Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2014 post op losers

Erin

I understand exactly what u are talking about. I have been having horrible pains and really dont go that much and when I do it about kills me. I have a

Question for some does anyone have an issue keeping things down on a regular basis durning thw purred diet. I get to move to soft solids this week and am worriwd because I have times where nothing wants to settle in my pouch. Is thos normal or not

Hi,

I don't really know what is normal but I really struggled with pureed stuff. I tested myself once a day with those sort of foods with variable success, sometimes only managing a couple of teaspoons. The rest of the time I just had Soups, shakes and yogurts. However... luckily for me my regime allows me "anything a fork goes through" and crispbreads from around 4 weeks. That is just so much better and since late last week I have been having moussaka, cream cheese and crispbreads, small amounts of fruit etc. I can now eat small amounts with other people which is just wonderful. I have found that my pouch copes with this much better though I do worry each time I try something new, which is a lot of the time at the moment. So I don't know if that helps at all but I was worried about the fact that pureed food was not going well and it seems much better now that I can have more variety and more real food.

Erin, I am not constipated, rather the opposite in fact. However, I am having a lot of abdominal cramps which are painful and more than a bit difficult to cope with because I need to dash to the toilet. I am glad that I am not constipated like you are but abdominal cramps are horrible, it is over more quickly for me than for you, but much more often. I think it is still much easier for me than for you though.

Claire

Hi, I don't really know what is normal but I really struggled with pureed stuff. I tested myself once a day with those sort of foods with variable success, sometimes only managing a couple of teaspoons. The rest of the time I just had Soups, shakes and yogurts. However... luckily for me my regime allows me "anything a fork goes through" and crispbreads from around 4 weeks. That is just so much better and since late last week I have been having moussaka, cream cheese and crispbreads, small amounts of fruit etc. I can now eat small amounts with other people which is just wonderful. I have found that my pouch copes with this much better though I do worry each time I try something new, which is a lot of the time at the moment. So I don't know if that helps at all but I was worried about the fact that pureed food was not going well and it seems much better now that I can have more variety and more real food. Erin, I am not constipated, rather the opposite in fact. However, I am having a lot of abdominal cramps which are painful and more than a bit difficult to cope with because I need to dash to the toilet. I am glad that I am not constipated like you are but abdominal cramps are horrible, it is over more quickly for me than for you, but much more often. I think it is still much easier for me than for you though. Claire

I totally think the constant dashing to the toilet sounds bad, too. Abdominal cramps are just the worst. :(

I hope we both get some gastrointestinal balance.

I am officially having my big regrets day. I believed I would not be hungry after this surgery. I believed this tool would make it easier and...it's not. I am a hot mess. I cry when I see others eating and I can't. I hate plain broth...the thought of it makes me sick. Jello..ugh. And Protein Shakes? ? OMG why in the hell are they all so sweet?? Why can't there be a baked potato one? Steak...I feel like I have made the worst decision of my life. Everyone says it will get better but right now...I feel tortured and I just want to eat. :'(

I had my 1 week appt today which the docs are really happy with my progress I am down 17 lbs since surgery so I feel pretty good about that and even better when I see people an they notice it. I haven't suffered from head hunger as of yet and I hope it stays that way . My biggest complaint is the pain I have on my left side an it goes all the way into my back. The doc today said it's normal but does it ever hurt like hell! I have been off the prescribed pain meds since day two of being home until today I couldn't take it anymore especially having to sit in the car 2.5 hrs to get to my appt. does anyone else suffer from this pully pain?!?

I am officially having my big regrets day. I believed I would not be hungry after this surgery. I believed this tool would make it easier and...it's not. I am a hot mess. I cry when I see others eating and I can't. I hate plain broth...the thought of it makes me sick. Jello..ugh. And Protein Shakes? ? OMG why in the hell are they all so sweet?? Why can't there be a baked potato one? Steak...I feel like I have made the worst decision of my life. Everyone says it will get better but right now...I feel tortured and I just want to eat. :'(

I'm so sorry. I've had those days. I totally understand. I hope tomorrow is better.

I quit the Protein shakes. I just can't with them.

It does does does get better! I remember being so pissed that everyone was eating and I just couldn't.

It's a big change. It's a radical, overwhelming change. It is ok to be upset.

I know these feelings well!! I swear the first ten days were such an emotional roller coaster! Looking back I really feel bad for my kids...I was horrible to be around. For me, it really opened my eyes to how I used food to sooth me. Without it, I didn't know what to do. It will get better!!!

It's three weeks today since surgery for me and I got to the end of work yesterday without being in pain. The 'pulling' pain is getting less each day. We all need to be patient and let our bodies catch up with our minds - so much easier said than done!

I agree with everything that everyone else has said. I am also really pleased that you feel able to post those thoughts Dreamingbig. I am on another forum in the UK which is run by the company that carried out my bypass and everyone seems so positive all the time, even when things are going wrong! Before my surgery I was reading those and thinking how can they be talking about these things that are definitely not ok and saying how delighted they are to have had the surgery. These things don't coexist at the same time in my mind, though they can both be true at different times. I think people feel the need to put a positive spin on things when they do not always feel that way and that can feel very lonely. I really enjoy the honesty of this forum, if you are having a bad day then share it and others will be there to support you.

