Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2014 post op losers

Hi everyone! I'm new here! Read up on some stories and it's good to hear we're doing bout the same. My surgery was 2/20. So 2.5 weeks out? Started at 250, now at 225. No issues with my new pouch. Just abdominal muscle pain still. Anyone else feeling this still. Doc says it's normal and can take up to 6 weeks to go away. Doc advanced my to soft foods, which I'm taking in slowly. Still feel better on full liquids! My issue right now is having NO appetite whatsoever! I just don't feel like eating. Have to remind myself a lot! All I want to do is sleep. ????????????

Welcome to all the newcomers! So glad to have you here. Tomorrow will be 5 weeks post op for me. I have to get my blood drawn this week and then will have my 6 weeks post op the following with my doc. Excited to see where I stand at 6 weeks. I haven't been weighing too much as AF is here. I'm still sticking to Protein Shakes, yogurts, Beans, eggs, etc. Stuff of that consistency. I've tried a few other things but it's hit and miss. At 6 weeks I get to introduce meats, like chicken and turkey. I'm exited to try them! At least ground. My husband is making a veggie quiche tonight and that should be good!

Curious for those of you further a long, how many calories a day are you getting? What about Protein? Are you doing consistent exercise?

Welcome all the newbies!!

Dreaming, I'm so glad you're doing well!

I spent the weekend in Orlando at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. It was a nice getaway for my boyfriend and me.

I ate a Bevita Breakfast cracker for breakfast. Four come in a pack. I had one.

For lunch I ate a few chips. Not healthy but I was scared to try anything and crunchy works because I can chew it up so well.

I did partake in part of an alcoholic beverage. A few sips here and there over the course of an hour while waiting in line for the new Harry Potter ride. I am aware we aren't supposed to drink. I am also aware I am living life and not hiding away because of my surgery.

For dinner we went to Bubba Gump's at the City Walk. I asked to order off the kids menu and was told no, but after I explained my situation I was allowed to order.

I ordered popcorn shrimp and mashed potatoes. I ate 2 popcorn shrimp and 2 bites of mashed potatoes over the course of the entire meal. Very slowly and very carefully. I also had a few sips of my boyfriends drink and Water.

This morning I had a bite of Cereal at the continental breakfast and hummus with crispy crackers for lunch at a yummy restaurant called Tu Tu Tango.

For dinner it was back home and back to my regularly scheduled program.

It was nice to know I could be "normal" and participate in life without feeling completely alienated from what I enjoy. It was important to me not to get sick or overdo it.

My goal is to keep my pouch working for me but not be condemned to a life of yogurt.

So there ya have it. That's my update. I'm down 25 pounds.

Starting weight:219

Date if surgery: 214

Today: 194

I'm almost 6 weeks out.

I have a friend who is a personal trainer and she is going to show me a workout I can do at home with my teenage daughter.

Hello everyone I am 11 days post op and my starting weight was 244 day of surg. Was 236 and I am currently 223. I've recovered pretty well and I can even eat eggs no problem. I do feel hungry often but I can only take about 3 tbls of food/liquid before I'm full. I'm grateful for my weight lose already and am excited to see how much more I will lose! I've been cleared to start exercising my arms for now and I'm going to be starting that tomorrow! Hope everyone has a speedy recovery !

Hi,

Welcome Mena and Lallie, you sound like you are doing really well.

Dreamingbig I do hope that you are feeling better every day. I am so sorry about your grandfather, what an awful shock for you when you had just had your surgery. It sounds like you you will miss him so much. I am thinking of you. Just take every day at a time because you have had all your pre op concerns, your grief for your grandfather and getting over a major op to cope with over the last week, as well as your eating and drinking to get your head around.

Kim, I am not sure what calorie levels i should be aiming for. Since I started more solid food my calories have gone up a bit, and my Protein down a bit. I am still managing 40g protein without the Protein Shakes that I was having but as I can't really have too much meat yet, and I really couldn't cope with the pureed forms again, I think this is a temporary thing. My calories are under 1,000, but I was having 500, again with more proper food but less protein However, this is probably only short term too. I am not sure whether this is right or wrong though, and all our regimes are different.

