Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded, banding, bands--verb--To assemble or unite in a group

Karen, I am a breast cancer survivor. I wouldn't worry as you are young but it is good to take someone with you just in case. I had my mom with me and I was grateful. I am praying for you! I will support you in what ever you need!

Thanks Lee Anne. As you can imagine, I am a little freaked out. I asked the radiology office if I needed to come in ASAP or if I could just plan it on the 20th, since I'm off from work that day and she replied, "Either way, one week won't make a difference." Nice, thanks for that!

Anyway, thank you so much for your kind words. I will be sure to let everyone know what happens. Until then, I'm not going to think about it--what's the point in getting all worried when it won't change the outcome anyway? I'm also very good at the mindset of if you don't think about it, it doesn't exist LOL

Thanks again!

Karen--I will be thinking about you, I'm sure its going to just be a dense spot but keep us posted and try not to worry too much! Besides if they thought it was major they would have got you back before the 20th.

Lee Anne--I'm glad to hear your exercising, I wasted time by being stubborn and not starting till a couple of months after I had the band.

I got my body bugg today, I guess I am going to wear it 24 hours a day for a while to see what I really burn in calories. It is suppose to be 90% accurate. I think I probably have a burn rate of about 1500 calories on a day that I don't exercise. It will be interesting to find out. I am going to run in the morning it will finish my 1st week of C25K. Before I started running I had a 21 day plateau, now I have lost 2 pounds this week and it has really helped my hunger issues.

Stacie--I was walking, riding my bike and lifting weights for 3 months before I was strong enough to start, maybe you could just do your walking and the first week just add in just 1 or 2 sixty second sprints instead of the 15 min worth and go from there.

Thanks, Leigha. As I told Lee Anne, I'm not going to sweat it too much if I go. I am going to look at the bright side, which is the fact that I bought supplemental cancer insurance offered through my work and I will be compensated for what the hospital bills the insurance company for this test, not only once but TWICE as I have a cancer policy AND a critical illness policy. So I'm looking at possibly $2k for both visits. So that will be my bright side for now LOL

My BodyBugg should be here next week. The one I bought off eBay came yesterday (freaking lightning fast--2 days!), so I already put that one up on eBay, since it was $176 for the unit itself along with the display, which is awesome, but I'll need to purchase the online access and they do it upfront (the smallest plan is $79.95), so thanks to Amy, I got a unit and display for $255 w/ free shipping and 6 months access to the site (and from there I can pay monthly so it's not such a big chunk). Good news is, I put the sucker on eBay last night and I already have a bid in for $120 (plus $10 shipping), so I think I'll be ok. That's what I get for being a bonehead though LOL

This C25K sounds really interesting. My sis and I have been working out 4-5 days a week (hip hop abs, Jililan Michaels and I've been on the ab coaster) and we are both at an annoying plateau. I'm wondering if I should consider doing this.

WTG on those 2 lbs! Between your fill working again and the additional 'new' exercise, you may have jump started your body again! Be careful or pretty soon we won't be able to see you, girl :thumbup:!

I will think the best for you, but I'm feeling that this is way early to catch anything, and this can only turn out for the best! :thumbup:

Thanks, Jacki!

Hi Everyone!

Karen! I am so sorry you are going through this. I had a similar situation last December. I got the call back from scheduling. I was told I had to come back. When I asked why, I was told the normal girl was at lunch and I had to call back.

When I did, the normal girl told me she could not discuss it. It's against the rules. It protects my privacy, doncha know! Would not tell me if it was suspicious or a smudge or blur.

So, after I had a sh*t fit at her and insisted that I speak with the radiologist--which she refused to allow. I asked, well, WHO can tell me what was seen? That they suggested MAYBE my PCP's office could, but this being Friday afternoon, maybe not today.

They were soooooo non-challant about it. My PCP's office was great. But I complained about the schedulers. They didn't care that they were scaring the tar out of me. No one word about how many women get called back for more views. Nothing. Sheesh.

Anyway, turns out that all it was was overlapping skin from the weight loss! Whew! I got the results immediately.

You will be in my prayers that yours turns out the same!!

OMG Denise! Sorry YOU had to go through that!! It's crazy. I wish those people would put themselves in our shoes for goodness sakes. Thank you for letting me know that it is rather common to get called back for additional views. I guess between that, them telling me this could take up to 2 hours and the fact that she asked if I was bringing someone with me kinda freaked me out. Some people have the bedside manner of WWF wrestlers LOL

Thanks again!!

OMG Denise! Sorry YOU had to go through that!! It's crazy. I wish those people would put themselves in our shoes for goodness sakes. Thank you for letting me know that it is rather common to get called back for additional views. I guess between that, them telling me this could take up to 2 hours and the fact that she asked if I was bringing someone with me kinda freaked me out. Some people have the bedside manner of WWF wrestlers LOL

Thanks again!!

Yes, my health care company is Sharp. They advertise all about how wonderful the "Sharp Experience" is. And usually their customer service is very good.

But in my complaint, I told them that in this case, my Sharp Experience was a Sharp Stick in the Eye!

