Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Surgery Thread - we rock!

Hello there! My surgery is 12/30/2014. I am very excited for a fresh start of my life. I have high BP, GERD, insomnia, and some bad back issues. My last straw was when the neurologist said that a spinal fusion was my only option. I refused the surgery and chose to finally do something about my weight. I really look forward to being off all of these medications. I want to play with my babies and not pay for it in pain later. I am ecstatic about my future. I am excited for all of you. I appreciate you all sharing the good and bad of what I will be facing soon.

Hello there! My surgery is 12/30/2014. I am very excited for a fresh start of my life. I have high BP, GERD, insomnia, and some bad back issues. My last straw was when the neurologist said that a spinal fusion was my only option. I refused the surgery and chose to finally do something about my weight. I really look forward to being off all of these medications. I want to play with my babies and not pay for it in pain later. I am ecstatic about my future. I am excited for all of you. I appreciate you all sharing the good and bad of what I will be facing soon.

I'm in the same boat as you the the back issue. One struggle for me has been pain medications management since i had already been on pain meds for a year before surgery and have developed a tolerance. I'm now struggling to get off painkillers all together and finding it quite difficult as I still have some back pain and my body is just used to the dose. It hate those things and hopefully you don't have the same issue.

My pain management slash back doctor wanted to give me shots in my spine. He tried to convince me that rny was a bad idea as he sped away in his corvette. Back doctors are not to be trusted and back surgery is a no win situation. No way in hell am I going to let someone stick a needle in my spinal cord before I try and lose weight.

Also, two weeks out of surgery I have lost a huge amount of inflammation all over my body. I feel this was contributing to my pain and I feel so much better, you will too!!

Let's keep in touch I want to see how your back does as you move along.

Do you have insomnia baca use of back pain? Sadly this is one issue that hasn't gotten better for me yet but I'm only two weeks out. I used to be a stomach sleeper and I've never slept well on my side which I'm forced to do because of my belly. I look forward to being able to do this again!

My issue is a herniated disk in my lower back which is most painful when I sit down.

Hello all, I was 12/11, I am lucky because I feel amazing! My name is Jen, I'm 38 was 245 DOS, now 223.2, Goal 150. My only concern so far is I can get down protein/water with zero problems. I can drink a bottle of Water in about 15 min. I am wondering if I even had the sleeve sometimes! I can eat 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, no problems. I read about people who cannot drink or eat, I was hoping that I would have been full after a couple bites. Nervous that I will be in the rare group that just doesn't not have the "fullness" and I will not lose the weight. Is this crazy? Does anyone feel soooooook good, almost too good?

@@bellabloom

I have been going to pain management for over a year and I have that fear that I have tolerance and that the pain will be unbearable when I get switched to the liquid pain meds for the surgery. I let them do 2 epidurals and both were horrible. It caused more pain both times. I was in the bed in tears for about 2 weeks each time. I should have never let him talk me into the second one. He still wanted me to do a third one. No way in the world will I ever do that again. My RNY surgeon said that he thinks I will be able to come off most of my meds for my back and I pray that is the case. Knowing you have gone through this and you feel some pain improvement is so encouraging. I am so over hurting all the time. I hate that I need these pain meds. Keep in touch!

Hey there, I am 5 days post op, and the pain is just now tolerable. Since I have back issues, the majority of my pain is in my back since I am still too sore to turn side to side. The day of surgery my weight was 261 and as of now I am 256. It's crazy how some of my taste buds have changed already, I really enjoyed my ujury shake prior to surgery, now I hate the taste of them. vanilla Premier Protein, with SF flavorings has been my saving grace. I have to admit, up to this point the gas pains have been the worst. My life in a nutshell right now is walk, sip, walks, sip, walks, sip.

