Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded, banding, bands--verb--To assemble or unite in a group

Hi everyone.

Hope you have all had a wonderful Christmas. Ours has been good. Christmas day was just me , hubby and the 2 kids but it was nice spending time together. We did have one problem which could have beeen disastrous but turned out OK. Turkey was cooking in the Webber and I put the ham in the oven. About 30 min later I opened the oven to put the vegies in and realised it wasn't hot. Yes it was turned on. It seems that the fan is working and so is the grill element but the back element that it uses for baking/roasting etc wasn't. Luckily my microwave is also a convection oven so I was able to do the ham in that. Vegies were parboiled and then distributed between the Webber and the microwave for finishing off.

Today we went to a friends for her family Christmas. There were a couple of tense moments - it can be interesting watching how other families interact. There was one point where I had to bite my tongue very hard and not cause a scene. This friend doesn't know I have a band. Before I got banded we all went away for a girls weekend and her one sister was going on about bands and how ridiculous they are and how if you want to lose weight you just need to eat less etc. You know the story. Quite funny really as this person cannot give up smoking. She has a 3 week old baby that she is breastfeeding, a horrific cough and still kept going outside to smoke today.

Any way we were sitting chatting today and I asked about another of my friends family members and her new boyfriend. My friend(not the smoking sister) then basically implied that he was a loser because he is really old, has grown up children and is going into hospital to get a lapband! The girl that is going out with him does not have a wonderful trackrecord with men. She is in her 20s, recently divorced with 3 young boys so he does sound a bit old for her etc. In fact she may only be seeing him because he has money and keeps buying her things but to imply that he is a loser because he needs a band was a bit much. Why is he a loser because he is doing something positive for his health? I should have had the guts to speak out but I really didn't want to rock the boat at another persons family event.

Anyway I think it's time for bed. Not looking forward to it as I was the designated driver tonight so my hubby could drink. Problem is he really takes advantage of the fact and cannot say no when other people keep pushing drinks on him. That means his snoring tonight will be even worse than usual...........................

Hopefully by morning his mood will also have improved because he is not what you would call a happy drunk!

That was probably way too much information but sometimes it helps to vent.

Hey Everyone. I hope yall had a great holiday. We had a good time, my husbands mother and sister came over for Christmas and all the kids were there, we had a nice time playing games. I finally got my puppy yesterday, but I dont know how to post pictures now! CRAP! I guess I will load them on my profile.

I am scared to weigh, I think I probably gained 3-5 pounds last week I have lived on junk food so today is back to eating well or I wont be able to wear my new jeans.:o

Goodmorning threadsters (or those of you who bother with LBT anymore),

Well, the new year is almost here. I am trying to stay positive, but have many changes on the way for 2011. I guess I should at least be happy that major weightloss is not at the top of my list for the new year like it has been for every other year.

Taxes are going to kill me this year. I have been working 3 part-time jobs and 2 of them have not taken out enough for taxes. I don't have surgery costs to claim this year and no dependants. I dread what the numbers will be when we figure out taxes this year.

My main job is going away. The Dr. is going to retire and close the office. I have been there 11 years and am so sad. I don't like change like this. The office is my comfort zone. I had a very hard time sleeping last night because it was on my mind. This job is my largest income. The Dr., his assistant, and all the patients are like family to me. I think I'm already starting to mourn.

I'm a year older too, damn it.

So much for trying to stay positive. I just needed to whine a little.

What does the new year hold for all of you??

double post...........................love the changes! NOT!

Good morning everyone. Hope the holidays went well. I was so frustrated with my weight earlier this week because I gained but then I chalked it up to a cruise I went on earlier this month and the holidays. I'm hoping this year will be the year of Skinny Me because I am so tired of shopping in plus sizes. It will be so nice to go into any store and try things on. I'm planning on a lot of traveling this upcoming year and hope to buy a bathing suit that doesn't have a skirt attached to it!! What are your new year's resolutions?

Hello everybody! I hope everyone had a great holiday. I had a good Christmas and good times with the family. I ate well but we had the wii so I worked a good portion. I know why dancers and Michael Jackson stay so thin :lol:

I have been reflecting on the New Year. I see my new surgeon on January 3. I am sure port revision surgery is coming down the pipe, but I will see--not to stressed about it. I am glad so my fills will not be painful. I also approach my one year bandiversary on January 14, 2010. Okay I know you all are going to beat me up--go ahead because I probably need it. I am pleased with my weight loss, but cannot help but be bummed that my goal of losing 100lbs by my anniversary post-surgery probably will not be achieved. The 100lbs I have lost includes pre-op weight loss. This week I am actually doing my pre-op diet just to re-discipline myself and really focus. I am hungry and have a headache--withdrawals. Mom is doing somewhat better, so I do not have to go as much, but I still we be glad when she is more self-sufficient.

Any Happy New Year to all.

Too funny..... I just had a visual of you moon walking! Hey, whatever it takes!

