Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Australian Bandsters Chat Thread

thi Im getting my band this thursday at Warringal Pvte in Heidelberg. was goign to be the Epworth but was changed. thats fine with me,, a lot further to go but doesnt matter. these last two days im really struggling sticking to the optifast.... picking at nights.. cheese/bread/meat.. but it only makes me hungrier. help. i dont want to fail after the surgery. i know i won thave a problem with wine beer soft drinks or icecream as i dont like any of those,,,

ive already lost weight dont know how much as i dont own scales. but i have dropped a dress size.

couple of questions

what is the point of going out for the dinner the night before. doesnt make sense to me..

after surgery some posts on this site say they dont lose any weight till the fill? which i understand is a month later. others say they lost but surely that would only be Fluid, and put it back on as soon as start solid foods?

Iave waited since jUly last year for this op and its been so long. i dont want to muck it up.

looking for friends and support out there.

cheers and kind regards

judy. melbourne

thi Im getting my band this thursday at Warringal Pvte in Heidelberg. was goign to be the Epworth but was changed. thats fine with me,, a lot further to go but doesnt matter. these last two days im really struggling sticking to the optifast.... picking at nights.. cheese/bread/meat.. but it only makes me hungrier. help. i dont want to fail after the surgery. i know i won thave a problem with wine beer soft drinks or icecream as i dont like any of those,,,

ive already lost weight dont know how much as i dont own scales. but i have dropped a dress size.

couple of questions

what is the point of going out for the dinner the night before. doesnt make sense to me..

after surgery some posts on this site say they dont lose any weight till the fill? which i understand is a month later. others say they lost but surely that would only be Fluid, and put it back on as soon as start solid foods?

Iave waited since jUly last year for this op and its been so long. i dont want to muck it up.

looking for friends and support out there.

cheers and kind regards

judy. melbourne

Judy,

Firstly, I am only very new to the Lap Band, so take my opinion for what it's worth. I was banded last week, so the Optifast nightmare is fresh in my mind.

I went into the Optifast phase with what I considered a realistic approach. The reason we all get the band is that we have problems controlling our food intake, so to beat yourself up over slipping up and eating something during Optifast seemed to me to be unrealistic and counterproductive.

Yeah, I slipped up and ate a couple of times during Optifast. I still lost six or seven kilos though, and my surgeon was perfectly content with how much I lost.

Of course, try your best to stick with Optifast, and if you feel like slipping up conjure every little bit of willpower you can to resist. If you do slip, though, don't get too down on yourself- a bite to eat isn't going to be the difference between a successful surgery and problems.

That said, one binge may well be. If you must slip, make it something reasonably healthy. I grew up with an Indian mother, so curries are my favourites. When I slipped I just curried a chicken breast and had it without rice, so it was low in fat and carbs and mostly Protein.< /p>

Personally, I think you'll do less damage by having a small meal if you can't deal with the hunger than by picking over the course of the night. It is far easier to keep track of how much you have eaten (and limit the amount as much as possible) when it is all on one (small!) plate.

But I would definitely make a priority of buying a set of scales. When you are putting in the effort, it is a great feeling to see a few numbers coming off when you are weighing yourself. I would consider them to be a necessity for a bandster.

The weight loss directly after surgery is more likely to be fat than fluid. I know I have kept well hydrated, having sipped Water almost constantly since I woke up from the operation. But my calorie intake is extraordinarily low (lower even than the Optifast program), so my body must be getting the energy from somewhere to keep my upright, and I am losing pretty consistently each day.

OK here goes i hate typing its slow and my keyboard cannot spell.

First and foremost this is my personal journey one thing I have learn t we all are different and react differently got banded last June and lost it about 3 months ago.I get my best friend back 12 MAY.Do not panic it was an extremely rare combination of things.

Optifast is much worse to deal with than either the operation and living with the band.

Lets be honest its a meager amount,no feeling of being satiated, and people use it who have an eating problem I am Irish and I can see how little sense that makes .

As to cheating it will not be your first or last time but here comes the Great NEWS. THE BAND !!!