Great to find a positive place on these boards! I have a few questions for all of you experienced bandsters out there. This is just my second day post-op, but I am already so excited about the changes to come!!!

My questions...how soon after surgery did you start to exercise and after surgery, but before your first fill how much liquid would you take in at a time. My instructions say what I can have, but not how much at a time. It see my doctor tomorrow for my post-op check and will ask him, but for today I am still wondering?

Hey AF welcome to our thread, were glad your here. The only time I limit my liquid is for an hour after I eat. Other than that I just drink it, if it is right after a fill or the first couple of days after surgery I would just take a mouthful at a time to make sure it goes down OK and try not to chug it. But I drink a bottle of Water in about 10 min usually and as long as I haven't just eaten it just goes right through into my big stomach.

I really regret not starting to exercise until about 3 months after surgery, I really wasted time by not. I was being stubborn.

Karen, I'm sorry you're facing a potentially scary situation. I've been in those shoes--and I have to say that it's just SO amazing that we have the screening we now have to identify potential problems (and rule them out!). I am sure you will get good news--but we are here for you no matter what.

AF--welcome! My doctor wants us to have at least 2 liters of water/day. I'm only now flirting with restriction, and can drink Fluid without thinking about amount--it moves right through without stretching the pouch, as long as I don't have food in there. (My doctor's rule for that is NO drinking for 90 minutes after a meal.)

I started walking again right after surgery--not as far as I walked preop, but I was up and at 'em right away. I was cleared to exercise without restriction after 4 weeks.

I got my BB on Wednesday, so yesterday I wore it but didn't exercise and I burned 1790 calories. I have switched my food logging to their web site. Their program wants me to burn 2150 calories a day and eat 1250 which is 250 more than normal, so I have to decide whether I am going to continue to do what I have been doing or change to their program. I guess I am going to try and meet the exercise goals first. I finished my first week of C25K today but now I am suppose to rest those muscles for a day so I am confused about what to do for exercise tomorrow, to burn 2150 I am going to have to do something every day but I mostly walk, ride my bike and now run which all involves those same muscles. Any ideas?

Hi AFMom! Welcome!

Exercise, as you can tolerate, just no heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks or as your surgeon advised, but walking is great post-op. It really helps the gas pains. I wore a path in our hallway carpet.

Water, sip sip sip, was my instruction. Don't gulp. Sometimes it comes right back up for me if I gulp (this is with restriction--but is a good habit to get used to).

My PCP says he wants me drinking 3-4 liters a day. So that means constant sipping all day long, with the exception of your surgeons rules around food.

Everyone...I have an NSV. I have been in DC this whole week for meetings. I hung out with some work folk after hours. They dragged me around....and around....and around.....

Y'all know I HATE exercise...BUT...one of the ladies told me about www.mapmyrun.com , it gives you a clickable map that tells you how far you walked/ran. I checked out our route from one evening and it was 3.5 miles! I did it with some pain in my legs, but I DID IT!!!

That is something I would not have been able to do 2 years ago.

Last night I did a night monument tour, I climbed the steps to the Lincoln Memorial without getting totally winded. Oh yeah, I'd say this surgery was worth it!!!

Woot Woot!!!

How awesome is that??? OH yeah!!!!

Oh, and AFMom, the rule of thumb I was given post op was 1 oz of liquid every 15 minutes or so.

Hope that helps! :)

Denise, congratulations--that is a heck of an NSV! Doesn't it feel great?!

Leigha, quick question: how much of that 2150 calories represents exercise above and beyond activities of daily living? The 2150 minus 1790? It should be pretty easy to rack up 360 calories, exercise-wise, even on non-running days. Especially with your gardening and bike riding!

Wow Leigha! Leave it to you to burn that many calories when you're not exercising LOL! I can't wait for my BB to get here! It looks like it will arrive on Tuesday, so not much longer now! So, to burn the extra 300+ calories as Betsy mentioned should be easy with the 'regular' activites you maintain (especially the gardening)! The more I think about it, the more I really think the calorie deficiency is the reason for our plateaus for as much as we're burning. I am going to follow the BB recommendations for a couple of weeks and see what happens. I have nothing to lose at this point, since I'm going on 9 weeks of this blasted plateau LOL! So, I'm guessing you like your BB? I cannot WAIT to get mine!

AF - welcome! I was actually walking right away. You have to take it easy with exercise the first 4 to 6 weeks, but honestly, I was doing about 1 mile per day and I was fine. I wasn't given any timing with drinking (other than no liquids 15 before and an hour after eating).

Denise--CONGRATS on your NSV! Woohoo!

Betsy--thanks for your kind words. I honestly don't know what I'd do without you guys and the support you constantly give. My husband, not being able to handle the thought of anything potentially bad, reacted in the man way and I just felt so alone. I knew though that between my awesome mother (who lives next door thank God) and you guys, I'd be okay though :-)

Happy Mother's Day to all my banded mommies and I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

xo

Betsy I just noticed how well you are doing on the MD challenge! Good job.