Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2010 Bandsters - post op

Hello everyone! I was banded on September 29, 2010. I have only lost 30 #'s. Most of that was in the beginning because I had a serious problem with nausea and vomiting for the first 2 weeks following surgery. My band has been filled twice and the last time the dr was pretty aggressive with it he said. The holidays have been a little tough.

Punkin

Had my 1st fill today and it wasn't that smooth. The doctor had to fiddle around with my port to make sure the needle went in.. so he poked me twice (ouch).

Anyhoo... he gave me 4cc's in my 10cc band. I wanted more, but i understand why they are being gradual with it.

The doctor said that by my 3rd or 4th fill, is where i'll have my "sweet spot", so i'm assuming the sweet spot is around the 6-8cc level.

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I was banded on Nov 29th. I'm losing weight which is good, I've lost a total of 35 lbs, but I am having trouble eating solid foods. I don't know if it's normal or is it me. I get 2 or 3 bites in and wham I get hit, uncomfortable in the chest, belching, I feel like the food is like stuck. It last about 30 min then I'm fine, but I'm not getting the 4 ounces, maybe barley 1 ounce. It is getting quite frustrating. It doesn't matter what type of food, fish, tuna fish, chicken, scrambled eggs, eggs over easy etc. I get most Soups down fine, any kind of bisque, or broth. Haven't tried a real chunky type of Soup. It's been 3 weeks since surgery. So is it me or is this normal?

Well today I had my first experience with something getting stuck. I had a fill this past Monday and I have had to really take it slow reintroducing solid foods. I was able to eat scrambled eggs prior to my fill but not now. I was also able to eat chicken but today, I guess I took too large of a bite and that was all it took. I experienced what the call slimming which was not very pleasant at all. The bite came right back up with large amounts of mucus and I was very uncomfortable for about 30 minutes. I thought maybe I was to tight but I think I just need to learn to cut my food up like I was instructed to (about the size of my pinky nail) and chew, chew, chew. Sorry for the graphics but I would like others to learn from my mistakes.

I'm finally getting to the point where I think I might need a fill. Until now I thought I was doing pretty great, but am starting to notice I am hungrier. Still eating small amounts at meals and I feel like it is enough, I just get hungry sooner. Next appointment is Jan. 6, so not too long to wait. Meanwhile I'm eating cottage cheese or almonds for Snacks. My husband gives me a shocked look every time I put anything remotely unhealthy near my mouth (like recently sharing a hershey with almonds with him). I really don't need the pressure hon! I'm afraid to try bread, I think it's the only thing that may get stuck at this point. I'm having no trouble with small bites and lots of chewing, but still have trouble taking my time to finish a meal. Regardless, I'm not eating much and I am losing weight at a rate I'm very happy with.

Woke up this morning and decided to give this another try. Since scrambled eggs don't seem to work for me lately, I did an egg over easy with a veggie sausage patty on the side. Egg went down well no problem, sausage was dry and even though I tried mixing it with the egg still too dry to get down so I opted for 2 ozs of cheesy grits and that worked well. I feel satisfied, not full but satisfied. This is going to be a new concept of eating, before I always ate till I was full, now I am trying to learn to eat until I feel satisfied, there is a difference. Well we will see how long Breakfast lasts before I feel hungry again. Busy day today, last weekend before Christmas, last minute shopping, baking and a few last minute packages to get in the mail. Hoping everyone has a wonderful holiday.

Well today I had my first experience with something getting stuck. I had a fill this past Monday and I have had to really take it slow reintroducing solid foods. I was able to eat scrambled eggs prior to my fill but not now. I was also able to eat chicken but today, I guess I took too large of a bite and that was all it took. I experienced what the call slimming which was not very pleasant at all. The bite came right back up with large amounts of mucus and I was very uncomfortable for about 30 minutes. I thought maybe I was to tight but I think I just need to learn to cut my food up like I was instructed to (about the size of my pinky nail) and chew, chew, chew. Sorry for the graphics but I would like others to learn from my mistakes.

I had gotten stuck before, but I too had my first fill on Monday. WOW, what a difference! I thought I had restriction before, but I now have a hard time getting down more than a few bites of most foods. Like you, foods that used to be my sources of Protein find me looking for a bucket. (Must remember: small bites and chew, chew, chew!)

