Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded, banding, bands--verb--To assemble or unite in a group

Shad, my orthopedist would blow a gasket if I told him I was thinking about running. They really prefer people to be closer to goal---the added stress from excess weight is hard on joints.

But I'm already walking for miles and miles each day---I have to shake something up!

Karen, plateaus are SO frustrating. Try to relax. You're doing all the right things--you just have to ride it out. Your body is just getting used to there being less of you, that's all. It will figure it out and let the weight come off again--truly.

Leigha, my band is fickle, too. It's tricky, having to listen so closely to it each day. But it does keep me on my toes. No such thing as complacency around these parts!

I won't tell lol, Betsy, if you decide:wink2:. I have knee problems and much heavier than you, so though I am not on the couch, I probably do not need to dust my running shoes off yet--one day

I have been walking on the treadmill and outside for an hour at a time for 3 miles and riding my bike to work and home twice a week which is 5 miles each way but after Sunday's 30 min. intro into the CK program, I can barely walk (OK thats an exaggeration, but my thigh, hip and calf muscles are sore!) It was hard to do but I had no idea that apparently it requires a completely different set of muscles. So I am resting them till Wednesday when I will do round 2. :thumbdown:

Jacki, your poem is awesome :glare:

Thanks! Nothing like frustration to get you going! Heh. :bored:

I have been walking on the treadmill and outside for an hour at a time for 3 miles and riding my bike to work and home twice a week which is 5 miles each way but after Sunday's 30 min. intro into the CK program, I can barely walk (OK thats an exaggeration, but my thigh, hip and calf muscles are sore!) It was hard to do but I had no idea that apparently it requires a completely different set of muscles. So I am resting them till Wednesday when I will do round 2. :bored:

The beginning is the hardest part! You can do it!

C25K people-I am trying soooo hard to do this, but I can't even do the first week!! :bored: I do the 5min warm-up walk then start with the alternating 1min jog and 1 1/2 min walk. When I am doing the jogging at first my calves burn (yes I stretch), but I recover during the walking. After about 10-15mins of this though I start to not recover during the walking and the pain (pulling and cramping almost like my muscles are too short) gets so bad that I have to stop because I can't even walk!!! Anyone else have this problem and if so does it get better???? I can just walk (3-3.5mph) with no problems, but when I add in that jog (4-4.2mph) wham-o theres the pain!

Stretching after you run is the most important. Think of it like a rubber band. If you have a warm rubber band, stretching it will be much better than stretching a cold rubber band. The first week of C25K in November was the hardest for me. I actually had to stop for two weeks because of shin splints. I did calf exercises and got back in gear.

I have a few suggestions:

-Find your nearest running store (Fleet Feet is my closest) and have them fit you for running shoes. They will know what to recommend after watching you walk/run.

-If you're on Facebook, "like" The Couch-To-5K Running Program page and Active.com -- they are a wealth of information right in your facebook feed.

The Couch-to-5K Running Plan | Facebook

Active.com | Facebook

-Cross-train! Strength training (free weights and conditioning classes) and yoga helped me SO much in my running.

Good luck! You can do this, I promise! If I can run, you can run!

I am one week post op and 9.5 down total. I am going for my first fill in 3 weeks. He said I am at 3 cc's right now. I am definitely feeling restriction but not getting anything stuck. Mushy to real won't be hard if I chew chew chew. I am remiding myself if I want "good" food I must eat less to still loose. Diet mentality is what got me into trouble in the first place. Today I excercised for 10 min to my dance video. I figure I will take it slow and easy. So grateful I am feeling so well one week after!

Awesome, Lee Anne. Sounds like you're doing very well so soon post-op! I hope you continue on this path!!!

WAAAAY Off Topic---So, I just got a disturbing call from my OB. I went for a baseline mammogram on Tuesday and apparently, they found a 'dense' spot and need me to come back for what is going to be a 2-hour test for additional views with the doc. The worst is, the radiologist's office was like, "Are you bringing anyone with you?" I asked, "Well, should I? Is this something serious, because I hear needing additional views is not very uncommon." And she said (of course), "I"m not allowed to say." Yeah, thanks for freaking me out! So of course, since it has to be done with a doctor there, I scheduled it for 5/20 (same day as my fill)--hell better get some use out of the day LOL. So, I'm 36 years old and being that I want to be completely healthy and good to myself this year, I decide to have a baseline done, and early by today's age standards only to have this happen. I am sure it's nothing but muscle or something minor, but please ladies, pray for me! It really puts my being pissed at a plateau SOOOOO into perspective!!!

So, I'm 36 years old and being that I want to be completely healthy and good to myself this year, I decide to have a baseline done, and early by today's age standards only to have this happen. I am sure it's nothing but muscle or something minor, but please ladies, pray for me! It really puts my being pissed at a plateau SOOOOO into perspective!!!

I will think the best for you, but I'm feeling that this is way early to catch anything, and this can only turn out for the best! :thumbup:

Karen--I will be thinking about you, I'm sure its going to just be a dense spot but keep us posted and try not to worry too much! Besides if they thought it was major they would have got you back before the 20th.

Lee Anne--I'm glad to hear your exercising, I wasted time by being stubborn and not starting till a couple of months after I had the band.

I got my body bugg today, I guess I am going to wear it 24 hours a day for a while to see what I really burn in calories. It is suppose to be 90% accurate. I think I probably have a burn rate of about 1500 calories on a day that I don't exercise. It will be interesting to find out. I am going to run in the morning it will finish my 1st week of C25K. Before I started running I had a 21 day plateau, now I have lost 2 pounds this week and it has really helped my hunger issues.

