Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2010 Bandsters - post op

Just want to say, everyone seems to be doing awesome. Some are losing faster than others but that is normal. Just focus on yourself and congrats to everyone else and your victories.

Hi all - banded 11/3 - and doing very well. I am planning on going back to work tomorrow. Down about 8 pounds so far, yea!

I am on liquids + yogurt/puddings without any chuncks for 3 weeks, so I am already finding that challenging. I add sugar free vanilla starbucks Syrup in my vanilla Protein shakes, they are wonderful. Had a little bit of a challenge yesterday, was spending the day with DH and friends and we wound up going to Carabbas... I ordered Mama's chicken Soup, and tried to eat just the broth, but it was really hard with them all eating that wonderful bread, big salads and pizza. I brought the soup home and will strain for dinner tonight. DH and I used to eat out all the time, fortunately he is very sensitive to me not being able to eat anything right now. Although I do look forward to going out and ordering great salmon!

Little worried about heading back to work. I think I will feel ok, but I didn't tell anyone I was having this done. I will have to cover the bruise from the IV with makeup, and worried about lack of energy. Did you guys tell everyone? Anyone else secretive here?

I joined a Christmas challenge on this website too. Hopefully another way to keep motivated!

Soph

Hi! This is actually my first post on here. I was banded on 11/15. I did not tell anyone either. My husband and parents know and one good friend-that is it. My brothers don't even know. I had to have a hernia repaired so I just told anyone that asked that I was having hernia surgery. Hope you are doing well!

Deb how has your weight loss been two weeks out?

I had lost 12 or 13 lbs, I believe, before surgery. And of course post-surgery, it's very frustrating to get on the scale and note that you have gained weight (or at least I did) from the gas and the fluids I received IV during hospitalization. It took me at least five days to get rid of that and I am not 'counting' the weight gain...it was a pause in progress, really.

Since surgery, though, I've lost 8 more lbs, and I'm feeling pretty darned cheery about that!

Best,

Deb WS

weight.png

Hey Group,

I thought I posted before on this line - but don't see it. My LAP-BAND® was on 11/8/10 - recovery has been pretty good. Did use pain drugs before bed. Now seem to be very constipated - no BM since 11/7. Have drank 8 oz of prune juice - just took Milk of M - things seem to be trying to move. Any one else with Constipation issues? CFitz

Hi! Just wondering if the Milk of M worked? I was banded on Monday 11/15. I have not had a BM since the morning of my surgery (before surgery). Taking stool softeners but don't feel like I need to go. ICK! Totally gross! Would love any advice any of you can give me!

Edited by abcmom7

Having said all that, my three other comments -- and I wonder if others have found this -- are that I am REALLY bummed to not be able to take ibuprofen or aleve (naproxen sodium) any more for arthritis pain...Tylenol doesn't cut it.

I started crying in the hospital when I was told about not taking ibuprofen. For me, it would have been a dealbreaker if I'd known about it before surgery since I suffer from severe fibromyalgia. The surgeon later on told me I can take ibu if I take it with a Mylanta or similar and don't take it too often. Actually I've been taking it every day (since I've taken it every day for, oh, I dunno, 20 years or so) and I've had no problems.

As of yesterday, I'd lost 8 pounds in the two weeks since I was banded and I'm allowed to progress to mushy food now. Yay, no more stupid shakes.

I started crying in the hospital when I was told about not taking ibuprofen. For me, it would have been a dealbreaker if I'd known about it before surgery since I suffer from severe fibromyalgia. The surgeon later on told me I can take ibu if I take it with a Mylanta or similar and don't take it too often. Actually I've been taking it every day (since I've taken it every day for, oh, I dunno, 20 years or so) and I've had no problems.

As of yesterday, I'd lost 8 pounds in the two weeks since I was banded and I'm allowed to progress to mushy food now. Yay, no more stupid shakes.< /p>

Not being able to ibuprofen was a deal breaker for me, but it came close. I get a lot of pain in my back, muscle spams and sciatica, and bad menstrual cramps. Motrin is the only thing that helps. I had to be off the Motrin the 2 weeks pre-op also and I did ok with Tylenol. I am hoping with the weight lose that all those pains will go way, or at lease lesson where Tylenol will work.

Well I am now a full 24 hours post-op. I am feeling ok. Most of my pain is from where the port is. My shoulders and neck are bothering me from the way I slept. I don't like sleeping up right. I drank an entire bottle of Isopure in those 24 hours. Thats 20 oz of fluids with 40grams of Protein! Since I was only allowed 1 oz an hour, including pain meds, that was spot on.

I have had one spoon full of applesauce with my first med this morning and so far so good. I took a chewable Vitamin last night and had some bad nauseous and vomited a little. I took a Phenergan suppository and that did the trick. I have two more meds and then my Multivitamin and Calcium liquid to take. Its hard spacing this all out when I am use to just taking it all at once.

