Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Aaron Hoffman - Lap Band done in Buffalo, NY (Dr. Hoffman)

I just had my lap band surgery on 11/2/09. I'm 5 days post-op and feel pretty good except some intermittent pain under my left rib cage. Dr. Hoffman and the staff and the comprehensive weight loss center are amazing. I started my journey in August @ 277 and was 247 on the day of surgery. By keeping my food logs and following the south beach/low glycemic diet as well as exercising it's been easy. As a matter of fact, I'm chomping at the bit to get back to the gym. Right now I'm only able to tolerate 1 to 2 oz of Protein Shake every hour and am down 6 lbs since surgery. I have my follow-up with Dr. Hoffman on Tuesday. I also like the fact that they have the weight loss support group that meets monthly. I went even prior to having my surgery and it was great to talk with everyone that was there. I'm hoping to go to this months meeting and then I'll be there regularly starting in January (had conflict with bowling on Wednesdays). I saw a bunch of post regarding weight gain and my advise it to start doing food logs again and jump on the south beach wagon again. Make sure you're getting your exercise too. I swear by the food logs. It makes you accountable for your choices. Surgery is a tool but you have to be incontrol of what you put in your mouth.

Good morning gals

I'm sorry to hear you guys are struggling. I have been sick and am still drained but I am out of control. I started eating some rice because it is just my comfort food when i'm sick. By yesterday I had 3 pcs of pizza and 2 pcs of cake and some left over chinese food, by time i had the 2nd pc of cake, i took all the bad stuff and put it in the garbage disposal. I'm out of control myself. Can you all believe I'm saying this? Clearly I can eat anything I want at this point, and this is going to be hard, but I'm doing at least 2-3 days of Clear Liquids to get a serious relality check. I have to go to nutrition next week and I can't go in there feeling like a giant fatty. I would be ok being the same weight if I feel good, and well. That is definatley not the case, I feel bloated and yucky.

So, see, super cheerleader here has bad days too, and I have come a long way and can admit it, not happy to report, but have learned I need to hold myself accountable too.

On a happy note, going o be beautiful here today and I am going to get our xmas lights up today so I don't have to freeze while doing it.

Hello again

I had my 3 hr visit 2 weeks ago and have my appt with dr posner on the 30th. Couple of questions...

1. What if I don't lose the 5% by the time of my appt?? I'm struggling to stay on the SB diet.

2. I'm reading so much about people gaining weight, eating a ton of food..my question is... how is that possible? I thought you vomit, etc.. if you consume too much. I'm second guessing the surgery...

Any insight would be helpful :w00t:

Thanks!!!

Renee

Hello again

I had my 3 hr visit 2 weeks ago and have my appt with dr posner on the 30th. Couple of questions...

1. What if I don't lose the 5% by the time of my appt?? I'm struggling to stay on the SB diet.

2. I'm reading so much about people gaining weight, eating a ton of food..my question is... how is that possible? I thought you vomit, etc.. if you consume too much. I'm second guessing the surgery...

Any insight would be helpful :smile2:

Thanks!!!

Renee

Hi Renee,

First off, I believe the 5% is an insurance thing. You'd have to check however that being said, the thing that I love about the comprehensive weight loss center is that they want you to be able to follow rules PRIOR to surgery. If you can't...how are you going to succeed after. I'm sure they gave your the book and you have to log all your food and exercise. You don't have to follow SB...try the low glycemic diet. That worked for me. You may also want to go the next support group on 11/18. It helps to talk with people who have had the surgery. I went prior to my surgery and I will continue to go unless I have a conflict. As for your second questions. The lap band is a tool and nothing more. You're the one that decides what you eat..no one else. Do you want to throw up? I would say not, so don't overeat. That's why I'm so impressed with the center. They are very helpful with EVERYTHING. Don't be afraid to ask.

Hi Renee,

First off, I believe the 5% is an insurance thing. You'd have to check however that being said, the thing that I love about the comprehensive weight loss center is that they want you to be able to follow rules PRIOR to surgery. If you can't...how are you going to succeed after. I'm sure they gave your the book and you have to log all your food and exercise. You don't have to follow SB...try the low glycemic diet. That worked for me. You may also want to go the next support group on 11/18. It helps to talk with people who have had the surgery. I went prior to my surgery and I will continue to go unless I have a conflict. As for your second questions. The LAP-BAND® is a tool and nothing more. You're the one that decides what you eat..no one else. Do you want to throw up? I would say not, so don't overeat. That's why I'm so impressed with the center. They are very helpful with EVERYTHING. Don't be afraid to ask.

