Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

good morning everyone,

thanks so much for all the well wishes. & Chrissy you are right the first couple days are the worst. I still have pain but am feeling much better.

I actually got about 5 hrs sleep last night, as opposed to 1-2 i was getting before.

not gonna make it to the meeting today, still on pain meds and have no driver. But will for sure be at the next one.

still keeping all my fluids down and finally passed some gas!! I know probably TMI, but at the hospital they keep asking me if I had yes thththtth

will probably advance to full liquids later today, wish me luck :-)

everyone going to the meeting have a great time, for all have a great day !!!

Sherri

Thanks all for the congrats. I can't make it today for a couple of reasons, first my son has a T-ball game at 11:30 and also it is a long drive for just my self. Although I a desperate for a support group meeting since they cancelled the one where I live. So maybe I will host soon or plan something for all of us to do closer to me :smile:

Thanks for asking Ali...

It went really well. I met Dr. Baggs and he seems awesome! He actually suggested I got the rouen surgery or something...but I am still wanting the LAP-BAND®. He said because I am young I may have to have another surgery to replace it in a few years...but that is okay with me. He said the LAP-BAND® would only take me from 255 to around 210...but I am sure I can lose more.

He set my Psych appt in Richmond for July 8...and he only wants me to loose 12 lbs. After that I can call the case manager...weigh in and possibly surgery by Oct :smile:

Has anyone had lap-band® who is around 250 on here? I mean would you recommend a different surgery? I just worry because my mom had one of the orginal bypass surgeries like 30 years ago and had major issues and had it reveresed. I know it has evolved since then...A LOT. But she passed away and they said she had not absorbed things right since she had the surgery eventhough it had been reversed. So...just worries me to have things reconnected and or removed.

But super excited after meeting Dr. Baggs :thumbup:

Hi Cole

I haven't been on in a while, but wanted to tell you that if you look at my numbers below I started at 256 and am at 192 now - with 37 pre-op loss and 27 post surgery. My doctor, Dr. Park, told me I was a likely candidate to lose all my weight by starting with a BMI in the low 40's. She said there were good success statistics with people in that BMI range - she said people that start with much higher BMIs - like in the high 50's and 60's she thinks the other surgeries are better options for them. I trust her; she is one of the founders of the program at Kaiser Richmond. Even though I have been struggling, my issues are my old habits - not the band. I believe it is a good tool. Also even with my struggles, I have not gained, which shows that once I am able to lose all my weight it will be a good tool to help me maintain.

I enjoyed the plastic surgeon presentation today--he was very personable and spoke in real terms. Since my pcp told me I wouldn't be a candidate for Kaiser plastic surgery it was nice to hear what I might be looking at. Of course, that is a ways down the road.

I had to leave early so I didn't get to go to break out group.. :smile:

Relized today its 2 months since surgery and I have lost 30 pounds since surgery and 35 total! I bought an XL shirt! yippee!!

Off to prep for the grad party tomorrow!

Yeah Ash - cool picture. I hope to be there soon. Yes, the weight loss is slower with the band, but that is also why I picked it. I have lost 79 lbs since my orientation 13 mths ago - so it is possible and it may take me another year to lose my last 20-25 lbs but that is okay too. I'm not running a race - this is a lifelong transformation - body and mind.

I am going to try out my new bike tonight - I rode a bike even when I was at my highest weight - oh well I knew it looked bad - but oh well I didn't care.

I will be there tomorrow but not for the seminar afterwards. Can't wait to see my old friends and meet my new ones.

Pam - You are awesome. I am so happy to hear about your success. 17lbs is amazing and especially after you were so frustrated for no losing after so long. I can really tell you are working hard to incorporate exercise. And most of all the head stuff - that is the real work in all of this. Congrats I am really happy for you. Miss you - can't wait for another walk date.

Hi Riley!!!

Pat where are you?

Tam - I am here. Just been really busy with work and home. As you know I work in computers so sometimes the last thing I want to do at the end of a long day is to go online again.

