Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Delights 2009

I had 3 ccs on an empty band last time and on Monday is my next fill. She only plans on 1.5 ccs more for this fill. I want sooooooooooo badly to feel restriction. Glad to hear their filling you up!!!

Hi Curious, You and I are both lucky with our fills - I did not even have a numbing shot and all I felt was a little prick and it was over and done.

I am having such a hard time moving the lbs since surgery. I walk on the treadmill every day for about 40 mins and I log everything I eat, so I know my calorie count, but the scales remain the same - I'm just 12 lbs down.

My first fill was also 3 ccs, I hope my next one will be the same. Let us know if you feel the restriction once you are back on regular foods.

Viv, how any calories are you getting in each day? Perhaps you're taking in too few calories? That can actually stall weight loss. Have you tried determining what your BMR is so you know how many calories you should be taking in each day in order to lose your goal weekly weight? If you're not sure how to do this, let me know. Good luck!

How do you figure out your BMR? I've been losing slowly, but if I can do better than of course I want to! :thumbup:

I got my first fill yesterday. He put in 5 ccs. He determines how much to put in by the ability to drink Water. He first filled it all the way, had me drink a bit so I could feel it at the base of my throat. Then he took some back out until I felt the water go down. We went back and forth until I could feel the water go down quickly.

I go back Monday for another fill.

He doesn't believe in doing liquids after a fill, so he said just be sure to eat tiny bites and chew thoroughly. Last night I only at about 1.5 oz pork chop with home made golden mushroom sauce, and a few tiny bites of broccoli cheese rice (more broccoli than rice). Then I had a few spoonfuls of apple sauce with my crushed up antibiotic. That was nasty. Only 2 more of those to go before I'm done with them, thank God!

This morning I had about 3/4 of a scrambled egg mixed with a stick of string cheese and a tablespoon or so of salsa. I've got lunch today with some company reps for work so we're going to Black Eyed Pea where I'll probably have some meatloaf which I know is very tender.

I've got to work on drinking more water. And the doc wants me to pay attention to my hunger in the mornings when I eat yogurt. He said it's considered a slider food and will just slip through the band. I didn't eat any this morning only because I'm out and need to get to the grocery store. lol

Viv, how any calories are you getting in each day? Perhaps you're taking in too few calories? That can actually stall weight loss. Have you tried determining what your BMR is so you know how many calories you should be taking in each day in order to lose your goal weekly weight? If you're not sure how to do this, let me know. Good luck!

Hi Mel,

Thanks for your questions. I did not know what my BMR was (I'd never heard of BMR!) but Googled it and calculated my BMR to be 1374.

I am eating between 800 - 900 cals a day. I get on the treadmill every day for 30 to 40 mins and walk at an 8 incline (incline scale 1-10) and at 3.8 mpr. This burns 400 to 450 cals.

It is a week today since my first fill and I have lost just 3 lbs. and I lost 9 lbs from band date to first fill. Do you think I'm just on the low end of W/L? Do you think that because I lost weight (37 lbs) prior to being banded has anything to do with slow W/L now?

I do have an under active thyroid, but my meds actually put me slightly above normal - my PCP said she would keep my dosage a little high to help metabolism and W/L.

I don't feel as if I'm starving on my calorie in take, just a bit hungry as it get close for the next meal. I just have a hard time getting my head around the fact that eating more calories will make me loose weight.

I appreciate your input and comments.:thumbup:

How do you figure out your BMR? I've been losing slowly, but if I can do better than of course I want to! :thumbup:

Your Base Metabolic Rate is the number of calories you need to consume per day just to maintain your current weight. It is based off your height, weight, gender and age. Based off that number, you can then determine what your caloric needs are for your weekly weight loss goal.

As an example, I'll use me. 38 yo female, 5'5", current weight 251. My BMR is 1874 calories per day to maintain my current weight. (I used BMR Calculator to figure my BMR).

If I want to lose 2 pounds per week, with each pound equaling 3500 calories, I need to cut from my caloric intake per week 7000 calories. So I'd take my BMR of 1874 x 7 days = 13,118 calories - 7,000 calories = 6,118 calores / 7 days = 874 calories per day. That would be my caloric intake per day to lose 2 pounds per week.

Now that is kind of low plus I know I'm exercising about 3 times a week. If I know I'm going to burn 300 calories each time I exercise, I need to add back in to my caloric intake each day around 129 calories (300 calories x 3 days = 900 calories / 7 days = 129 calories).

You really never want to go so low in your caloric intake that your body thinks it is in starvation mode, because then it will quit losing weight.

