Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2014 post op losers

Hi!!! I'm here!! Well...I am officially 1 week post op. This has probably been one if the hardest weeks of my life. I had a major abdominal surgery, lost my papa, had No food to comfort me and grieved the loss of that (pretty badly I might add). I have LEARNED so much about myself this week. I was a VERY weak person up till now. I knew I was a foodie, an emotional eater but...I don't think I knew just how bad. I do t think I knew the food actually controlled me. My moods, my actions, my life.

But..here I am. Still 2 more days before I can have the amazing yogurt and cottage cheese...but I have made it 1 week post op. Here are my stats.

Pre surgery weightloss: - 19

I had only a couple pound gain during surgery

Post surgery weight loss -10

Grand total: -29lbs!!

I'm on my way!!

Guys...y'all have been the BEST supporters. I wish I could know you all in real life. I know we'd just be the best of friends. I love havin people I've for bbq's and bonfires and y'all wouldn't even get mad at low cal high Protein recipes lol!!

Maybe we should all meet on a cruise to Celebrate next year! Hehe!! :)

I certainly could not get through this without y'all. Thank you so much!

Hi,

Great to hear from you Dreamingbig. It sounds like you are doing really well with weight loss and eating. Such a really hard week for you, and losing your Papa is so very sad too.

Tammy, I think that as you say listening to our bodies is key, but it sounds like you have been having a bad time too.

I find it so reassuring knowing that I am not alone and we are all struggling a bit. We are all fighters though and we WILL make it. We are all strong people and we have so much to lose in terms of weight, and so much to gain in terms of life experiences.

As you say it would be great to meet up, though probably not in any way possible, but it is still good to have friends out there who understand. We are planning a trip in Aug/Sept around the Deep South, so we will be travelling through 7 states then. A new area for us so I am really looking forward to it. Don't know how food will be on that trip but normal life must go on.

We will all get through this together, take care

Claire

Well if anyone ever comes to Orlando, I'm close to there and will come say hi!!

I'm so sorry for your loss dreaming. That's a tough week to go through.

I hope you guys have a nice weekend!!

Hi everyone, I'm new!

My name is Julie and I live in England.

I am a friend of CLAIREC.

I had my gastric bypass on Feb 8th 2014 which makes me 5 weeks out today!

I'm over the worst of the surgery. And now I'm trying to come to terms with what I have done to myself!! This is a completely new routine and I am trying to adjust to this new life .

I have written a post on the general gastric bypass forum!

Wishing everyone the best from over the pond,

Julie x

Hello everyone, I'm new!

I am a friend of CLAIREC.

My name is Julie and I live in England with my husband and I have 2 sons.

I had my gastric bypass on the 8th Feb, 2014 in Chichester .

I am 5 weeks post opp today!

I am over the worst of the surgery physically, but now am dealing with learning to live with the bypass , and the realisation of what have I done to myself?

I do not regret it for a second, but my life seems to be governed by waiting drinking times, pills and I'm always wondering what is the best thing to eat when it's time. It is a huge learning curb and I feel a bit lost. It's all going well and I have lost including the milk diet, 29LBs so far.

I feel much better in myself but more fragile since the food intake has been drastically reduced.

Is this normal?

I have posted more on the main gastric bypass forum- I'm not sure of this forum for posting what where- so being a Feb girl, I should be here I think.

Please read my main posting .

Wishing everyone the best of luck with their surgeries, from over the pond,

Julie xx

Welcome Julie!! Any friend of Claire's is a friend of ours!!!!

I totally understand how you feel regarding wondering what you did to yourself. I still feel like that. I'm glad overall but sometimes I really wonder why I put myself through such a drastic change. I miss food!

Hi Julie!

Every week, I have at least 3 days of buyers remorse. I have good days and bad days. I know that as I power through this, I will lose the buyers remorse. RIght now, it's just one step at a time. We can do this!

K

Welcome Julie!

Dreaming, it's normal to be feeling those emotions, especially in the beginning. Like Erin, I still have days where I question it. I was in tears last weekend over it all. But then had a good week.

I appear to be at another stall. Urgh. I'm not loving this part of the journey. I've been exercising 30 minutes or more a day and eating right. Why on earth would I not be losing weight. In fact I went up! Boggles the mind. Something to discuss next week at my 6 week post op. I'm going to Disneyland on Monday and really hope I'm going to be able to find things to eat. I'm still not able to tolerate a lot of foods. Yesterday I threw up around 4 and was stuck till 9pm when I could finally get some Water in.

