Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Plastic Surgery Thread

On 12/26/2019 at 11:41 AM, ms.sss said:

Good point. Does your surgeon know about your timelines? What did they say?

I'm only a week out, and my waist measurement increased considerably.

Maybe the PS vets can chime in (of course understanding that everyone's healing is different)... @catwoman7?

I have a pre-surgery appt. Jan. 8th where I hope to address these concerns + questions in more details. My initial consult was very positive but long, and a little overwhelming. Having hubby go with me on the 8th will help clarify. A deposit was already placed to save Jan.21st surgery date. We are to pay in full on Jan. 8th appt. So, it may be best to call their office day after New Year's holiday. Very enthusiastic to get all this loose heavy skin (double abdominal roll and sagging breasts) off my new smaller frame BUT simply dreading this process!!!!! :[ Love to dance! But travel, entertaining, dance moves and gown comfort come spring are of major concerns... I wish to feel my best - it's a definite conundrum and maybe a double-edged sword? 😕

On 12/26/2019 at 10:41 AM, ms.sss said:

Good point. Does your surgeon know about your timelines? What did they say?

I'm only a week out, and my waist measurement increased considerably.

Maybe the PS vets can chime in (of course understanding that everyone's healing is different)... @catwoman7?

Even if you're lucky and don't have much swelling at that point, your shape could change fairly significantly without that excess skin...

On 12/28/2019 at 6:26 PM, Sophie7713 said:

I have a pre-surgery appt. Jan. 8th where I hope to address these concerns + questions in more details. My initial consult was very positive but long, and a little overwhelming. Having hubby go with me on the 8th will help clarify. A deposit was already placed to save Jan.21st surgery date. We are to pay in full on Jan. 8th appt. So, it may be best to call their office day after New Year's holiday. Very enthusiastic to get all this loose heavy skin (double abdominal roll and sagging breasts) off my new smaller frame BUT simply dreading this process!!!!! :[ Love to dance! But travel, entertaining, dance moves and gown comfort come spring are of major concerns... I wish to feel my best - it's a definite conundrum and maybe a double-edged sword? 😕

The more I think about your conundrum,. the more I think you will be good to go 4 months post op.

Checking in 24 days post op

Random thoughts

• Overall I feel surprisingly good most of the time. Biggest issue is continued swelling and stiffness. That looks like it will continue for the time being. The more I move the less stiff I am. But of course once I'm stiff it is hard to be motivated to move.
  • My left breast subtlety, but not so subtlety dropped and softened a bit overnight. But now I am getting sharp pain in the bottom of my breast. Apparently normal, but it takes my breath away sometimes.
  • Went out for NYE and felt great, even did some dancing (just call me @mousecat88 🤣). It surprised me because I was busy working and relatively immobile most of the day. I was in some pretty major discomfort from stiffness getting ready that evening.
  • Grossness alert. My crack ooziness is starting to not smell great, it smells sour. Apparently no cause for concern, but major yuck. I ordered some silver infused gauze that will hopefully help. I hope it does because it's expensive.
  • I am taking Advil when my stiffness is at it's worse. I know this is a no no for most WLS programs. But long ago my GI ex and I discussed it. He thought since I have no issues with stomach acid, and never have, it would be fine on occasion.
  • I was glad to see @ms.sss also drank on NYE, I was feeling pretty guilty. I actually drank lightly 3 days straight, and then moderately on NYE. I had planned to abstain because I figured my body was already going through a lot, but I failed. Good news is, seems to have had no negative consequences.
  • My skin near my incisions is sooo dry! I'm flaking all over all my black clothes 🤣. I haven't moisturized because I don't want to get anything on my incisions. But maybe some coconut oil might be ok?
  • sleeping is challenging. I have a hard time staying comfortable, so I toss and turn. I have been taking Ambien on occasion and that helps.
  • My scabs are starting to come off. I'm excited, I think once my incision flattens out they will be very straight and thin scars. Gives me hope I can eventually get an am lift, if I don't scar terribly from my LBL.
  • My weight is down, despite the swelling. 2 days pre op 126.4 (this is low for me), 19 days post op 126.4, 20 days post op 125.2, 24 days post op 126.4

1 hour ago, sillykitty said:

• My skin near my incisions is sooo dry! I'm flaking all over all my black clothes 🤣. I haven't moisturized because I don't want to get anything on my incisions. But maybe some coconut oil might be ok?

I was told to keep my incisions moist... at first with Neosporin or Calendula or Aquaphor until 2 weeks post-op... now I use Calendula or Vitamin E oil. I also put Cetaphil lotion on on occasion.

8 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

I was told to keep my incisions moist... at first with Neosporin or Calendula or Aquaphor until 2 weeks post-op... now I use Calendula or Vitamin E oil. I also put Cetaphil lotion on on occasion.

@mousecat88 did you not have steri-stips placed on your incisions either?

9 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

And my surgeon wants my incisions dry ... it's almost like different WLS protocols 😂

1 minute ago, ms.sss said:

@mousecat88 did you not have steri-stips placed on your incisions either?

Yes, I had steri-strips. They stayed on for about 2 weeks and slowly I pulled them off as they were peeling off. So, like as the strips came off, I was to fill in the gaps with moisturizing agents.

