Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dose of Reality!!! Please do your Research!

Let me start this thread by first apologizing if it is too straight forward. I know we all need support including myself and we are all here for support, to get to know one another, and to be there to pick one another up when we fall.

Gastric Surgery is a life changing surgery! It will change the rest of your life for the rest of your life. It is a physical change to your inner workings of your body.. and ONLY your body. It does not change how we deal with food. It does not change how we choose to eat. A choice is a choice that solely rests on our shoulders. Our stomach was changed on the inside to restrict the amount of food we can consume at one time. That is it!! The rest is up to us.

Please do your research before having the surgery. I have seen so many posts on here where people think because the stomach was altered the weight is going to magically drop off over night. Magic is found at Disney Only :). The hard work,exercise, controlled eating, limiting carbs avoiding junk food. Making the right choices when it comes to fueling our bodies is solely our responsibility! Let me add here.. i am far from perfect! I have struggled time and time again, hence why i am a part of these boards!

Read the boards before surgery from newbies! And what they have experienced immediately following surgery. Every experience is different but you will know what you can expect, and if it does not happen to you.. Guess what? You are one of the Lucky ones!!! Count your blessings! Each and every one of them! Each day is a new day and a chance to put in a little extra effort to meet your end goals.

Speaking of Goals! Have some! NSV ones, scale Ones, Measurement Ones... We all have something we look forward to on this journey. Make lemonade out of lemons! Have fun with your new tool. Take advantage of it and baby it at the same time.

Follow your doctors orders! We are not all doctors here! This is a major procedure. There are reasons the doctor puts us on the food plan that he does. It is not to punish us. It is to make sure we don't put a whole in the new stomach that is still stapled and healing.

Seek out a therapist if you are struggling with emotional eating. The folks on the boards can give tips, but you really need to get to the root of that, and that may require a doctor visit. Yes Accountability is a great factor to have on the boards, and it is great to vent, but if you are truly struggling with emotional eating, then you truly need to seek a provider in your area to help you get through it.

There is so much information, tips, and advice on the boards! Take advantage of it. Take time to read them! Be a part of the community and respond to others that may be having a down day.. It is expected! But please please before you take the plunge on this life changing surgery know what to expect. Know what might happen and be prepared for it along the way.

Rant over!

If you made it this far.. Thanks for reading. I just wish some folks would read up on something they are investing in and all the pros and complication possibilities so they know exactly how things may play out.

With all my love and a Merry Christmas to all..

Jazzy

Edited by Jazzy1125

Congrats girlie! You've graduated! I think you're old enough now to know about this...Area 51 here at BP. ;)

https://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/445-rants-amp-raves/

Use it well my friend! Use it well! :D

This was such a great post. It really is something to take seriously and I hate to see people treat as just another diet. There can be complications and has a major impact on the body.

You read my mind! I'm going to be honest, I've been annoyed at a lot of what I've been reading the last few days because so many of the issues people are having can be boiled down to a lack of research in the pre-surgery stage. I understand that you can't always be prepared for everything, but if you are having major surgery it's incredibly important that you take the time to learn about the procedure.

Love this direct approach and honesty. I waited 4 years to finally go through it this week.

Part of me was fighting the fear, the other not wanting to deal with things and the later part of me saying well it will help just do it...

It's great you all are here to bring reality to life...

Ok tomorrow broth, broth and broth... yummy...

Such a great post! I did lots of research before my surgery and even sat on it for 2 years before even discussing it with my primary care physician. I knew what to expect physically. However, I was totally unprepared for the emotional aspect of it. I was so depressed and regretted my decision for 2 months after surgery while I went through a "breakup" with food. Things got much easier and I'm very happy with my decision now but I have struggled during the holidays with making good choices. You have to make a conscious effort every day to choose to be healthy because it's sooo easy to slip back into bad habits!

Thank you for your advice

On 12/25/2018 at 12:52 AM, anonbaribabe said:

I'm going to be honest, I've been annoyed at a lot of what I've been reading the last few days because so many of the issues people are having can be boiled down to a lack of research in the pre-surgery stage.

Like wondering why they don't feel physically good enough to take on anything three days after surgery?

1 hour ago, summerset said:

Like wondering why they don't feel physically good enough to take on anything three days after surgery?

Exactly! It does make me wonder about the education provided pre-surgery for some patients. I know that my program was incredibly comprehensive, whereas a friend of mine who had surgery through a different hospital received much less info than I did.

On 12/22/2018 at 5:41 AM, Jazzy1125 said:

Gastric Surgery is a life changing surgery! It will change the rest of your life for the rest of your life. It is a physical change to your inner workings of your body.. and ONLY your body. It does not change how we deal with food. It does not change how we choose to eat. A choice is a choice that solely rests on our shoulders. Our stomach was changed on the inside to restrict the amount of food we can consume at one time. That is it!! The rest is up to us.

AMEN

1 hour ago, anonbaribabe said:

Exactly! It does make me wonder about the education provided pre-surgery for some patients.

Information or not - it always surprises me because after all: it's still surgery and would anyone expect being able to dance merrily down the hallway the day after e. g. an appendectomy? Or not having any pain?

Being at unease for a while after WLS and the general anesthesia that comes with it seems like something one doesn't need to be especially educated on. It's something common sense tells you.

41 minutes ago, summerset said:

Information or not - it always surprises me because after all: it's still surgery and would anyone expect being able to dance merrily down the hallway the day after e. g. an appendectomy? Or not having any pain?

Being at unease for a while after WLS and the general anesthesia that comes with it seems like something one doesn't need to be especially educated on. It's something common sense tells you.

You didn't hear? Common sense isn't common 😂

And neither is native wisdom nor One Size Fits All.