Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any July 2011 Bandsters?

Hi, I am having my surgery on Tuesday. How did you do with the pre-op diet? Also, how did you ask to have your bowels opened? Have you experienced any dumping feelings. . . Thanks for anything you can provide..Im getting kind of nervous. Im doing my grocery shopping tommorow.....how has your family been?

Hi there! I somewhat 'cheated' on my liquid diet.......I had my shakes for Breakfast & lunch and then had a healthy dinner (a small portion) I felt so bad the day before my surgery when I bought & ate a whole burger! My surgery was a success and the doctor said there were no problems at all.

My bowels still havent opened and it has been a week! If your bowels are not opening on the liquid pre-op diet, I strongly recommend taking a laxative and emptying the load! As most of my pain now is because Im 'backed up' Ive started taking metamucil fibresure daily, although its hard to drink because it has to be dissolved in a glass of Water, and me drinking a glass of water takes a whole day lol not to mention the supradyn (vitamin & mineral supplement) which I also have to dissolve in a glass of water! So Im trying to blend up lots of vegetables and do things naturally :)

I have had dumping feelings and although at first I was like 'whats going on' later I realised it was ok. Im burping alot which feels good and Im having a bit of gurgling, but hardly feeling hungry at all! Ive lost 5 kilograms total so far :D

My family have been slack as usual lol Im managing doing the washing, ironing, cleaning slowly but surely! I had a hysterectomy last year so this surgery seems like somewhat of a breeze through the park :D

The hardest thing Im finding is swallowing all the pills I have to.....I find they fill me up lol I take 8 tablets a day.....5 at night and 3 in the morning so its quite filling! If you take any regular medications find out with your doctor if they have a liquid form :)

I wish you the best! Dont be nervous, I was so nervous and now realise there was no need to be :) I look forward to hearing how you are doing :o)

Ok...tomorrow is my Clear Liquids day. Then Tuesday is 'B' day and I am beginning to feel the anxiety that everyone was talking about just before surgery. I'm ready for this and have been for a long time. I am focused on my goal and by the end of the day tomorrow my household will be ready for me to return after my hospital stay. I have had 5 surgeries in the past 11 months all related to my cancer dx so I am not afraid of surgery itself or pain of any kind, but I think its the whole 'elective' aspect that is bothering me. Those other procedures were pretty much, (not to be dramatic here) but dr recommended life and death type stuff. I think the reason I am freaking out a little is because if something happens... I CHOSE this.

IDK... maybe they shouldn't let any of us preops post 2 days prior to surgery. lol! I think a lot of us reach a little bit of a panic point right around here. :blink::rolleyes:

You'll be fine :) One of the benefits of being in the July group (and being at the end of the month) is that you get to see us be all nervous, dramatic and generally freaking out. And you also see us now, perfectly fine. I read the message board nonstop in the days before my surgery. All of you guys are what got me though it (and continue to support me). :) I'm a giant weenie. If I got through this, anyone can. I really mean that!! :)

Amy

Ok...tomorrow is my clear liquids day. Then Tuesday is 'B' day and I am beginning to feel the anxiety that everyone was talking about just before surgery. I'm ready for this and have been for a long time. I am focused on my goal and by the end of the day tomorrow my household will be ready for me to return after my hospital stay. I have had 5 surgeries in the past 11 months all related to my cancer dx so I am not afraid of surgery itself or pain of any kind, but I think its the whole 'elective' aspect that is bothering me. Those other procedures were pretty much, (not to be dramatic here) but dr recommended life and death type stuff. I think the reason I am freaking out a little is because if something happens... I CHOSE this.

IDK... maybe they shouldn't let any of us preops post 2 days prior to surgery. lol! I think a lot of us reach a little bit of a panic point right around here. :blink::rolleyes:

You'll be fine :) One of the benefits of being in the July group (and being at the end of the month) is that you get to see us be all nervous, dramatic and generally freaking out. And you also see us now, perfectly fine. I read the message board nonstop in the days before my surgery. All of you guys are what got me though it (and continue to support me). :) I'm a giant weenie. If I got through this, anyone can. I really mean that!! :)

Amy

Hey girls: On my way to the hospital it is 5:00 am. surgery scheduled for 7 am. I am all of the above.....so please say a little prayer that all goes well for me as it has for our July bandsters before me. Good Luck. CAT

Hey girls: On my way to the hospital it is 5:00 am. surgery scheduled for 7 am. I am all of the above.....so please say a little prayer that all goes well for me as it has for our July bandsters before me. Good Luck. CAT

Hi Cat,

Kind of knew I would find you on line before the op. We have a great Dr. Dr. G will make sure you are well and in good hands. I will say a prayer for you today. Might see you later after the op if not see you on line and at the next meeting.

Mary

Still thinking of you all lovelies!!!

Ditto ... tomorrow is the big day!!!! Can't wait to get in there and get it over with and start the process. I am so excited, nervous, scared, happy, etc. My fear is the 'what ifs'. I am cash pay (insurance would not cover), what if my band slips, etc.? Lot's of trouble could loom, but I'm just going to have to deal with it, not when, but IF it happens.

That's the dark stuff, I'm going to try to push those things out of my head and get healthy and active. My goal is to run/walk a 5k by Thanksgiving. (it's been my goal for a few years, perhaps this year will be the one!)

Good luck to all today and to you tomorrow!!!!

