Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Plastic Surgery Thread

SillyKitty, so glad the worst part appears to be passing... No doubt, you are excited to return to warmer and sunnier California soon! This will do volumes to be home for Christmas! Isn't that a song?! Haha. Your surgeon seems excellent and thorough. So glad you received his best care, especially when traveling to him. I wanted to give you my surgeons website. I liked her preview of what a patient can expect thru the process + aftercare that might be helpful? There is mention it can take up to a year to feel like yourself again. She, like most surgeons certainly have their own protocols - like I know she does not use blood thinners because the need for regular blood flow and congealing necessary for skin incision optimum healing. She does use compression garments and drains. I interviewed one that did neither. A lot of contrasts, I found. No catheter (but I might request it) as I am not sure how you go to the bathroom in such a raw state. Ouch. I think I'd prefer to sleep and be drugged out for the week. LOL. They suggest propped up on LR sofa with lots of comfy pillows for rest. Stay hunched over for two weeks with a walker given the Fleur De Lis intersection and Tummy Tuck. www.drdanamd.com

May I ask, were you able to drink your ample water/liquids? Did you eat much? Saw my sleeve surgeon yesterday and he's given his blessings to proceed with January 21st plastics. Just to be sure to reeve up Protein intake for better incision healing process. What Proteins are you tolerating?

So excited for you and the results beyond your wildest expectations. Your desire for the 40's pin-up girl persona. So what aircraft will we be seeing your new silhouette upon!? And, hope you can proceed with New Year's Eve dress-up festivities! Now that current condition no longer applies! ;]

IMG_1055.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Sophie7713 said:

SillyKitty, so glad the worst part appears to be passing... No doubt, you are excited to return to warmer and sunnier California soon! This will do volumes to be home for Christmas! Isn't that a song?! Haha. Your surgeon seems excellent and thorough. So glad you received his best care, especially when traveling to him. I wanted to give you my surgeons website. I liked her preview of what a patient can expect thru the process + aftercare that might be helpful? There is mention it can take up to a year to feel like yourself again. She, like most surgeons certainly have their own protocols - like I know she does not use blood thinners because the need for regular blood flow and congealing necessary for skin incision optimum healing. She does use compression garments and drains. I interviewed one that did neither. A lot of contrasts, I found. No catheter (but I might request it) as I am not sure how you go to the bathroom in such a raw state. Ouch. I think I'd prefer to sleep and be drugged out for the week. LOL. They suggest propped up on LR sofa with lots of comfy pillows for rest. Stay hunched over for two weeks with a walker given the Fleur De Lis intersection and Tummy Tuck. www.drdanamd.com

May I ask, were you able to drink your ample water/liquids? Did you eat much? Saw my sleeve surgeon yesterday and he's given his blessings to proceed with January 21st plastics. Just to be sure to reeve up Protein intake for better incision healing process. What Proteins are you tolerating?

So excited for you and the results beyond your wildest expectations. Your desire for the 40's pin-up girl persona. So what aircraft will we be seeing your new silhouette upon!? And, hope you can proceed with New Year's Eve dress-up festivities! Now that current condition no longer applies! ;]

Isn't it funny how we gravitate towards surgeons who fit our needs best? I am grateful for the drains. Yes they are kind of gross, and awkward. But I've had practically no swelling, so it seems they are doing thier job. As appealing as drainless tt's sound, I'm suspicious of them. That Fluid has to go somewhere? And because I've had no swelling, I am also grateful that my surgeon doesn't believe in compression garments. The stomach girdle I had on in the care center rubbed, and bit into me. I was so glad to get that off.

I had a catheter the first night in the care center, it was put in during surgery. It was removed after my surgeon checked on me the next morning and gave the okay for me to get up. I was definitely grateful for it. It's not easy to get out of a hospital bed. I'm glad I didn't have to worry about it the first night.

I have gone back and forth between sitting in bed propped up with pillow and a recliner. But those are my two options in this hotel room. I'm sure if I were home I'd be fine on the couch. I recommend getting a tailbone cushion. My tailbone has been consistently sore since surgery, peaking about 4-5 days post op. The cushion provided at least a little relief.

