Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 5/23/2023 at 6:02 PM, Jamie72 said:

Hi,

I got my date for vsg last week, July 31st.

Completed all my pre-op requirements and got insurance approval, just waiting for my appointment in mid-July to see what my pre-surgery diet will be.

I'm excited but also nervous. I've gone back and forth on the surgery vs. trying those new weight loss drugs but i really feel that the vsg is the best long term solution for hopefully getting the weight off and keeping it off. Looking forward to stopping the dieting merry-go-round I've been on for 30 years.

I've told my Mom and one friend at work and both have been supportive. Don't think I'll really be sharing it with anyone else.

I've been getting support and some really good information on the /gastricsleeve reddit (i'm a Reddit junkie) and watching youtube videos of other people's journey's.

Hi @Jamie72!

Thanks for sharing! I understand about going back and forth about surgery. I opted against the new drugs because they're in such short supply and I don't want to be dependent on the drug supply chain to keep my weight off. Surgery seems like the option that gives me the most control of my success. I didn't think about Reddit, but I agree youtube has videos that help.

On 5/26/2023 at 8:29 AM, Aliakathleen said:

Hi! Totally new here today. I am both excited and nervous.
I found out yesterday that my surgery was approved! I have a July 20th surgery date.

Hi @Aliakathleen

Congrats on the approval!

On 06/01/2023 at 09:12, LibrarianErin said:

Hi! That's exciting you got approval! I'm so happy it's June so I can say, "My surgery is next month."

Right hahaha like wow it’s almost unbelievable saying it lol

7 hours ago, LibrarianErin said:

Hi, Adelie! Congrats on getting a date! Please don't panic - you can get ready! There's a lot of really good information on this site. I've been setting aside an hour or two each week, so just 15 minutes here and there, to read discussions here and the info my provider gave me. Do you have to do a liquid diet before the operation? That does sound difficult, but not impossible!

Thanks for the encouragement. I have been reading a lot on here. Yes I have to do a 2 week liquid diet. So it wills tart July 3rd. That has me worried the most since I have a physically demanding job. I am not sure how I am going to make it through the day with so few calories. I am going to talk to my nutritionist about it next time we meet.

Hi! Mine is in June and accidentally read the topic wrong. LOL! I'm from Ohio too!

Hi I’m new and having gs in July or August. Does anyone know what Vitamins are best and if they offer a bundle deal ? I’m worried about nausea when taking them. I have to have an endoscopy and two more doctors appointments before he can schedule my appointment but we’re looking towards July or beginning of August. Good luck to everyone and nice to meet you. Any information that you think is helpful. Please message me.

New to posting (my first post actually) but i’ve been following everyones journeys and i’m so excited to finally start my own! My original date was June 26 then changed to July 3rd 🎆

@LibrarianErin congrats to you on the start of your journey thanks for starting this post 😊 we’re all in this together

I’ve been very stressed through all the hiccups i’ve had during the process especially the insurance process since mine was delayed for no reason but now that i have my approval and surgery date i feel a lot more calm and ready !

My process started in March when i met with my surgeon and dietician and it flew by. had my pre op appointment a week ago and my pre testing is monday 😱

I’m so excited to gain energy and confidence in myself. i’ve tried every diet possible and it’s always been a struggle in my life and only got worse as i got older with my PCOS.

i am keeping who i tell in a small bubble. my parents, siblings and best friend (who got the surgery about 18 months ago ) for now. i want to keep away as much negative energy as i can with everyone being a critic i just don’t want to hear it lol. once it’s done im sure i’ll change my mind.

what’s everyone doing about their job? what did you tell them, what did you say? how much time off do you get?

Hi hi, am also due for the surgery in July - date 17 July 2023. I am excited, scared, overwhelmed, i feel anxious at times - should i buy this or that…. And trying to stop myself from buying things… i found Facebook and instagram stories quite helpful, provided real tone to whats about to happen.