Edited by coastalchick

Hey there its so nice to see new posts. I was expecting for my surgery this month but I was pushed back due to Iron & Vitamin D deficiency. I currently weight about 300lbs about 5'-5" and is 27yrs old. Ive pcos, itp, insomnia, ibs, gerd, & sleep apnea. Whats left right? Anyway ive my Mandetory appmnts next month with dietician, psych evaluation and my surgeon appmnt on the 30th of jan. Ive researching for almost two years. I feel very much prepared at this point. Read ans joined over hundreds of threads and forums as well. Im anxious, nervous, and very scared all at the same time..but hearing recent stories helps a lot. Can anyone tell me with RNY, what are the mandetory supplements you must always take? Im so proud of all u guys im taking this huge step in life. Oh and Happy Holidays Everyone!

@@JEN8

Hey! I had the same concern. I had my surgery on the 17th and can drink Water and eat yogurt without feeling 'full'. However, look at your weight loss so far! And without feeling hungry, we just stop at the recommended amounts and teach our bodies what is enough. You will still loose. Speaking from past experience with my Lapband, I hated that feeling of too much and it hurt so bad. That has been the most pleasant effect of my bypass so far is that feeling being gone. I keep looking for reassurance from my husband but he just reminds me of the scale. I was 299 the day of surgery and am 284 today (7 days later). Good luck!!

Thank, TexasCurves, you're right! I need to embrace how wonderful and work at using tool for lifestyle change. Thank you for the message! Happy Holdiays

@@KittyKatt, I am very excited for you! RNY has been the best decision of my life. I am only taking 1 prescription now and that is a thyroid replacement as I have hypothyroidism. I was taking 5 more before surgery!

As far as Vitamins go I take the following vitamins at the requirement of my surgeon: 1 Multivitamin, 3 calcium chews, 1 Vitamin D, and 1 B12. The B12 is only required weekly but I take it daily as it gives you energy and any extra is released in your urine.

I have not had any issues with Iron at this point but if that happens, I wll need to add iron and Vitamin C.< /p>

I will say taking vitamins is not a big deal and I would trade that for all those crappy meds and day of the week.

@Djmohr...thank u so much for responding. Im glad to hear that it has worked out for u. I hope I feel the same in the end. I originally had my heart set on the sleeve but with all of my joint and back pain and especially gerds and after some more reading, it turns out that RYN is a much better option for me. Those supplements are not that bad. I was under the impression that I'd have to take more than that daily. Well thats great to know. =) how long have you been post op?

Merry Christmas Everyone! Had surgery on 12/16 and am feeling great! I am down 15 lb's since surgery day and have not regretted my decision for one second. My energy is improved as well, I find myself wide awake at 4:30 am and ready to start my day! Hope you all are doing well!????

My stomach is really bothering me. It feels really cranky and ouchie, kind of sharp jabbing pains and a lot of cramps. Anyone experienced this?

It hurts more when I eat. I am only able to eat About 200 cals. 3 weeks out

Nice thread! My name is Anthony and I had my surgery on December 9th. My only complication was my esophagus was punctured with the breathing tube. It caused air in my neck and a delay with my first "meal" along with an extra night at the hospital. Once home and after pain under control it's been a smooth sailing.

I've started scrambled eggs in the morning and tuna at lunch. Still using Protein shakes to get Protein number up. On multi-Vitamin, B-complex, Iron, and Biotin (for hair support).

Hi everyone I'm Vanessa just had surgery 12-9. Really not what I expected and I'm getting frustrated with pain, having to consume Protein (shakes are killing me already), and drinking so much Water. I have been dehydrated for the past 3-4 days so I had to consume a god awful amount of Water today( working on my 4th 32oz cup). I have no choice but to hang in but OMG I need this part to end already!!

I know this wil pay off in the end and I will laugh about this!! Sorry for the rant!! Good luck to everyone!!!

How are you doing now? We share surgery dates by the way. I hope the shakes have gone easier on you and you're getting enough water too.

I'm doing better just lots of emotions right now. One of my incisions is bothering big time but the doc says everything looks good. How are things for you. The Protein intake is still hard for me!