Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you cheat on pre-op liquid diet

Did you cheat on liquid diet  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Did you cheat on liquid diet

• No, I didn't cheat at all
    • Yes, I cheated but ate healthy foods
    • Yes, I cheated and ate everything in sight
    • Yes, I cheated so bad they cancelled my surgery

I am day 4 of my pre-op diet. The doctor only required 5 days but I saw how many others have had success with two weeks that I decided to give it a go. I have lost a total of 9 lbs since I started 4 days ago and haven't cheated. I have tried to be "creative" with my liquids, so I don't get bored. I cut sodas out on 8/1/09 and lost 4 lbs by doing that for a grand total of 13 lbs and I can already feel the difference. Twnkl2os, don't beat yourself up though, Just try to stay on the diet for the rest of the time and you will do fine. Good luck to all.

My doc only requires 3 days of Clear Liquids...But I decided to do 2 weeks on a diet similar to the ones many here have: 2 Protein shakes, low cal Soup 1x per day, 1 Protein snack under 100 cals, and one small meal with veggies (like Lean Cuisine). The cals are around 1000.

So far I have been doing this for 2 whole days :mellow: and have lost 4 lbs and 1 inch in my waist. So glad I decided to take the plunge - I want to get a running start!

Thanks to all who shared their pre-op diets, it gave me some good ideas. :blink:

I did cheat a little, but to me was all healthy since high Protein.

I was on the 2 week Optifast diet. I did a slice of cheese a few days. Some hard boiled eggs, just the whites though no yolk, few bites of meat. (One or two at most)

The worst night of cheating for me was the night before surgery. Hubby wanted to reward me and I was to weak to say no...I did an omlette with sausage and cheese, veggies & had hash browns. It was so good and what I needed. Afterward I was so worried my surgery may be canceled because of it, but went off with out a problem.

My surgeon knows how hard it is to go all liquid pre op and allows room for some additional calories. So yes I cheated the last night, I did not have my final two Optifast drinks for the evening.

Now Post op so far I am not hungry at all. Can barely drink. I know this will change as I heal. But I am loving this right now.

:)

I have done well but the whole thing frustrates me. What is a pre-op diet anyway. Some surgeons require no diet, some require 2 weeks some one week, some low Protein Clear Liquids, some high Protein foods some all liquids. It is clear there is not a consensus as to what the optimum diet is for the liver. I started a modified version on the 2nd and I have lost 13 pounds. I did have a 0 calorie pickle along the way. I just can't figure out why they are so vastly different and what the end results are. I am curious as to how many operations are aborted due to a thick liver. My guess is a low number but I have no idea. That being said I am going to continue to follow the diet laid out to me by my DR. sorry for the grumpiness but I am starving.

Greg

It was very important for me that my liver was in perfect shape for my surgery. My doctor showed us pictures of the liver of a patient he had to close up. It wasn't pretty. It was bruised and bleeding just touching it. He said if he had lifted it, it would have torn into. That's all it took for me to stick to my diet to the letter!

That just helped me no thanks!!!!!:laugh:

I cheated twice pre-op, once for pizza and once for a cheeseburger.... and boy oh boy did I get a lecture post surgery. Apparently my liver was fatty, really fatty.. so much so that the nurses were trying to convince the surgeon to cancel surgery. He didn't and I am grateful! Stick to it, your surgeon may not be so forgiving!

I have been on my diet for 2 days and so far I have stuck to it. I took a few bites of my baby's hambuger helper though, but that's about it. My head is hurting but i will get through it and I will not cheat.

I am on a liquid diet for 2 weeks. I can only have 3-4 medifast shakes per day. This has been really tough, and I have cheated. I have surgery this Friday, and have not made it 2 whole days without cheating. After reading your posts, and becoming scared ^hitless, I'm going to at least stick to the diet for these last 5 days. I'm including today, because i didn't cheat today. Lord, please give me strength to battle this addiction I have with food.< /p>

I cheated my first few days. Halloween included. Then guilt set in and I read about cheating and felt better because most doctors don't require the pre-op diet.

Then I read about ketosis and how important it is to stay below 30g of carbs and how not doing that gets you out of ketosis and that was enough for me to stick to it. I don't want to keep getting headaches from not eating so for me it's just easier to stay in ketosis. I also don't feel hungry when I avoid sugar and carbs so that helps...and it's good practice. I gained alot of weight the 2 weeks prior to pre-op because of the "last meal" mentality.

Now when I feel hunger or feel like I want to eat something bad I exercise. When I quit smoking I countered it with exercise and that helped so much.

I paid $16,000 out of my own pocket for this surgery...I can't afford to screw it up.

I am on day 9 of the liquid diet .. 3-4 protien shakes a day and the option of 1 glass of coffee/tea, 1 cup broth, or sugar free Jello -- i have done really good on this until today and thankfully i didn't cheat - i actually have been doing alot of cooking and was surprised how it didn't appeal to me to have a bite -- today came close but only out of boredom -- that down time for chilling -- tomorrow is clear liquids and a bowel prep ---- yaaa :wink2: but it will be worth it !

My attitude is .. if you cheat - get back on the band wagon and start being strict again --- you don't need others yelling at you because hopefully you will have enough guilt on your own --- this is your like, your challenge , your body .... You Can Do It :tongue2:

I cheated just a little. I had half of a home made steak fry. I just couldn't finish it, I took a bite and I threw the other half to the dog. I was around company who decided to grill steak and make steak fries while I ate vegetable puree Soup. I wasn't strong enough, but I'm happy to say that I started the diet a full 2 days early. I have 2 full days of this diet left before surgery on Wednesday morning.

The pre-op diet is designed to shrink your liver which processes fat and carbs. I had 3 Optifast a day and 3 bowls of the Heart Diet cabbage Soup with concentrated mint sauce to add a 'yum factor'. Checked it was ok with my surgeon first. I got through 6 x 6 litre crock pots of it in 2 weeks!! No hunger. Easy peasy, shrunk my liver a treat with no side effects apart from feeling now squeemish when I see cabbage or celery!!

Every once an a while I get so nausious I need a cracker, so I eat a few so I dont throw up. I am just going into the 2nd week of my liquid diet.< /p>

Wow i dont know what to think I was doing good . my 1st week i did the diet really good beside 1 day of i ate 3 bowls of Soup thinking it's liquid but then. i got back on it good . and found out that i had lost 30lb in the 1st week !!! i was so happy :wink2:!!! so then i start thinking that this had to be good . so i eat one of my favorite meals, thinking i wont be able to eat like this for a while. so i eat some fried chicken, then went to a friend house to go work out . then his wife feed me, the next day i had a few tacoes:wink2:. now i'm scared :crying:i have my opt in 3 days i'm going to do this to the letter now . i was thinking . that some doc didn't make other do it . so i was doing so well that it would be ok . but now not so sure now . i'll let ya'll now if they let me have the opt .

Can someone explain why some do the liquid pre-op compared to the Atkin's pre-op? I understand its for the same purpose, for the liver but why do some people get to eat and some don't?

I've been on the Atkin's for the past 2 weeks, have I lost weight? Not sure since I don't have a scale and I had my moment on Friday and ate 3 Cookies. Other than that, I've been real good.

I just wonder...