Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2010 Bandsters - post op

Hi all,

Well I too survived Turkey day. I am pretty much able to eat anything I want to include BREAD!! My Surgery was on November 3rd and I have been able to eat food since November 19th. I go for my first fill on Wednesday December 1st. I hope I will be like one of the ladies I work with, she had her surgery in March and has only had 1 fill and has lost 95lbs already. So far I am down a total of 31 Lbs since June when I first saw the surgeon and was put on a diet for 3 months before I could have surgery. I will say that I have not lost any weight in the last week; HOWEVER, I have found that I have lost 2 inches in my hips and 2.5 inches in my waist, so atleast I am still lossing inches even if the scale is not changing. YEA!!!!!

Glad to hear that everyone survived Thanksgiving, and is doing well. Hello to all the newbie’s! Well hope everyone has a great day!! Bye for now!

Hi guys,

I'm in bandster hell right now--where you haven't had a fill yet and you're starving. Sigh. I posted about it yesterday in the November 10 forum, but that seems to be sparsely attended. I ate too much at Thanksgiving, but I'm back on the wagon again as of Friday.

Hi all, I got my first fill today. Felt kinda weired but atleast it did not hurt at all. Kinda scared me when I saw the size of that needle, but no pain at all with the stick. I found out I have a 14cc Band, and she put 4cc in. I will be on liquids today, and mushies tomorrow. I will let you all know how things go. =-)

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to post to say it is finished!!!! :P Was banded successfully on Monday 29th and am now officially post op whoo hoooo!!! Not a lot of pain but quite a bit of soreness particularly on my left side in the port area. Luckily there hasn't been too much gas but I'm not going to count my chickens before they are hatched for it may be coming! Liquids have been going down fine as well as my pills so I thank God so far it's not too bad. I see my surgeon on the 14th for follow up...

Wow, December already huh? Time to usher in the December newbies! Congrats to all the November bandsters and keep us posted!

Susan

Hope you are doing well Susi!

Hi, I had my band fitted on 12th November. So far I've lost about 14lbs. Had it really bad after the op, ended up in hospital with severe wind pain, I was screaming with the pain. My only concern is my first fill won't be til after Xmas which I find a bit unusual. I don't really have any restriction and I'm worried that I'll overeat during the Xmas period. Have any of you guys had fills yet or when are ye due the first fill? I'm tempted to demand a fill!!!

Hi, I had my band fitted on 12th November. So far I've lost about 14lbs. Had it really bad after the op, ended up in hospital with severe wind pain, I was screaming with the pain. My only concern is my first fill won't be til after Xmas which I find a bit unusual. I don't really have any restriction and I'm worried that I'll overeat during the Xmas period. Have any of you guys had fills yet or when are ye due the first fill? I'm tempted to demand a fill!!!

I was Banded on November 3rd, I received my First Fill December 1st. (This past Wednesday) They may be making you wait to get your first fill since you had problems after the surgery.

I was banded 11/10, had no problems, and will get my first fill on 12/13. As far as I can tell, 4 to 6 weeks is the average to the first fill.

Sorry that you had trouble post-op, but be patient with yourself, you've just had a major transformation and healing is the priority above anything else, including getting a fill. How do you know that you will automatically NEED a fill? You may not, everyone is different so we can't go by the next person's experience. As we follow our post-op instructions we should all do well. Fills are suppose to be determined after we have done our part (without cheating) and are still feeling hungry. Give yourself a fighting chance!! If we get too many fills too soon, then later down the road when we really need them, we would have exhausted our supply, then what...?

Don't worry about overeating or anything else right now, just focus on HEALING. Be good to yourself, relax, and know that you are in good supportive company. This site has helped me tremendously and we can be there for you too!! ;)

Sorry that you had trouble post-op, but be patient with yourself, you've just had a major transformation and healing is the priority above anything else, including getting a fill. How do you know that you will automatically NEED a fill? You may not, everyone is different so we can't go by the next person's experience. As we follow our post-op instructions we should all do well. Fills are suppose to be determined after we have done our part (without cheating) and are still feeling hungry. Give yourself a fighting chance!! If we get too many fills too soon, then later down the road when we really need them, we would have exhausted our supply, then what...?

