Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September surgery buddies!!

Y’all I am 4 days away from purée food stage and eggs are included in that for me. BUT I WANT ONE RIGHT NOW!!!!

1 hour ago, loli_lotus said:

I wouldn't worry to much about it. The first week is usually a bunch of Water weight and other things getting flushed, then your body restores all that and makes it look like you aren't losing anything, but you totally are. Your body is trying to balance itself. I've heard that people who lose on the pre-op diet will have a less dramatic drop after surgery, because your body is already doing the Water cycle thing or something like that.

Also, the lower the number you are, the slower you may lose. I was sleeved 9/6, day of surgery 212.4 and I've only lost about 14lbs, 13 of those were from week 1. My plan still has me in the liquid phase too, and I just introduced creamy Soups, so I know it's not what I'm eating. A little disappointing sure, but I'm not gonna stress about it, I can tell my clothes look bigger on me and my family keeps telling me my face looks thinner, so something is happening.

My progress is very similar as yours. Sleeved on 9/1. I'm a little under 5'2". Started the pre-op diet at 203 and surgery weight was 199. Since surgery date I've lost 14, with 7 of that during the first week. Mine has gone a tad up and down a little which was disappointing. I went up 2 lbs in one day! The day before I had drank Gatorade Protein sugar free drink which had a lot of sodium. Good for 10 grams of protein but not the salt. I am being more careful with that now. Just gotta do what is best for us individually and, as you said, don't stress about it. Best of progress to us all!

3 hours ago, Giginc said:

I was wondering if I can take the Vitamins and meds with applesauce , I know my elderly mom does makes them easier to go down. I need to ask my team about the vitamin patches. How much would you say you spend for Vitamins a month after surgery? Thanks so much for your feedback!

Once you get to later stages, your plan should allow apple sauce. If that helps get the pills down, I'd think it would be fine. My problem isn't that they are hard to swallow, it's that my team wants me to take them one at a time, then wait 10 minutes between pills. I take over 20 pills a day right now.

As to vitamins, it sort of depends on which ones you use. I'm using the ProCare Health one-a-day with Iron right now. It runs about $15 before shipping. There are some that are less expensive and some that are more. You'll also need Calcium supplements, and most folks choose the calcium citrate chews with Vitamin D3. Those run about $30-$35 a month.

3 hours ago, Slwhurst said:

How much has everyone lost so far?? I feel like I am on the low end and maybe not doing something right! I started pre op diet on 8/31 and sleeved on 9/12 and total loss is 26lbs… should it be more???

I would recommend not comparing yourself to others on here. Everyone has different starting weights, different levels of muscle mass, can do different amounts of exercise, have different basal metabolic rates, etc.

26 pounds is a lot! As long as you're following your plan you'll be successful, even if it's slower than you were expecting.

On 9/22/2022 at 8:46 AM, Giginc said:

Hi,

First of all , am so happy I found this site. I think it will be more than a little helpful!

I am 62 yrs old so anyone my age that is going through or has gone through this I would appreciate any tips you could give. I am looking forward to having energy again and just being able to be healthy. This all started because I have to have my gall bladder removed and they are going to do the Bypass at the same time. I guess I am more nervous about taking all the Vitamins and the liquid portion of the diet. I am finishing up some appointments next week. I am hoping I can do an at home sleep apnea test instead of going in. I still work and wondering about how much time I will need to recover.

I have only told a few close friends and close family but I have'nt told my daughter who is an RN and not a fan of WLS. I am hoping it will not be a difficult conversation.

Thanks again for all the good information! Good luck on your journeys.

I had the gastric sleeve and hiatal hernia repair 9/1 and I turned 71 on 9/6. I have had severe on-going gastro problems for 4 years, many tests and many medications tried. We knew what the problems were but nothing we tried helped. I then saw a bariatric/general surgeon that brought it all together for me, thankfully. We knew my stomach was pumping out about 5 times as much acid as it should have. In one year, that had caused ulcers and pyloric deformity, and I also developed a hiatal hernia. I had such bad diarrhea and vomiting I was afraid to leave my house at times. Since I have had the surgery all of that is gone! It is totally amazing! Also, I have been on blood pressure meds for quite a while, my cardiologist says with a few months I will probably be completely off those.

I'm not going to tell you if you should do this or not, I will say it has made a huge improvement for me. I went to the surgeon to lost weight for sure but got so much more out of it. Best to you!

1 hour ago, Slwhurst said:

Y’all I am 4 days away from purée food stage and eggs are included in that for me. BUT I WANT ONE RIGHT NOW!!!!

I started pureed 2 days ago. I have never been so excited to have egg salad and cream of wheat. Everything has gone well.

On 09/23/2022 at 14:29, nymisc said:

I started pureed 2 days ago. I have never been so excited to have egg salad and cream of wheat. Everything has gone well.

I have been debating all day on how bad it would be to go ahead and eat one

4 hours ago, Slwhurst said:

How much has everyone lost so far?? I feel like I am on the low end and maybe not doing something right! I started pre op diet on 8/31 and sleeved on 9/12 and total loss is 26lbs… should it be more???

If you lost 26 pounds since 8/31 that is great. We are all going to lose weight very differently because of our height and starting sizes. Also, I didn't have a pre-op diet. They had me doing South Beach. I have lost 18 lbs. since surgery but I think I am losing too fast because I am very lethargic. Also, I noticed it is starting to slow down. I am just grateful for every pound lost and will keep plugging away.

Edited by nymisc
mistake

On 09/23/2022 at 14:33, nymisc said:

If you lost 26 pounds since 9/12 that is great. We are all going to lose weight very differently because of our height and starting sizes. Also, I didn't have a pre-op diet. They had me doing South Beach. I have lost 18 lbs. since surgery but I think I am losing too fast because I am very lethargic. Also, I noticed it is starting to slow down. I am just grateful for every pound lost and will keep plugging away.

The 26 lbs is actually from 8/31 only 13 lbs since 9/12

Just now, Slwhurst said:

The 26 lbs is actually from 8/31 only 13 lbs since 9/12

That is still amazing. When have we ever been able to lose 13 pounds in 11 days? I did hear that there is a common three-week stall. Sometimes it is just good to throw out the scale and weigh in monthly.

7 minutes ago, Slwhurst said:

I have been debating all day on how bad it would be to go ahead and eat one

I get it. My transition went super smooth. Just eat slowly and not very large amounts at first. Remember not to drink 15 minutes before and 20-40 after.

19 minutes ago, nymisc said:

I can't tell you how jealous I am of y'all with plans that move to puree after a week or two, my plan is three weeks of liquids. I'm chomping at the bit for next week when I can move on lol.

For those on puree or dreaming of the days of puree (trust me, it’s only marginally better ;) this is a great resource. She has great ideas & recipes for all stages of this journey - and her own story is pretty encouraging as well. I bought the black&decker chopper she recommends and am loving it!

https://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com

if you developed GERD or acid reflex after the surgery how long did it take to develop?

I haven’t had any issues yet but idk if it’s too early to Celebrate lol

55 minutes ago, loli_lotus said:

I can't tell you how jealous I am of y'all with plans that move to puree after a week or two, my plan is three weeks of liquids. I'm chomping at the bit for next week when I can move on lol.

I was super nervous but my doctor said that the technique he uses allow us to eat pureed faster because our stomachs do not twist at all.