Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 hours ago, NanaNette said:

Hi 👋 my surgery is scheduled for July 7th. I am anxious to get it over with and start the healing process. I'm 55 and wish I would have done this years ago. I have struggled with my weight all my life and have tried too many diets to count. Praying this works for me.

Hi NanaNette. I'm 62, and I feel the same. Lots of prayers here as well. My surgery is July 27th. It's nice to connect! Are you getting the sleeve or gastric bypass (or other)?

Edited by Midwest Grateful

2 hours ago, NanaNette said:

The sleeve. 🤞🙏 God will get us through this!

He will! I wouldn't want to do this without him. I'm getting the sleeve as well. Let's stay connected. Please feel free to reach out anytime. 💟

On 5/12/2023 at 5:38 AM, LibrarianErin said:

I’m actually excited about having a regimented diet. I love following a food plan; it’s creating the food plan that is hard for me. I’m terrible at making time to plan meals and shop for the food and prepare the food. I’m excited to have a smaller stomach so I can cook something like a crockpot of shredded chicken, portion it out, and warm it up for lunch every week day. (And not binge eat it all in 2 meals.)

Hello! Complete newbie here! I started my journey in earnest a bit over a year but had actually been researching my surgery center in 2015, 3 years before moved to the Pacific Northwest from Ohio. I got the OK from my doctor May 2022 but the center they referred me to ended up being out of network. After a few months of putzing around, I reached out to the one I wanted and it turned out they're in network! I started the 6 month required process and got the call today to schedule! I'll be going in July 11th!

I'm excited. I've seen what my life could be like if I don't do this. I know what I've missed out on. My 30 year old son has never seen me healthy. He missed out on a lot because of me.

LibrarianErin said it best: I love following a food plan; it’s creating the food plan that is hard for me. I’m terrible at making time to plan meals and shop for the food and prepare the food.

This surgery is the most important tool to start the journey. Learning how to eat again is the 2nd most. I'm thankful for a supportive husband who is learning with me.

On 5/22/2023 at 10:06 PM, Islandgirl29 said:

Hi @LibrarianErin and friends,

Im scheduled for July 5th for vsg.

How are you? I’m excited more than anything that I have a surgery date and that I’m taking control of my eating habits

How's your process going? I still need my pre-op clearance from my primary physician but I’ve completed the nutritional consultations, mental health evaluation and other requirements.

What are you excited about for the future? I’m excited to finally take control of my eating habits after over 20 years of yo-yo dieting and falling into unhelpful eating patterns.

What are you enjoying now? I’m enjoying following other women’s vsg journey’s on social media and getting all the information I can.

How are you talking about the upcoming surgery with family and friends? I was on the fence about sharing my decision with friends and family but I do not regret sharing with those I did, even though 1 person didn’t agree, but they’ve some-what come around. I told my husband (of course), my 3 sisters, 1 of my brothers, my mom and 1 of my best friends and the girl who does my wax🤣 I think I will be more comfortable sharing after the procedure. I don’t want negative vibes prior to the surgery.

What supports have been helpful to you? The most helpful supports have been my therapist and family. They know I’m making this decision for my well-being and it was not a decision that I’ve taken lightly. Seeing and hearing about other people’s journeys has also been helpful so I have a realistic idea of what to expect.

Congrats on date, my bypass is also scheduled for 7/5. I go tomorrow to sign my consent and the 26th for preop testing.

Hi All,

New to this forum. My surgery date is 17 July. Nervous and excited. Also scared but ready to move on from obesity. I know it won’t be easy but I’ve thought about this for years and have support of my loved ones. Hoping for the best.

3 hours ago, Mpumi said:

Hi All,

New to this forum. My surgery date is 17 July. Nervous and excited. Also scared but ready to move on from obesity. I know it won’t be easy but I’ve thought about this for years and have support of my loved ones. Hoping for the best.

Hi Mpumi... Welcome! So fortunate to have great support. All the best to you!

Hi all,

New to the forum and have been feeling a bit overwhelmed at times with all the info I found on my google searches :) I get sleeve surgery on July 4th! I am equal parts excited for the new journey and scared for what is ahead.

I have yo-yo'd for years and like other posters here I like to follow a food plan but do wish others would give it to me rather than the handout I got from the hospital with a sample of a one liquid Soup recipe and a list of food groups. I do well with lists and instructions (yes, I am a bit of a control freak) so it is the unknown that freaks me out the most. I have tried to do some food prep but find it all a bit overwhelming.