Good morning,

I am going to agre with you on this. It is a mental thing, I waited just about a year for surgery because of some very stressful personal things in my life. For me, it was the best thing I could have done. I still get completely out of control at times, Like this weekend, but I have not had a sip of soda or beer in over 3 years. Something I knew was a problem for me.

Support groups are fantastic and you should go if you can, just even to get ideas.

As for vomiting, everyone is different, I can't eat deli meat except for bad ones, (italian meat) and after 2 years I'm just able to eat chicken and I wont even try it if I don't cook it. It is all a huge learning game. After 2 years out and being content with my weight, I learned how to play the game, and took a long hard look at myself. I now can acknowedge I have an eating disorder and learning how to live with it, vs dieting on and off all the time.

Don't be discouraged, talk to dr, support group, ask away here... I personally don't think you should rush into a date if you don't feel ready, but when I am asked if I would do it again... there is not a bit of hesitation.. HELL YEA... sign me up.

Also, I do have to add, don't stop going to nutritin and dr check ups after surgery, I went almost a year without and now that I'm going back regulary, it is motivation to do well, plus, it helps to keep you on track, you are not doing this alone, so use all your resources

Hello Ladies,

Im happy to report that most of the weight I gained is gone and I dint change a thing. I think I was retaining Water or something so hopefully Im on my way back down.

Im trying to keep my comments possitive so I will stop here!:smile2:

Hello Ladies,

Im happy to report that most of the weight I gained is gone and I dint change a thing. I think I was retaining Water or something so hopefully Im on my way back down.

Im trying to keep my comments possitive so I will stop here!:)

:smile2: Congrats.

I just went to lunch and it took all i had to choke down a cup of salad. I'm stuck again, yipee.... liquid diet for me!

Here I am in my Mary Poppins costume. I had a lot of fun and drank a bit too much! I think Im up a lb but whatever.

You look great! I got a little bit enebriated too hehe.. here is me as a A Pirate Wench

post-232171-13813138863061_thumb.jpg

Edited by BigGurlX

:smile2: Congrats.

I just went to lunch and it took all i had to choke down a cup of salad. I'm stuck again, yipee.... liquid diet for me!

Hey Jenn,

Thats what I need to do too is go back on liquids too.. I really messed up this past weekend..whoever created chocolate should be drawn and quartered :):w00t:

Hello everyone

Saw Dr.H today and got a surgery date of Jan 18 !!

Could have had the week of Christmas but I will be going on vacation 2 weeks later so decided to wait til I come back.

Looking forward to this just still seems so far off.

Glad to see everyone is doing well with the weight loss :smile2:

Maria

Congrats on your surgery date Maria! Fun times ahead:bananalama:

Looking good Yvette.

Jenn,

I can never eat salad that always get stuck. Maybe your band is irritated so liquids will help things settle down?

Looking good Yvette.

Yes, you do look great.

Jenn,

I can never eat salad that always get stuck. Maybe your band is irritated so liquids will help things settle down?

I am very picky about what salad I can eat, when I make them at home I almost shred the lettuce and I can't choke down the leafy green part. I usually have romane and start at the bottom, and don't eat the tops. LOL and I use homemade italian dressing which helps it slide down.

Defintely doing liquids.

Thanks Girls for your congrats on my surgery date!

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well Jenn, hope you feel better soon. Seems to be going around :)

I was able to make the 5% weight loss (took a while) but am finding it hard to go much further.

Hopefully we will all do well during the holidays ... not easy but we can try to do our best :)

Maybe we can even stay the same and not gain..i would be happy with that!! :tongue2:

Maria

Thanks Girls for your congrats on my surgery date!

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well Jenn, hope you feel better soon. Seems to be going around :)

I was able to make the 5% weight loss (took a while) but am finding it hard to go much further.

Hopefully we will all do well during the holidays ... not easy but we can try to do our best :)

Maybe we can even stay the same and not gain..i would be happy with that!! :tongue2:

Maria

Maria

Thanks, yes feeling much better, still stuffy and having a hard time eating but better, did 7 miles yesterday and 6 uphill miles today. Going to hit the shower and do a little cleaning and have a meeting tonight, then a late happy hr. I know... don't need empty calories, but I can't resist.

I say, we can survive the holidays, even if we maintain, we are still ahead of most of the world. LOL

Have a great day

I have been offline for a while, my computer burned something out and is in shop for 2-3 weeks...But worse than that, I am up 6 lbs since last wed. at Hoff. how can that be, I did cheat here and there this past week, but I don;t think I cheated 6 lbs worth, I feel so out of control, and I think My esophogus is stretched cause I can eat anything and nothing is getting stuck and I feel hungry all the time.. I have always been able to eat salad, never had a problem, I am sitting on this old desktop that takes forever and I miss talking with all of you. I will check in again later...