Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September surgery buddies!!

5 minutes ago, Garfield1987 said:

Right nothing in throat. At literally base of the tummy- pain and gurgling. I was like is this hunger?? Pain?? Gas?? Im not sure.

This video also made me feel better!

23 hours ago, nymisc said:

I am so happy to see this. I am 12 days out, but I do have that weak dizzy feeling still. I am so happy to see that you are overcoming it. I dislike my calcium citrate pills so much; I will be going with the chewable after I finish the ton I have. Right now, I use the Bariatric Melts for Vitamins.

I got the pills because I was afraid I could not tolerate the chews because presumably they are sweet. I gag with anything sweet. Sadly, I ordered three months worth. I may need to make a trip to the drug store and try different forms.

On 09/22/2022 at 11:46, Giginc said:

Hi,

First of all , am so happy I found this site. I think it will be more than a little helpful!

I am 62 yrs old so anyone my age that is going through or has gone through this I would appreciate any tips you could give. I am looking forward to having energy again and just being able to be healthy. This all started because I have to have my gall bladder removed and they are going to do the Bypass at the same time. I guess I am more nervous about taking all the Vitamins and the liquid portion of the diet. I am finishing up some appointments next week. I am hoping I can do an at home sleep apnea test instead of going in. I still work and wondering about how much time I will need to recover.

I have only told a few close friends and close family but I have'nt told my daughter who is an RN and not a fan of WLS. I am hoping it will not be a difficult conversation.

Thanks again for all the good information! Good luck on your journeys.

My MIL had her bypass surgery in her 60s and that was in 2010. She is doing fabulous and it has definitely added years to her life. Her surgeon is the one who preformed my sleeve surgery earlier this month.
I was approved to be off work for 3 weeks, but I know I could have gone back sooner. I have a desk job. I go back this Wednesday. Make sure you do take the time off you need to heal and to adjust to your new eating schedule. I honestly think getting back to work will help me with that schedule. I know I have had a harder time getting my liquids in.
Good luck. I hope your daughter can be supportive. I just know I am thankful my MIL’s is thriving after her surgery and look forward to the same for myself.
Good luck 😊

Having a day today. My doctor warned me my hormones would change but this is the first time I feel it. My weightloss is starting to slow down, which is completely reasonable. I just hate seeing it. No one should be losing over a pound a day, so you can see how unrealistic I am being. I guess I get scared that I am going to go back to struggling beyond belief to lose weight. I caught myself craving sugar for the first time yesterday and it scared me that I am going to unsuccessful.

11 hours ago, loli_lotus said:

This video also made me feel better!

I watched that after surgery too and it definitely did help for me to understand what is going on.

24 minutes ago, nymisc said:

Having a day today. My doctor warned me my hormones would change but this is the first time I feel it. My weightloss is starting to slow down, which is completely reasonable. I just hate seeing it. No one should be losing over a pound a day, so you can see how unrealistic I am being. I guess I get scared that I am going to go back to struggling beyond belief to lose weight. I caught myself craving sugar for the first time yesterday and it scared me that I am going to unsuccessful.

hey- I think this should be normal. I have to remind myself it hasn’t even been a week since my surgery (9/20) and it’s not a big deal that I’ve “only” lost 2 pounds. But it’s scary. “Did I permanently alter my anatomy for nothing?” I think it’s all normal and this is likely where the psychological aspect of the work begins. I have been writing things down to speak to my therapist about it. I hope you have someone to talk to - if not therapy- so that we don’t sabotage our own progress.

7 hours ago, MotownNixie said:

My MIL had her bypass surgery in her 60s and that was in 2010. She is doing fabulous and it has definitely added years to her life. Her surgeon is the one who preformed my sleeve surgery earlier this month.
I was approved to be off work for 3 weeks, but I know I could have gone back sooner. I have a desk job. I go back this Wednesday. Make sure you do take the time off you need to heal and to adjust to your new eating schedule. I honestly think getting back to work will help me with that schedule. I know I have had a harder time getting my liquids in.
Good luck. I hope your daughter can be supportive. I just know I am thankful my MIL’s is thriving after her surgery and look forward to the same for myself.
Good luck 😊

Thanks so much for your encouragement. I am so glad to hear about your MIL! I am feeling better about it and just ready for it!! I wish you so much success with your surgery ! Take care.

4 hours ago, nymisc said:

You got this. You are doing it. You’ve shared so many resources/feedback for others here and you know how to handle cravings & slow downs. I repeat, you can do this!!!

Coming here because I need some sense knocked into me. Tomorrow is one week since my surgery and I’ve only *gasp* lost 2 pounds. Please tell me this is normal 😭😭😭

1 hour ago, Garfield1987 said:

Coming here because I need some sense knocked into me. Tomorrow is one week since my surgery and I’ve only *gasp* lost 2 pounds. Please tell me this is normal 😭😭😭

I think everything is normal because everyone is different. It could be so many things that effect weight loss. . Just keep following your program and give it more time. Everyone looses at different rates and maybe next week you will have a large loss or maybe you will be slow by steady and still reach your goal. Hugs! Its hard not to have huge losses after going through all of this. But its going to be a long journey so don't stress too much, just keep at it and every little pound will add up.

I am new and My Surgery is on September 29th.

I am new and My Surgery is on September 29th.

My surgery is the 29th too!!! Any tips from anyone who already had the surgery??

53 minutes ago, kellyarw95 said:

My surgery is the 29th too!!! Any tips from anyone who already had the surgery??

Yea. Don’t compare yourself to others, and trust the process. It works!!

1 hour ago, ShoppGirl said:

Yea. Don’t compare yourself to others, and trust the process. It works!!

Totally agree with that especially weight loss and moving through stages of food! But kellyarw95 and NewmeDC, here are a few practical things that I learned:

You will be very, very tired when you get home. I don’t recall nausea (I know for sure I didn’t vomit) but the gas is for real. Walking helps and a heating pad on your back/shoulders. Take it slow and do laps in your house. I didn’t experience too much pain but definitely needed meds for the whole week mainly for the laparoscopic incisions and the largest one has some really deep internal sutures that are painful. Stay hydrated - tiny, tiny sips of Water. You can figure out Protein later but you will 100 legit not be hungry - it’s weird.

Forget it if you are a side sleeper…invest in a back support pillow because you will need it. I’ve also seen that a lot of people lounge/sleep in a recliner…if I had it to do over again I would likely have invested in one. Roll out of bed holding a pillow to your tummy and letting gravity assist. Do not lift heavy things or reach for things overhead/down low. Hope that’s helpful. Good luck!

Edited by JustAMomATX
Replying to multiple people

i’m on day 4 post op, still haven’t figured out what hunger feels like but i think today will be my first day hitting my Fluid and Protein goals.

i will say i’m starting to hate the taste of sweet milks/protein shakes. i’m ordering some flavored powders that i can add to Water so hopefully that will be better

can’t wait to move to purée on friday!