Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Plastic Surgery Thread



Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I'm starting my plastics journey this week! Creating this thread as a place to gather my thoughts, and gather opinions as well.

My priorities

1&2 - Tummy & Boobs

3 - Thighs

4&5 - Butt & Arms

Specifics for each area

Tummy - low & thin scar, natural looking belly button, and lipo/conturing to narrow my waist as much as possible

Boobs - augmentation & lift, VERY important that my boobs look natural, thinking D cup with tear drop Gummy bear implants

Thighs - do not want a full thigh lift with long scars, so only a crescent lift, or as part of a lower body lift

Butt - either a fat transfer (BBL) or buttock lift with a dermal fat flap as part of a lower body lift

Arms - do not want a full arm lift with long scars, so only a crescent lift

I reached out for consultations with 5 surgeons who specialize, or do a fair amount of surgeries on massive weight loss patients. I have #1 & #2 choices, and have consultations scheduled with both on Friday 😁 Interestingly neither of my top choices charge a consultation fee, but the three others do. I am seriously considering canceling my other consultations to see #1 & 2 first, before I invest up to $750 on consultation fees.

Anyone have opinions if I should just see #1 & #2 first, or is it worth the investment in consultation fees to have more surgeons quotes?

My #1 surgeon does lots of lower body lifts. I hadn't originally considered this because I'd rather not have the circumferential scar. But his results are amazing, and at least in the posted photos the scars are very thin. It may also be the only way I can get most of my wish list accomplished in one surgery. I have seen where he has done a lower body lift & a breast lift & augmentation in one surgery. That would only leave arms to tackle at some point later, if I still wanted them fixed.

Here's an example of the work of my #1 surgeon

1192736223_ScreenShot08-19-19at02_49PM.png.dd817879d9bbf86a901787be7f1b80f5.png

Edited by sillykitty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats! Can't wait to follow your journey!! Wish I had something constructive to add, but you're gonna rock it! (And that surgeon's work looks beautiful!!) Good luck Friday!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting my plastics journey this week! Creating this thread as a place to gather my thoughts, and gather opinions as well.
My priorities
1&2 - Tummy & Boobs
3 - Thighs
4&5 - Butt & Arms
Specifics for each area
Tummy - low & thin scar, natural looking belly button, and lipo/conturing to narrow my waist as much as possible
Boobs - augmentation & lift, VERY important that my boobs look natural, thinking D cup with tear drop Gummy bear implants
Thighs - do not want a full thigh lift with long scars, so only a crescent lift, or as part of a lower body lift
Butt - either a fat transfer (BBL) or buttock lift with a dermal fat flap as part of a lower body lift
Arms - do not want a full arm lift with long scars, so only a crescent lift

I reached out for consultations with 5 surgeons who specialize, or do a fair amount of surgeries on massive weight loss patients. I have #1 & #2 choices, and have consultations scheduled with both on Friday [emoji16] Interestingly neither of my top choices charge a consultation fee, but the three others do. I am seriously considering canceling my other consultations to see #1 & 2 first, before I invest up to $750 on consultation fees.
Anyone have opinions if I should just see #1 & #2 first, or is it worth the investment in consultation fees to have more surgeons quotes?
My #1 surgeon does lots of lower body lifts. I hadn't originally considered this because I'd rather not have the circumstantial scar. But his results are amazing, and at least in the posted photos the scars are very thin. It may also be the only way I can get most of my wish list accomplished in one surgery. I have seen where he has done a lower body lift & a breast lift & augmentation in one surgery. That would only leave arms to tackle at some point later, if I still wanted them fixed.
Here's an example of the work of my #1 surgeon
1192736223_ScreenShot08-19-19at02_49PM.png.dd817879d9bbf86a901787be7f1b80f5.png
Congratulations on your journey!!!! I'll be following!


I honestly won't pay consultation fees for a very saturated field where you can see their body of work as well as their profile in terms of board certification, how long they've been practicing, their reviews and mortality/severe complication rate.

I see the reason they want a fee but it's only for their benefit because you may more likely than not go with someone you paid a fee for because you feel beholden especially if they say they'll add it to your final cost. That seems self serving on their part. Especially when what you are trying do is shop around.


No consultation fee shows that the physician is comfortable and sure of their work and when they sell it to you, you pick them because they are good and you felt comfortable with them to go forward and that fosters a trusting relationship in my opinion.

Most plastic surgeons I know here in AZ do not require a consultation fee. You see their work and either love them or leave them.

