Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Omg I Just Ate Cake 8 Days After Surgery

& i don't feel too well now, to top it off I had it with a tea. It was a sponge type so not to heavy. Or at least that's what I thought :( its just so hard having big family gatherings and a table full of yummy food and dessert, and not having anything!!! I am just always failing with this post op liquid stage. What else can I have apart from Soup, actually I think I'm failing in that too because the soup I have is like a thicker purée type. Not like a broth. I had a small bowl of ice cream too, earlier on the day. Am I going to get a leak or damage my sleeve?? Please any advice?

Well to state the obvious... that was a bad idea. And ur body is already showing you. Will the cake cause a leak? ...Prob Not...

Are you gonna be sick....Yes. Like someone else said. You are now a baby.... would you give ur 8day baby cake...Hell No. Although ur baby tummy will grow up quick. Pls wait on it. When everyone sits down to eat get up and take a walk...call a old friend. We are here to HeLP

Stop now! Take a walk, take a nap, go see a movie, get engrossed in a book, but do anything you can to get away from the food. Be super aware of your body and how you are feeling. If you notice anything at all call your doctor. You may have done some damage and need to be checked out/treated. I know it is hard, but it really isn't optional right now. You can and may have done real damage to yourself. I know it seems like forever, but you will be back to regular foods before you know it. However, if you damage your sleeve and/or get a leak it can add months to the liquid stage....not to mention worse consequences. I am praying for you.

Did you need to do a pre-approval phase at all? Did you need to have psychological counseling? Did you need to pre-diet or do a pre-op shake phase?

People that haven't been sleeved that read this - go into this 100% invested in it, because without that, you could hurt yourself.

At 4 weeks I got in trouble from my nutritionist for eating 1% cottage cheese (3 teaspoons!!) I was told I HAVE to be careful because the first 6 weeks you can get a leak, you could hear the strain when I said I also tried a few bites of a poached egg. Albeit, my nutritionist and surgeon are a lot more strict than many I have seen here, but really, you should know that the sugar is HORRIBLE for your sleeve, horrible for your diet and not good for you, period.

I think calling your surgeon, nutritionist, or getting some psychological counseling is what you are going to need. 8 days after surgery I could barely get down Water and a Protein shake. It's as though you are completely and utterly trying to sabotage yourself, you need to look at the big picture.

Many of us have families, and gatherings, and I have to cook for mine, but I don't get to eat what they are eating. I would stay away from them when they are eating things I can't eat.

The sleeve is a tool, you need to learn to use the tool and I'm going on six weeks out and I wouldn't even remotely think of ice cream or cake.

You need to realize right now you are just recovering from a MAJOR surgery. Having 85% of your stomach removed is extremely major. Your entire *stomach was cut in 1/2 and staples were put in. You are most likely suffering some depression after surgery and my suggestion is if you feel like you are going to lose control, go brush your teeth and drink some more Water, take something for acid, take a gas-x.

The grumbling you feel in your stomach is NOT hunger, it's acid, gas, or your stomach attempting to heal after a very serious surgery.

Best of luck.

Did you need to do a pre-approval phase at all? Did you need to have psychological counseling? Did you need to pre-diet or do a pre-op shake phase?

People that haven't been sleeved that read this - go into this 100% invested in it' date=' because without that, you could hurt yourself.

At 4 weeks I got in trouble from my nutritionist for eating 1% cottage cheese (3 teaspoons!!) I was told I HAVE to be careful because the first 6 weeks you can get a leak, you could hear the strain when I said I also tried a few bites of a poached egg. Albeit, my nutritionist and surgeon are a lot more strict than many I have seen here, but really, you should know that the sugar is HORRIBLE for your sleeve, horrible for your diet and not good for you, period.

I think calling your surgeon, nutritionist, or getting some psychological counseling is what you are going to need. 8 days after surgery I could barely get down Water and a Protein shake. It's as though you are completely and utterly trying to sabotage yourself, you need to look at the big picture.

Many of us have families, and gatherings, and I have to cook for mine, but I don't get to eat what they are eating. I would stay away from them when they are eating things I can't eat.

The sleeve is a tool, you need to learn to use the tool and I'm going on six weeks out and I wouldn't even remotely think of ice cream or cake.

You need to realize right now you are just recovering from a MAJOR surgery. Having 85% of your stomach removed is extremely major. Your entire *stomach was cut in 1/2 and staples were put in. You are most likely suffering some depression after surgery and my suggestion is if you feel like you are going to lose control, go brush your teeth and drink some more Water, take something for acid, take a gas-x.

The grumbling you feel in your stomach is NOT hunger, it's acid, gas, or your stomach attempting to heal after a very serious surgery.

Best of luck.[/quote']

Hi Mina

Thanks for replying, I really do need a wake up call. No I didn't need to do any counseling, approval or a pre op diet. I just figured if I chew enough it would end up being like liquid form when it goes down and it may be ok, because I am only getting in about 500 cals a day and I thought it probably wouldn't matter too much. I know it is wrong and it's the wrong way to think, but I can't help it. I just feel like I am going to fail, I just don't have any willpower. :(

I'd have to second the above post. I mean really....is there any cake worth literally dying for? I have a family and eating cake that soon after surgery could literally take you from them. I'd call your doctor immediately and get yourself some counseling pronto before you do serious damage to your stomach.

