Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Australian Bandsters Chat Thread

Sorry to hear that Susannah, it must be a trying time for you. It is definitely good to be near family when you're going through this. I hope that things get a little better for you soon.

Chickie..I was just looking at your pictures, AWESOME!! I am an Australian citizen living in Florida at the moment, so I was interested in the Aussie posts! I had my surgery 10 weeks ago (here in FL) and I've lost 52 pounds. If I even had half the success you have had, I will be happy. Take care..and BOY! do I ever miss Brisbane!!!!

Thanks for the tip Peek - you're right - I just need to keep telling myself it won't be for long. Best wishes Susan. and wow chickie and denise - you guys are inspiring.

HI, not Dr aly, it was Dr Michell. he is very nice but i havent seen him much really.

sorry it doesnt help reading people say It does get better:

im so weak and tired and depressed and my house is now a mess cos icant do a thing. went to shops today for first time.. also got dressed today for first time. I went there specifially to get a pedicure as i cant reach down to cut own toes.! even though the shops are five minutes away i drove, and fell asleep coudlnt keep head up during the pedicure. came home and straight to bed wehre i slept six hours straight. i cant understand this, im on day 7. i know some people go back to work at this stage??

finding it hard to keep drinking all this yoghurt optisfast sustagen. im starting to get nauseous frrm all the milky drinks. yes i have Soup too but omg i need something with flavour in it!

what is the magic trick to this, seems simple enough. a few steps on teh ticker wizard , then copy and paste, but it doesnt work?

where do u copy and paste it into?

are the photographs avatars? how does one get a photo that small?

Hi Jet, I understand the need for something with flavour. I'm not sure if you are up to doing any cooking, but I made a celeriac Soup, to which I added some filleted sardines crusted with rock salt and cracked pepper (John West brand). This really got me through the final days of my liquid phase. If you like sardines (or smoked mackeral works too) it is perfect balance of Protein and vege carbs. I love this soup. Search my posts and you will find the recipe for it.

To post your ticker.. you should cut and paste the html code into the large square signature box (not in the URL field which I tried to do for a while till the penny dropped).

You need to use a photo editing program to resize your photo.

Hi Lita, glad to hear you are doing well. I suggest you have a chat to your doctor/clinic/dietician. They let me move onto mushie stage a few days early because I was recovering and having no problem with liquids. Your folks may well let you move early also, but please don't do this without discussing with them.

I have an infection on side of my port incision which is unfortunately starting to get me down (after having a brilliant time of this for the past 3.5 weeks). It just isn't getting any better, and the antibiotics didn't make much difference. Went to see my doc, and he didn't want to give me a 2nd course, saying it will heal itself now, but 3 days later its still the same :-(

oh Luscious

that's too bad about the infection. I am sure it wi heal fast enough . . . Yes I did listen to everyones advice and stayed on the liquids - they got thicker which helped. Next week I an mushies officially - I see the doctor on Monday so hopefully everything will be fine.

I haven't lost much weight but I hear that that is kinda normal for the first few weeks so I am not worried. Mind you without the band I am sure I would have lost more eating the tinniest amount of calories that I am. ?????

Anyway hanging in there - and wishing you all the best and hope thyou recover soon.

hi all i am new fairly new to the site.My surgery date is 6th June St George Hospital Sydney Dr Talbot.My Optifast starts 23rd May am getting very exicted the countdown begins.All of the posts of people who have had the band is motivating to those of us about to embark on this next stage in our life.It makes it easier knowing everyone had the same feelings scared and excitied all at the same time.Keep up the great work and thanks for all the advise that gets given in the posts,it a great help.

Banded 28 April 2008 in Wagga Wagga NSW.

Top weight 97 kgs and 160cm tall so looked like a lollipop!

Hi there, I am not sure where I belong on this forum other than I am keen to find out how others are doing...the highs, lows and hungry times!

I was banded a week ago and am tolerating Optifast, yoghurt ,broth and jelly at this stage. Have a craving for a poached egg. I am quite uncomfortable but as I am not taking any painkillers I guess that would have something to do with it.

I have lost 7 kgs with only another 30 to go. I was really good on the before op fasting and I am sure that helped me in the long run. I no longer care that I am overweight as I will never see those kilos again and that is very satisfying.

What I want to know is how come there are so many cooking shows on satellite TV? Yesterday it was deep fried oysters!

Edited by crushbro
add item

Crushbro, that's a hard question to andswer as we have all had different experiences.

But 2 months post band, I can say that I am so glad I opted to go down this path. This is my experience:

2 weeks pre op, I did the Optifast and I was strict to the point where I had nothing else but the shakes or the bars. I did one night of stir fried vegis, then thought I was cheating by doing that so I stopped! Silly me.

In that 2 week period from memory I lost 9kg. So far to date I have lost 13kg with another 17 to go, but my goal weight will be reviewed when I get close to 70kg if that's possible!

I had my first fill 4 weeks ago and it was a godsend. The previous 3 weeks before that I struggled in bandster hell being so darned hungry that I could literally eat a horse! After the fill (which was a breeze for me but not for others) I had momentary restriction and from day to day it changes. I can still eat large amounts but I am very aware of getting things stuck or overfilling, that I might PB or have pain like the other stories and cut down on what I eat. Funnily enough, I feel full 20 mins after eating, but not whilst.

I am having my second fill on Friday and expect another 2cc in my band which would take me to 6cc in a 10cc band. They expect that between 7 and 7.5ml will be around the sweet spot for me (from their experience). So third fill won't be another 2cc but it will be at a slower rate. It's good to do things slowly otherwise you are changing from one lifestyle to another very quickly and it would be hard to adjust.

Not only have I lost 13kg, but I have lost so much bulk. The scales might not have moved much in the last month, but my clothes are definately looser and fit better, and I have even invested in new clothes. People can tell I have lost weight but typically won't say it to me but others! Only my husband, kids, two good friends and my workmate knows I have had the band and I am so glad that I didn't tell many people. I don't want to have to justify the fact that I don't look any different 6 months down the track!

My doc said that after fills the average weight loss expected per month is between 2 and 2.5kg. The scales have not moved this month, despite the fact I am eating way healthier foods and I exercise by playing netball at least twice per week. Again, another one of those crazy things that happen to me!

I have been hit in the port site quite a few times playing netball. Mine sticks out some days and hides others! It feels to me like a baby's foot in there some days (I love and miss that feeling so I can always go feel my port to remind me of when I had the three kids!). My scars are still pinkish, totally healed, but just waiting for them to fade.

My biggest problem is my thighs and my butt. I have no stomach per se to lose. I have lost weight in my arms and my legs and most importantly in my butt. A noticeable difference, but I am going to have to work hard at it.

My progress pics are in the Photos section if anyone cares to look! I would post them here if someone would care to tell me how! I wish I had of taken them differently especially the pre-band ones. I have the oddest look on my face so you will have to ignore that!

I still have a long way to go but I am being very patient at this stage. I am at least content at the moment especially as I look better and because my self esteem has sky rocketed.

I hope you have a good outcome. You will feel better soon, and be on the mushies and loving it!

i suspected as much ah well no pleasure without a bit of pain it will surley be worth it every kilo coming off is a kilo which i will hopefully never see again