Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, @NanaNette! I know how you feel on wishing you'd started this journey sooner. I think a lot of us do. But I hope you know you're awesome for making this big choice for your health! Praying for your preparations and surgery to go well!

Hi, @WanderingLass! Thanks for sharing the ups and downs with us. I'm glad you have the support of someone close to you; that can be such a game changer. I bet hat the long, winding journey it took for you to schedule the surgery has made you stronger and better prepared to really use this tool well for your health!

Hi, @Mpumi! Yes, I feel you on thinking about surgery for years before finally acting on it. You got this!

Hi, @FifiLux! Thanks for sharing with us!

I was going to say something about July 4th being an easy date to remember, but then I saw your location is Europe, so you don't have the Independence Day association we Americans do. 🙂

Kudos on taking the initiative to give up alcohol before surgery! I know that can be such a big change because it's not just to your diet but to how you spend your down time or hang out with friends. But you got this! You'll be thankful you made that change now when there are so many other changes to make after surgery.

Knee surgery is a huge why to keep at the forefront on this journey. Losing weight can unlock so many other health improvements.

I'm surprised you have no pre-op guidelines from your provider. As some others have mentioned here, a big reason for a liquid diet is to shrink your liver to make it easier for the surgeon to access your stomach. I just heard a story from one of the co-hosts of the Our Sleeved Life podcast who said her surgeon took her liver out temporarily and that caused her more pain during recovery than her friend whose surgeon worked around her liver. So you might want to ask your surgeon if s/he will take your liver out and if it's possible to prevent that

On 6/20/2023 at 9:05 PM, DeeLCee said:

I am scheduled for the sleeve on July 19. I'm having trouble deciding how much of my current wardrobe I should start giving away. I feel "buyer's remorse" because of all the money I've spent on clothes. Does anyone else feel this way?

Hi @DeeLCee! Congrats on a July surgery! I understand the buyer's remorse and think it's ok to be sad about it. I agree with what some others have said that you can take time and decide what to keep or give away as you lose weight. I sometimes shop at secondhand stores like Goodwill and St. Vincent de Paul, and the plus size sections are often small. So whenever I donate something, I think of a woman like me who will be grateful to find something both affordable and comfortable to add to her work or going out wardrobe.

On 6/21/2023 at 10:12 AM, RedE2goAimee said:

Hi all! My VSG is scheduled for July 20th. I can’t believe it is already less than a month away! I am excited and nervous.

I’m a planner and in healthcare. So, when I started considering the surgery, I watched a ton of vlogs and read a lot of research articles. 😂 My good friend had the VSG a few years ago and answered all my questions.

I’ve been more aware of what/when/how I’m eating and have lost weight since officially starting the process in March. I almost completely eliminated alcohol and caffeinate in March so it wouldn’t be too much all at one time. I think that has had the biggest impact on how I feel. Not that I’m an alcoholic, but I’m definitely a caffeinaholic!

I sleep so much better because the changes I’ve made have reduced my GERD. I am excited for the changes to come! I find my clothes are loose and I have more energy too!

I have 2 friends, my husband, my kids, my mom, and my sister as my support system. My job just knows I’m having surgery. They don’t know the details.

I start my liquid diet on July 10 while I’m on vacation! I could have made it later, but I’m just ready to start my new life ASAP!

Hi, @RedE2goAimee! Thanks for sharing!

I'm with you on watching vlogs and reading articles, and having a good friend to answer questions. I'm of the "no such thing as too much information" mindset 🙂

Kudos on eliminating caffeine and alcohol! I started off caffeine when I started my 4-week pre-op diet plan last week and the headaches have been mild but constant. But I know it's for my health, so I can bear it.

Yay for better sleep!

Wow, a liquid diet on vacation, that's setting the bar high for yourself! But you can do it! You'll have many more vacations in the future because of this health decision, right?

On 6/21/2023 at 6:53 AM, Mpumi said:

I like my clothes and am still holding on. I’ve lost weight before on diet so part of me still has that memory of giving stuff away only to buy bigger sizes again later when I regained my weight. But I know this will be different. I’m most looking forward to buying bras in a normal shop. I currently have to buy them online and they’re very expensive.

I am the same.

I lost of lot of weight 7 years ago and gave all clothes away or threw out then 5 years later I was buying the larger stuff all over again. That is partly why this time I am going the surgery route, for long term stability.

I have a wardrobe full of stuff that I rarely wear and in all different sizes so I think I have enough things to keep me going the first few months of weight loss and then I can't wait to donate/sell/throw away and start to build a better wardrobe.

I have made a list of a few things I will treat myself to such as a nice Bracelet because currently I consider my wrists too fat to wear one, a nice designer belt because I hope to be able to wear a tucked in top that will show a waist instead of now all my floaty style tops. My dream one day would be able to fit my calves into a pair of boots but I am not sure that will ever be possible as didn't manage it before when I lost so much weight as they are sooooo fat that even the speciality ones don't fit.