Mishy, is that the only thing you've had that you shouldn't other than the Soup? The cake and ice cream is not going to damage your sleeve. I think some of the responses to your post are alarmist. Obviously, its not good to go for that so soon after your surgery, but you are probably in the same state I was at that point where you are feeling a little depressed and resentful of what you have done to your body. You just need to follow the post op diet to a T, especially the liquid part. If YOU feel that you need counseling then by all means, call your Dr and see what they have to say. I found that the best thing for me was to drink my shake with my family and then when I was done, take a little walk while they were finishing up. I ate a french fry less than 2 weeks after surgery, just because everyone else had them. It didnt kill me, but I didnt feel so well afterwards. You just need to take care of yourself right now. Good luck to you :)

The problem is of you do not change your eating habits such as sweets you will struggle on this journey. The reason we are all here is because we are stuff that was not good for us. We all had to go through the different phases out is too soon to mess up hang in there and yes you could hurt your stomach it is still healing be kind to yourself

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

Mishy,

While I know there is cause for alarm, I and I am sure everyone relates to how hard this is for you. I am going on my 5th day after surgery and to be frank, I feel no change. It's actually easy. Which I am kind of mad at, I want this to be hard, a constant reminder that I can't eat things. But it's not and my doctor has progressed me to puréed foods already cause I am having such an easy go and in all honestly - I don't want an easy go! - I want to eat a piece of cake and instantly throw up, that to me seems so much easier. I have lived my entire life eating whatever I want and admittedly I chose this surgery to help me not do that, or at least dramatically help with that and maybe it will, but 5 days out and it seems like all I did yesterday was eat, just doesn't seem right. I posted on another thread about that and got great support and feedback and today is a new day. But I want you to know you're not alone, this forum is going to be a life saver for me, and I'm here if you want to email me directly ever just to vent cause no matter how supportive friends and family are they don't understand like I know these people on here do. Btw my surgery was July 9 so we are similar it may be neat to be each others helping hand. Just know I'm just an email away, cake wont kill you today but it has been one of the negatives that has gotten you to this point, so it's not helping you. You are worth more than a piece of cake. :-)

I have a friend who ate a Keebler type chocolate chip cookie ten days after surgery and ended up in hospital for two weeks. So I'd not say I'm being an alarmist at all. Her story will keep me on the straight and narrow believe me! We all heal differently. What might be fine for one may be dangerous for another which is why following the post op diet is so important. Unless you have previously had the majority of an organ removed, you don't know our healing rate and to push it or encourage that is not responsible.

& i don't feel too well now' date=' to top it off I had it with a tea. It was a sponge type so not to heavy. Or at least that's what I thought :( its just so hard having big family gatherings and a table full of yummy food and dessert, and not having anything!!! I am just always failing with this post op liquid stage. What else can I have apart from Soup, actually I think I'm failing in that too because the Soup I have is like a thicker purée type. Not like a broth. I had a small bowl of ice cream too, earlier on the day. Am I going to get a leak or damage my sleeve?? Please any advice?[/quote']

Yes it's hard, trust me I'm 7 days out and middle eastern and my sister is visiting from out of town, that means Breakfast, lunch and dinner and I'm in liquids. U have to focus on why u did the surgery, before u know you will be eating normal foods again. If u want dessert carb smart makes these fudge pops with only 3 carbs and 2 gr Protein for just 100 calories. They r really yummy and fight the cravings . U can do it . We can do it!

Every single person is different! I am 12 days post op today - and have felt GREAT the whole time. My surgeon wants me on full liquids for two weeks, then soft foods for 4 weeks.....needless to say, I CAN"T wait to have SOMETHING to chew!! I feel your pain! I think days 6-11 were really hard...not as bad today. SOmething I did - and yes it is a cheat, but is satisfied me without a lot of guilt! I took an ounce of hard parmesan and nibbled on it for an extended period. I figured it would be like cheese soup!! It gave me something to "chew", had bold flavor, and isn't bad for you....just a little early progression.....

I hope the rest of your days are a little easier, I know each day is easier for me....God Bless!

No need to make someone who struggles feel even more ashamed than they already are. Its one think to give advice and another to judge. just because it was so easy for you to follow doesn't mean it is for everyone else. I was eating things I shouldn't on my liquid diet and I don't feel guilty. Your body will tell you what you need to know when you eat something you're not suppose to and you will go through the discomforts and learn what you can and cannot eat. I recommend staying with your diet and not cheat but I bet we are not the only ones who have cheated. Not many people will admit when they have cheated. But reading some of theses responses tick me off cuz it always turns in to omg I can't believe you would risk your life or omg you need counseling. Just cuz you had the sleeve does not make you an expert! Just sayin!

That is very true! We're supposed to support and help not make people feel terrible.

Don't wait for the willpower to kick in- this is your life we are talking about, not just being unhealthy and miserable. You actually CAN kill yourself by doing things like this. If you rupture your suture line, that's going to be hell. Think of yourself and your family.

Sent from my iPhone using VST