Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bread and Biscuits post op

I was making a great pizza pre-op using a low carb pita for crust. I would brush olive oil on top of the pita, add minced garlic, cut up cooked chicken and diced tomatoes with mozzarella cheese on top. It was delicious & healthy

@@Justoperated, I have to respectfully disagree about the effects of low carb dieting. While it is oh so true that weight regain is the common long term outcome, it is not true that low carb dieters lose mostly Water weight. I lost more than 110 lbs on the Atkins diet. No way was that Water weight.

Also, when I said that bread and biscuits are basically empty calories, I meant that compared to Protein foods and non-starchy vegetables, bread doesn't provide a lot of nutrition.

I love bread (and almost all starches) but during weight loss I just don't see the value.

I am certainly no expert in nutrition, so won't insist on anything I say. But i have generally found that carbs give me energy and that most of nutrition advice that I read b4 surgery recommended complex carbs as major portion, followed by Proteins and healthy fats.

I am certainly no expert in nutrition, so won't insist on anything I say. But i have generally found that carbs give me energy and that most of nutrition advice that I read b4 surgery recommended complex carbs as major portion, followed by Proteins and healthy fats.

General nutrition advice doesn't really apply post-WLS. While carbs can be a large part of a healthy diet when you are eating 2000+ calories a day, there isn't as much room for them in an 800 calorie a day diet. WLS patients are supposed to get as much or more Protein than healthy people while eating maybe 1/3 as much food. That means a much larger percentage of your total daily caloric intake needs to come from Protein. Most of the "healthy" calorie ratios I'd seen pre-surgery were something like 50% from carbs, 25% from fat and 25% from protein. Post-op, it needs to be more like 40-50% from protein, 25-30% from carbs, and 25-30% from fat.

A gram of protein has 4 calories. If I'm only eating 800 calories a day, that means half of my calories have to come from protein in order for me to achieve my nutritionist's requirement of 100 grams per day. That means I simply don't have enough room for many carbs. As I've said in previous posts in this thread, I am not at all anti-carb and I do not intentionally avoid carbs, I simply don't eat many carbs because I now live by the motto of "protein first" and that means carbs have taken a back seat.

Edited by JamieLogical

Is this what you've read in general or via your WLS NP?

im 4 months post op and ate an empanada last nite and brought back up an hour later.never again will I eat that again!!

im 4 months post op and ate an empanada last nite and brought back up an hour later.never again will I eat that again!!

And let this be a lesson.......to me. I tend to learn things the hard way.

And let this be a lesson.......to me. I tend to learn things the hard way.

Feel better! That sucks. Been there and it was wit some food that I thought was benign til my tummy said otherwise. LOLA live and learn!

Best wishes to you! ????

General nutrition advice doesn't really apply post-WLS. While carbs can be a large part of a healthy diet when you are eating 2000+ calories a day, there isn't as much room for them in an 800 calorie a day diet. WLS patients are supposed to get as much or more Protein than healthy people while eating maybe 1/3 as much food. That means a much larger percentage of your total daily caloric intake needs to come from Protein. Most of the "healthy" calorie ratios I'd seen pre-surgery were something like 50% from carbs, 25% from fat and 25% from protein. Post-op, it needs to be more like 40-50% from protein, 25-30% from carbs, and 25-30% from fat.

A gram of protein has 4 calories. If I'm only eating 800 calories a day, that means half of my calories have to come from protein in order for me to achieve my nutritionist's requirement of 100 grams per day. That means I simply don't have enough room for many carbs. As I've said in previous posts in this thread, I am not at all anti-carb and I do not intentionally avoid carbs, I simply don't eat many carbs because I now live by the motto of "protein first" and that means carbs have taken a back seat.

I do appreciate your point now, reading that 100g of chicken has only 25-30 G protein and 219 calories, one needs 300Grams of chicken daily to reach 70-90 gram protein goal and that much chicken will give 660 Calories.

I do appreciate your point now, reading that 100g of chicken has only 25-30 G Protein and 219 calories, one needs 300Grams of chicken daily to reach 70-90 gram Protein goal and that much chicken will give 660 Calories.

Yep! It just boils down to math. In order to get all of your protein in and considering that most protein comes with at least SOME fat, there just isn't a lot of room left for carbs. If you are supplementing with Protein shakes or bars, those usually come with SOME carbs, but most meat sources don't have any carbs unless they are breaded or sauced. Right now all of my carbs come from Protein Bars and any breading or sauce on my meat Entrees. I don't have room for side dishes or toppings or bread/rolls for a sandwich. I have meat with some sort of seasoning or sauce and that's all I have room for.

Girl, a crouton. A CROUTON got stuck in me for a good 2 hours. I thought I was being slick and snuck in a crouton as I prepared a salad for my partner. HA.

Since then, I only eat flat pretzels or saltines and that is only because it is holding some kind of Protein on it. I pile up the Protein on it. I can barely fit 3 saltines. Two is comfortable. Also, saltines breaks down fast and doesn't get stuck like other things do. (Like that darn crouton).

So, if you must, eat a wheat toast, a small one. But biscuits? I don't know honey,but that is just asking for trouble. Biscuits is full of butter or lard or both. There is nothing nutritional about it . Sure, it taste like heaven on wheels but, those same darn things is what got you (us) into this mess to begin with. I say, embrace a new way of eating. If you must have toast, have a healthy one.

Has any one heard of or tried cloud bread? I found it on Pinterest and if says low carb or no carbs depending on which recipe you click on. I was just wondering how it taste.

I've seen it too. But I haven't tried it.