That sample work looks fantastic [emoji108][emoji108][emoji108][emoji108]

Good luck!!🧡[emoji169]🧡[emoji169]🧡

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Deedee12 said:

No consultation fee shows that the physician is comfortable and sure of their work and when they sell it to you, you pick them because they are good and you felt comfortable with them to go forward

I agree with this. I think my #1 & #2 choices don't charge fees because they are very confident in their work, as they should be from the pics and reviews they have online.

But on the other hand, I do understand the surgeons who do charge fees. Their time is valuable, and it weeds out anyone who isn't truly serious about surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sillykitty said:

I agree with this. I think my #1 & #2 choices don't charge fees because they are very confident in their work, as they should be from the pics and reviews they have online.

But on the other hand, I do understand the surgeons who do charge fees. Their time is valuable, and it weeds out anyone who isn't truly serious about surgery.

A small fee would be OK, like $50, that is the fee charged by those locally. I would agree that the other two are very confident and know you will want them. Who is #1. That is amazing work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ValerieInMexico said:

A small fee would be OK, like $50

Yeah, I wouldn't hesitate about $50. But the sum for these three surgeons consultation fees would be $750 😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It will be really exciting to follow your next phase to plastics! Thank you for sharing this with us. Surgeon #1 work is amazing! He has created a truly gorgeous figure for this woman with little trace he was even there. And, with time, as she continues to heal - the thin scar lines will likely continue to dissipate into her skin. What an art and a science! It's hard to believe the other 4 surgeons could beat this masterpiece?

While I cannot speak to the medical plastics profession (I did read the article posted earlier and agree with both perspectives) in my particular practice as a creative professional - I always charge a consultation fee. In our highly saturated marketplace here with an abundance of the often unqualified and low caliber - A clients ease in paying this fee establishes a trust, a value and sets a positive precedence of high quality. Invaluable information and customized, thoughtful advice about their personal project is addressed at this first meet to include my travel time, gas and milage to the site from studio. A consult fee does separate the men from the boys (tire kickers, so to speak) in seeking a mutually rewarding, respectful and successful future collaboration. I am able to give my best when I feel appreciated and well compensated for the wisdom, experience and design acumen engaged.

Personally, I would visit 3 - 5 surgeons regardless of a fee or not. The $750 you might invest is a very small percentage given the overall tab to the seriousness, very personalized and long term commitment to your health, happiness and well being. I feel you are worth exploring all viable options, and the peace of mind that will evolve as you compare, ponder and ultimately - make the best decision without regret or wonder. A fee or no fee would not influence my pursuit of a private consultation; the opportunity to learn more; to meet their staff and understand their aftercare; And, to experience the overall personality of their practices. The quality of the hospitals and/or surgery centers they utilize would also be a mitigating factor.

No doubt, you are about to embark on a remarkable (and, a little scary, too) endeavor that knowledge and familiar repetition will serve to empower! Continued best wishes in researching and selecting the very best surgeon for you and your needs. So happy and excited for you. ;]

Edited by Sophie7713
repeat word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How exciting the new you gets a new body! You are going to love whatever you have done. Take a before bikini pic and then a couple months after so we can all be envious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

all of my consults charged a fee. They were something like $100-150 for each one. I can totally understand this as you're taking an hour of their time, and there's no guarantee you're going to go with them. I can see why they wouldn't want to spend a huge chunk of their day seeing people for free who may not even become patients of theirs. They'll usually apply the consultation fee to your surgery if you decide to go with them. I don't think it has anything to do with confidence as two of my consults were with nationally-known surgeons who work with massive weight loss patients. People come from all over the country to have surgery with them.

that said, if you're really opposed to these fees, then go see what #1 and #2 have to say. If you're not crazy about either one or they have wildly different ideas on what needs to be done (and some do...), then it might be worth it to pay a fee to a surgeon #3 for a tie-breaker if you really can't decide.

my first two surgeons had very different ideas on what to do with me. One was nationally known and the other an up-and-comer who seemed very competent and had done a boatload of these surgeries. I was kind of thinking it might be better to go with the nationally-known one, but I wasn't 100% sure. So I decided to go to a third surgeon, also nationally-known, for his opinion. I knew his quote (not the consult fee - but his quote for the surgery) would be way more than the other two because he's known to be pricey, but I figured it was worth the $100 to at least get his opinion so I could decide between surgeon #1 and #2. Well, I liked him so much I ended up going with him, although that's another story...

most surgeons put the LBL scar below your underwear line, so I wouldn't worry about that. You can't see mine at all if I have my underwear on - and even then, it's SUPER thin, so it's not obvious even when I'm clothes-less!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooo, I did two consults last week. I went with the two first that didn't charge consultation fees. Even regardless of the fees, they were my top 2 choices from pics and reviews online.

