Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2010 Bandsters - post op

I was banded on November 18th, 2010 (one week before Thanksgiving!!). My doctor says I'm doing great although I feel like I could be doing better. I lost 25lbs before being banded and since being banded have lost another 20lbs or so. I had my 1st fill on January 3rd and haven't really felt much of a difference with restriction which they say is to be expected. Although I know I am eating less I for some reason thought I would be eating a LOT LESS. To be 100% honest the timing of my surgery came along with a few other layers of REALLY STRESSFUL stuff and my appetite has diminished on certain days. My #1 problem is NIGHT EATING. I have sleep apnea and I'm not wearing my mask (someone slap me), therefore I'm getting up a few times a night and each time I wake up I feel like I need to get up and eat. Last night for instance I got up and had a sugar free pudding and then woke up again and had a granola bar and glass of milk. The night before I was eating fat free fig newtons and I must have had at least 5 of them. I've even debated taking Ativan before bed to help myself sleep through the night if only it didn't make me feel like such a zombie the next morning.I'm not going to be discouraged. I started going to the gym this week and boy are my muscles aching..in a good way. I don't recommend sit ups I feel like someone kicked me in the stomach repeatedly. My 2nd fill is going to be on February 4th and I'm hoping I start to feel more restriction :)

WEAR YOUR MASK, JULES!

WEAR IT!

It's VERY important for your health and also, by the way, for your weight! You work so hard to lose all day and then you don't wear the mask at night? You're sabotaging yourself! You can't diet and exercise without being as well-rested as you can!

I know it's hard and sometimes it sucks. I've been diagnosed with severe apnea for five years and sometimes I still cannot stand that damn mask. But I gotta wear it. No choice.

Now come on! WEAR IT!

Great news G Rose! So proud of you! Did the PA do another 2 cc's for the fill? Do you think they would do more than 2 cc's? I go next week, and I barely feel the 2 cc's now. I would like to be abel to feel sometihng on the next fill!! This past month has bee so hard for me and I am just hungry all the time. Not head hungry, but really stomach hungry! I am eating the same as I did before I got the first fill, and am more hungry now. Weird, huh??

hey Tigger, I think your weight loss is great! 33 pounds in six weeks is wonderful!

I too have a lot of weight to lose and I get discouraged because other people are losing faster, but I only eat real foods. So what if I'm losing more slowly...I do enjoy what I'm eating! I eat the same food as everyone else, at least so far. Haven't had any PBs or pain or anything stuck, and I've eaten pizza, bread, rice, potatoes, you name it. Just less than I used to!

I'm going to make a goal to post here at least once or twice a week. We need the support from one another and I need the encouragement and tips.

I was banded in early Nov and quickly lost 28 lbs by the end of Dec...all with an empty band. Currently, I can eat anything I want...rice, Pasta, bread...I'm just enjoying these foods in smaller amounts. I feel like I'm eating like a "thin" person already. My old Breakfast was 2 eggs, bacon, hashbrowns & a bagel. Now its 1 egg, 1 turkey sausage link and 1 slice of toast...maybe even alittle potatoes.

I'm hoping I won't have any sagging skin issues by doing it slow. Also, I can still enjoy going out to eat and I'm not afraid of any "stuck" issues. (I HATE to throw up!!) The band gives me incentive to pick the right foods and not over-indulge. I even told my doctor that I went to McDonalds and had 1 cheeseburger and 1/4 bag of small fries...that's better than my normal large #2 meal with an order of 6 chicken mcnuggets! I feel like I still have a quality of life with eating...not quantity! Just hope my willpower stays the same.

At times I wish I can see a big jump on the scale but know that this is for a lifetime...not just right this minute. With this all said...I only got 1cc fill on 12/28 and have lost 2 lbs since then. My doctor said to see how much I lose in 4-6 weeks and that's when we can decide on another small amount or maybe a 1.5cc fill.

Good luck to all!

Topazz, I don't think they'll put more than 2ccs in at a time, though you can always ask. I've had a few episodes of that old "so hungry, cannot get full" feeling after my first fill. I'm hoping that will go away forever now that I've had my second fill. If it doesn't....hey. That's why we chose the adjustable band, isn't it?

I know what you mean, NYY, about wanting to see a big jump. All of my friends are all 40 pounds! That's great! and I'm thinking I'M STILL REALLY FAT. I can be crabby and negative about anything if I want. Mostly I'm really happy though.

I hope everyone's doing well! We can do this, folks!

Hi all,

Great info from this group, thanks!!! Going in today for my first fill, just under 20 pounds lost since surgery. But now, like some of you, I find myself able to eat ANYTHING , just not too much of it. I'm looking forward to feeling much more restricted. And I see it as another chance to kick the Carb Monster to the curb. Best of luck to all :)

Topazz I would ask if they can do more of a fill. My first fill was for 5 cc's. Im kinda stuck right now, but my exercise routine has been lacking, so Im gonna try that and amping up my protien, then scheduling a second fill.

