Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Delights 2009

I had my surgery today. Everything went smoothly. I did have a hernia that Dr. Hollis fixed. I woke up with the worst gas pain you can imagine. I immediately got up and started walking. Dr. Hollis filled my band so the first time I tried to get Water down, I threw it back up. I was given some anti-inflammatory medicine, fluids, and gas x. I walked around for an hour because I had to get something down before I could leave. It really helped with the gas. When I got home I took a nap then got up again to heat some chicken broth. The hot broth really helped with the gas as well. So the key is walking and warm liquids to help with the gas.

Hello Everyone! I was banded on 12.2.09 and I am still feeling a little discomfort, but I am good :thumbup:

Is Anyone Else Craving Real food? Not large amounts, but even looking at a cooking show my mouth is watering...are you guys feeling this?

The thought of real food makes me want to get sick. At this point I can't even imagine eating. If i'm this sore with just liquids what would it be like with real food.

Terri

And the December list continues to grow!!! My preop appointment was today. All along, I've been somewhat down with all you new Baby Bandsters around and me going on the 22nd. Plus, I'm STARVING!!! Well, I went to my appointment and he said that I'm doing so well that he put me in on the 16th instead! My "smoking" test (to see if I cheated and had a cig) was perfect and I had lost 11 lbs. in about a month since I last saw him. He was very happy with me and said he would fix my hunger for me...lol...I am very happy tonight not having to wait until the 22nd and by Christmas I should be feeling better! :thumbup:

KarynA, So sorry you got sick. Take it easy and try not to do so much. Let your body heal. You don't want to rip your stiches. Do you? The ones, inside, you can't see and are very important so that you don't have slippage or erosion in the future!!! Take care.

And the December list continues to grow!!! My preop appointment was today. All along, I've been somewhat down with all you new Baby Bandsters around and me going on the 22nd. Plus, I'm STARVING!!! Well, I went to my appointment and he said that I'm doing so well that he put me in on the 16th instead! My "smoking" test (to see if I cheated and had a cig) was perfect and I had lost 11 lbs. in about a month since I last saw him. He was very happy with me and said he would fix my hunger for me...lol...I am very happy tonight not having to wait until the 22nd and by Christmas I should be feeling better! :thumbup:

KarynA, So sorry you got sick. Take it easy and try not to do so much. Let your body heal. You don't want to rip your stiches. Do you? The ones, inside, you can't see and are very important so that you don't have slippage or erosion in the future!!! Take care.

great job with the not smoking thing! i know how hard that was for you. your HARD work paid off with the earlier band date. congrats!

Guest austrolatrishy

Glad all went fairly well for you Yolly! I had Dr. Hollis as well, he was great! I also woke up with bad gas pains... my advice to you is to use that breathing tool they gave you and take your pain meds... lol. It helps with the gas pains! Good luck to you! :thumbup:

Hello everyone! I just wanted to say hello to my December Delights! This journey has just started for me and I'm open to share my experiences!

Congratulations to the bandsters this week!!

weight.png

Well, I am one week out and feeling good! I am still a little sore but I have more energy and the gas pains are lessening. I am very happy with the choice to get this band and I feel more control over food than I ever have!

uh-oh; does every doctor give a "smoking" test at the pre-op?

I quit smoking in September and saw my (second) surgeon in October for the first time. When asked if I smoked, I was honest and said, "No, I quit on September 12th". It never came up again. The night before the banding, feeling very anxious about the whole thing, I took a few drags from a cigarette (okay fine - I smoked half). I give myself the option to have half of one per day, if I need it. But not the night before surgery... that was weakness, nothing more. Anyway, I was soooooo scared that I was going to be tested the next day. As soon as I got there, they said I had to give them a urine sample. I couldn't think of why they might need that, with all my testing done and up to date. I was holding my breath til one of the nurses came over to tell me that I "wasn't pregnant." Huge sigh of relief.

