Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Surgery Thread - we rock!

@allisonnoelle I did feel mildly embarrassed in the hospital about my weight, but there is no use in fretting over it. What's done is done and I am proud that I took the necessary steps to correct my weight and health problems.

Weight in our culture is presented as something we can and should control, but that simply isn't the case. If it was so easy to chose to lose weight don't you think most overweight people would be successful on diets!? I am extremely successful at most everything I do in life- career education family etc. and I could not win this battle no matter how hard I tried!!! The "put your fork down and shut your mouth" mentality is cruel and clearly coming from people who have not struggled with their weight. If food for us is simply an addiction, a surgery like rny would be dangerous because we would continue to stuff ourselves regardless of the surgery, but we don't. Rny works.

Why do think? Because overeating is not just a mental choice. It is a powerful biological urge controlled by our stomach and hormones and blood sugar. Obesity is a disease, it is not a choice. It is also a cultural problem- we are served plates of food that are three times more than we need, and most of our social events revolve around food.

It's a huge mind f**k!

Look at how many people are overweight in America. Do you think it's because they are all lazy gluttons? No. It is a problem with our culture, the food industry itself, the way food is marketing to us, the horrendous amount of tv we watch, and once we become overweight it is a problem of the way our bodies are wired to preserve our current weight at all costs.

Our bodies are evolved to hold onto any excess weight!!

Eating was somewhat your choice, I know. But it's more complex than you think and it's not all your fault. Not even close. So before you feel shame or guilt over your weight, know that you had an illness and you should be proud that you were willing to do what you needed to do to recover from it.

Edited by bellabloom

Hey you. Wow you really are not eating. Why? Does it make you feel bad or hurt? I'm worried about how little your getting. I haven't been eating much either but I can get a few sips of Protein shake, strained Tomato Soup, yogurt, here and there throughout the day. And as I do eat it's getting easier to eat more. I can tell I'm full because I get the hiccups.

Are you scared to try? Don't be. It's not that bad. Start experimenting because you need to work through the phases to get your pouch ready for solids. You don't have to eat much, just a few bites and work up from there. I can give your more ideas if you like.

Yesterday I did better I had half a Protein Shake and a scrambled egg white. I just have no desire to eat. Water keeps me content. I'm trying to work through this. My recovery has been great till this point so I guess I was due for a struggle lol

Hi everyone I had my RNY with silastic ring surgery 12-9-14 everything went great I started out 356 and I'm weighing in at 330 now. it was was way more painful than I had anticipated but I'm still dealing with a ton of pain through my left side and my back. Is anyone feeling shame for how they got themselves? I've been feeling really ashamed and embarrassed that I let myself go to this point. Would be interested to hear thoughts

My weight gain happened over the course of 15 years due to a traumatic life event, I finally received the right help to deal with correct diagnoses and then as a last step decided to deal with my weight. I fortunately didn't have any health issues besides my weight and some tolerable back issues. I wanted to act before things did get worse for me to lead a healthy life to be able to watch my daughter grow up. I never was treated differently because of my weight till the past few years my inlaws make comments, now they talk about how great I look since I've been losing weight and it sorta makes me mad coming from them lol.

Hi everyone I had my RNY with silastic ring surgery 12-9-14 everything went great I started out 356 and I'm weighing in at 330 now. it was was way more painful than I had anticipated but I'm still dealing with a ton of pain through my left side and my back. Is anyone feeling shame for how they got themselves? I've been feeling really ashamed and embarrassed that I let myself go to this point. Would be interested to hear thoughts

My back is killing me. I had surgery on December 15th. Everytime I drink my stomach hurts for a few seconds. Everytime it does this does not matter what I drink. I wish i could hit fast forward to get past this point. Trying to stay hydrated even with the pain. We will all get through this. Anybody else have a pain in the stomach area when they swallow liquid clear only?

My name is Ray. My surgery is scheduled for December 31st. Great way to spend New Year's Eve and start out the New Year. Wish all my fellow December Sleevers all the best and a successful 2015.

Edited by EnjoyingInsanity

I advanced my diet to include eggs and refried Beans today, after 2 weeks on liquids. I just couldn't stand it anymore!! I'm a little scared about it!!! Both because I am nervous I'll be in pain later and because eating kind of scares me- I hate to halt the amazing weight loss I'm having but I'm afraid I've been eating too little at 200 calls per day, and I haven't come close to my Protein requirements on liquids. Today I had 360 calories- I know it's nothing but I'm just so scared my rny won't work and I'll fall back into old habits.

Anyone else felt or feeling that way?

I am 10 days out and have no energy and when I think about how little we eat I feel this must be why. How's your energy?

It's still pretty low but getting better!! It's tough not going to lie. :)

I advanced my diet to include eggs and refried Beans today, after 2 weeks on liquids. I just couldn't stand it anymore!! I'm a little scared about it!!! Both because I am nervous I'll be in pain later and because eating kind of scares me- I hate to halt the amazing weight loss I'm having but I'm afraid I've been eating too little at 200 calls per day, and I haven't come close to my Protein requirements on liquids. Today I had 360 calories- I know it's nothing but I'm just so scared my rny won't work and I'll fall back into old habits.

Anyone else felt or feeling that way?

Omg I scared to eat too i feel like of i eat I'll gain weight or stop losing weight. Help!! We need help on this!.

I am 10 days out and have no energy and when I think about how little we eat I feel this must be why. How's your energy?

I'm 18 days out and my energy is super low

Hello Bellabloom! I had RNY on 12/10. SW 228, CW 231.5. Not sure why I haven't lost. Maybe the anesthesia gas?

I'm not sure either! Have you called your nut and doctor? I don't think the fluids would stay in effect so long. I would put a call in you should be losing at least something by now. :) hang in there!

Edited by bellabloom

Have a great day everyone!! May you skinny cells defeat your fat cells!!! :)

post-235696-14189973466965_thumb.jpg

post-235696-14189975196921_thumb.jpg

Edited by bellabloom

He Bellabloom!

Not sure how it happened, but I am down to my starting weight as of this morning (228)

I have my 2nd followup on 12/29. I feel confident, I will be down even more.

Thanks!

How does feeling full feel to you ladies? It's so weird for me. It's not like I expected!