Follow up visit with physician went well this week. Total lost since surgery 31 lbs. Still losing more inches than pounds so I stay off the scales unless I am going to the doctors office, just to frustrating. I struggled a little after my band adjustment in December and found our I really was not chewing my food well and had multiple episodes of PB if I ate too fast. I still have days when something I eat may not go down well even if it did several days before. Physician wants me to increase my exercise, so I bought an incline trainer for myself for Christmas. Goal this weekend is to start 20 minute workout routines. Good luck to all in the New Year and a much slimmer us in the summer. ;-)

Ape and G Rose, I am going to ask about more than 2 cc's in the fill. I have 2 cc's now, and it is just not cutting it! I think I amy have lost 5 lbs since my last visit, and I am so bummed!!

Topazz I had my first fill on the 5th, 3.3ccs, and it basically seems to be doing nothing right now :huh: I would def ask your doc to put more in next time. I'm going in again the 1st or 2nd wk in Feb and am hoping he'll give me a decent fill for the second. Guess I'm just a lil impatient to get some more restriction!

Glad to hear peeps are doing well with everything! I'll tell you, revving up my exercise routine has helped me tremendously the past couple of weeks! I think we will all be able to tell how much more we can do as time goes along...

Keep up the great work, ladies and gents! :D

I was filled with 3.5cc in a 14cc band when installed on 11/10. Doc added 2cc for my first fill on 12/13 and had good restriction for about 10 days. My second fill on 1/10, doc was going to add 2cc, but I couldn't swallow a sip of Water, so he took out 1/2cc. I now have 7cc and have excellent restriction, at least for now.

Went for my fill today. I lost 8 lbs since my visit 4 weeks ago, and the PA was pleased. She only put in 1 1/2 cc's today. She said based on the number of hours that I was full (2-3 hours) determined how much she would put in. I'm hoping this will be enough! I'm on liquids until tomorrow, then 2 days of mushies, until I can do solids again. I don't go back until 3/8. That is about 6 weeks!! I hope this long stretch will be okay for me!

Hey November Bandsters,

It's been a long time since I have posted.... life got busy and crazy!!!!! Have my second post op appt later this afternoon and am finally ready for a fill! Hard to believe it's been almost three month since I was banded (Nov 1st). Well to date, I have had a few stuck episodes (the first one sucked!), but all the other have been fairly minor. Last one I had was a few days okay when I ate a flour tortilla, which I know I should have but did anyways. As of yesterday afternoon, I have lost 80 lbs since I started my journey, I have gone from a tight size 3XL Shirt and 44 jeans (relaxed fit) to loose XL shirts and 36 jeans. I feel better and healthier each day. Hope y'all are doing wonderful and I am going to go back through this thread later and catch up!!!!!!!!!

John

i'm getting my second fill tomorrow. i am expecting to get 1cc but hoping it will be more because i cant even tell if i have had surgery. the only time i feel restricted/stuck is when i take a big bite of rice or fry bread. My portions are close to what i was eating pre-op. i'm making better choices now, but around Xmas and traveling was much harder. have had some NSVs but in terms of weight loss i am stuck at where i was 2 wks post op.

Hey November Bandsters,

It's been a long time since I have posted.... life got busy and crazy!!!!! Have my second post op appt later this afternoon and am finally ready for a fill! Hard to believe it's been almost three month since I was banded (Nov 1st). Well to date, I have had a few stuck episodes (the first one sucked!), but all the other have been fairly minor. Last one I had was a few days okay when I ate a flour tortilla, which I know I should have but did anyways. As of yesterday afternoon, I have lost 80 lbs since I started my journey, I have gone from a tight size 3XL Shirt and 44 jeans (relaxed fit) to loose XL shirts and 36 jeans. I feel better and healthier each day. Hope y'all are doing wonderful and I am going to go back through this thread later and catch up!!!!!!!!!

John

John, I'm so glad to hear from you! I've been thinking of you. You were the pioneer of our group to have the surgery and was wondering how you have been doing!! I am so glad to hear about your victory!! I am also so jealous of your loss too!! 80 lbs. is amazing! I hope I can Celebrate that victory soon!! Anyway, glad to see you here, and keep us posted on how you are doing!!

Ok, let me just tell you that the 1 1/2 cc's she added yesterday has not made a dent in curbing my hunger!! I am so peeved!! I have to wait another 6 weeks to get the next fill. What is worse is that I will still be struggling like I have been the past 4 weeks. However, I am losing weight, but I must be soing something right!!

Hope everyone has a great night!