As Erin, babygurl and zoe have said honestly we have all had those days and things really do get better. It is horrible to not eat when others are and 4 weeks down the line I am really enjoying being able to do just that. Very small amounts and I have to pick what those things are but I feel so much more normal and I have my social life back, yay! The pain subsides too, although the tiredness and lightheaded feelings are still there at times, for me anyway. We just have to be patient with ourselves and allow ourselves to feel bad when we do and Celebrate the small successes every day.

People seem to struggle with certain foods even years down the line, and unexpectedly. Someone on the my other forum dumped on branflakes 5.5 years down the line, now that's not fair at all! She is moving house so stress might have been a factor but that is last thing she needed. Those things worry me, because I just want to know that certain foods are ok and always will be, particularly when I am out and about. Last night everything I tried got stuck and I hardly ate anything so my Protein levels were down, however I am sure that today is another day.

So do keep sharing your feelings, bad ones as well as good ones and you will feel better as time goes on. I think people saying that it is early days and you are bound to feel ... makes it difficult to express just how you are feeling. Well it did for me, and I think you have earned your right to say that you are having a bad time at the moment. Keep going and you will have much better days, honestly you will

Take care

Claire

Hi all,

Just a thought, have any of you girls with the abdominal pain and Constipation and/or diarrhea tried adding Fiber to your drinks? That was one of the first things that my NUT told me to start. I use the sugar free Benefiber and you can't even taste it in the drink. That seems to help with me.

I have learned so much from you all just by reading all of your posts. Thank you all for sharing your honest opinion and even when you think the cards are down...it will get better.

Take care all!

Samantha

Benefiber is a great idea. I'm going to pick some up tomorrow.

So now that I'm trying to eat more normal food, I find myself throwing up every day after dinner.

I've got to find a way to progress with what I eat and recognize the signals of what isn't working for me before I get to that point.

I've lost 27 pounds.

Starting: 219

Current: 192

Week 1: 11 pounds lost (preop included)

Week 2: 5 pounds lost

Week 3: 3 pounds lost

Week 4: 1 pound lost

Week 5: 4 pounds lost

Week 6: In progress but 2.8 pounds so far.

At a rate of about 3 pounds a week, I would be at goal in 22 weeks. That's by the end of August. Wow.

I could be 125 pounds by the end of summer???? That doesn't even sound real. :)

Erin, you are doing so great! 3 pounds a week is totally doable and what my doctor said I could expect on average. Summer will be here before you know it and you'll be a new you! As far as the food and throwing up. Are you going super snail slow? If you are trying to eat dinner with your family and keeping up the speed, that could be the problem. I find I have to go so darn slow, it's hard at times!

Erin, you are doing so great! 3 pounds a week is totally doable and what my doctor said I could expect on average. Summer will be here before you know it and you'll be a new you! As far as the food and throwing up. Are you going super snail slow? If you are trying to eat dinner with your family and keeping up the speed, that could be the problem. I find I have to go so darn slow, it's hard at times!

I always have eaten too quickly. Always. I still do and I am going to focus on eating much slower and see how that changes things! Thanks for the good advice!

I have such a hard time eating slow and especially taking sips of drinks. I find myself taking gulps sometimes and it instantly gives me abdominal pain. If I eat to fast everything will come back up.

I'm experiencing dumping so bad lately. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but everything seems to bother me. I either get pain or really hot and clamy with nausea or it comes straight back up.

And to top it all off I'm at another stall. I figured with all this puking I would have lost weight.

Hi,

Erin you are doing so well in terms of weight loss. incredible to think that you might be there by August, that is great. Mine will take longer but I have further to go.

This eating marlarky is so hard isn't it!!! I feel so sorry for you Zom with your dumping, I am so scared of that, and both of you with puking up. I hate being sick so much and have managed to avoid it so far but I am sure that my luck won't hold. I seem to be ok on one crispbread and Philly cheese and raspberries for Breakfast and lunch and have a smoothie late afternoon. It is the evening meals which are a real challenge. I am trying new things every day, with variable success. Salmon and cous cous got stuck after 2 teaspoonfuls and that was not nice. I have managed moussaka and macaroni cheese and they are my biggest successes. Everything is a worry though, particularly if we are out. Will something get stuck/ will I dump/will I feel/be sick/ will I have urgent diarrhoea. Still taking food like medicine, I am not hungry and there is no enjoyment. However... we have all come a long way in just a few weeks and each stage is hard but I am trying to believe that it will get better. I agree with Kim that slow and steady seems to give the greatest amount of success.

I do hope that you are ok if you are out there Dreamingbig? Let us know how you are.

Take care all of you

Claire

Hi girls, I too have the dumping problems but after 2 straight weeks of puking and the other I've begun to figure out how to eat. I'm still learning to listen to my body, like, if I eat that next bite it'll come back up! That took learning how to eat slow and paying close attention. The diarrhea I've found comes from foods I can't tolerate any longer like milk products. I've learned to only introduce new foods at home. I've spent lots of time in the car with a puke bag while the rest of my family were inside the restaurant enjoying their meal. Not pleasant at all. Thank goodness for disposable puke bags!

One of my hardest lessons is not drinking with my meal. That's been a toughie. Sounds like you girls are on the right path so keep up the good work.

Tammy