Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any July 2011 Bandsters?

Hey there,

Dr. Nain did my surgery. During my stay at Potomac, I saw Dr. Nain three times, the Nurse Practitioner and Dr. Halmi stopped by to see how I was doing. Very nice, organized practice. I think I won't mind all the after care that us banders have to have.

Lisa

@LisaB: who did your surgery? Dr. Moazzez did mine and I was very pleased with Bluepoint.

Kim,

Congratulations on your decision. There are so many proven good reasons to have this or another gastric procedure done to improve your health and quality of life. A lot of us on this posting have been looking for support and have gotten it. Take time to go back to page 1 and review all of conversations, it will be a real help. After we have our procedures done, we are flipping to the post-operation section in July, although some of us will be on both. So, welcome to the family and enjoy!

Lisa

Hey Lisa,

My surgery is scheduled for July 19...day 3 of preop diet..I am diabetic, have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, diabetic neurophathy and 40% kidney damage. I'm 42 yrs. old and the mother of 4 wonderful children ages 21, 15, 13 and 9. I just wanna live to be a grandma and like you ..just wanna feel healthy and join the rest of the world. I was a lil nervous about the surgery but considering its a outpatient procedure ..I calmed down...I am wishing you the best ...be strong ..love yourself ....WE CAN DO IT!!!!

Hey Shauna,

I wasn't as nervous as I was concerned that I may not be ready to give up the big Tbone or the dinners out at my favorite place Osaka Steakhouse with all that yummy rice. How on earth am I going to order food out from menus that do not allow grown people to order off the kids meal, you know! Are there any suggestions out there?

Just make sure that when you come home, you don't do 5 loads of laundry and start cleaning the house (just to say I've done something) Not feeling the best today. My port location is sore. and I slept til 10am today.

Just know that if we do our part, the band will do it's parts and we will be healthier for it in the long run, and we deserve that!:rolleyes:

Talk to you soon.

Lisa

Thanks for all the feedback on the shots! I think I will be able to do them.

Good news...I finally got my final clearance from my PCP along with all blood work, etc. I was already scheduled but I guess it was possible that something could hold it up if something came back on the tests. So it is a definite go for the 15th. I'm as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs! How is everyone else dealing with the anxiety, or downright cold feet?

Shauna

Thanks so much for your insight. It helps in seeing what is down the road for us 07/11ers!!!

Lisa

Good Luck Peeps - I'm a July Bander too ;0) 7/07 - 4 yrs this month

Your band is a great tool - use it wisely - make the lifetime lifestyle change in your eating and exercise habits and you will succeed..

52 when banded 250 lbs - today 56 and 136-139 lbs - feel 10 yrs younger - have 100% more energy..

I lost the majority of my weight in the 1st yr (105 lbs) then lost the rest in the next few months..

I have never dieted - I eat healthy - I exercise - I kept a food diary the 1st yr - counting calories & pt grms - I also weighed and measured my food till I learned what a 1/4 looks like or 4 oz of meat..

Prayers for a safe surgeries & speedy recoveries for all of you..

There are little business sized cards that you can get (one came from lapband.com and one came from a Vitamin sample) that say you had bariatric surgery to please allow you to order a smaller portion or order from the children's menu. :)

Hey Shauna,

I wasn't as nervous as I was concerned that I may not be ready to give up the big Tbone or the dinners out at my favorite place Osaka Steakhouse with all that yummy rice. How on earth am I going to order food out from menus that do not allow grown people to order off the kids meal, you know! Are there any suggestions out there?

Just make sure that when you come home, you don't do 5 loads of laundry and start cleaning the house (just to say I've done something) Not feeling the best today. My port location is sore. and I slept til 10am today.

Just know that if we do our part, the band will do it's parts and we will be healthier for it in the long run, and we deserve that!:rolleyes:

Talk to you soon.

Lisa

Hello

Just banded on 7/7. I must say I wasn't prepared for this painful recovery. I guess I had just thought of the new life style and how to handle it. This is my third day and I am started to feel a little better. I know its going to be worth it :)

I was banded on the 30th, so far no problems, I too cheated a little everyday, in fact after surgery i ate about 10 potato chips, just let them melt in my mouth. I wouldn't suggest it though. I had to pay cash for this so there is more incentive for this to work. I would do it again..have been doing better and losing weight.

For those interested, I put the powdered Peanut Butter info on my blog. I'll also cross post in the July 2011 post op group. :)

Amy

Hi Shauna and Rebecca,

I am on day 5 of liquid pre op and from everything I have read there seems to be such a vast difference of opinion on why and what is the deal with the liquid diet, so I asked my doc yesterday at our last visit before surgery was the liquid diet neccessary for the surgery, was I supposed to be getting a certain amount of Protein or can I eat Water veggies and boiled chicken. He replied If you can't take the liquid diet now how are you supposed to do it after the surgery. So many people do not do the liquid diet preop. It seems a bit unfair, but oh well. Today the weight feels like it is falling off of me. I suppose thats a good feeling, How much have you guys lost in your re op liquid so far.

I don't know how important it actually is, but I do know that I had a weak moment tonight and ate Pasta with my kids and am now a nervous, guilty wreck!

Starting my pre-op diet on the 14th, 2 weeks before surgery on the 28th. I'm starting to get super excited! I am already planning my work outs once I get to a weight that my knees don't hurt after working all day (I am a hair stylist).

My friend's boyfriend trains professional fighters, he's going to help me pick a good Protein Shake supplement to use for my diet based on the criteria the doctors gave me.

I have run into one problem though -- I have been told that when I take 7 days off of work for surgery and recovery, I may not have my job anymore. A bit upset about this - but I'm not willing to put my health on the backburner for a job. No thanks. Good riddance, imo :)

I am being banded on the thursday and hoping to be back to work on the Monday, but its a sit down job so I am hoping for the best.