Stacie--I was walking, riding my bike and lifting weights for 3 months before I was strong enough to start, maybe you could just do your walking and the first week just add in just 1 or 2 sixty second sprints instead of the 15 min worth and go from there.

Whew....took me a bit to catch up!

Hi All!

Karen, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Don't get too freaked out about anything yet. I know that's easier said than done. Sometimes it is nothing and they just want to make sure.

I thought I was going to get a fill tomorrow, but they called today and said they had to change my appointment. I am so hungry between meals I feel like this is banster hell part 2! I don't even think my first banster hell was this bad. I can still only eat a very small meal, but it doesn't last long at all.

Life has been busy busy busy and work kicked my ass this week. On Monday morning a dropped my VERY HOT curling Iron while doing my hair. Like an idot I tried to catch it and for a split second trapped it between the very tender underside of my wrist/arm and my body. I instantly realized what I had done and let it drop to the floor.

By the time I was working on my 2nd patient I realized my arm had blistered and the cuff of my lab jacket was breaking it open. So all week at work I have had to keep a bandaid over it so my gloves and lab coat don't do more damage. I really hate bandaids for even a needle stick or paper cut , but I have had no choice. I take off the bandaid when I am not at work, but with it being covered (and wristband still rubbing) my burn gets soggy. It looks so bad.......flesh.....ewwwww. I think my entire thickness of skin is gone. I don't think it is infected or anything, but it just really sucks.

Whew....took me a bit to catch up!

Hi All!

Karen, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Don't get too freaked out about anything yet. I know that's easier said than done. Sometimes it is nothing and they just want to make sure.

I thought I was going to get a fill tomorrow, but they called today and said they had to change my appointment. I am so hungry between meals I feel like this is banster hell part 2! I don't even think my first banster hell was this bad. I can still only eat a very small meal, but it doesn't last long at all.

Life has been busy busy busy and work kicked my ass this week. On Monday morning a dropped my VERY HOT curling Iron while doing my hair. Like an idot I tried to catch it and for a split second trapped it between the very tender underside of my wrist/arm and my body. I instantly realized what I had done and let it drop to the floor.

By the time I was working on my 2nd patient I realized my arm had blistered and the cuff of my lab jacket was breaking it open. So all week at work I have had to keep a bandaid over it so my gloves and lab coat don't do more damage. I really hate bandaids for even a needle stick or paper cut , but I have had no choice. I take off the bandaid when I am not at work, but with it being covered (and wristband still rubbing) my burn gets soggy. It looks so bad.......flesh.....ewwwww. I think my entire thickness of skin is gone. I don't think it is infected or anything, but it just really sucks.

Yikes, HB! That sounds painful! Burns are the worst! I would rather have a bad cut!!! I hope you feel better soon. Sorry to hear you're in a bad place bandwise. I hope you get your fill soon. Did they give you a reschedule date?

As I mentioned, mine is coming up on May 20. Made the appointment last week and I was feeling the exact same as you. My 3rd fill was 4/22 and honestly I was more ravenous after I was back on solids and felt like he took some out. Now, exactly 2 weeks later, I am managing to feel less hungry between meals, but I am able to eat way too much during my meals and I'm able to take big bites and be a bonehead and not chew thoroughly (and before I used to get punished for it LOL). Goes to show I will never figure this thing out :thumbup:

I hope you get some relief soon with a fill! I just HATE being hungry!!!! It's the worst!

Karen-thinking bout you! Waiting is so hard. Never had a mammogram yet, but I'll never forget what a wreck I was when I got an abnormal PAP!! I myself have had a few cysts drained from there too. I'm only 28 and the girls are still a little dense and fibrous for a mammogram so they did a sonogram when I found lumps. Cysts aren't fun, but I got my fingers crossed for you that you have one!

Karen, I am a breast cancer survivor. I wouldn't worry as you are young but it is good to take someone with you just in case. I had my mom with me and I was grateful. I am praying for you! I will support you in what ever you need!

I am one week post op and 9.5 down total. I am going for my first fill in 3 weeks. He said I am at 3 cc's right now. I am definitely feeling restriction but not getting anything stuck. Mushy to real won't be hard if I chew chew chew. I am remiding myself if I want "good" food I must eat less to still loose. Diet mentality is what got me into trouble in the first place. Today I excercised for 10 min to my dance video. I figure I will take it slow and easy. So grateful I am feeling so well one week after!

LeeAnne-Glad to see that you are doing well and healing well after your surgery! :thumbup:

Hi Everyone!

Karen! I am so sorry you are going through this. I had a similar situation last December. I got the call back from scheduling. I was told I had to come back. When I asked why, I was told the normal girl was at lunch and I had to call back.

When I did, the normal girl told me she could not discuss it. It's against the rules. It protects my privacy, doncha know! Would not tell me if it was suspicious or a smudge or blur.

So, after I had a sh*t fit at her and insisted that I speak with the radiologist--which she refused to allow. I asked, well, WHO can tell me what was seen? That they suggested MAYBE my PCP's office could, but this being Friday afternoon, maybe not today.

They were soooooo non-challant about it. My PCP's office was great. But I complained about the schedulers. They didn't care that they were scaring the tar out of me. No one word about how many women get called back for more views. Nothing. Sheesh.

Anyway, turns out that all it was was overlapping skin from the weight loss! Whew! I got the results immediately.

You will be in my prayers that yours turns out the same!!