As you get closer to your goal weight, you will actually need to adjust how much weight you lose each week, as 2 pounds is probably too aggressive. You'd want to cut it back to 1/2 to 1 pound lost per week. Then you'd refigure your BMR based on what your current weight is at that time. As we lose weight, our BMR will get lower, thus the reason for the recalculation. I'd recommend recalculating your BMR at least once per month, depending on how much you're losing each month.

I hope this makes sense. If not, next time you speak with your doctor or nutritionist, you can ask them about it.

Hi Mel,

Thanks for your questions. I did not know what my BMR was (I'd never heard of BMR!) but Googled it and calculated my BMR to be 1374.

I am eating between 800 - 900 cals a day. I get on the treadmill every day for 30 to 40 mins and walk at an 8 incline (incline scale 1-10) and at 3.8 mpr. This burns 400 to 450 cals.

It is a week today since my first fill and I have lost just 3 lbs. and I lost 9 lbs from band date to first fill. Do you think I'm just on the low end of W/L? Do you think that because I lost weight (37 lbs) prior to being banded has anything to do with slow W/L now?

I do have an under active thyroid, but my meds actually put me slightly above normal - my PCP said she would keep my dosage a little high to help metabolism and W/L.

I don't feel as if I'm starving on my calorie in take, just a bit hungry as it get close for the next meal. I just have a hard time getting my head around the fact that eating more calories will make me loose weight.

I appreciate your input and comments.:thumbup:

A 3 pound loss in one week is FANTASTIC! Great job! That is actually on the high end of weight loss rate. I think most doctors would advise a 1-2 pounds per week loss. Think about it, if you average 2 pounds lost per week, in a year, you'd lose 104 pounds! That's a lot of weight! Remember that as bandsters, we're not going to lose as fast as a bypasser.

One thing you may want to do is add in a bit more calories each day since you are exercising so much. Your body still needs a minimum amount of calories per day just to function (you know, the important stuff like making our brains function or our hearts beat or our intestines to do their job), so you don't want to go too low on what your daily calories are (don't forget that when you exercise, you are depleting those calories).

I took a great class that was offered by our local health department a few years ago that went into how to calculate your daily caloric needs, and it calculated in your exercise too. Basically, when we exercise, we can actually eat more in calories than if we don't exercise.

You're off to a great start!

5 weeks today......still at 238.

I have lost 16.6 lbs (including pre-op)

All of a sudden---I am hungry!

Super hungry...so loud my tummy growls.

I am starting to eat more---and I don't like that at all.

I go to the dr next Tuesday---I didn't think I would be ready for a fill ( based on lack of hunger before) but yeah---I think I want one.

Is anyone having issues with food at all? So far everything I have tried stays down fine.

A 3 pound loss in one week is FANTASTIC! Great job! That is actually on the high end of weight loss rate. I think most doctors would advise a 1-2 pounds per week loss. Think about it, if you average 2 pounds lost per week, in a year, you'd lose 104 pounds! That's a lot of weight! Remember that as bandsters, we're not going to lose as fast as a bypasser.

One thing you may want to do is add in a bit more calories each day since you are exercising so much. Your body still needs a minimum amount of calories per day just to function (you know, the important stuff like making our brains function or our hearts beat or our intestines to do their job), so you don't want to go too low on what your daily calories are (don't forget that when you exercise, you are depleting those calories).

I took a great class that was offered by our local health department a few years ago that went into how to calculate your daily caloric needs, and it calculated in your exercise too. Basically, when we exercise, we can actually eat more in calories than if we don't exercise.

You're off to a great start!

Hi Mel,

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I guess I was feeling a little discouraged when reading about other Dec. bandsters with super W/L.

Thanks too for all the BMR info - very interesting. You obviously paid attention in class!

Don't you just love this website, especially our little Dec gang - I just learn so much from you guys.

Cheers:smile2:

You all have me curious so I am going straight away to the BMR site.... I have to figure out mine now.. LOL

well, i had my first fill yesterday. can't sleep tonight. between the gurgling, and my port area hurting it was a lost cause.

Plus, i had driven straight back from florida (14 hours) and the nurse looked like I was being ridiculous when i suggested the 2 lb gain might be my stinkin swollen ankles.

5 weeks today......still at 238.

I have lost 16.6 lbs (including pre-op)

All of a sudden---I am hungry!

Super hungry...so loud my tummy growls.

I am starting to eat more---and I don't like that at all.

I go to the dr next Tuesday---I didn't think I would be ready for a fill ( based on lack of hunger before) but yeah---I think I want one.

Is anyone having issues with food at all? So far everything I have tried stays down fine.