I walked around the house yesterday, but today I will get outside and walk. No real gas pains, but I have been taking Gas-X and burping, so that is probably why.

Ok I have rambled enough.

As usual, you folks have come through for me. I read a couple of responses about ibuprofen and naproxen sodium. This morning, with my legs sooooo stiff from doing a school holiday fair (I am a caterer, among other things) I decided to just do it. I took ONE naproxen sodium (aka, Aleve)...usually, I take two. I followed it with a Tums.

It made a huge difference -- I am less stiff and creaky, more able to move without pain -- that I feel it was worth it. I'm going to try very hard not to get into a habit of doing this, and stick with the Tylenol wherever possible. But if I start behaving like I'm 100, I think I'll go for the little blue pill!

Also, I think that, for the first time, I may have overeaten just a little at lunch. I had some mushroom Soup (pureed a bit more than when I first made it, with an immersion blender), four little crackers with some cheese, and 1/4 c. homemade applesauce. It was delicious, but the last three mouthfuls of applesauce felt like 'stuffing' -- and I have been burping ever since.

So (and yes, this is a bit TMI) is burping one of the indicators that you've overdone it??

Best,

Deb WS

As usual, you folks have come through for me. I read a couple of responses about ibuprofen and naproxen sodium. This morning, with my legs sooooo stiff from doing a school holiday fair (I am a caterer, among other things) I decided to just do it. I took ONE naproxen sodium (aka, Aleve)...usually, I take two. I followed it with a Tums.

It made a huge difference -- I am less stiff and creaky, more able to move without pain -- that I feel it was worth it. I'm going to try very hard not to get into a habit of doing this, and stick with the Tylenol wherever possible. But if I start behaving like I'm 100, I think I'll go for the little blue pill!

Also, I think that, for the first time, I may have overeaten just a little at lunch. I had some mushroom Soup (pureed a bit more than when I first made it, with an immersion blender), four little crackers with some cheese, and 1/4 c. homemade applesauce. It was delicious, but the last three mouthfuls of applesauce felt like 'stuffing' -- and I have been burping ever since.

So (and yes, this is a bit TMI) is burping one of the indicators that you've overdone it??

Best,

Deb WS

I think burping is an indicator that you over did it. When I have drank to much, thats what I am doing. Since I am still on pain meds I don't "feel" full.

Deb, thanks for your words. It made me feel a lttle better, and less guilty that I took that meatball!! But if I didn't do it, then I really felt that I would eat something more drastic and dangerous to my stomach! But I am just so hungry and I just want to eat anything!! But I keep my control in fear of hurting myh stomach! I did this surgery for a reason, and I refuse to be beat!

I am considering taking a scrambled egg tonight with some melted cheese for dinner. I just need something more to eat other than liquids!!

Deb, thanks for your words. It made me feel a lttle better, and less guilty that I took that meatball!! But if I didn't do it, then I really felt that I would eat something more drastic and dangerous to my stomach! But I am just so hungry and I just want to eat anything!! But I keep my control in fear of hurting myh stomach! I did this surgery for a reason, and I refuse to be beat!

I am considering taking a scrambled egg tonight with some melted cheese for dinner. I just need something more to eat other than liquids!!

I would say that if you eat slowly and chew, chew, chew...it's ok to try it. I would try having your broth AND the egg, and make sure you stop when you get any sense of 'enough.'

And for me...my 'full' sense stopped...and then at 5:00 PM, having last eaten at 11:45, I was so ravenously hungry I thought I'd dive off a cliff. I got home and just had 1/4 c. of egg salad...which seems to have gotten me off the cliff and back to sensibility. Moral of this story: stop when starting to be full, and don't wait too long to have a little something. But just a little! :)

Deb WS

I was banded on Wednesday, November 17th. So far soo good. I had the operation at 1030 and was home by 230. My recovery has been a lot easier than I thought it would be. I'm following all the instructions from my doctor to make sure that it continues to go well.

I look forward to hearing everyone's stories.

Glad to see the site is back up and running. I have missed you November bandsters!! I pray everyone is healing well. I am officially 1 week post-op. I was feeling good until yesterday. I keep getting pain in my neck...like I slept wrong...and a little pain under my breast. Other than that all is well. I have lost 8 lbs. since surgery.

Dawnya

Well, friends, the maintenance on the site was, as we can see, more than maintenance...a whole new content management system (CMS) for the site! I've missed folks during the few days the site was down, and hope all are doing well. Anyone want to share plans for coping with/enjoying (with moderation, of course) Thanksgiving? I am 3 weeks post-op tomorrow and starting to really feel more like myself...most of my energy has returned, no pain and little discomfort. I'm looking forward to resuming yoga next week as well.

Hope you are all well.

Deb WS

Best of luck to all of us! I had my surgery November 4th. I still have pain at the site of the port, but otherwise am doing pretty well. I am on the pureed food phase, and it's going fine. Are the rest of you still having pain at the port site?