I feel...pathetic. All I can think about is food. Piping hot melty cheese pizza!! Cucumbers with balsamic vinegar, a cheeseburger...OMG!!! What the hell is wrong with me??? I wanted this so much and food is still controlling me!!! Urgh

Dreaming, you should not feel pathetic! I know that feeling of desperately missing food all to well. I think for the first 3 weeks I would see ANY type of food and just think to myself "ohhhh that looks so good!"

Even when I was shopping I would check out at the counter and see all the candy bars and just break down and I rarely ever wanted a candy bar before surgery.

It does get better though! I'm almost 5 weeks out and my family so far has had so much fast food and we even had a birthday which I had to watch everyone eat cake and it didn't bother me which is crazy cause I lovvvvvee me some cake!

You just have to remember things take time! I was right where you are and I thought it was never going to get better but it did. Little by littlw, you got this girl. Just remember how badly you wanted this change before it happened, that's what I focus on.

As for everyone else I hope all is well. I will be 5 weeks on Tuesday. I'm doing pretty well other than no drinking while I eat. The biggest habit I have yet to break. It even gives me horrible pain and I still seem to catch myself doing it.

On the plus side I'm down 73 lbs which is 23 lbs since surgery. Thought I would have lost more but I'll take it!

Hi,

It is great to see Julie on here, because I find it such a supportive forum, and we all need that. That "buyer's remorse" feeling seems to be very common, as does trying to cope with how to eat/drink. I don't actually regret my decision but I do feel that I have done something terrible to my body which will always have a negative impact on me and my health, as well as a positive impact. It is a lot to get your head around.

I do like your phrase "you got this", we don't really use it over here but it really says it all. We have all got this, we are strong people who can cope with this, we know what we are doing and why we are doing it. Things just don't always go to plan every day. I am trying to concentrate on the small daily successes in eating and the positives, whether it is weight loss or other things. They all mount up. I am 5 weeks post op on Tuesday and really there is no comparison with how I was 1 week ago, let alone 2 weeks ago.

Last night I even had a 3 course meal!!!! Well it was a long meal while we were waiting to go to the theatre but I did manage 3 things. I tried a bite of bruscetta which didn't go down, I think because it had some grated apple on it, so I had half a breadstick dippped in guacamole instead so that was my starter. Then I had a small amount of lasagne which was new and then some pieces of melon. So 3 courses! I was really pleased. My small successes are:

small amounts of fruit - plum, grapes, melon, raspberries, strawberries, banana, pineapple - and avocado

Pasta - macaroni, tagliatelle, lasagne

crispbreads with philly cheeese

They all feel great and so normal. That is such a relief. So think ahead a few weeks Dreamingbig and you will be able to have more variety, maybe not the things you are craving at the moment, but anything that feels as if it is progress is wonderful. Also to get your social life back for me was a really big thing.

So today I am celebrating and if we listen to our bodies we can gradually creep up on this thing that we have all done.

We will get there together, we have got this, it just doesn't always feel like that every day, but the trend is that we are all getting better.

Take care

Claire

Hi all!

I'm having the same issues that you guys are having....every time I turn around, there is another restaurant commercial on TV. I want pizza so bad....but I know that it will all be worth it once these cravings pass. Hope everyone is doing well!!

Thank you all so much I made it!!! Today is food day!! At midnight I ate a little bit of cottage cheese, for Breakfast I had abt a tablespoon of yogurt and lunch was a tbs of cottage cheese!! I've never felt so happy lol!! To not have that hunger is so awesome!! I am so happy how such a tiny amount can make me feel so full!!! I was really scared I was "broken" because of the amount of hunger I was feeling Needless to say I am elated that I actually see that it does work for me!

I'm glad dreaming had a better day!

Claire, I love your words. You really know exactly what to say. I love to read your posts.

I am having trouble keeping Pasta down. It is a no-go for me. I did have about an ounce and a half of talapia last night. It was delicious and didn't come back up.

I have been practicing eating slower and paying attention to when I am full. I've thrown up way less the past few days.

It was a beautiful day here in Florida, so we went to the beach. This means my family ate lots of fried chicken, chips, Cookies and sweet tea and beer for the adults.

I had some delicious multi grain crackers and hummus that for sure do not make me sick, some Water and half a beer. ;)

I won't make the Protein requirements today but I had a wonderful time with my family. I am loving the balance I am able to find. I will be glad when I can handle more protein but for now I do what I can.

I hope everyone else had a wonderful weekend, too.