New Joy, I think about food constantly. I am hungry all day long. It is a constant battle with me. At first I felt like why did I even get banded and then I went to some support groups and read a bunch on this site. We don't have restriction yet but we will. Hang in there and go for that fill. Sometimes it takes 5-6 fills to get to your sweet spot. I'm thinking of you...hugs....

New Joy - No problems with food yet, though after my second fill this week, I'm taking it easy! Oh yeah, and my tummy growls all the time too!!

Viv - a BMR of 1374 especially with all the exercise you do seems extremely low. being as active as you are, I would say your BMR is somewhere closer to 2300. Which means that to lose 2 lbs. a week, you might want to ingest closer to 1300 calories per day. Though I see a lot of people on these forums who regularly eat around 900 calories, so what do I know!! I agree with Mel, maybe talk to your doctor or nutritionist about this.

We are all moving closer to two months out from surgery (my two months was yesterday!), and I just wanted to say:

WAY TO GO EVERYONE!

New Joy - No problems with food yet, though after my second fill this week, I'm taking it easy! Oh yeah, and my tummy growls all the time too!!

Viv - a BMR of 1374 especially with all the exercise you do seems extremely low. being as active as you are, I would say your BMR is somewhere closer to 2300. Which means that to lose 2 lbs. a week, you might want to ingest closer to 1300 calories per day. Though I see a lot of people on these forums who regularly eat around 900 calories, so what do I know!! I agree with Mel, maybe talk to your doctor or nutritionist about this.

We are all moving closer to two months out from surgery (my two months was yesterday!), and I just wanted to say:

WAY TO GO EVERYONE!

Hi tbird,

Adding moderate exercise into the equation, the website I went to came up with the following numbers: -

"Your basal metabolic rate is 1374 calories per day. Your total energy requirements are 1786 calories per day."

My age plays a part in these calculations, so maybe I don't need as many calories - I am an ancient tortoise compared to you young chicks!

After our chats here yesterday I did up my cals last night and low and behold when I jumped on the scale this morning I had lost a pound!!!:)

I will try again to talk with the Dr at my next appt. At my post-op visit I asked, "exactly how much Protein, cals and liquid should I get a day". He just said 4 - 5 small meals of 200 cals each. Now I'm 6 weeks post-op my needs may have changed. I wish he had a nutritionist on staff.

Thanks for all the support - :)

I just wanted to share the following with you: -

Now that I am one month + post-op, statements and ‘Explanation of Benefits’ have started to arrive from the hospital and my insurance company. Although my insurance covers 80% of my WLS, I was intrigued to know what the lager charges, submitted to the insurance company ,were actually for – they are listed on the ‘Explanation of Benefits’ under the nondescript heading of ‘Service’. I called the hospital and asked for an itemized listing of these services, which the hospital provided.

Being a non-medical person I do not understand what the majority of items are, but a couple of things did catch my eye.

# 1 - on the statement for my pre-op testing there is a double charge for an Electrocardiogram – same date, same service code and same amount of $348.50.

#2 - again on the pre-op testing statement, I see my urine was tested for pregnancy. On the paperwork I filled out I listed all surgeries I had had, which included a tubal ligation done 25 years ago! Due to the fact that I have not become pregnant in the last 25 years, I take this as good sign that the tubal ligation has worked and that it is highly unlikely I would be with child now! This, and the fact that I have been post -menopausal for the last twelve years and that I am nearly sixty one years of age, I see as almost certain proof in ruling out the possibility of me being pregnant and yet I was still tested. Cost for this test, $135.00.

#3 – if one pregnancy test was enough, there is another charge on the statement (this time on the date of my surgery) for a second pregnancy urine test. This is a completely false charge, as I never give my urine to any one on that day. In fact, on the day of my surgery I had very little urine at all. I arrived at the hospital before 5:00 a.m. and my surgery was delayed and delayed. I did not go into the O.R. until 7:00 p.m. that evening. As I had had my last drink at 11:00 p.m. the night before and did not get a drink of Water until 10:00 p.m., this meant I went 23 hours with a sip of water passing my lips. I certainly would have remembered giving a urine sample, as they would have had to squeeze it out of me! Another charge of $135.00.

To my reckoning that is a total of $618.50 of wrong/unnecessary charges, and that is only on the few things I could figure out what they were. It makes me wonder about all the other items listed on this 4-page statement!!!!!!

I called the hospital and they will audit the Electrocardiogram and one preg test charge. The first preg test is standard for all women. I asked, “if I was 101 years of age would I still get a preg test?” “yes”, was the reply. It maybe standard, but it is not very practical!!!