I was extremely hunched over the first couple of days, but gradually and naturally I started to stand up straighter. In the care center one of the nurses was constantly telling me to stand up straighter. With a tiny bit of hindsight I would have told her to shove it, I'll stand up straighter when it doesn't hurt so badly to do so 😂

I was able to drink plenty of water/liquids. I thankfully had zero nausea. I can maybe thank my Scopolamine patch? My appetite only returned a day or two ago. I just wasn't that interested in food & didn't have much hunger. Of course the awful hospital food at the care center didn't help 🤮. I have been trying to be good about Protein. I went back to my post WLS protein playbook of Premier Protein, protein Water and Protein Bars, along with meat/cheese rolls up, and cheese and crackers. Now that I have my appetite back I have a hotel fridge full of takeout chinese 😂.

I'm excited for you ... one month countdown about to begin. So many of us taking the plastics journey together at the same time :)

Thanks for sharing with us. I am a person who tries to get off pain medication, post surgery, as soon as possible. I think I might reconsider. I have friends staying with me and it also might make it easier on them if I sleep well. So, I will be keeping that in my thoughts. Really thrilled for you. How is your Mom doing? Its so good that she could come with you. Moms are special. Even if they can be annoying at times!

@sillykitty, thank you so much for sharing your journey with us!

I am 2 1/2 months out from my WLS so not at goal yet or ready for plastics but I’m enjoying reading your story and all the comments from others.

Good luck with your continued healing!

Day 11 post op ... checking in. I continue to feel really good. Everyday my stomach is slightly less clenched and my numbness lessens each day. Only annoyance is the LBL incision at my butt crack is a little sore and oozy. Dr. said that is common, and will probably the slowest point to close up and heal properly. I was told to keep it clean and dry. So I'm packing it with gauze.

I've been reading bustmob, which is the best breast augmentation forum I have found. I am completely amazed at how I have had almost zero pain or discomfort from my BA. Most women's experiences are quite different, with weeks of pain and limited use of their arms. On the topic of my BA, they have started to drop slightly, and are looking slightly less freakish.

My mom is doing fine. She has been a big help. I haven't needed any physical assistance, like getting up etc. But she has done laundry, gotten us food, CVS runs, etc. I know that she feels much better being here and having her peace of mind I'm doing well. I appreciate her sacrifice being here for the last two weeks. It's not a lot of fun being stuck in a hotel room with no car and freezing rain outside, when she could be at home in sunny SoCal with her friends and pups. It has been all smooth sailing ... but it is almost another full week that we will be together 24/7, so we'll see 😳😂

4 hours ago, sillykitty said:

Only annoyance is the LBL incision at my butt crack

Other than the tailbone pain you mentioned in an earlier post do you have any pain/discomfort from sitting or leaning back?

1 minute ago, ms.sss said:

Other than the tailbone pain you mentioned in an earlier post do you have any pain/discomfort from sitting or leaning back?

Nope, my incision is completely numb. I'm even sleeping on my side now, right on my incision. It just feels .... lumpy 😳

My tt muscle tightening doesn't hurt from sitting or leaning back. Up until a couple of days ago I just couldn't lay completely flat on my back. Little too tight, I'd have to either prop up my knees or my head.

1 hour ago, sillykitty said:

Up until a couple of days ago I just couldn't lay completely flat on my back

So you can stand up straight now? How many days where you post when you could do this for the first time? I find the hunching over the most annoying part of this all.

49 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

So you can stand up straight now? How many days where you post when you could do this for the first time? I find the hunching over the most annoying part of this all.

I'd say about 3 days ago ... so day 8 or so post op?

Yes hunching over and then subsequent sore back, that makes you unable to get comfortable, ever .... worst part for me

Edited by sillykitty

2 hours ago, sillykitty said:

Nope, my incision is completely numb. I'm even sleeping on my side now, right on my incision. It just feels .... lumpy 😳

My tt muscle tightening doesn't hurt from sitting or leaning back. Up until a couple of days ago I just couldn't lay completely flat on my back. Little too tight, I'd have to either prop up my knees or my head.