19 hours ago, LibrarianErin said:

Hi, @FifiLux! Thanks for sharing with us!

I was going to say something about July 4th being an easy date to remember, but then I saw your location is Europe, so you don't have the Independence Day association we Americans do. 🙂

Kudos on taking the initiative to give up alcohol before surgery! I know that can be such a big change because it's not just to your diet but to how you spend your down time or hang out with friends. But you got this! You'll be thankful you made that change now when there are so many other changes to make after surgery.

Knee surgery is a huge why to keep at the forefront on this journey. Losing weight can unlock so many other health improvements.

I'm surprised you have no pre-op guidelines from your provider. As some others have mentioned here, a big reason for a liquid diet is to shrink your liver to make it easier for the surgeon to access your stomach. I just heard a story from one of the co-hosts of the Our Sleeved Life podcast who said her surgeon took her liver out temporarily and that caused her more pain during recovery than her friend whose surgeon worked around her liver. So you might want to ask your surgeon if s/he will take your liver out and if it's possible to prevent that

Hi @LibrarianErin I work for an American company and have some US based family and friends so I am well aware of the 4th July. I told my boos (American) that I was having my own freedom day on the 4th :)

I had my pre-op consultation yesterday at the hospital with the anesthetist and floor nurse. Lots of questions for me, an EGC and blood test. I asked if there was anything to do in advance food and drink wise and they said no, just fasting from the night before when I arrive to the hospital. When I said I had given up alcohol three weeks ago they said that was a "good idea" and when I then said that as of the start of this week I had switched to Decaf they asked me why I would do that, there was no need!! I explained I had read online a lot where it said not to have caffeine before or after surgery, the nurse laughed and said one of the things they give as a liquid after the op is a coffee.

I didn't even tell them that I had started my own version of a liquid diet for the two weeks lead up. Protein Shake for Breakfast and one for lunch or dinner and then a meal for the other. I am trying to reduce my portion sizes and eat slower but it is really hard. I think that is what I worry about most, being able to slow down and be more mindful.

I also love to drink - Water, coffee, alcohol etc. - and not sure how I will cope with tiny sips. It is very hot here, in mid to high 80s which is too much for me and I am gulping back the water non-stop.

What I didn't like to hear was that I have to shave from under my breasts to top of my things including pubic area. I am not sure I have seen there in years or can easily reach down there :) The pain of surgery might be one thing but the pain of regrowth elsewhere could be worse for longer, not looking forward to that.

it’s actually so interesting to read about everyone’s different experiences and what different surgeons require before/after surgery. @FifiLux im july 3rd! we’re practically going through it together 😊

also i never heard about having to shave?! did anyone else have to do that?? i was just given pre surgery ensure to drink and surgical soap to wash the abdomen night before and morning of surgery

1 hour ago, NYCxCoco said:

it’s actually so interesting to read about everyone’s different experiences and what different surgeons require before/after surgery. @FifiLux im july 3rd! we’re practically going through it together 😊

also i never heard about having to shave?! did anyone else have to do that?? i was just given pre surgery ensure to drink and surgical soap to wash the abdomen night before and morning of surgery

I have to bring an isotonic drink with me but then they also have it in the hospital if I don't (yes, confused.com) and I have to shave the day before, wash with a surgical soap the day before at home and bring it with me for the morning of op. Just in case I was in any doubt, as I did question it, it was highlighted for me in the guide I was given yesterday 😂 The guides packing list also says I have to bring my own towels, I mean I know I am not going on a 4* holiday but I didn't think I needed to pack my own towels.

I had my gall bladder removed a number of years ago and none of this shaving or scrubbing malarky.

20230623_161706.jpg

On 6/22/2023 at 5:56 PM, LibrarianErin said:

Hi, @RedE2goAimee! Thanks for sharing!

I'm with you on watching vlogs and reading articles, and having a good friend to answer questions. I'm of the "no such thing as too much information" mindset 🙂

Kudos on eliminating caffeine and alcohol! I started off caffeine when I started my 4-week pre-op diet plan last week and the headaches have been mild but constant. But I know it's for my health, so I can bear it.

Yay for better sleep!

Wow, a liquid diet on vacation, that's setting the bar high for yourself! But you can do it! You'll have many more vacations in the future because of this health decision, right?

Erin,

I’m glad I’m not the only one reading and watching everything!

I said almost😂. Nearly every drink I used to have included caffeine. The headaches were awful, so I knew I needed to wean myself.

I’ll let you know how the vacation liquid diet goes. 😬 I can only imagine how the next vacation will be post surgery.

thanks for the support!

5 hours ago, MrsHank1006 said:

I’m scheduled to have the gastric sleeve on 7/20. I start the liquid diet on 7/10. I’m really excited and scared at the same time.

We literally have the same plan! We’ll have to stick together. ☺️