Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Surgery Thread - we rock!

Hi everyone. I'm Bella and I'm starting this thread for those of us having our surgery December 2014.

How is everyone doing? Tell a little bit about yourself and how your surgery went, or if it's coming up still.

Let's keep in touch as we progress throughout the next phase.

A great way to kick in the new year!!

My surgery was December 4th and although I had some rough moments all in all I had no complications.

I had this surgery because of back pain issues and I was already on pain meds so that part was harder for me, I had a lot more pain that usual.

My stats are 5'6, sw 240, cw 224, age 34. 2 kids, single, have been overweight since my first pregnancy.

I am about 12 days or so out and went out for the first time today. Felt like a baby calf learning to walk. My incisions are healing up nicely!

I have been eating some Protein Shakes, yogurt, tea, crystal light, and strained Soups. The mental need to eat has been a little rough but it seems to be going away somewhat. I find it hard to be around food or see someone eating. My biggest craving has been for a sandwich! Today I had Decaf coffee and it was Wonderful.

My goals this year are to get to goal weight, start working out again, and get off pain meds.

Introduce yourself!!

Edited by bellabloom

Hi friend, I had my revision from band to sleeve on the 8th of December. I'm pleased with my progress. I'm healing well and enjoying my Protein Shakes, cream Soups and yogurts. I'm down 13 pounds. I am able to kind of lay on my side which is great!

Hope all are happy and healthy. It doesn't bother me to see others eat. I am excited about eating an egg eventually.

Hi Everyone,

My surgery is this Wednesday 12/17. I'm getting excited/nervous but finding this forum has been a great thing for me. I know that most preops have the same thoughts leading up to surgery but it's just nice to confirm that I'm not the only one.

Glad to hear you are all doing well. I hope the same goes for me.

I'm sure you'll be seeing me around here plenty!

Mike

Best wishes to you mile!

Hey guys!! I am having my band converted to a bypass tomorrow! I am super excited for this next step. Hope all is well with everyone. =)

Hi everyone I'm Vanessa just had surgery 12-9. Really not what I expected and I'm getting frustrated with pain, having to consume Protein (shakes are killing me already), and drinking so much Water. I have been dehydrated for the past 3-4 days so I had to consume a god awful amount of Water today( working on my 4th 32oz cup). I have no choice but to hang in but OMG I need this part to end already!!

I know this wil pay off in the end and I will laugh about this!! Sorry for the rant!! Good luck to everyone!!!

Edited by vinnie1717

Hey all

Had my RNY on December 1st. Had a bit of complications but today is day 16 and I'm feeling sooo much better! Still struggling with protien intake and drinking enough. Tried a little puree tuna with saltine crackers today and it was ok but have had an after taste all day. Really haven't been hungry though. Tomorrow I'll try more puree options and maybe an egg. Glad we're all in the sane stages hope to keep in touch

Hi !

I had surgery on Dec 8. As far as pain .I'm off meds since Friday. I'm currently at the start of day 8. I'm little dehydrated because not getting enough fluids. I do have sensitivity to. ordors. It took me by surprise . Anyone else having this issue?

Hang in there ladies. The pain can be rough, I really needed the pain meds until day 11 or so, especially in the middle of the night.

I think we all agree the Protein shake phase sucks. Honestly, my nut said not to worry at all about getting all 70 grams at this stage. She said focus on Water and Fluid above all else. I have been drinking about 12 oz of Protein sake or less a day, and having strained mini stroni and chili, activia YUM sugar free fat free yogurt, crystal light, Tomato Soup and not much else. I'm not worried about food until phase two.

A few times I have had to chew some food and spit it out. You would be amazed how much this helped me. The sensation of chewing and the taste of regular food is a huge relief. I know it's gross but it helped me and now the desire to do even that is passing. I don't think much about food. I'm guessing it's like going through withdrawals in a way- it takes some time but our bodies and mind adjust and we start to adapt.

Just relax and heal. Drink your Water. Your body has plenty of fat to burn but without water your in danger. Keep that pee light yellow!

Edited by bellabloom

Hi All,

I had my surgery on December 8th and am doing well. My surgeon left a G-Tube? in me for 6 weeks which I can use if I feel that I didn't get enough Water or Protein in. They have been doing this for a few years as they found that many struggled with dehydration and ended up back in the hospital. They also found that because of the dehydration, people were tired and didn't have a successful start at this new life. I do appreciate having this backup just in case I don't have a good day with my Proteins or water.

I have lost 16 lbs since the 8th and already my face is changing which is even weird to me. I keep doing a double take when I'm in fornt of a mirror.

I wish you all success.

Judi

Hi everyone, my surgery was 12/1. Everything went great. I'm struggling right now with putting anything in me besides water/crystal light or ice pops. I've eaten 4 times maybe. No Protein Shakes. I'm gonna try tomorrow with Protein and count it towards my liquid intake I guess even tho my NUT said it doesn't. I watch my family eat and cook for them and it doesn't phase me. I did pull some cheese & sauce of pizza because that's my kryptonite lol.

Hi everyone, my surgery was 12/1. Everything went great. I'm struggling right now with putting anything in me besides water/crystal light or ice pops. I've eaten 4 times maybe. No Protein shakes. I'm gonna try tomorrow with Protein and count it towards my liquid intake I guess even tho my NUT said it doesn't. I watch my family eat and cook for them and it doesn't phase me. I did pull some cheese & sauce of pizza because that's my kryptonite lol.

Hey you. Wow you really are not eating. Why? Does it make you feel bad or hurt? I'm worried about how little your getting. I haven't been eating much either but I can get a few sips of Protein shake, strained Tomato Soup, yogurt, here and there throughout the day. And as I do eat it's getting easier to eat more. I can tell I'm full because I get the hiccups.

Are you scared to try? Don't be. It's not that bad. Start experimenting because you need to work through the phases to get your pouch ready for solids. You don't have to eat much, just a few bites and work up from there. I can give your more ideas if you like.

Hi everyone I had my RNY with silastic ring surgery 12-9-14 everything went great I started out 356 and I'm weighing in at 330 now. it was was way more painful than I had anticipated but I'm still dealing with a ton of pain through my left side and my back. Is anyone feeling shame for how they got themselves? I've been feeling really ashamed and embarrassed that I let myself go to this point. Would be interested to hear thoughts