Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September surgery buddies!!

34 minutes ago, TheLosingGame said:

i’m on day 4 post op, still haven’t figured out what hunger feels like but i think today will be my first day hitting my Fluid and Protein goals.

i will say i’m starting to hate the taste of sweet milks/protein shakes. i’m ordering some flavored powders that i can add to Water so hopefully that will be better

can’t wait to move to purée on friday!

I never tried Protein Powder so maybe that will be better but if not try clear Protein Drinks. The sweet got to me immediately post op as well and the Protein Water wasn’t nearly as bad.

I'm wondering if I'm the oddball here?

I keep hearing about all the challenges everyone's having and this almost feels too easy to me. I'm one week post surgery and I've had very little pain and no nausea at all. I'm easily able to get in all my fluids and Protein and then some. I've not developed any aversions to anything, so have been fine with the fairlife Protein Shakes and a bit of Bone Broth to mix it up a bit.

I do have lower energy than I'd like, but that's to be expected as I heal. Evenso, I still have been able to get in 30-40 minutes of walking a day. I think the only sub-optimal thing I've experienced is a few dizzy spells (maybe once a day). I can't tell for sure at this point if it's hypotension, but that's what I suspect. Since it just happens in passing, by the time I check my BP, it's in the normal range, with my diastolic borderline low (60-62).

I'm honestly waiting for the the bomb to drop. If something can go wrong medically, I'm typically the poster child.

Edited by SpartanMaker
grammar

5 minutes ago, SpartanMaker said:

I keep hearing about all the challenges everyone's having and this almost feels too easy to me. I'm one week post surgery and I've had very little pain and no nausea at all. I'm easily able to get in all my fluids and Protein and then some. I've not developed any aversions to anything, so have been fine with the fairlife Protein Shakes and a bit of Bone Broth to mix it up a bit.

I do have lower energy than I'd like, but that's to be expected as I heal. Evenso, still have been able to get in 30-40 minutes of walking a day. I think the only sub-optimal thing I've experienced is a few dizzy spells (maybe once a day). I can't tell for sure at this point if it's hypotension, but that's what I suspect. Since it just happens in passing, by the time I check my BP, it's in the normal range, with my diastolic borderline low (60-62).

I'm honestly waiting for the the bomb to drop. If something can go wrong medically, I'm typically the poster child.

I'm so glad you are doing so well! I too am having an easier than expected time. I am hitting my Water and Protein goals since getting home but I still don't know what full feels like and getting to hit those goals worries me a bit. I can somewhat feel full when drinking my Protein Shake, but it doesn't even feel like anything until I hit around 6 oz. Then I feel pressure but not bad pressure, no nausea, no pain. I am drinking slower on purpose, so my drink will take me like 40 to 60 min to drink, but that's more by choice then by need. I've eaten a 4 oz sugar free pudding in about 5 min and didn't feel anything either until like 40 min later and then I felt pressure. I have my drs appointment tomorrow as my one week check up after my bypass and I'm going to tell him my worries so hopefully I'll have some answers soon. As far as pain, I have been using the belly binder (wrong name) and that has pretty much kept the pain away. I have been able to sleep on my sides and roll over, even when I was in the hospital. Take it off and its a different story though lol. I hope we continue to do well and no bombs drop!

I had my mini sleeve done September 7th!

3 hours ago, Hope4NewMe said:

I'm so glad you are doing so well! I too am having an easier than expected time. I am hitting my Water and Protein goals since getting home but I still don't know what full feels like and getting to hit those goals worries me a bit. I can somewhat feel full when drinking my Protein Shake, but it doesn't even feel like anything until I hit around 6 oz. Then I feel pressure but not bad pressure, no nausea, no pain. I am drinking slower on purpose, so my drink will take me like 40 to 60 min to drink, but that's more by choice then by need. I've eaten a 4 oz sugar free pudding in about 5 min and didn't feel anything either until like 40 min later and then I felt pressure. I have my drs appointment tomorrow as my one week check up after my bypass and I'm going to tell him my worries so hopefully I'll have some answers soon. As far as pain, I have been using the belly binder (wrong name) and that has pretty much kept the pain away. I have been able to sleep on my sides and roll over, even when I was in the hospital. Take it off and its a different story though lol. I hope we continue to do well and no bombs drop!

Glad you're also doing well! (And glad to know I'm not the only one after hearing all the horror stories here.) Please let me know what your doctor says? I don't have a follow-up until 2 weeks after and would be curious to know what they say, as I'm in the same boat in terms of what I can eat. I suspect since it's liquid, it's flowing right out of the pouch into the small intestines, but I'm thinking real food won't do that. Tomorrow is my first day on purees, so have not had a chance to find out yet how anything will feel other than liquids.

2 hours ago, StaceyInTheUSA said:

Welcome! Not that many folks here with the mini-sleeve. Hope it works well for you!

3 hours ago, StaceyInTheUSA said:

I have never heard of a mini sleeve. Welcome

14 hours ago, SpartanMaker said:

Please let me know what your doctor says?