I finally caught up on 7 pages of post! I am really proud of you for working to get down for your fill. I think Pam gave good advise. We do the best when we stick to the Protein and veggies. And your body does react to being severly calorie restricted.

How is school going? Sorry to hear about the unemployment hassles - isn't there something for job training support?

How is your little one? She is such a cutie!

Miss you sista - we need another walk date!

Ok, looks like I will be able to make it tomorrow after all. So I guess I will see you there! :smile:

Stacey - we live really close to each other. I work in Novato and live in Petaluma. Riley on here lives in Santa Rosa. There is a Sonoma County Weight Loss support group that meets the 2nd saturday of the month (7/10 is next one). Also at Kaiser Santa Rosa there is a support group the third Thursday night of the month. I will look see if I added you as a friend and will add you if I didn't so I can PM you info and my phone number. Maybe we can get togther to walk - there are some great trails in Petaluma.

Riley is my hero on here - she is such a great role model and so honest about the successes and struggles.

Thanks all for the congrats. I can't make it today for a couple of reasons, first my son has a T-ball game at 11:30 and also it is a long drive for just my self. Although I a desperate for a support group meeting since they cancelled the one where I live. So maybe I will host soon or plan something for all of us to do closer to me :smile:

Ashley -WOO HOO! Wonderland feels so goooooood! Congrats - you are doing so well.

good morning everyone,

thanks so much for all the well wishes. & Chrissy you are right the first couple days are the worst. I still have pain but am feeling much better.

I actually got about 5 hrs sleep last night, as opposed to 1-2 i was getting before.

not gonna make it to the meeting today, still on pain meds and have no driver. But will for sure be at the next one.

still keeping all my fluids down and finally passed some gas!! I know probably TMI, but at the hospital they keep asking me if I had yes thththtth

will probably advance to full liquids later today, wish me luck :-)

everyone going to the meeting have a great time, for all have a great day !!!

Sherri

Sherri - so glad you are doing better. It gets better everyday. Also in a few weeks and then a month you will feel like a new woman. The ladies and John on here are a great source of info and help. Lost of difference experiences and lots of encouragement and ideas to help when things are hard.

Pat......THANK YOU sooo much for the help and for your support. What a great inspiration you are and so glad Dr. Park said we would have a good success rate since they seem to be phasing it out I think they are talking people out of it. But I think Dr. Park is the highest rated surgeons...so that is excellent to hear. Thank you somuch for sharing.

As for everyone else I am sorry I missed the meeting today. Had no babysitter so did not want to impose my little princess on anyone just yet! Hope it went well.

OK I am now caught up on 7 pages of posts!

A big big big THANK YOU to Donna!

You were so sweet to reach out and call me last night after not hearing from me. I love you sister! Yes, we seem to have so many of the same struggles. At our 'mature' age (as I refuse to call us old) we share similiar challenges as well as goals that have changed over the year. It was so helpful to talk to you.

Riley Jane! I know you are in love, but we need to connect. I know you have been struggling but we need each other. Email me, Call me girl! We need to walk!

Mo - you are rockin' it - so proud of you.

Tina - things sound a little better. My therapist has talked to me alot about research that says the body sensation for hunger are almost the same for anxiety. Really interesting insight.

Ali, Ash, April, Cole, Laurel - hi - great to catch up and see where everyone is. You are doing great!

John - avitar pic is great - finally - and you are a techie - OK your next challenge is to add a ticker! Reading your post and signature it looks like you have lost 125lbs so far - that is so incredible. Please don't complain about 1 -2 lbs a week as those of us that are stuck would kill for that - you guys make us jealous! Seriously, you are such an inspiration - I bet Nikki is so proud of you - you have added years to your life!

Reggie, Jess and Candra - really miss you. Hope you are doing OK - even if you aren't let us know what's up. Sending a long distance hug.

Anyone else I missed - so sorry - hope you are well.