For who I have told, it has just been my Mum (though I presume she told me Dad :)), my two sisters, my boss (to discuss time off work) and three friends. I don't want to say it at work in advance but figure I will have to say it when I get back to the office after a month off 'sick'. Also my new eating and drinking habits will be noticeable in a small office.

The clinic here that I go to haven't given me any pre-op advice on cutting down on foods in advance so I decided as of June 1st to give up alcohol for the month in advance so it is not too much of shock post-op. I am not an alcoholic but I do love a glass of wine (or 2) in the evening or a cocktail (or 4) on an evening out and a lot of my social life revolves around drinking with colleagues & friends so I think going forward that may be hard. I am trying my best to make healthy choices for food in the run up to the op, but again as a control freak, I would have preferred that the clinic gave me strict instructions to follow in the lead up to surgery.

I know my faults (when it comes to food ;)) are that a lot of the time I eat too quickly, without even noticing, and I eat too much and often don't know/realise I am full so I am really hoping I find the transition to slow and mindful eating goes smoothly.

For me, my weight has caused considerable knee pain and starting to cause ankle pain but then it is a vicious circle as they are too sore to do much to help me loose weight. I am hoping the op will make it easier on my knees to walk comfortably and eventually take up exercise. I know I need a knee replacement but the ortho surgeon said my knees were too fat for him to be comfortable in carrying out a successful op so that is my longer goal, as well as weight loss and being health to have bionic knees :)

1 hour ago, FifiLux said:

New to the forum and have been feeling a bit overwhelmed at times with all the info I found on my google searches :) I get sleeve surgery on July 4th! I am equal parts excited for the new journey and scared for what is ahead.

Welcome, @FifiLux! Thanks for sharing. I'm sure many of us can relate to your story. I know I can. I totally agree that google searches get a bit scary and confusing. I find Facebook groups (I've tried two) to also be less than optimal. I'm new also, and I've found that this group has been friendly, responsible with reliable info, and generous with sharing. So helpful! I hope you'll find it the same.

Also, I think many places require a two week pre-op liquid diet, but I would check with your program or surgeon's office. I'm getting my surgery from a large clinic in the midwest. I was told to follow this diet as a liver cleanse (I have liver disease and they're doing a biopsy). But this diet seems customary for many. Your surgery is coming sooner than mine (July 27th). All the best!

Thanks @Midwest Grateful

I contacted my clinic earlier to ask if I should be cutting anything out between now and op so waiting to hear back. I did intend myself to try and replace at least two of my three meals a day with liquids for the two weeks prior so I have plenty of fruit and veg to make juices and Soups.

6 minutes ago, FifiLux said:

Thanks @Midwest Grateful

I contacted my clinic earlier to ask if I should be cutting anything out between now and op so waiting to hear back. I did intend myself to try and replace at least two of my three meals a day with liquids for the two weeks prior so I have plenty of fruit and veg to make juices and Soups.

i’m on a 2 week pre op liquid diet which is 3 Protein Shakes a day and one small meal of 1 Protein and 1 veggie for lunch or dinner

@FifiLux, you're most welcome!
July is our month! Looking forward to comparing notes on how well we all do. Have a beautiful day! ☀️

On 6/17/2023 at 9:00 PM, NYCxCoco said:

i’m on a 2 week pre op liquid diet which is 3 Protein Shakes a day and one small meal of 1 Protein and 1 veggie for lunch or dinner

Thanks for sharing.

I haven't heard back yet from the clinic but I have decided to do similar; shake for Breakfast and lunch and then a sensible evening meal.

5 hours ago, FifiLux said:

Thanks for sharing.

I haven't heard back yet from the clinic but I have decided to do similar; shake for Breakfast and lunch and then a sensible evening meal.

@FifiLuxand @NYCxCoco, I'm envious you're able to eat anything during these two weeks. I'm not starting my liquid diet for another 3 weeks, but there's no eating on my plan. I'm wondering if that's because I'm getting a liver biopsy during my sleeve surgery - they mentioned the liquid diet is for a liver cleanse. Or are all these two-week liquid (mostly) diets a liver cleanse for everyone? Not sure. Looking forward to your updates. I know you'll do great! I'm a few weeks behind you.

Hi all I’m new and surgery date not set yet but he is saying end of July beginning of August, my concern is the Vitamins , does anyone know which ones are good for not getting nauseous? Also , what about pill form medications we are on now. How do we continue taking them once we’re on liquid diet only ? Any info will be helpful! Nice to meet everyone.