I lost 47 kilo in 7 months i put on 20 kilo since they took it out in anyones eyes that shows it works.It works well if you work with it and not so well if you don,t.

Take RED DIRTS advice get some scales they will praise you and on those naughty occasions they will scold you LOL.I saw the weight loss day by and if you have lost enough to come down a dress size on Optifast without the band you should kill the weight loss with the band.

I hope this helps and by the way the chat site on here is really helpful:thumbup:Ray Perth WA

Jet. Who are you being banded by at Warringal? Dr Aly?

Good luck - stick with it. You will be fine.

Susannah, I am a chat/blog virgin, but was really lucky to conduct a search to find this site. I have been looking for the bandsters in Australia for some time now. You refer to sliming, I think I know what you are referring to. I had my band put in in Nov 06, lost 15kgs, fell pregnant and delivered a beautiful baby boy in late October 07. So I never really had the chance yet to see ultimate success with the band, but I have always had this problem with a dense viscous vomit (sorry) that comes at will, before, during or after eating, sometimes after a sip of Water only. Have you been able to find anyone who actually knows what this is, why it happens and how to fix it? It has been driving me mental, and even though I am gi-normous (huge) I suspect that I may be malnourished as I can not get good foods down (interestingly I never struggle with chocolate ...). If you can point me in any direction, I cannot tell you how much I would appreciate it.

Hi everyone, another get together is planned for sunday May 4th at the settlement in cranbourne, south east melbourne. Starting at 1pm and finishing who knows when, our usual pattern is to go on for several hours with some coming and going as their plans for the day demand. The booking is under the name of Michele and is in the bistro at the back of the hotel. All levels of diet are catered for, some just come for drinks others have full on meals, Soup, Snacks, some treat themselves to coffee and cake :w00t:

Jeri

Sue

Rosa

Michele

Ann

Kathleen H

Judy

Erina

it would help if you can post here to help with numbers.

Hi everyone

Just thought I would post here to Celebrate 1 week today since banded. I have already lost 7 kilos including the evil Optifast. I feel great recovered really quickly and can't wait to stt eating real food. It feels so long sine I've prepared and eaten food. Probably because it has been long - 3 weeks and COUNTING. Anyone recommend moving out of this liquid diet early? I am so desperate for real substnce and I feel like I would be ok with it. What do u guys think?

Hi Lita

Don't be in too much of a hurry to get to solids. There is still some healing that needs to occur with your band placement that is vital. Any solid foods too early may jeopardise your healing process. It is only another 7 days.....

Hi Everybody,

I am so sorry that I have been AWOL. I have been very sick in the last month. I have Multiple Sclerosis and my legs, feet, and bottom have been numb for more than a month. I was in hospital last week for three days with the drip in my arm with the drug that tries to halt the attack of the disease.

My neurologist has now told me that I will need to commence injecting myself with interferon injections three times a week.I have previously tried to avoid this.

I have been exhausted and scared.

I am glad that I had my band inserted now though, as I would have struggled even more had I been still obese.

Sorry everybody I have been slack here.

To answer the question re sliming. Sliming is when you have food get stuck and your body reacts by spitting up lots of thick gooey saliva. I had it happen after eating sushi once. It was horrible.

Tarajana I think you have my old email that I never check, because I checked it today and you had kindly left me info re the meetup.

Thank you so much. You are an angel. Please forgive me.

I am moving to live in Castlemaine Victoria this Saturday, which is about 90 mins north of Melbourne. My health has been bad as I have had two attacks of this illness in five months. I need to be near family now. My sister lives in Castlemaine with her twin 10 year old sons. I have rented a place nearby.

Can I wish everybody here lots of success with their banding journies. You are all wonderful and brave people.

Big hug to all.

Susannah

Edited by susannah

Susie! You should have emailed/texted/PMed me! I'm going to contact you now....sorry this has been going on and I had no idea! I feel like a crap friend :coolgleamA:

You have NOT been slack! Your health is much more important this this forum!