I haven't smoked since then and don't plan to - it's a challenge every day, especially since I had to stop taking Chantix too (per my doctor, a week before surgery because of the nausea it causes if taken without food).

Anyway, that was MY experieince. Please note that all doctor's are very different.

Stop me if I've shared this one with you, but on Saturday morning (surgery was Friday at noon), I got out of bed determined not to lay there all day. I didn't feel all that great, but I didn't feel all that bad either (not yet anyway). I thought it would be a good day to take out Christmas decorations and start sprucing-up the place for the holidays (very ambitious). So... my husband and eight-year-old son took-off to a get a tree while I stayed home to rest and go throught the bins looking for tree lights, etc. It occurred to me that I needed to get some walking-in, so I went out to the garage where my rarely used treadmill is, and turned it on. My husband came back in for something (gloves?)... and asked me what I was planning on doing. I said, "Honey, it's okay, remember the doctor said that walking would help with the gas pain?" He thought it was a bad idea. I kept talking, convincing him that it was good thing and eventually he just shook his head and told me to walk reeeeally slow and to get off of it if I didn't feel good cause he wouldn't be home to help me. I agreed. About one minute after I had gotten on the thing (and he had driven away), I had to jump off of it and run to the kitchen sink. I got sick. And getting sick with nothing in your stomach isn't a fun experience. I ended-up having to lay down for much of the afternoon and our eight-year-old had a field day with the Christmas decorations. I'm still cleaning-up the mess. So... I haven't been on the treadmill since (it's not time yet). And of course, when he got home I had to tell him that "he was right.... yadda yadda." If there's a moral to this story, I guess it's this: Sometimes being overly enthusiastic isn't a good thing. And sometimes I don't know everything.

Karyn,

This may be too late, but perhaps you should ask your surgeon for a prescription for the patch you put behind your ear that controls nausea. My doc gave me a Rx for them and I'll put one on immediately after the surgery, wear it for three days, then put a new one on and wear it for three days as well. He said it was very important not to throw up with the band on (different from the regurgitation). I'd give him a call if you are still feeling nauseated.

I hope you're feeling better.

I was banded on 12/3/09 and I am having chest pains when I hicup. Is anyone else having this issue?

Thank you~

Karyn is right. All docs are different. My surgeon said if I didn't quit he would not band me! But that's okay because he is a very good surgeon. He has a couple of special techniques he uses during surgery that he is teaching other Lap Band docs. He has NEVER had a port flip because of this and has only once had to remove a band placed by another doctor. I really wanted him as a surgeon.

Also, the test for smoking is a blood test. Just FYI. It's called CarbonHemoglobin test. Anyway, I quit and I'm glad. I still want one...even dreamed about it...lol but will stay quit even after the surgery. "I am going to live a long and healthy life." (my mantra)

That is such great news. Congratulations illuminationlady - keep up the good work:thumbup: - You'll be the day after me.

KarynA - also sorry that you got sick. Hopefully you are taking it easy for a couple of days. Keep us posted.

Karyn,

This may be too late, but perhaps you should ask your surgeon for a prescription for the patch you put behind your ear that controls nausea. My doc gave me a Rx for them and I'll put one on immediately after the surgery, wear it for three days, then put a new one on and wear it for three days as well. He said it was very important not to throw up with the band on (different from the regurgitation). I'd give him a call if you are still feeling nauseated.

I hope you're feeling better.

KarynA,

Thanks for posting that. I Was seriously considering doing a few minutes on the Wii Fit step program. I knew it wasn't a great idea, but I didn't think it could hurt. Clearly, it can.

I'm sure the worst part of the experience was having to admit hubby was right. :thumbup:

Melinco- the prescription may not be a bad idea. i had not felt nauseas(spelling) at all until 5 minutes after removing that patch. I'd convinced myself it was just in my head, but maybe i do really still need the patch. i'm gonna ask my doc when I speak with him this afternoon.