Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September surgery buddies!!

1 hour ago, Hope4NewMe said:

For those who have had the surgery already, what does full feel like? I'm so scared of eating/drinking too much and ruining all this hard work. I'm still taking the pain meds so I don't know if that is masking the signal but I'm not sure what I'm exactly looking for. Before surgery I don't know if I really ever felt full without it being over full. Like thanksgiving stuffed equaled full. I don't want to over stuff myself ever again but its hard to know when to stop.

I don't think I can tell either at this point. I'm attributing that to the fact that the crampy pain I'm feeling is masking any potential hunger feelings. For now I'm just going to stick to my team's plan.

Also, if you're still on liquids like me, I wouldn't worry too much about stretching out your pouch. Most of what we're eating right now flows in, and right back out of the pouch really quickly.

Hi,

First of all , am so happy I found this site. I think it will be more than a little helpful!

I am 62 yrs old so anyone my age that is going through or has gone through this I would appreciate any tips you could give. I am looking forward to having energy again and just being able to be healthy. This all started because I have to have my gall bladder removed and they are going to do the Bypass at the same time. I guess I am more nervous about taking all the Vitamins and the liquid portion of the diet. I am finishing up some appointments next week. I am hoping I can do an at home sleep apnea test instead of going in. I still work and wondering about how much time I will need to recover.

I have only told a few close friends and close family but I have'nt told my daughter who is an RN and not a fan of WLS. I am hoping it will not be a difficult conversation.

Thanks again for all the good information! Good luck on your journeys.

2 hours ago, Hope4NewMe said:

For those who have had the surgery already, what does full feel like? I'm so scared of eating/drinking too much and ruining all this hard work. I'm still taking the pain meds so I don't know if that is masking the signal but I'm not sure what I'm exactly looking for. Before surgery I don't know if I really ever felt full without it being over full. Like thanksgiving stuffed equaled full. I don't want to over stuff myself ever again but its hard to know when to stop.

I have to say for myself.. it’s feels like that exactly that I ate a huge meal and I’m at the point of about to pop . I know I am not overeating because I’m measuring my food but I can’t even finish what I do have in front of me because I do get full … it’s one day at a time and lil by lil I know we will be able to listen to our new stomach :)

I really love salads all kinds . Love the kale salad at chick filet wondering if I’ll ever be able to eat them again .

4 hours ago, Hope4NewMe said:

I agree with what many of the others have said...for me, on day 4 post-op (still on pain meds) I didn’t measure some Soup and after I ate it, I immediately had stomach upset, then nausea and a few hours of crampy diarrhea. I thought it was lactose or too much Protein Powder, but after eliminating those suspects, turns out I was just too full. I went back and measured and I had consumed over 7oz of soup in a swollen pouch that can - at best - hold 2-5oz. Now I know better!! I have been diligent on small, small sips, slowly eating & measuring my liquids/purees/soups and it has never happened again. Hope that helps!

PS. You are not going to ruin anything. Except maybe some clothing or bedding if you don’t make it in time :)

What is the best Protein Shake that does not taste chalky? Also are Celebrate Calcium chewables the best? Been following alexis rodriguezz and she suggested those?

Edited by Giginc

1 hour ago, Giginc said:

Hi,

First of all , am so happy I found this site. I think it will be more than a little helpful!

I am 62 yrs old so anyone my age that is going through or has gone through this I would appreciate any tips you could give. I am looking forward to having energy again and just being able to be healthy. This all started because I have to have my gall bladder removed and they are going to do the Bypass at the same time. I guess I am more nervous about taking all the Vitamins and the liquid portion of the diet. I am finishing up some appointments next week. I am hoping I can do an at home sleep apnea test instead of going in. I still work and wondering about how much time I will need to recover.

I have only told a few close friends and close family but I have'nt told my daughter who is an RN and not a fan of WLS. I am hoping it will not be a difficult conversation.

Thanks again for all the good information! Good luck on your journeys.

Welcome! This site is super helpful. I’m 53 so right there with you! Take the week off of work. Trust me on this. I was foolish and tried to go back on day 5 post op and it was no bueno. Rest, sip tiny sips of Fluid and rest some more.

