Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bread and Biscuits post op

Old habits die hard. No one here can say they haven't been tempted by a " food of the past", it's just normal to want what you use to eat until you find an alternative way to eat. Heck. I crave Peanut Butter like a mad man, I tried it yesterday. Still delicious as ever. But I realize there are to many calories and fat grams. I'd rather not waste my calories on that. ( I'd eat jars of it weekly before I started my pre-op diet)

@beachgirl184

That's me too! No nausea or vomiting. Nothing bothers me....ever! I wish it did lol

It's amazing how different we all can be when we have had the same surgery. I, too have not found anything that disagrees with me. Of course, I haven't tried a bunch of things that might bother me -- like bread and rice -- but I suspect that if I tried them, they'd go down fine. On my birthday, which was 5 months out from surgery, I ate chocolate cake. It was a very small amount, but it caused no gastric problem at all. My nutritionist warned me that I might not tolerate fibrous vegetables like celery. Wrong. So far, nothing that is within my plan has bothered me and the few things that are outside of my plan that I have tried have gone down fine as well.

Am I lucky or unlucky?

Nothing has made me sick and everything tastes and smells as good to me as it did before. But I've been super committed to the concept of "protein first" and by the time I eat my Protein, I just don't have room for anything else. The few times I've eaten carbs or sweets, it's been at the expense of not getting my protein in so I don't allow that to happen often.

My surgeon says no bread, crackers or Pasta for six months after surgery. The nutritionist stated that those products turn into a Gummy paste in your stomach and that's the last thing they want in there.

Old habits die hard. No one here can say they haven't been tempted by a " food of the past", it's just normal to want what you use to eat until you find an alternative way to eat. Heck. I crave Peanut Butter like a mad man, I tried it yesterday. Still delicious as ever. But I realize there are to many calories and fat grams. I'd rather not waste my calories on that. ( I'd eat jars of it weekly before I started my pre-op diet)

Off topic a bit... like you I love peanut butter but not the fat or calories. Have you tried PB2? It's fabulous! I buy it through Amazon because it's so much cheaper but have seen it in the peanut butter section of my supermarket. All the flavor none of the fat and 45 calories for 2 tablespoons ???? it's delicious on apple slices.

I ordered a egg mc muffin today and fed 1/2 the English muffin to

The dog. It sat a

Little heavy. I will

Do 1/4 piece of

Muffin next

I eat a little of everything. I refuse to treat my life like a failed diet. The entire point of WLS is to learn how to eat properly and in balance and moderation. This takes retraining your brain in viewing food as a way to put nutrients in your body not a pleasure point. Not as a comfort or a trigger for happiness.

There is room for everything in moderation. We live in the real world and so we must learn how to eat in the real world. There are things I cannot eat now that I could before but I have worked around that. I do eat a little Pasta, rice and bread. But I limit them. I always eat my Protein first then veggies. If I have room a little carb is taken in as well.

My Nut told me that we need to be healthy and treat this as a new way of living. Everything in moderation! If you find you over eat carbs then I guess you stay clear of them until you are in a better place mentally. Some never reach that comfort zone. I understand that completely.

I eat normally. Like a thin person. And that includes bread. For me it is okay. :)

Because I'm not at my goal weight yet, I have a different approach than many others. I figure we'll all have to learn how to eat "normally" eventually, so why not plan to learn it from our goal/comfort weight, rather than slowing ourselves down along the way? Stumbles and setbacks are far less painful (physically, mentally and emotionally) when we're at a place where we're comfortable in our skin. That way, if you try expanding your food list and a few pounds come back on, you only have to lose those few pounds and not "all the rest" too. By the way.... When I asked my doctor about how to eat in maintenance, he suggested only adding back carbs that you'd cook for a meal (brown rice, sweet potato, pasta) and not anything you'd go to the pantry for a handful (or slice) of. Once our bodies have gotten used to being at the new weight, maybe then it's time to be a little more adventurous. But for the rest of my life I'll try to always eat Protein first, veggies second, and (except around mealtime) fluids, fluids, fluids....

I'm only 2 days post op so still on liquids but before the surgery, I got in the habit of buying the flat bread or bagel flats & would only eat 1/2 toasted with an egg or tuna or chicken salad on top. This way your still getting your bread but it's a flat piece

I was missing "toast" in the early months so I had two subtitutes. the first was these little bits of cheese "fried" in a non stick pan. sounds wacky, but they made like fake little crackers and tasted so good without the swelling up that bread can do. I think that was an eggface recipe, but i don't recall! I also used crackers.

I feel that bread takes up way too much room in a newly sleeved tummy so it surprises me they are encouraging adding it in so soon but of course I am not an expert (I only know about me!). It is my personal opinion, that foods that make you vomit should be avoided until later. I do not think it is desirable to vomit regularly and for most of it is behaviorally avoidable.

It is true that I currently watch carbs and I limit (not avoid, just limit) bread even 3 years out from surgery but that isn't even my point. It has to do with maximizing the nutritional value of what you can eat without overfilling your sleeve in the early weeks.

Edited by CowgirlJane

I don't think bread is "empty" calories. Carbs have always been an important part of human food since ages, its just plain sugars that are bad. I think there is excessive emphasis on Proteins, forgetting about healthy carbs and fats. I went on high Protein and low carb diet few years ago, lost a lot of weight, but gained it back equally quickly. On reading about a bit, I found high Protein diet without much Carbs makes you pee more, and one loses more Water weight than lean weight. Also it generates more acid in the body, which weakens the bones and reduces body Calcium.

@@Justoperated, I have to respectfully disagree about the effects of low carb dieting. While it is oh so true that weight regain is the common long term outcome, it is not true that low carb dieters lose mostly Water weight. I lost more than 110 lbs on the Atkins diet. No way was that Water weight.

Also, when I said that bread and biscuits are basically empty calories, I meant that compared to Protein foods and non-starchy vegetables, bread doesn't provide a lot of nutrition.

I love bread (and almost all starches) but during weight loss I just don't see the value.

I agree with previous post. I LOVE carby food but I recognize that it must be kept in check. I am pleased for everyone that finds success without concerns for carbs but that isn't my reality. I lost the first hundred or so without worrying about carbs but for me to get to normal size...well... I needed to limit carbs.

I am completely fine with people disagreeing - I am simply sharing my reality.