The 100 pounds I lost in the first year includes the 8 pounds pre-op. Every single pound counts!

Leigha: Unfortunately, I run into people every day who think only 'losers' get a band. Most don't know I have one. I happily inform that that they are right...which is why I'm 'losing'. They can't argue with results. Keep those FB puppy pictures coming! I've recently realized that my little Sophie was my 'baby fix' and now without her, I want another baby....which is not going to happen. So my children better start providing me with grandbabies or I'm going to risk the divorce and go out and get another dog!

HB: Go ahead and whine. I can relate to not liking change.

Chica: My resolution every year is to not make any resolutions. That way I'm never disappointed and feel like a failure. ;)

Shad: 118 lbs lost...whether pre or postop is nothing to sneeze at! Congratulations!

Melody

I'm still here and reading but haven't been posting much to any of the threads in the LB forum...frustration mostly. I see people being advised to keep getting fills until they're physically restricted but nobody much mentions that they should be looking for a lessening of hunger. Then, not surprisingly, these same people come back complaining that they can barely eat anything, they're sliming and upchucking at every meal, etc....and others sympathize and say this is normal when it shouldn't be! Oops...there I go.

Changing tracks. I haven't lost or gained in the last couple of weeks but I'm happy just to maintain. The band does not give me any physical restriction and I can still eat as much or whatever I want just as I could pre-surgery. The only way I'll get physical restriction is at the cost of stuck episodes and sliming with every meal...something my surgeon tells me means I'm overfilled. I can happily say, however, that I'm not hungry...but that doesn't do much for my 'desire' to eat. As many have said, too bad we can't band our brains! :P

The holidays have been pleasant despite the fact that my two oldest sons couldn't be home. However, it's now time to get myself back on track and I'm struggling, so I'm taking it in stages. This week I'm just eliminating wheat and sugar and keeping my carbs below 100 and my calories below 1500. Interestingly, since I've given myself permission to eat other types of carbs - potatoes, rice, etc. (within the carb limit I set), I seem to have lost the craving to eat them. My brain is contrary. Next week, I'm dropping my carbs to 60 and my calories to 1300. The plan for the third week is to drop my carbs to 30 and calories to 1200 and that puts me right back on track.

I've spent the morning cleaning out cupboards and getting rid of all the 'temptations' as I'm discovering that one look at a can of cherry pie filling and my mind goes off into all sorts of murky corners...and I don't even like cherry pie. :blink:

Oooooo...my husband tells me the mail lady just dropped off a box from our son in Florida. It must be the oranges and grapefruit he picked off the tree in his yard. Thank God they aren't wheat and sugar! :lol:

Happy New Year y'all...and we are going to start a new thread on January 1, yes??

Melody

Hi Everyone! I am here!

Leigha, puppy congrats!!

Shad, you are doing great, but I understand your disappointment. That is why I don't set pounds lost goals. We cannot always control what our body does. We can control what we put into it, and what we burn off of it, bu sometimes calories in and calories burned just don't equal pounds lost. angry.gif

Things are OK here, MIL is doing alright. Not bouncing back like the family had hoped. But hey, at 95, every day your feet hit the floor is a blessing. My SIL is doing a great job taking care of her with cooking and such. Our neighbor had the idea of getting a baby monitor as SIL lives in 2nd house on the lot. Home health has been coming out to check on her, do physical therapy, and bathe her, but that will be ending soon. Not sure how she will get bathed. She's got a c.diff. infection. Same as I had in April, ugh. So, I have to be very careful when I am around her, as I am highly susceptible.

Butters has his girlfriend Stella over for the weekend, she arrived an hour ago! We just love her to pieces!

Elfie, I know what you mean about life on other threads. Do some doctors actually tell folks that they should not be able to eat solid foods? Ok, a little exaggerated, but still...I eat quite a bit more than a quarter cup of food. I love the Beelz and mentos-pool story!

My weight is staying stable. I don't even get on the scale any more. My clothes are fitting the same, and I just don't worry about it. Strange to not be obsessed with it! wub.gif

Thanks Crystl and Denise. Truthfully my need to lose that amount has everything to do with my insurance. After April, if your BMI is over 40, you cannot get full insurance. You can keep it if you have weight loss surgery or joint a gym and fitness program. I am not sure since I have already done both will I still be allowed to keep my plan, so I need to get out of the 40's just in case. Personally, I am good with my progress and losing slowly because that 113 is without having major restriction, so I like to tell the the state employee's to bite me. Like so many people our state legislature seems to think skinny equals healthy. I know a great deal of skinny people who cannot workout pass 10 minutes. Oh well. I think by April I can easily get to 39 BMI. I am so over it becauseI looked so good in my jeggings yesterday, I totally got out of my funk. :D

Happy New Year, bandsters. Please let's start a new thread for the new year. This one is so long and unmanageable. I went ahead and started it here.