The good news is they both had nearly identical recommendations. They were both kind and professional, and I felt like they really listened to what I want.

In speaking to the surgeons, here is my revised wants list

Lower Body Lift - this would include Tummy Tuck, Lipo, outer and front of thigh lift, monsplasty, and fat transfer for butt lift.

Inner Thigh Lift - could be combined with LBL & would be a good compromise to have a concealed scar vs the more extensive scar of a medial thigh lift.

Breast Lift & Augmentation - both surgeons said this would have to be a separate procedure, unable to combine with the LBL due to time under anesthesia & surgeon fatigue. Both did not recommend the teardrop Gummy bear. They said it works better in theory than IRL, and I can get more natural results with traditional round silicone implant. Both said recovery time would only be 2 weeks of no traveling. So that makes it possible to just slip this surgery in sometime next year. But I will probably look for a plastic surgeon that specialized in BA/BL vs one who specializes in massive weight loss. BL/BA's are so common & i don't think my breasts are significantly different than a women's who had children & breastfed, I could find a more convenient and potentially less expensive option.

The bad news is, surgeon #1's quote was INSANELY high. Like I could buy a small house in Kansas for that kind of money.

Surgeon #2's quote was significantly less crazy, but still a big chunk of change.

The more I look at surgeon's #2 pics, and after the consult, I'm leaning away from going with him. He only does weight loss patients. Therefore he does a lot of My 600 lb Life type stuff. He seems more focused on removing skin and fat, then true body contouring, if that makes sense? I just don't know if I would be aesthetically happy with my body afterwards. Contrast that with surgeon #1's extreme focus on aesthetics. I am confident I'd get the best results with surgeon #1, but the cost seems unreasonable.

So I'm broadening my search to other surgeons in the country that specialize in massive weight loss. The LBL & thigh lift are not very common outside of post bariatrics, so I want a specialist for those. I contacted my #1 out of state choice for a consultation, and learned he is retiring and not scheduling any new surgeries :( :( :(

The pressure is on to book a procedure. Understandably my December time frame is very popular, and I absolutely need to have my procedure done in a pretty small window due to wok commitments.

I'm a little disheartened by the process right now :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

Sooo, I did two consults last week. I went with the two first that didn't charge consultation fees. Even regardless of the fees, they were my top 2 choices from pics and reviews online.

The good news is they both had nearly identical recommendations. They were both kind and professional, and I felt like they really listened to what I want.

In speaking to the surgeons, here is my revised wants list

Lower Body Lift - this would include Tummy Tuck, Lipo, outer and front of thigh lift, monsplasty, and fat transfer for butt lift.

Inner Thigh Lift - could be combined with LBL & would be a good compromise to have a concealed scar vs the more extensive scar of a medial thigh lift.

Breast Lift & Augmentation - both surgeons said this would have to be a separate procedure, unable to combine with the LBL due to time under anesthesia & surgeon fatigue. Both did not recommend the teardrop Gummy bear. They said it works better in theory than IRL, and I can get more natural results with traditional round silicone implant. Both said recovery time would only be 2 weeks of no traveling. So that makes it possible to just slip this surgery in sometime next year. But I will probably look for a plastic surgeon that specialized in BA/BL vs one who specializes in massive weight loss. BL/BA's are so common & i don't think my breasts are significantly different than a women's who had children & breastfed, I could find a more convenient and potentially less expensive option.

The bad news is, surgeon #1's quote was INSANELY high. Like I could buy a small house in Kansas for that kind of money.

Surgeon #2's quote was significantly less crazy, but still a big chunk of change.

The more I look at surgeon's #2 pics, and after the consult, I'm leaning away from going with him. He only does weight loss patients. Therefore he does a lot of My 600 lb Life type stuff. He seems more focused on removing skin and fat, then true body contouring, if that makes sense? I just don't know if I would be aesthetically happy with my body afterwards. Contrast that with surgeon #1's extreme focus on aesthetics. I am confident I'd get the best results with surgeon #1, but the cost seems unreasonable.

So I'm broadening my search to other surgeons in the country that specialize in massive weight loss. The LBL & thigh lift are not very common outside of post bariatrics, so I want a specialist for those. I contacted my #1 out of state choice for a consultation, and learned he is retiring and not scheduling any new surgeries :( :( :(

The pressure is on to book a procedure. Understandably my December time frame is very popular, and I absolutely need to have my procedure done in a pretty small window due to wok commitments.