I am working really hard on the head part of the journey. I will share some things in the hope it may help anyone feeling in a similiar place.

One of my biggest challenges is when I get home from work; I am usually very tired and often stressed. Neither of those things are going to go away. I use food to comfort myself. So in therapy I am working with my therapist on how to find other ways to comfort myself. One thing I discovered is that repetative motion and softness seem to sooth me. (I find myself rubbing my foot back and forth on a soft blanket or the sheets when I am in bed and having trouble getting to sleep.) We also talked about the repetative motion of eating, the movement of the spoon/fork back and forth or eating lots of small things like M&Ms, and for me lately, raisins! So I am looking for replacements to try. The pull to food when I am feeling like this is amazingly strong.

So it isn't just about exercising resistance - which is very very important, but also about finding other coping mechanisms. I am trying a rocking chair - I have one in my bedroom and am thinking of moving it in the living room, since I tend to flop in front of the TV when I am tired and stressed. I know that I shouldn't watch as much TV when I am in that tired stressed mode, but I also believe you can't change everyone at once! So I will keep you posted on how this goes.

I believe with all my heart this isn't about food or about WLS - it is about getting at the real issues of why I over eat/ eat things that aren't good for me. If I can address this my weight loss journey will be successful; if I can't the band or any WLS isn't going to help since you can eat around any WLS. That being said - it isn't easy - losing 100+ lbs and dealing with lifelong head issues is hard hard work - WLS or not!

Love you all!

Edited by wantshealth

It was nice to see Donna, Heather and Tina today and to meet Stacey. I didn't even know you were there Cole until after you left.

I really liked the plastic surgery presentation - although not sure if I will be having any - will have to see later and save up some money.

You are so right Pat - it really isn't about food or WLS - it is about the reasons I overeat. I need to make another appt with my therapist - I see her once in a while and it really helps me get back on track.

Evening Everyone! At work...

Pat - Thanks for the kind comments! Not complaining about 1-2 pounds a week just though it would be a little more… It’s my fault, lack of exercise and a little snacking. I used to have a ticker but the thing was a PITA to maintain so I just update my signature. Good to hear from you! Thanks for sharing your update. Keep truckin!

Hi everyone,

I don't need a refill yet, but I am curious... do they even give you a refill on the liquid vicodin? I have a very low tolerance to pain and have already gone through almost half the bottle. (no worries I am following the dosage directions)

thanks for info

Sherri

afternoon all.........

So loved seeing everyone today at the meeting. I like the plastic surgeon presentation too. Amazing stuff. I didn't want surgery before but now I am debating.......not that I can afford it. But wow!!

My daughter was with my and thought the ladies should have had on bras!! LOL!! She said it was alot of nudity!! I don't know why but I never noticed that until she mentioned it. I guess I lost my modesty with all the doc appointments the last year.

PAT:

Thanks so much for caring!! I am doing SO MUCH better this week. Anxiety and hunger are simliar feelings........that is really something interesting to think about. I have been doing Yoga and go in the resp therapist on Wednesday. I saw my PCP and she thinks I have asthma.....just have to confirm it. Of course the anxiety only makes everything seem worse than it is.......I go in for the anxiety group orientation in two weeks.I really like your therapist Pat, wish I could one like that. Considering stress leave from work for a couple of week. The doc things it is a good idea but don't feel 100% convinced about it. They are laying people off I don't want to lose my job .........or give them an excuse to lay me off.

LRL:

They didn't offer the sleeve either when I got my op. I am pretty sure I would have serious considered it. Your right the aftercare with the band is alot of work. I think the long drives are part of it..............maybe if the fills were in sac that would make it easier. But I hear ya!!

The seminar I went to today was GREAT!!! Really loved it and got alot out of it. Just wish I couldhave visited more with everyone. I felt like I missed out on Mimis!!

I am going to be early. That 3am pick up of my daughter at the airport thursday night has me wiped out!!! :-)

Edited by swrktp