6 hours ago, AnneDarova said:

Hi hi, am also due for the surgery in July - date 17 July 2023. I am excited, scared, overwhelmed, i feel anxious at times - should i buy this or that…. And trying to stop myself from buying things… i found Facebook and instagram stories quite helpful, provided real tone to whats about to happen.

i feel the exact same way so many emotions at once

Hi! I'm scheduled for a sleeve on July 27th. I appreciate learning from all of you. :)

On 6/1/2023 at 5:03 PM, adelie21 said:

Thanks for the encouragement. I have been reading a lot on here. Yes I have to do a 2 week liquid diet. So it wills tart July 3rd. That has me worried the most since I have a physically demanding job. I am not sure how I am going to make it through the day with so few calories. I am going to talk to my nutritionist about it next time we meet.

Did the nutritionist give you any more guidance, @adelie21? How is the liquid diet going 10 days in?

On 6/1/2023 at 10:26 PM, Turch said:

Hi! Mine is in June and accidentally read the topic wrong. LOL! I'm from Ohio too!

Hi, fellow Ohioan @Turch! How did your surgery go? How are you doing now? Us July folks could benefit from your story :)

On 6/4/2023 at 7:49 PM, Vlynn57 said:

Hi I’m new and having gs in July or August. Does anyone know what Vitamins are best and if they offer a bundle deal ? I’m worried about nausea when taking them. I have to have an endoscopy and two more doctors appointments before he can schedule my appointment but we’re looking towards July or beginning of August. Good luck to everyone and nice to meet you. Any information that you think is helpful. Please message me.

Hi, @Vlynn57! (I'm sorry it took me so long to respond.) I've listened to a few episodes of the podcast "Our Sleeved Life" which is hosted by two women who are several years out from vsg surgery. They recommend a Vitamin company called procare: https://procarenow.com/. I got a free sample of several items but haven't tried them yet.

On 6/8/2023 at 7:28 AM, NYCxCoco said:

New to posting (my first post actually) but i’ve been following everyones journeys and i’m so excited to finally start my own! My original date was June 26 then changed to July 3rd 🎆

@LibrarianErin congrats to you on the start of your journey thanks for starting this post 😊 we’re all in this together

I’ve been very stressed through all the hiccups i’ve had during the process especially the insurance process since mine was delayed for no reason but now that i have my approval and surgery date i feel a lot more calm and ready !

My process started in March when i met with my surgeon and dietician and it flew by. had my pre op appointment a week ago and my pre testing is monday 😱

I’m so excited to gain energy and confidence in myself. i’ve tried every diet possible and it’s always been a struggle in my life and only got worse as i got older with my PCOS.

i am keeping who i tell in a small bubble. my parents, siblings and best friend (who got the surgery about 18 months ago ) for now. i want to keep away as much negative energy as i can with everyone being a critic i just don’t want to hear it lol. once it’s done im sure i’ll change my mind.

what’s everyone doing about their job? what did you tell them, what did you say? how much time off do you get?

Hi, @NYCxCoco!

I understand the stress of insurance and rescheduling and testing. You're strong for sticking with it through all that! I also had my first meeting with my surgeon and dietician in March and feel like it's been a looooong time.

Yes, I'm with you on being excited to have more energy! That's a great "why" to keep at the forefront of my mind.

I'm grateful to have a very supportive manager at the library where I work and to work for a company that honors FMLA. I just told my manager I was having surgery and would need 4 weeks off for recovery. She didn't ask what kind; she's very respectful of privacy. She told me which person in human resources to contact about FMLA leave. I emailed the HR person and she sent me the paperwork, some of which I filled out and some of which my surgery provider filled out. I went with 4 weeks because that's the higher end of the recovery period, and I have plenty of sick and PTO time to cover it. I figure if everything goes super well and I feel good to return to work after 2 or 3 weeks, then I'll give my manager the good news of an early return; which is better than saying I'll need 3 weeks then having to push it back to 4. Hope this helps!

How did yesterday's testing go?

Edited by LibrarianErin

Hi 👋 my surgery is scheduled for July 7th. I am anxious to get it over with and start the healing process. I'm 55 and wish I would have done this years ago. I have struggled with my weight all my life and have tried too many diets to count. Praying this works for me.