So my dr confirms that because its a liquid that it just flows out and they are actually happy when someone does not have restrictions to liquids because it makes hitting the Water goals so much easier and dehydration is the biggest worry right at 1st. Restrictions should be more with food. He told me to eat slower now that I can have puree (yay!!!) so that maybe I can start feeling the change. He said I'm doing so well that I can progress at my own pace through the next food levels. He recommends at least 1 week of puree and 1 week of soft before getting too adventurous. If at any time I start having issues, just back up a stage and give a few more days. He wants me to still not pick up more than 20 lbs but to get back to a normal schedule and life as soon as possible. 3 weeks from now he expects me to be fully healed, able to eat real food and no restrictions on movements or weight. I almost cried at all of this good news. Just to be able to eat puree sounds amazing and free to me. To think I'll be starting my life with my new normal so soon is just amazing. 1 step and week at a time though. I have my 1st ricotta bake in the oven and I can't wait for it to be done. Today was a great day :)

4 minutes ago, Hope4NewMe said:

So my dr confirms that because its a liquid that it just flows out and they are actually happy when someone does not have restrictions to liquids because it makes hitting the Water goals so much easier and dehydration is the biggest worry right at 1st. Restrictions should be more with food. He told me to eat slower now that I can have puree (yay!!!) so that maybe I can start feeling the change. He said I'm doing so well that I can progress at my own pace through the next food levels. He recommends at least 1 week of puree and 1 week of soft before getting too adventurous. If at any time I start having issues, just back up a stage and give a few more days. He wants me to still not pick up more than 20 lbs but to get back to a normal schedule and life as soon as possible. 3 weeks from now he expects me to be fully healed, able to eat real food and no restrictions on movements or weight. I almost cried at all of this good news. Just to be able to eat puree sounds amazing and free to me. To think I'll be starting my life with my new normal so soon is just amazing. 1 step and week at a time though. I have my 1st ricotta bake in the oven and I can't wait for it to be done. Today was a great day :)

Awesome, congrats!

On 9/26/2022 at 9:46 AM, Garfield1987 said:

Coming here because I need some sense knocked into me. Tomorrow is one week since my surgery and I’ve only *gasp* lost 2 pounds. Please tell me this is normal 😭😭😭

You have a very low starting weight compared to many. Stay in touch with your doctor/nutritionist and see what they say. Track food.

On 9/26/2022 at 8:18 PM, SpartanMaker said:

I do have lower energy than I'd like, but that's to be expected as I heal. Evenso, I still have been able to get in 30-40 minutes of walking a day. I think the only sub-optimal thing I've experienced is a few dizzy spells (maybe once a day). I can't tell for sure at this point if it's hypotension, but that's what I suspect. Since it just happens in passing, by the time I check my BP, it's in the normal range, with my diastolic borderline low (60-62).

I'm not to far off from your situation. Starting 2nd week after surgery. I am off my metformin and blood sugar levels are excellent. I do feel a bit week and had only one slight dizzy spell. Wounds are healing quite well. Tiny bit of bruising. Vitamins and Proteins are easy to consume and tracking everything with 'my fitness' app. I did find it not too much fun at the supermarket today. My old brain wanted buy things I know I will most likely never eat again. But I'm ok with that . I have found that Ido have a tendency to swallow air when I drink fluids and I'm working on slowing right down to a crawl with it. I tilt my head back a bit and swallow. Seems a bit weird but it works for me.

I've had the gastric bypass Sept 19 . I started at 265.5 lbs 2 weeks before surgery and on the day of my surgery I was 250 lbs. I started to track my weight from then and have slowly lost 5.5 lbs in my first week. I do seem to have not lost anything for three days but I do see and feel my body structure changing. I have been mobile more the last few days and I am starting to track that also. Today I walked about 1km and will be adding more distance daily. Maybe will incorporate the treadmill in my buildings exercise room.

I'm glad I found this group and look forward to reading and responding to people questions. I'm sure I will have some and I am happy to answer any I can for others. Thanks. Cheers from Toronto Canada. !!

Starting 2nd week after surgery. I am off my metformin and blood sugar levels are excellent. I do feel a bit week and had only one slight dizzy spell. Wounds are healing quite well. Tiny bit of bruising. Vitamins and Proteins are easy to consume and tracking everything with 'my fitness' app. I did find it not too much fun at the supermarket today. My old brain wanted buy things I know I will most likely never eat again. But I'm ok with that . I have found that Ido have a tendency to swallow air when I drink fluids and I'm working on slowing right down to a crawl with it. I tilt my head back a bit and swallow. Seems a bit weird but it works for me.

I've had the gastric bypass Sept 19 . I started at 265.5 lbs 2 weeks before surgery and on the day of my surgery I was 250 lbs. I started to track my weight from then and have slowly lost 5.5 lbs in my first week. I do seem to have not lost anything for three days but I do see and feel my body structure changing. I have been mobile more the last few days and I am starting to track that also. Today I walked about 1km and will be adding more distance daily. Maybe will incorporate the treadmill in my buildings exercise room.

I'm glad I found this group and look forward to reading and responding to people questions. I'm sure I will have some and I am happy to answer any I can for others. Thanks. Cheers from Toronto Canada. !!

On 09/27/2022 at 23:25, nymisc said:

You have a very low starting weight compared to many. Stay in touch with your doctor/nutritionist and see what they say. Track food.

Thank you. I meet with my doc today. Hopefully he’ll alleviate some of the fears. I do hope it’s all in my head :)

9 hours ago, Leo segovia said:

I've had the gastric bypass Sept 19

That's the day I had my bypass! I'm glad you are doing so well too. Maybe that day was a lucky day. I came home from the hospital weighing 7 lbs more then when I went in, so maybe your body is still just slowly losing the swelling and extra fluids from the surgery itself. You are doing great with the exercise, at least to me. I am barely up to walking half a mile every morning on my treadmill. I'm working on adding more but its slow going atm. Welcome to the group!

4 hours ago, Garfield1987 said:

Thank you. I meet with my doc today. Hopefully he’ll alleviate some of the fears. I do hope it’s all in my head :)

Good luck and keep us posted!