I'm a little disheartened by the process right now :(

I didn't look on the west coast at all, so I don't know who's all out there. Peter Fisher in San Antonio is supposed to be reasonably priced and is nationally known. My guy in Chicago is also well known, but he's pretty expensive. There are some on the east coast - like Dr. Capella in New Jersey and Dr. Michaels in the DC area. As I recall, they were pretty reasonable price-wise, too - or were a few years ago, anyway. Both very respected in the subspecialty (i.e., body contouring for massive weight loss patients).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I didn't look on the west coast at all, so I don't know who's all out there. Peter Fisher in San Antonio is supposed to be reasonably priced and is nationally known. My guy in Chicago is also well known, but he's pretty expensive. There are some on the east coast - like Dr. Capella in New Jersey and Dr. Michaels in the DC area. As I recall, they were pretty reasonable price-wise, too - or were a few years ago, anyway. Both very respected in the subspecialty (i.e., body contouring for massive weight loss patients).

Thanks @catwoman7!

Dr. Fisher in San Antonio is the surgeon who is retiring.

Dr. Capella was already on my radar. Good to know you weren't shocked by his pricing. I was leery since he services the NYC area.

I just looked up Dr. Michaels in DC, I assume Dr. Joseph Michaels?

Also on my radar is Dr. Hurwitz in Pittsburgh.

Can I have the name of your surgeon in Chicago? DM me if you prefer!

Thanks so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

Thanks @catwoman7!

Dr. Fisher in San Antonio is the surgeon who is retiring.

Dr. Capella was already on my radar. Good to know you weren't shocked by his pricing. I was leery since he services the NYC area.

I just looked up Dr. Michaels in DC, I assume Dr. Joseph Michaels?

Also on my radar is Dr. Hurwitz in Pittsburgh.

Can I have the name of your surgeon in Chicago? DM me if you prefer!

Thanks so much!

he's retiring? Wow! A lot of people are going to really bummed about that!! He is super well known in the bariatric community! And yes - Joseph Michaels. A lot of people on another forum I'm on have gone to him. I went to Lawrence Zachary in Chicago. Actually, I think I first heard about him right here on BP....

btw - Dr. Zachary works out of two hospitals in Chicago. He's on the faculty of the Univ of Chicago, so he works at that hospital of course - but I think it's mostly insurance-covered patients who go there. He also works out of Weiss Hospital, a small community hospital on the north side of the city. He does the self-pays there, because the facility fee there is lower there than it is at U of C. I was self-pay, so my surgery was at Weiss.

Edited by catwoman7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sillykitty

This is the surgeon I am looking into in Boise. He has package rates and lists the prices. Are his prices comparable to your consults? I have other surgeons for options. He seems to have the most experience.

Package deal #1 After massive weight loss

https://deansorensenmd.com/Procedures/Body/After-Weight-Loss-Surgery-Boise-ID

The cost for a combination surgery to remove skin following a massive weight loss will vary. Certain factors such as the number of procedures performed (abdominoplasty, liposuction, thigh lift, etc.), combined with the number of surgical settings, hospital stay, anesthesia, etc., will play a role in determining the final cost. On average, patients can expect to pay at least $10,000-$15,000 or higher.

Package deal # 2 Mommy Makeover:

https://deansorensenmd.com/Procedures/Body/Mommy-Makeover-Boise-ID

BREAST

  • Conditions caused by pregnancy: Loss of volume and/or breast tissue, sagging and/or drooping, excess skin (ptosis), breasts that have become too large
  • Surgeries to consider: Breast augmentation with implants, breast lift, breast augmentation with a lift, breast reduction surgery

ABDOMEN

  • Conditions caused by pregnancy: Excess fat and/or persistent bulge in the abdomen, sagging and loose skin, stretch marks and other unsightly skin irregularities
  • Surgeries to consider: Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty), liposuction of the abdomen

LOWER BODY

  • Conditions caused by pregnancy: Sagging skin and excess fat in the buttocks, hips and thighs
  • Surgeries to consider: lower body lift including liposuction and skin tightening of the buttocks, hips and thighs

Mommy makeover procedures will vary in cost depending how many surgeries were combined and how many surgery sessions are needed. At a minimum, if a breast lift with augmentation is performed along with a tummy tuck, the cost could range from $8,500-$17,000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • veisor  »  Panda333