Serifa

Ok...tomorrow is my clear liquids day. Then Tuesday is 'B' day and I am beginning to feel the anxiety that everyone was talking about just before surgery. I'm ready for this and have been for a long time. I am focused on my goal and by the end of the day tomorrow my household will be ready for me to return after my hospital stay. I have had 5 surgeries in the past 11 months all related to my cancer dx so I am not afraid of surgery itself or pain of any kind, but I think its the whole 'elective' aspect that is bothering me. Those other procedures were pretty much, (not to be dramatic here) but dr recommended life and death type stuff. I think the reason I am freaking out a little is because if something happens... I CHOSE this.

Thank you for all the support Ladies! I'm feeling better this morning after a good night's sleep. About to get my day started with a cup of coffee then I'll be like the Tasmanian Devil running around the house cleaning everything before surgery tomorrow. I go to the hospital around noon time tomorrow which is going to be WONDERFUL. I love that I don't have to be up in the wee hours of the morning for this. I get to sleep in! :D lol

Serifa, I am hoping for a similar NSV. Our annual Susan G, Komen Race for the Cure is in September. Last year I entered and walked the 5k as a newly diagnosed patient. This year I plan to cross the finish line running as a survivor! Best of luck to you in your Quest for that 5k... you CAN do it!

May I join you!? LOL.

Congrats to all the new July banders!! I have not read all 46 pages of this thread but I have read many and I see that so many are making great progress and recovering well already! Gives me hope! Thank you.

A prayer for everyone being banded this week!! We can get through these few days of nervousness and jitters and come out the other side just like the other July bandsters!!

My date is Thursday, July 28th. My friend and I are getting banded together. She goes in at 9am and I go in at 10am. So excited and of course very nervous!!

Looking forward to making this journey with all of you!!

Way to go, Razz. Are you home now? I know you had to take quite a travel adventure to get this done.

For me it was still the Protein Drinks the day before surgery and now for 5 days post-op is is clear liquids only.

Guest Rock4Light401

Hello Everyone,

I was banded Thursday 7/21 and am doing well. I was a mess in the pre op room but all went well. I did have a hernia repair as well. The shoulder pain has been worse then the entrance wounds but it has all been tolerable...sometimes with the help of my roxicet perscription. I am also having trouble with what i can only assume is gas pains feeling close to my chest. I have been sticking to Water and popsicles and I am back to work today. I still feel kind of jumbled up inside but seems to be doing well. Congrats to all other recent banders, and to the ones coming up....its no sweat

Way to go, Razz. Are you home now? I know you had to take quite a travel adventure to get this done.

I am back home now. I needed to spend the night and then flew home in the early afternoon. Unfortunately, I was assigned the middle seat for the 4 hour flight, and it was a bit uncomfortable.

Last night was rough, again with the shoulder pain. I also didn't expect to be as hungry as I am. I am certainly looking forward to the mushies stage at this point!

But all in all, these are just small prices that I am willing to pay to lose this weight for good.

Hi

Being banded tomorrow. Just got the call that I am the first case of the day [5:30 a.m.].

Now the emotions start full gear. Prayers tonight.

Very confidence...

God bless.

Can I join yall? I found out last week that my insurance approved surgery, but only if I have it before July is over! Seems since I started the process 2 years (!!) ago that I will have to redo stuff and resubmit to insurance if I wait any longer, so I am having surgery this Wednesday July 27! I was told to expect insurance to take 6 weeks to come back and they came back in less than five days! I am on a preop diet now, since I didnt even know I was having surgery until less than a week before I am not going to be on it for the 2 weeks my surgeon prefers. Luckily its really easy to follow, I can have real food for breakfast (choose two from: egg, bagel, toast, or yogurt), a Protein Shake for lunch (been buying the EAS Protein Shakes and like them enough) and then I can have one lean Protein and green veggies for dinner and a protein shake as a fourth meal. I never get around to the fourth meal though, just make sure I keep my protein about 60-75 gms as my surgeon recommended. Ive lost 12 pounds on the preop diet! I am not worried about post-op, I am worried about something happening during surgery, but more than anything I am excited!

Can I join yall? I found out last week that my insurance approved surgery, but only if I have it before July is over! Seems since I started the process 2 years (!!) ago that I will have to redo stuff and resubmit to insurance if I wait any longer, so I am having surgery this Wednesday July 27! I was told to expect insurance to take 6 weeks to come back and they came back in less than five days! I am on a preop diet now, since I didnt even know I was having surgery until less than a week before I am not going to be on it for the 2 weeks my surgeon prefers. Luckily its really easy to follow, I can have real food for breakfast (choose two from: egg, bagel, toast, or yogurt), a Protein Shake for lunch (been buying the EAS Protein Shakes and like them enough) and then I can have one lean Protein and green veggies for dinner and a protein shake as a fourth meal. I never get around to the fourth meal though, just make sure I keep my protein about 60-75 gms as my surgeon recommended. Ive lost 12 pounds on the preop diet! I am not worried about post-op, I am worried about something happening during surgery, but more than anything I am excited!

Hi Juana,

Doctor did not put me on any special diet. I did not require one but I have been careful. I just returned from Vegas yesterday. While there I had responsibly and did a lot of walking on the strip to the point that I had to buy a knee support band. I am trying not to get nervous or anxious. It is on my mind because I have a paper to write for school that I have been putting off because I cannot concentrate but have to get it done tonight. Many prayers tonight. I am going to a support meeting tonight to help me calm down. I am on the OR schedule as the first case. I am a nurse so yes I can understand what you are saying about worrying more about the procedure. We have to stay calm and pray for protection during our procedure.

I will try to post tomorrow sometime or Wednesday once I have access to my computer.

Lydia