Don't worry about overeating or anything else right now, just focus on HEALING. Be good to yourself, relax, and know that you are in good supportive company. This site has helped me tremendously and we can be there for you too!! ;)

I, too, am approaching the time for my first fill. I'm interested in hearing from others who have had this already: is it uncomfortable to go through this? Do they give you lydocaine before they inject saline into the port? What is the post-process like for people? Did you feel that going on liquids for a couple of days, then smooth food for a couple of days, then diced foods, worked?

Also, I had my annual physical the other day. Although my blood pressure has dropped since the surgery, my NP put me back on a second of my former medications...hydrochlorothiazide. Although I was a little bummed out (my goal is to get off all of these meds) I went along. Well, the next day my weight, which had plateaued, dropped 1.5 lbs. The next day, another pound. Today, another. Since I am behaving in the same way around food, I have to believe that the medication -- which is a diuretic -- is making the difference. Whoo-hoo!!! Anyone had a similar experience?

Best,

Deb WS

weight.png

I, too, am approaching the time for my first fill. I'm interested in hearing from others who have had this already: is it uncomfortable to go through this? Do they give you lydocaine before they inject saline into the port? What is the post-process like for people? Did you feel that going on liquids for a couple of days, then smooth food for a couple of days, then diced foods, worked?

Also, I had my annual physical the other day. Although my blood pressure has dropped since the surgery, my NP put me back on a second of my former medications...hydrochlorothiazide. Although I was a little bummed out (my goal is to get off all of these meds) I went along. Well, the next day my weight, which had plateaued, dropped 1.5 lbs. The next day, another pound. Today, another. Since I am behaving in the same way around food, I have to believe that the medication -- which is a diuretic -- is making the difference. Whoo-hoo!!! Anyone had a similar experience?

Best,

Deb WS

weight.png

I just had my first fill on Dec 3rd, It was a little uncomfortable while they were trying to find the port, but once they did they used lidocaine to numb it so i didnt feel a thing. I hope i start losing soon because so far ive been at a stand still. I drank liquid the day of my fill and the next day when right back to regular food with no problem

Banded 11/10/10

Fill 12/3/10 4cc in a 12cc band

Hey All!!

I was banded on Nov. 21st :-) Feel amazing at the moment and since my post op appt. last Thrusday I've been given the OK to slowly introduce some regular food.

So far down 12 pounds but can't really tell where since I'm still kinda swollen from the surgery, but all in all feeling awesome :-) First fill is scehduled for Dec 23rd. woohoo!

Hope you all have a great week!

Had my first post-op appointment today! I have lost 21 pounds since beginning the liquid diet. I am feeling really great about that. On to mushy foods (I was trying lots of things already but now it's authorized). I have not been too hungry so this is pretty easy. I just have to get used to squeezing in all the Protein in a day.

weight.png

so I was banded on the 19th and tomorrow will be 3 weeks out. Although I get full easier i have noticed that i have zero restriction. Which I guess is normal since my band is 11cc's and it is all the way open. However I thought that i would still only be able to eat a little bit. So far I have been able to eat the same amount I was before the surgery, but I do limit myself so that i don't gain any weight. Im having some issues getting in all of the Protein but i only get about 5-10 grams away from the goal on some days. The sucky part is my first fill wont be untill january 4th. I wish they would move it up but they told me I have to wait 6 weeks :( I just really want to feel some restriction so I can lose more.

I am seeing the surgeon this week, and expect to get my first fill (and a temporary return to liquids and purees for a few days thereafter). I have found that I get really hungry at times...and therefore, am looking forward to this fill...I think I need a measure of control I don't quite have. On the other hand, I continue to lose weight...now 27 lbs since four weeks prior to surgery...so I am feeling quite cheerful on that count!

I have struggled to find exercise, however, and wonder if this is true for anyone else. I had to stay out of yoga until last week, and I think that I need yoga, cardio, and strength-building as well. Anyone have any good advice on this front?

And on a completely different front: are you finding that it's frustrating to not get notices of updates to this board any more? Maybe it's my settings and I haven't found the right one yet, but I don't know when any of you post -- and I don't like that!! I also think it's cut down on posting. Thoughts?

Best to all,

Deb WS

weight.png