Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bread and Biscuits post op

I had gastric sleeve surgery 12/29/2014. I was recently cleared to have bread again. My NUT said to have toast. She said I could also wait longer if I wanted to. I'm afraid to try bread because I have heard it doesn't go well post op. I don't know if it causes pain, vomiting etc? I was offered a biscuit this AM. I used to love biscuits but I

was afraid to have it so I threw it away. Can anyone give advice about bread and biscuits post op? So far I have

done well with my sleeve but I have measured everything and I have been careful. What kind of symptoms happen when you eat bread or biscuits?

I had surgery the same day as you. And since I haven't been able to hold down shakes since the surgery

I have been trying an assortment of food. bread does not seem to be my friend.. It is the one thing that

sends me running for the Bathroom. It feels like I swallow it and it immediately stops half way down and

starts absorbing things and bloating up...Anything that would absorb Fluid (Bread, biscuit, dumpling,

some Cereal, breading on shrimp,) seem to be a no go for now...I have been able to eat a few chips and

am trying wheat thins very slowly right now to try to eat Egg salad with! Good Luck and let me know if

you find something that works...

When you begin to add things that are likely to swell up like bread and biscuits, try your first taste without additional foods, (I know, Protein first, but don't over fill your stomach till you know how you tolerate bread if ya know what I mean). Today, I can eat 1 egg on 1/2 piece of toast or 1/2 biscuit, or 1/2 english muffin in a kind of open faced sandwich, but it fills me to the brim. The other 1/2... Forget about it!

When you begin to add things that are likely to swell up like bread and biscuits, try your first taste without additional foods, (I know, Protein first, but don't over fill your stomach till you know how you tolerate bread if ya know what I mean). Today, I can eat 1 egg on 1/2 piece of toast or 1/2 biscuit, or 1/2 english muffin in a kind of open faced sandwich, but it fills me to the brim. The other 1/2... Forget about it!

Title - "Bread and Biscuits post op" <-------- my response.....WHY? :huh:

Why on earth would one put bread or any such empty calories into your body when getting as much Protein as we all need and a few veggies is so much better, and helps weight loss so much more? I totally get the cravings thing, and I have one tiny square of dark chocolate each night, but it is smaller than the size of a crouton – and if I have anything like bread, rice, potatoes, or the like – my weight-loss slows considerably. I guess part of my thinking is to ask why one would want to be able to eat what we used to eat when we didn't like the effect it had on our weight? Think of the trouble you're having with bread as a great benefit maybe! In any case, be careful with it and good luck to you in finding what works and is safe and healthy for you to eat.

Edited by katesuccess

i get that we don't all have to be on low carb diets forever. Some people can eat carbs without ill effects. (I'm not one of them.) But when your ability to eat is so restricted, it's important to maximize the nutritional value of what you can eat. bread and biscuits are pretty much empty calories. I'd set them aside for now and concentrate on Protein and non-starchy vegetables.

I am 6 weeks post op and was cleared to have toast at 3 weeks. I do enjoy a piece with an egg a couple of times a week. I have had no problems with any food I have eaten including the toast. Don't eat bread since it can expand in the tum or so my nut told me.

Hasn't slowed my weight loss thus far but if it would thats something I would adjust in the future if I felt it was necessary. I'm not in a race but a journey. I see people saying they allow themselves a piece of chocolate as their indulgence for all the hard work they are doing. That doesn't interest me lol. The egg and toast is my indulgence ????

I am 6 weeks post op and was cleared to have toast at 3 weeks. I do enjoy a piece with an egg a couple of times a week. I have had no problems with any food I have eaten including the toast. Don't eat bread since it can expand in the tum or so my nut told me.

Hasn't slowed my weight loss thus far but if it would thats something I would adjust in the future if I felt it was necessary. I'm not in a race but a journey. I see people saying they allow themselves a piece of chocolate as their indulgence for all the hard work they are doing. That doesn't interest me lol. The egg and toast is my indulgence

I have never tried Toast, Because I experienced the Bread swelling.. But I guess I am confused that the Bread will swell but the Toast won't...I to would like to have the egg/toast. . I need the Protein..

I don't really have any room for bread still (5 months out). A few times recently, I have made myself an open-faced egg sandwich with one piece of Pepperidge Farm Light Style Whole Wheat Bread (it's teeny tiny... thin sliced and only maybe 3x3"?). I haven't been able to eat the whole piece of toast once. Best I've done is about 3/4? And I feel SOOOOOOOOO full after. The only other bread-like thing I've attempted is a mini whole wheat pita with Peanut Butter. They are about 3" diameter, but I cut them in half. Haven't even TRIED to eat a whole one.

There is no reason you cannot have bread, biscuits, or any other food you want in moderation. The point is to live like a normal person, not spend the rest of your life obsessing over whether you get your Protein in first. If you want a biscuit one day, then good for you, eat one. That being said...bread hates me most of the time so it's not really on my list of foods I like eating.

You're far enough out from surgery where you should be able to try anything you want. The trick is to take one or two bites of something new without adding anything else in to the meal. So..if you want to see if bread makes you sick, sit down with a piece of bread, and very slowly nibble on it. Bread tends to make people sick because they eat too much, too quickly, and it gets all soggy and expands in your stomach. You will eventually find foods that you can eat, and some that just don't go well. For example, I am now 16 months out and I tried eating an egg white with a piece of toast this morning. I ate maybe half of it and then spent the next hour barfing.

If you take it slowly, you can figure out what your sleeve does and doesn't like and you're now far enough out from surgery where you aren't going to hurt yourself if you eat something that makes you a little sick.

Good luck!

I agree its a blessing that I can't eat bread like I did before the surgery. I also agree with the person who said chocolate is not their indulgence. I actually don't like chocolate or dessert

much. My indulgence would be bread or biscuits but I'm going to try toast first but I think I'll

wait longer before I try it. I sure like this site and how willing everyone is to help.

I have never tried Toast, Because I experienced the bread swelling.. But I guess I am confused that the Bread will swell but the Toast won't...I to would like to have the egg/toast. . I need the protein..

I was told that toasting draws the moisture out of the bread so it is less likely to swell in your tummy. I have only eaten it toasted and that hasn't caused any problems for me. Haven't eaten regular bread, rolls, etc so don't know about that from personal experience.

Title - "Bread and Biscuits post op" <-------- my response.....WHY? :huh:

Yup.

Why try bread (and worse, biscuits) at all? They do nothing for you nutritionally.

Edit to add: I don't mean forever, but why rush it? You don't need bread or biscuits and eventually you may be able to eat them comfortably. I can't at 20 months out but many can.

Don't rush the less nutritious choices. They will still be there next month, next year...

Unfortunately I have yet to find anything my stomach does not like. I haven't had one moment of nausea since leaving the hospital :(

I know that might sound like a dream to those that can hardly keep anything down but it makes the journey much harder. Oh well, I'll be stronger for it in the end.

That being said, I think everybody has been right so far, cause it's going to be different for each of us. I never knew (or thought about it really) that about toast not swelling, I'll have to keep it in mind. As for biscuits, I wouldn't waste my stomach space. I had some beef stew last night and out of sheer craving dipped a piece of BBQ bread in the broth and ate a couple bites. Immediately regretted it because I didn't have room for my meat and therefore lost Protein. Paid for it this morning when the scale didn't budge. You'll find you have to learn to break the habit of justifying food just as much as the habit of eating without reason. I justified that bread because I wanted it using the excuse that I have been working my a** off in the gym. Now I have to work on getting my mind to understand that I'm working my a** off for a result, not extra allowances!

Good Luck, sorry for the rambling.