Good Luck with the job thing!!!!! Hopefully you won't loose it.

Starting my pre-op diet on the 14th, 2 weeks before surgery on the 28th. I'm starting to get super excited! I am already planning my work outs once I get to a weight that my knees don't hurt after working all day (I am a hair stylist).

My friend's boyfriend trains professional fighters, he's going to help me pick a good Protein shake supplement to use for my diet based on the criteria the doctors gave me.

I have run into one problem though -- I have been told that when I take 7 days off of work for surgery and recovery, I may not have my job anymore. A bit upset about this - but I'm not willing to put my health on the backburner for a job. No thanks. Good riddance, imo :)

Wow, Erica! It sounds like it might be time for a new job, anyway! I can't believe that taking off a week for surgery puts your job at risk. That's obnoxious!

My friend's boyfriend trains professional fighters, he's going to help me pick a good Protein shake supplement to use for my diet based on the criteria the doctors gave me.

Hi Shauna and Rebecca,

I am on day 5 of liquid pre op and from everything I have read there seems to be such a vast difference of opinion on why and what is the deal with the liquid diet, so I asked my doc yesterday at our last visit before surgery was the liquid diet neccessary for the surgery, was I supposed to be getting a certain amount of Protein or can I eat Water veggies and boiled chicken. He replied If you can't take the liquid diet now how are you supposed to do it after the surgery. So many people do not do the liquid diet preop. It seems a bit unfair, but oh well. Today the weight feels like it is falling off of me. I suppose thats a good feeling, How much have you guys lost in your re op liquid so far.

I know I'm not Shauna or Rebecca, but I thought I'd just add to what you posted... I was banded on July 6th, just 3 days ago. I had to do a preop liquid diet, no food, just Protein Drinks, for 2 weeks. Granted, a few nights I did have some lettuce, onions and peppers with a tablespoon of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and on the second to last day I did cheat a little at a BBQ. But for the most part, I stuck to the diet. After surgery, my surgeon requires only Water or crystal light the day of surgery and day 1 post op. Days 2-6 post op is clear Protein drinks and Clear Liquids like broth or herbal tea. Days 7-14 are Protein Shakes with milk. Days 14-21 is pureeds and mushies and last but absolutely not least, 1-2 weeks after mushies I can start introducing regular foods slowly.

With all that being said, for me personally, there is NO WAY I would be able to handle all that without a 2 week liquid diet. Mentally, I wouldn't be able to handle it. I know myself. And if I had to deal with just having surgery and the realization that I wouldn't be having real food (as opposed to fake...? lol) for weeks, I would probably not be able to do it. My surgeon has strict guidelines but I completely trust that he makes the right decisions for his patients. I know 2 other patients of his and they have had great success.

Also, the preop diet takes off some nice lbs! I lost 10.2 in my pre op. So it's a nice jump start for weight loss too. So keep your head up and you'll be in the hospital for surgery in NO TIME! I can't believe I'm post op already!!! A year of thinking and researching and here I am :)

Best of luck :)

Hey There,

Just looking for any July 2011 banders. I just started my process, but as that I am "self-pay", I am on a fast track to surgery. Although, not terribly obese (bmi 34), I am using lap band surgery as a tool for continued success after loosing weight. I have always been able to join a program(diet or exercise or prescription) and loose weight.....I've done it several times with several different programs (not a good thing), but I always gain the weight back and more. Now that I am in my 40s, it is harder to loose and faster to come back. No more, I say! I want to be heathy in my future - family history/genetics dictates that I will/can be using a walker or wheel chair from degenerative bones and joints, heart disease, diabetes. I am trying to steer clear of that but still keep seeing myself heading in that direction, so now is the time for further action. Although apprehensive about going under, I am reading all the good things about the lap band procedure and am hoping that it is just a little more than the tubiligation and endemetrial ablasion that I had done last year. At least, I am thinking of it that way, so as to not scare myself too badly!

Lisa B - Northern Virginia

Hi Lisa B,

I am scheduled to be banded on 7/21 and I'm excited. I started this process over 6 months ago and really didn't feel that confident that my insurance would over the procedure because I too have a BMI of 34. Thankfully they authorized it with no questions so I am counting down the days. My history is very similar to yours in that I have tried numerous diets and lost the weight, but gained it all back. (How frustrating is that?) I am over 40 with three children and finally realized that I needed to take control of my weight and lap band is just the tool to help me along. Good luck to you.

Good Luck Peeps - I'm a July Bander too ;0) 7/07 - 4 yrs this month

Your band is a great tool - use it wisely - make the lifetime lifestyle change in your eating and exercise habits and you will succeed..

52 when banded 250 lbs - today 56 and 136-139 lbs - feel 10 yrs younger - have 100% more energy..

I lost the majority of my weight in the 1st yr (105 lbs) then lost the rest in the next few months..

I have never dieted - I eat healthy - I exercise - I kept a food diary the 1st yr - counting calories & pt grms - I also weighed and measured my food till I learned what a 1/4 looks like or 4 oz of meat..

Prayers for a safe surgeries & speedy recoveries for all of you..

Great advice. And what a great success you are! I was banded this past Wednesday, July 6th. The first 2 days post op were very difficult for me--not because of my stomach, but because of the anesthesia. I had a terrible headache and all of my muscles were extremely sore... I was walking like Frankenstein lol But today I have a whole new attitude. I am feeling MUCH better and I cannot wait to use this brand new tool inside of me. With hard work, I have nothing but good things ahead of me :) I hope to be an inspiration like you. Thanks for the prayers, and I'll pray for your continued success :)

Hi! I will be banded on July 14. I am excited and nervous all at the same time.