I had my first fill Thursday. I still don't really feel any restriction. The fill didn't hurt either.

I had my first fill Thursday. I still don't really feel any restriction. The fill didn't hurt either.

G Rose, did you go in to the appt knowing you were getting a fill? I have my appt with Dr. Geiss on Tuesday. When I was there a month ago, she told me at the next appointment we would discuss if a fill was needed or not. But I don't know if that means I will have to come back again after this appt.

How long did it take to get a fill? What was involved? I am asking because I may have to bring my 3 1/2 year old son with me to the appt. and need to know waht the appt entails if I do get a fill.

How much did they put in the band??

QUESTION ABOUT THE 2 WEEKS OF LIQUID: I had my surgery Wednesday in Spain; my doctor is Spanish and he said that he is more agressive about getting his patients back on normal foods quickly. I am on liquids for 3 days, soft foods for 4, and then back on regular food the second week after surgery, with restrictions. Has anyone else had a food regimen like this? Any thoughts?

My nurse said the shouolder pain is from trapped air in the muscles. I've had it for the last three days since my surgery, but she warned me it was common after fills, particularly if you overdid it on eating. The gas becomes trapped and disperses through the stomach wall and up thgrough the muscles, where it hurts (or that was my understanding). To me, it feels like a muscle cramp, but without the tight muscle.

Hello November

I had surgery on November 18th had my first fill on December 14th and I am only down 15lbs post ..... I am wonder what can I do to help with my weight loss progress. I have had restirction since day one barely able to eat or drink post op... Prior to getting fill I could not eat or drink much. I could only take 2cc in band. I think because i could barley eat i stuck in the mushy food stage and the mash pots didnt really help. This is so mew for me and I want to be sucessful please help me out.. I am considering liquid all this week to help in my journey. I need to be 35lbs by January 25 and NO i havent exercised since surgery i honestly have no energy.

G Rose, did you go in to the appt knowing you were getting a fill? I have my appt with Dr. Geiss on Tuesday. When I was there a month ago, she told me at the next appointment we would discuss if a fill was needed or not. But I don't know if that means I will have to come back again after this appt.

How long did it take to get a fill? What was involved? I am asking because I may have to bring my 3 1/2 year old son with me to the appt. and need to know waht the appt entails if I do get a fill.

How much did they put in the band??

Yes--basically they give you a fill if you think you need it. Also, if you're not going away for two weeks following, because they don't want you far away if you need help.

The fill took practically no time. First they numb the port area, then they take out the fill that you originally had from when the band was placed (just to see how much is there). Then they add liquid back in. It literally took about five minutes.

I think she put 2 extra ccs in and I had 2ccs already, for a total of 4ccs. I still don't feel very restricted, but she did say that it can take up to 2 weeks to feel restriction from a new fill.

I think the idea is you just keep coming in if you need a fill and for weigh-ins.

Hello November

I had surgery on November 18th had my first fill on December 14th and I am only down 15lbs post ..... I am wonder what can I do to help with my weight loss progress. I have had restirction since day one barely able to eat or drink post op... Prior to getting fill I could not eat or drink much. I could only take 2cc in band. I think because i could barley eat i stuck in the mushy food stage and the mash pots didnt really help. This is so mew for me and I want to be sucessful please help me out.. I am considering liquid all this week to help in my journey. I need to be 35lbs by January 25 and NO i havent exercised since surgery i honestly have no energy.

Try upping your Protein intake for more energy.

You need to start exercising, even if it's just walking three times a week. Believe me, you can do it. I've had chronic fatigue syndrome for 21 years and there is no one more tired and less energetic than I am, and I jog/walk three times a week, no excuses.

You can do it! If I can do it, anyone can!

I had surgery on the 17th of Nov. Fill this past Wednesday the 15th of Dec. I was out of control the last week up to the fill appt. I was hungry, snacking, eating more than I thought I should but feeling no 'fullness'.

Same thing after the fill, got total of 2ccs in my 10 cc band.

Then Saturday, I started to feel the 'fullness'. I ate the top off of one pizza and nibbled on the crust and was STUFFED. Sunday, same thing. Put 1/3 the usual amount of lasagna on my plate, ate a little over half and was stuffed. Yay! Love that!

Looking to loose some weight and get into the 200 range by next fill.

Hope you all are doing well!