Post-op eating has not been so bad. Liquid & pureed (currently mine) phases are a definite drag but doable. I bought a sample pack of Celebration brand Vitamins and I’m pleasantly surprised at how easy they are to work into the day. Based on some other posters, Protein20 Water is a real godsend. I like the Coconut flavor over ice.

I’ve told very few people but interestingly enough, it was my doctor that recommended my surgery and two other medical professionals that have championed the decision. Everyone must walk their own path but it can’t be easy having someone special to you not easily on board. Good luck with your conversations, I wish you the very best.

On 09/22/2022 at 07:19, Hope4NewMe said:

Well I am almost 2 weeks post op and full for me is a pain that starts after I take a bite. Not like a searing just like a cramp that moves across my stomach. Or a hiccup!

5 minutes ago, Giginc said:

What is the best Protein Shake that does not taste chalky?

The two brands that i like are Premier Protein and Fairlife. Premier chocolate, Root Beer Float (such a nice treat!) and Chocolate Peanut Butter (recommended by another poster here) are my favorites. I was skeptical of the Chocolate Peanut Butter but it tastes like a Butterfinger - could be trouble :) Fairlife strawberry and Salted Caramel are pretty good. Fairlife has the best vanilla, IMO, as I think that particular flavor almost always tastes chalky to me.

18 minutes ago, JustAMomATX said:

Welcome! This site is super helpful. I’m 53 so right there with you! Take the week off of work. Trust me on this. I was foolish and tried to go back on day 5 post op and it was no bueno. Rest, sip tiny sips of Fluid and rest some more.

Post-op eating has not been so bad. liquid & pureed (currently mine) phases are a definite drag but doable. I bought a sample pack of Celebration brand Vitamins and I’m pleasantly surprised at how easy they are to work into the day. Based on some other posters, Protein20 Water is a real godsend. I like the Coconut flavor over ice.

I’ve told very few people but interestingly enough, it was my doctor that recommended my surgery and two other medical professionals that have championed the decision. Everyone must walk their own path but it can’t be easy having someone special to you not easily on board. Good luck with your conversations, I wish you the very best.

Wow thanks so much for the encouraging words. Yes, I dread the conversation but she needs to respect my decision and ultimately I think she will. Definitely appreciate the recommendations. I wish the best as well :)

5 hours ago, Hope4NewMe said:

Similar to what others said, for me there's kind of a pain, but it's really more a pressure near the top of my stomach and if I take a sip or eat a "bite" after feeling that pressure, I get pain. I unfortunately get it with everything, even Water and thin fairlife shakes make me feel this way and I have to measure out my servings. It's been that way for me almost since the start.

5 hours ago, Hope4NewMe said:

Whoops double post

Edited by loli_lotus

1 hour ago, Giginc said:

What is the best Protein Shake that does not taste chalky? Also are Celebrate Calcium chewables the best? Been following alexis rodriguezz and she suggested those?

I actually made my own. I kept premier around the house, but I found them very heavy after surgery. I will do something like unsweetened vanilla almond milk, PBFit powder, vanilla Protein Powder and sugar free grape jam. I have several different ones. I also drank a lot of Kettle Fire Bone Broth. I went crazy getting three bariatric cookbooks and pinning tons of recipes on pinterest but I feel I was super ready. I started purees yesterday and started with egg salad, no problem. Today I am making a bunch of mini muffin ricotta bakes and going to freeze the ones I don't eat today.

Thank you so much for all the responses on what it feels like to be full! This is such a great group of people. I'm going to try and relax, measure my liquids and trust the process.

2 hours ago, Giginc said:

For premixed Protein Drinks, I'm a fan of Fairlife Nutrition Plan chocolate. Out of the Calcium chewables, I'd rate Celebrate at the top, along with Bariatric Advantage. Bariatric Pal has their own branded ones and those are not bad, just not a good as two above. The worst ones in my opinion are the Pro Care brand. Some people must like them, but I found them to be so bad I threw them away.