Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any July 2011 Bandsters?

Well, congrats to EVERYONE in July!!! I won't be checking here anymore, but I'll be around on the post op board. In case you missed it, here is the direct link so you can find everyone.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/132493-july-2011-bandsters/page__st__560

:) Amy

So, its August 1 and all of us July Banders should be over on the post op side by now. This has been a really great group of folks to get information and support from. Little did I know when I posted in June about finding a couple people to chat with would I be a part of nearly 20,000 people looking at our postings and nearly 1000 people responding. Let's keep up the lines of communication over on the "other side". Amy, Shauna, Kate - I have been blessed with the support that you have given to me and the rest of our crew.

Cheers to our health and well being - no matter how long or how many little set backs that we will all have, as long as we are going forward and loosing - we are on the right track.

Lisa

yes, July banders did great. I am down 22 pounds. What a great feeling!

Hi all July bansters: I too have a date for July 25th. I've been researching this for over a year. The last two days I have read some scary things about the band. One lady on this site said she got Esophogeal Cancer from her band. She has leisons that must be removed from her esophogus. She has the band for 5 years and was successful at losing but now has major problems. I know that acid reflux can cause Barretts Esophogus which can lead to cancer. Another lady developed auto immune disease (scleroderma) after 5 years with the band. She blames it on the band also and is on steroids for her disease. Said her husband got it too after being banded. Is it just me or is it possible that the band does cause some serious complications down the road??? Really re-considering my choices here. I worked so hard to get approved and get to this point but now I really don't know. Emailed Allergan who makes the lapband and they sent me all their stats.....alot of medical terms, etc. Any thoughts ? ? ?

Hi Cat Lady (and others)!

I've been lurking around here long enough and decided to post since we have something in common (age---I'm right behind you) and I've also been having second thoughts recently. I am self pay and was on the fast track to be banded in 2 weeks and just changed my mind today! (I really should quit watching all those videos of the surgeries!) I decided to have the gastic plication done instead, mainly because I live over 100 miles from the first surgeon (Dr. Bovard) and feel like having to travel that far for the $200 fills will be too much. My new doctor is Enochs in Cary and he requires the other stuff like the sleep study, the psychiatric eval and nutrition visit so that will delay my surgery but hope to have everything ready by the 21st of September when I hope to be plicated.

I hope you and all July 2011 Bandsters are doing well post-op!!:)

Hi Cat Lady (and others)!

I've been lurking around here long enough and decided to post since we have something in common (age---I'm right behind you) and I've also been having second thoughts recently. I am self pay and was on the fast track to be banded in 2 weeks and just changed my mind today! (I really should quit watching all those videos of the surgeries!) I decided to have the gastic plication done instead, mainly because I live over 100 miles from the first surgeon (Dr. Bovard) and feel like having to travel that far for the $200 fills will be too much. My new doctor is Enochs in Cary and he requires the other stuff like the sleep study, the psychiatric eval and nutrition visit so that will delay my surgery but hope to have everything ready by the 21st of September when I hope to be plicated.

I hope you and all July 2011 Bandsters are doing well post-op!!:)

Hi: Happy you made the decision to do this. I also was very hesitant to make a decision to get banded. Researched for too long! I was banded last Monday 7/25 and am so happy I did this. So far its been really easy for me. Surgery not bad at all. liquid diet is kind of getting to me but I can deal with it. Agree that the driving 100 miles would be a problem down the road. Good Luck with journey and keep us posted.CAT

Hi, I am in the same boat. I am self pay and my bmi is 33/ today 32 (2nd day on liquid diet). I need to lose 50lbs. Couple of questions please; How long did you stay in the hospital. I am hoping I can get out of there within a few hours. Also, did you have to do the liquid diet? Tell how its going with you!! Thank you!

Hi Lisa (that's my sister's name!)

Wow, we should stick together. I am also self pay and expecting surgery sometime in July. I have a BMI of 33 and have also lost hundreds and gained them back over the last 25 years. I am 39, so we are close in age too!

I am nervous as all heck. I'm not so much afraid of going under as I am of post-surgical pain and the lovely "stucks" and "PBs", possibly vomiting. I've been reading the LBT forums and they go from helping me to making me more nervous. I just hope I am doing the right thing. Please email me at potukmail@gmail.com if you want to chat.

I went home the same day as my surgery. My surgery was at 8am and I was discharge home around 1:30pm that same day. The liquid diet sucks, but it does help you get in the mindset post-band. The first few days of the liquid diet are the hardest. By the time you get to your surgery date you'll be used to it which is actually good because after your band you'll be on liquids for a while as well. Today is 2 weeks since I've been banded. I've lost about 14 pounds since I started the liquid diet.

Hi, I am in the same boat. I am self pay and my bmi is 33/ today 32 (2nd day on Liquid diet). I need to lose 50lbs. Couple of questions please; How long did you stay in the hospital. I am hoping I can get out of there within a few hours. Also, did you have to do the liquid diet? Tell how its going with you!! Thank you!

Tennis lover: I am i week post op and still on liquid diet. Seeing doc on Monday....hope to go to mushies then. I did stay in hospital overnight. My doc requires this from everyone. It was good for me bcause I got the needed rest. Was walking the halls 6 hrs post surgery. Doing well now.....no real pain to mention. Liquid diet it rough. CAT

I'll be getting banded in July of 2012 ! I thought I'd be like the ONLY one out there waiting sooo long to do it :[[ I wish it was tomorrow, or would of been today. But due to finances and work, I'll have to start the beginning of my lift next July 16th ! laugh.gif I'm so excited and so terribly nervous. Who knew excited and terrible could be in the same sentence wink.gifAnyways where is everybody getting banded at ? I want one of those cute flashing banners too !biggrin.gif

Congrats on your journey.. You will be so pleased as you go down this path. Just walk and stay on your plan and you will lose.. it's slow.. about 2 lbs per week, but this time, it will stay off... unlike dieting.

Hang in there and let us know how you are doing..

Bandit

I am having my banding done Friday at Ochsners medical center in New Orleans. I have pretty much been on a liguid Protein Shake diet for the past 10 days. I thought I would lose lots of weight on this liquid diet....but I have not. What about yall?

I was also banded july 13 2011 and also am paying out of pocket i have lost 17 pounds going for my second fill sept 6 2011 ,just fill like i am loosing very slowly....

Congrats on your decision to get banded. I am also a July bander. I do not have a surgery date yet. I am going through private insurance so I had to do a 6 month medically supervised diet. July 6th will be my 6 month mark. I am hoping to have surgery either July 13th or July 20th. I am insulin resistant with chronic back pain. I also have a family history of diabtes and all the bad stuff. I am hoping to stop the history and reverse the bad. I had a partial hysterictomy romval of one tube and ovary due to PCOS. Hopefully this surgery will help with some of the complications due to PCOS ( Polycystic Ovary Syndrome). Do you know when you will get your surgery date? I am also doing a vlog on youtube. You can find me by typing in blackberrry princess. Good luck and keep us updated!