      Hi!
      Thank you for replying.   It means the world to me.  It also confirmed what I been feeling about which procedure to choose.   I fall into the category as you do and elected the sleeve as it seemed to be less invasive and recovery would be better and faster,  however I am so afraid to regain the weight back since I rarely eat and obesity runs in my family.   I have two siblings that had the bypass and they have been successful.  My sister was in the high 400's and is about 140 now and has been for several years since her procedure.  I guess I felt that the sleeve would allow me to have more control, however I realized that I can't control my genetics and that is one of the biggest reasons that I am here.  Yes, I have not always made the best choices but trust me when I say that I have been on the loss and regain + more rollercoaster weight ride for yrs! I have spent so much money as I am sure you have as well as many others who are going through this.  It is not easy and anyone who thinks this is a copout is crazy!!! This has been harder than anything I have done including hiring a personal trainer to kick my butt in the gym! And still with all the gym hours, clean eating "not to mention the clean eating cost" I knew it was time that I moved to the next step to finally be who I know in my head and heart cause when I see myself in the mirror,  well let's just say is not the girl I see in my mind. 
      So thanks again for your reply and I hope that we can keep in touch through our journey. 
      😊
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • AggiG

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Pookeyism

      I'm going in for a sleeve revision October 4th. It worked well for me, and I am not back to my starting weight. However, a revision is strongly encouraged at this time (there are additional medical issues). I have decided to forgo the insurance process, even though I know I would eventually be approved. "Eventually" is the key issue here. I have a small window to create this to where it will not impact my work or home life as much, and waiting for the insurance approval would take over a year.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ms.sss

      I just read @BoredCW's status post and also want to lament the loss of my butt.  Looking at me the side, my back is basically flat from my neck to my knees.  My jeans have lovely fabric folds draping from my backside from lack of filling.
      Two days ago, I was sitting on a worn couch at the gym and I could feel the springs and count how many I was sitting on.  Told the Kid and she said she wants to find her childhood alphabet fridge magnets in the basement to spell out words and have me sit on them and do some "butt-braille-reading" 😂
      · 5 replies
      1. FluffyChix

        HI-LAR-ious! I love your kid!!!

        Yeah, we all suffer from noassatall syndrome. :(

      2. 2Bsmaller18

        Yes. I think the spandex in jeans is the only thing that helps keep the sag below the pockets form looking ridiculous. Even leggings wrinkle there.

      3. ms.sss

        Ah, our disappearing collective butts.

        I am seriously considering changing my plastics plan. I am booked for an arm lift in December, but my summer obsession with arm exercises has improved the look of them quite a bit to the point that I think I may hate my butt more than my arms. Should I do a butt lift instead?!?! In conjunction with?!?!?

        I am trying to cultivate an obsession with butt exercises but its not working so far...

      4. 2Bsmaller18

        I don't think you could do both at the same time. For me personally it's arms. I have granny wrinkles down to my elbows. I can always dover my body with tshirts, pants, etc but unless I wear long sleeves my arms are an issue. I also can't wear a small enough jacket since it fits everywhere but too tight in the arms. They measure around 13.5 inches. Can you compromise and get the smaller arm lift. I don't know if that saves much $ or recovery but if your arms improved that much maybe just a tweek will work?

      5. ms.sss

        The difference in price for a mini arm lift and the full arm lift at my surgeon is less thank 2K and probably not worth the savings. May as well pay the extra bit and get the full arm lift as my sag also reaches my elbows. You are right though, my arms see the light of day way more than my butt does...I'll have to see if the continued butt exercises will change my mind down the road (but it's looking more and more that a butt lift is in my future)

        P.S. At the beginning of my 2 week pre-op diet, my upper right arm measured 17.75 inches in circumference. Now its 10. And that is with the extra skin still.

    • BoredCW

      On the 3 week plateau from hell.. It seems like an endless desert with sand dunes that represent the 1-2 pounds gain then dropped from day to day. Met with my weight loss group tonight and was told its normal. That this is sometimes like a step, plateau then drop, plateau then drop. Only for the plateau's to go on longer the farther away from the surgery date I get. Much like EDM, I can't wait for the drop. 
      On top of it all, I lost my ass. Seriously.. its gone. All that cushion that I enjoyed lounging on eating what ever I ate, watching what ever was on the computer or tv... is gone. That glorious support system is vamoosed. I know this because my ass (tailbone) hurts all the time. I'm sitting on bone now and its sore. I am my own literal Pain in the Ass! (My family would say whats new, but who cares about them.. my butt hurts.) I have yet to bring a pillow with me everywhere I go to sit on, but I'm getting ready to as I sit for my job working on computers. So far losing the weight is a Pain. I hope it gets better. 
      · 2 replies
      1. ms.sss

        Hang in there, the plateau will end eventually. Also I feel you on the butt thing.

      2. FluffyChix

        I have a butt pillow. I'm not proud. :D

        The plateaus suck!!!! Keep the faith and motor on!

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×