Edited by mousecat88

I was told to moisturize to prevent scabbing and aid in the prevention of scar formation. I didn't have any scabs at all. The Steristrips came off quickly on my abdomen, but a little slower on my arms. As they got wet and peeled I yoinked them off.

6 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

And my surgeon wants my incisions dry ... it's almost like different WLS protocols 😂

And mine did not give me any instructions regarding wet vs. dry! Only to dry my steri-strips after showering and tape over any loosening ones with new ones (at least until I see him again next week). 🤷🏼‍♀️

Edited by ms.sss

2 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

And mine did not give me any instructions regarding wet vs. dry! Only to dry my steri-strips after showering and tape over any loosening ones with new ones (at least until I see him again next week). 🤷🏼‍♀️

lol my surgeon just yanked them all off and was like "they're really hanging onto you!" by the end of a few showers, most weren't even covering the incisions and were just hanging there. which is when i filled in the spots with calendula. my incision lines are super thin and i don't think they will be visible at all in a few months, honestly. i'm super happy with my surgeon and i'm excited for this october's next phase.

2 hours ago, sillykitty said:

@sillykitty I’m pretty sure usual protocol is to keep dry up to a point in healing , it won’t hurt to moisturize surrounding areas. But Personally I’d break doctors protocol for the right kind of moisture ...

So with that i have to chime in with a suggestion- ever since I got this in a sample box from a online store I loved (that went out of business thanks to Walgreens) I love the stuff. Admittedly I don’t always remember to use it. Probably the sample was best quality.

what is it? Tamanu oil. It’s good for wound healing and even woks very well for acne. I mainly used it at the time for acne.

Tamanu oil contains moisturizing Omega fatty acids and it's well known to promote new, healthy cell growth. According to dermatologist Dr. Shari Sperling, DO, tamanu oil has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which provide wound-healing benefits for the skin.

https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/blog/products/all-about-tamanu-oil.html

Edited by Darktowerdream

Four weeks post op today!

Overall I think my recovery has gone really well. I was so unsure about when I would be functional. That happened about 2 weeks post op, so sooner than I expected.

But I am impatient about the issues that are minor in the scheme of things, but annoying in the moment.

My swelling is uncomfortable and there are no signs of it subsiding anytime soon. It is pronounced, and I look a few months pregnant. My incision at the crack is weepy (and smelly :( ) and will take weeks to resolve according to my surgeon's office. My raised incision is lumpy to rest on and hard to dress around. sleeping is uncomfortable in that I can't stay in one position for more than an hour or two. (Yes, I recognize I'm a total whiny baby about all this)

Newest development is I developed increased soreness of my abdominal muscles. Nothing sharp, just a deep ache like I had done a billion sit ups. It developed throughout the weekend. I called my surgeons office about it this morning. It is probably just from overdoing it as I have returned to normal life, grocery shopping, house keeping etc.. I was advised to take it easier. The corset type sutures take 8 weeks to fully heal and I don't want to cause them to separate before that happens. So I guess I'm retreating back to being as lazy as possible. So back to sweatpants @FluffyChix & @ms.sss 😂

I also had my first lymphatic massage last week to help reduce the swelling. I have two schedule this week and two next. I'm skeptical .... It is a very light touch, and my logic brain just can't comprehend that it will actually help. But I'm desperate to deflate, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Aw man. Sorry for this update!!! Whine away!!! Or wine away as you need to sweetie!!!! ((hugs))

Please keep an eye out for your abdominal thing. I actually don't like the sound of that especially in addition to the swelling and weepiness of the bum. Make sure you monitor achiness (whole body), headaches, chills or fever. If any of those things happen, get to the ER where the best PS in your city practice. OK?

Saying healing prayers! Glad you are now back in pjs. I raise a flannel leg to salute you!!

Solidarity my friend!

IMG_5565.thumb.JPG.cd1930203d06e67728b50eb65662c4e0.JPG IMG_5566.thumb.JPG.3692f1d20f069c6291e63256928d7818.JPG

59 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Aw man. Sorry for this update!!! Whine away!!! Or wine away as you need to sweetie!!!! ((hugs))

Please keep an eye out for your abdominal thing. I actually don't like the sound of that especially in addition to the swelling and weepiness of the bum. Make sure you monitor achiness (whole body), headaches, chills or fever. If any of those things happen, get to the ER where the best PS in your city practice. OK?

Saying healing prayers! Glad you are now back in pjs. I raise a flannel leg to salute you!!

Solidarity my friend!

I'm monitoring my temp twice a day. I even take my thermometer to my bf's house 🤣 I don't feel unwell at all. Just uncomfortable.

All of my annoyances are just kind of expected things. It seems like very few escape swelling. I had hoped I would be an exception, but no such luck. The wound weepiness. It is a moist spot naturally with a lot of tension, hence delayed healing. The muscle soreness, looking back, I did a lot of lifting these last few days, grocery bags, prepped meals, big heavy sous vide container. I think that is to blame (I'm telling myself it's not the cardio!) My surgeon and his office is in the loop on everything, with pics, so I'm confident it's not serious, just very frustrating. I have stated patience is not a virtue of mine, right?? 😂

Posting from my desk in sweats, a robe, and covered by a blanket 😂

Edited by sillykitty