Did you doctor use exparel on the incisions? I had that for colon surgery and my incisions were numb for a week thank god.

2 minutes ago, Uomograsso said:

Did you doctor use exparel on the incisions? I had that for colon surgery and my incisions were numb for a week thank god.

He did. He does not as standard practice, but I told him I was a big baby and scared, so he offered it. 😂

I am 11 days post op now, so any experal has well worn off. Numbness is just a side effect of the LBL. According to some who have had one, like @catwoman7 it maybe long term or even permanent.

Random musings:

I'm clearly in a vanity phase right now. There was a good Groupon sale yesterday. I am now the proud owner of certificates for ... Botox, Laser Resurfacing, Filler, Hydrodermabrasion, Chemical Peel, and more 😲 I'm justifying it that I have a high profile meeting coming up.

Shower chairs are really nice ... if it didn't look crazy I'd like one at home

I really respect my surgeon. During my in person consultation he mentioned two points on the LBL incision that commonly has delayed healing, at the butt crack due to movement and tension & at the front midpoint due to poor blood supply. Guess the two areas I'm oozing from ....

This is going to be a long weekend. Been kept busy with work these last few day. But now, just stuck in a hotel room and freezing temps outside. It also doesn't feel like Christmas at all without all the reminders, like music in stores and decorations.

@sillykitty so are you done with all the cosmetic surgeries you wanted to have? Remind me, did you pay out of pocket for everything? I have to have mine done in stages because I just can't afford it all at once.

13 hours ago, rs said:

@sillykitty so are you done with all the cosmetic surgeries you wanted to have? Remind me, did you pay out of pocket for everything? I have to have mine done in stages because I just can't afford it all at once.

You know ... I'm not really sure

Out of pocket. I'm not patient enough to go through the process to see if I could get some insurance coverage.

This surgery took care of the areas that bothered me the most, tummy, thighs and boobs. I am so grateful that my surgeon could handle all these in one surgery, and without a thigh lift. I originally got a quote for my lower body only because all of my other consultations were 8 hr surgeries for lower body alone (LBL, thigh lift, Lipo & fat transfer). When my surgeon came back with LBL only and a 3 hour surgery I asked if I could add on boobs. The way I look at it it was ultimately a cost savings, because a stand alone BA would cost more than than adding it on to my LBL.

I think long term I want a arm lift and face/neck lift. I am curious to see you, @ms.sss & @mousecat88's results. Also I want to see how I end up scaring from my LBL. The arm lift scar is the only real deterrent for me. I figure i can push the face/neck lift maybe 10 years down the road? I'm curious to see how the filler, botox & laser resurfacing works. But none of those address my neck though.

I also really thought I would want butt implants ASAP. I know it's vain, but I really like the curvy aesthetic, and was bummed at the thought of a pancake butt. But my new post LBL butt is small but perky. So I'm going to roll with it for a while. and see how I feel about it. (along w my booty panties of course 😂)

Cost is definitely an issue. I'm in a fortunate (financial) position of having no kids. So it is just a matter of economizing in other areas of my life. My budget is my own and I'm not accountable to anyone how I spend my money.

Bigger issue for me is down time from traveling. My actual time off is minimal. But to not travel for 4-6 weeks is significant. My boss has been very supportive, but I can't imagine he will be as supportive if I do it next year and the year after, you know?

Edited by sillykitty

Day 13 checking in...

Had a small set back yesterday as my lower abdomen started to swell. I emailed my surgeon and he said it was normal after removal of drains and increased activity. (I love that my surgeon emails me back at 10pm on a Saturday night) It was pretty uncomfortable though. It felt very tight, and cause me to hunch over a bit again, which then led to back pain.

I'm much less swollen today. If activity causes swelling, then you know what, I'm going to be as lazy af today 😂

Little concerned about tomorrow. I have a Dr appt, where my last drains should be removed. Then packing, then flying home. I'm afraid I might pop!