Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Delights 2009

Well hello fellow bandster hellians,

Seems like we are all in this together. I am having more problems with head hunger I think. I don't really feel hungry because my stomach always feels bloated or gassy. I take the gas x strips and I do pass gas (tmi) but I still feel bloated. Nevertheless, I still have an urge to eat something. This is what makes me think it is only head hunger. I have not gotten on the scale since surgery on 12/17 but I go for my first post-op appt tomorrow so I will see what it says. I started at 282 prior to pre-op diet and was at 268-269 on the day of surgery. I am just feeling tired, although I am trying to get in the Protein and I have started to exercise more. I guess this is just a process that I am determined to get through.

Good luck Great Ex, with your f/u appointment tomorrow. I go tonight for my first post-op support group meeting. I'll weigh in, so it will be interesting to see what those scales will have me at. This morning, my scales at home remained steady at 261.4 pounds, same as yesterday. Of course, that's without my clothes on. Tonight's weighing will be fully clothes sans shoes.

My official pre-op weight was 288. Day of surgery it was around 274. I've lost another 13 pounds since. My heighest weight, which I took at a PCP dr appt in July was 294.

I too have been adding exercise to my days. Since 1/1, I've exercised every day except on Sunday. I joined the January exercise challenge. My goal is 30 miles in January to walk.

My first fill is 2/2.

YUMMY MEAL IDEA

Hope you all are doing well, wanted to share this because when I made it, I wasn't sure if I'd like it..and not sure how original it is, so don't laugh at me, lol:

For lunch I had 3oz of Swanson chicken (canned in Water, drain off the water) mixed with 2 tbsp Ortega salsa, a little bit of shredded cheese and a little bit of hot sauce. Tasted like a chicken taco/burrito minus the shell...yummy!!! about 170 calories 23g of protien and maybe 2g carbs!!!

Great for after you're off liquids! Soft enough to puree or just eat as softs.

I accidently posted this on "The other" forum but wanted it here...

I've been banded for 8 days now and still have tons of gas pains/heartburn in my chest and shoulder. I've been walking and moving around a lot (I have 3 little ones to chase). Still on liquids only and I also take about 6-7 gas X a day.

Has anyone else had it this long? Is this normal?

Thank goodness I am not alone. I was banded on 12/30 so I am 7 days post op and home today from work because the gas pain in my shoulder is tremendous. I didn't have any real pains until day 6 so I thought I was so lucky b ut it hit me yesterday. I am using gas x, heating pads and back to taking my pain meds. I am curious how long everyone else had the gas/shoulder pain? When did he fade?

I called and I'm going to the Dr. in the morning. They did say that heartburn is NOT normal. It is constant and I'm a little nervous as to what they will say.:smile2:

Curious -

I, too, was banded on the 30th, and I, too, am experiencing more shoulder pain today. Now, I have had the pain from the get-go, but it has definitely increased. I have tried everything - heating pad, hot shower, boyfriend "burping" me, laying down, gas ex chewables (I stopped with the strips when I realized I could eat my Vitamins with no issue - and the chewables seem more potent to me), etc. I have less pain if I stand than sit, but MAN does it hurt when I have to bend down for something!

My thought is that it may be possible that because the "gas pain" in the shoulder is actually the diaphram being irritated (so says my surgeon, at least), the act of bending over adds more pressure to the diaphram and increases the pain. Just my thought.

I had one small problem soon after surgery - one of my incisions opened up! Of course, with the new year holiday backing up to the weekend, my clinic wasn't open :smile2: So yesterday I went down there and they cleaned up the incision (I'd been keeping it clean and covered) and prescribed more antibiotics. Can't wait to start yogurt so I can replace some of those lost bugs in my intestines!

Hope you are all doing well, considering.

Sorry 2 hear that.i am post 1 year.very limited on what i can eat no bread, Pasta, rice, raw veggies and raw fruit

Hello all!

I had surgery on 12/11 and just had my first fill today... Im not going to lie I almost passed out! I hate needles, which was my main problem. I haven't lost much since surgery and haven't lost much in the past two weeks. So I'm not in a hurry to get another one!

For all those kids with gas pain... it lasted about a week and a half for me... I swear it was like my stomach was speaking to me every few minutes. ha. It was so bad I couldn't stand up straight, but now its gone... so have faith! It will get better!

Hello all!

I had surgery on 12/11 and just had my first fill today... Im not going to lie I almost passed out! I hate needles, which was my main problem. I haven't lost much since surgery and haven't lost much in the past two weeks. So I'm not in a hurry to get another one!

For all those kids with gas pain... it lasted about a week and a half for me... I swear it was like my stomach was speaking to me every few minutes. ha. It was so bad I couldn't stand up straight, but now its gone... so have faith! It will get better!

Did you have heart burn too?

Did you have heart burn too?

I think so. At times it was hard to tell if it was gas pains or heartburn. Taking a gas-x strip like ten minutes before I had anything really helped! But honestly the gas was so bad I would get up in the middle of the night the first week to walk around and try to use the restroom. hopefully It lets up on you!

YUMMY MEAL IDEA

Hope you all are doing well, wanted to share this because when I made it, I wasn't sure if I'd like it..and not sure how original it is, so don't laugh at me, lol:

For lunch I had 3oz of Swanson chicken (canned in Water, drain off the water) mixed with 2 tbsp Ortega salsa, a little bit of shredded cheese and a little bit of hot sauce. Tasted like a chicken taco/burrito minus the shell...yummy!!! about 170 calories 23g of protien and maybe 2g carbs!!!

Great for after you're off liquids! Soft enough to puree or just eat as softs.

I'm gonna have to try this next week. I'm on full liquids and I have to say... Thank heavens for Chinese Hot & Sour soup!

I called and I'm going to the Dr. in the morning. They did say that heartburn is NOT normal. It is constant and I'm a little nervous as to what they will say.:thumbup:

I was also banded the 28th and I'm just now getting to where the gas and chest pains are subsiding, although mine weren't terrible. I went in Monday to have my staples removed and they said (at least in my case) it was considered normal. Good luck and let us know what your doctor says.

bellyfatgone, I hope your appt. goes well. don't forget to check back in.

I posted in a separate thread that we have a stomach bug in the house. I am terrified that I will get it and my band will slip. There is nothing in this world that makes me want to have another surgery. The last one scared the crap out of me.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your concerns. He put me on pepcid complete for a week to see if it goes away. If not then I need to check back with him next week. I asked if he see patients having heartburn very often and he said it's rare (of course!).

Anyway, I'm hoping this will help. The good news is that I get to go to mushies tomorrow!!! can't wait to eat again.

I went for my first fill yesterday afternoon and I was a nervous wreck! I don't like needles, but I try to wear my big girl panties and suck them up. Needless to say when I saw the "fill needle" I was ready to FAINT!:( Then my doctor came in a assured me that I wouldn't feel it b/c he was going to give me a tiny needle to numb my belly first. ;)

He numbed me, put 4 cc's in my band and it was all over in less that 3 minutes and I was a happy bandster. :smile:

Appetite has been greatly reduced today, as a matter of fact I am still full from some chicken salad I had for lunch and it's now 7:45pm. I hope this lasts and the scale will finally begin to move in the right direction!