Erin, I think you did really well over the weekend. I don't think that safe always means healthy, and not having a problem while you were there was much more important than whether you were having chips or not. I think that you are absolutely right about rejoining life and the positive impact on how you feel , as well as not letting your bypass rule your life. I am 100% with you there. I think that the advice is not clear, and can be conflicting. I really want to know what might cause dumping, what is bad for my pouch and what are healthy eating principles separately. Then I can make decisions. If alcohol is something that is fine in moderation, as long as you don't dump and are careful to sip it, then why not. I really am coming to the conclusion that if all our regimes are so different that this is not an exact science. On top of this we all respond differently on an individual basis so surely we just need to carry on listening to our bodies and push the limits gradually. I think the weekend was everything you needed and you have realised that you can do these things without anything untoward happening and that is so positive and empowering.

I am also pushing the boundaries in little ways and had tiny bits of meals out over the weekend which was a real relief. Not sure why I have diarrhoea after meals but it is better than Constipation. Just a little difficult to cope with when out and about. I hope that is temporary! We are booking holidays like mad so I am hoping that I can continue as I am going and can eat and drink something wherever we go. Life is too short and I was so worried that I would be unable to do these things so I feel so much better knowing that I am rejoining the normal world.

Take care all of you.

Claire

When can we eat a salad?

I knew you would understand what I was saying Claire. I truly enjoy living my life and one of the things I loved the most about my band is that I was limited in amount but not food types.

That being said, I feel so good knowing I can get out there and do things and not feel held back. There Is usually at least one option on the menu that I can deal with!!!

Erin, so glad you had a nice weekend! I’m jealous about the Harry Potter ride and the alcohol! LOL I do fully understand where you are at and living and not being hindered by our surgeries and fully agree with you. I can’t wait to get there myself, but waiting to feel comfortable with being fully healed. Almost there! I’m dying to have salad, and will be asking my doc about it next week at my 6 week apt. Although wanting it and being able to handle it are two separate things!

Hello! I'm new to the group and I wanted to introduce myself. I had my RNY in Syracuse, NY on February 10, 2014. Monday will be one month! I am down 21 lb! From 299 the morning of surgery to 278. I'm just interested to meet others who are February surgeries.

Hey that was my surgery date also. Glad to have u on this side. U r doing great. I am done about 15lbs give or take

Erin, so glad you had a nice weekend! I’m jealous about the Harry Potter ride and the alcohol! LOL I do fully understand where you are at and living and not being hindered by our surgeries and fully agree with you. I can’t wait to get there myself, but waiting to feel comfortable with being fully healed. Almost there! I’m dying to have salad, and will be asking my doc about it next week at my 6 week apt. Although wanting it and being able to handle it are two separate things!

I know what you're saying!! I hate throwing up and I push limits and throw up and then I feel miserable. I hate it when I do that! I don't think I can handle anything like salad for a few more weeks. Iceberg maybe, but definitely not any veggies. I still have to chew everything to a pulp before I swallow it.

Hi all,

I'm another one of the February stragglers....just had my surgery on 2/27 and had my 10 day post op appointment today. Got advanced to purees (thank you Jesus!) and was down 11 pounds since my initial pre-op appointment. I just had an egg that was smashed to a pulp and it tasted so good. I'm still working on getting in my 64 oz of Fluid a day, but I think that I will be okay with getting my Protein in each day. Thank you for sharing some of the puree recipes!! I look forward to trying some of them.

I have read all of your posts and you are all so inspiring to me. I am glad that I have you all to talk to about my ups and downs. I was having issues with getting all of my medications in when I first came home from the hospital, but now, my primary care doctor has already taken me off a couple of my medications. That was amazing and my first small goal accomplished. I still have one more week off of work, but I'm excited to go back next Monday.

Hi all,

I'm another one of the February stragglers....just had my surgery on 2/27 and had my 10 day post op appointment today. Got advanced to purees (thank you Jesus!) and was down 11 pounds since my initial pre-op appointment. I just had an egg that was smashed to a pulp and it tasted so good. I'm still working on getting in my 64 oz of Fluid a day, but I think that I will be okay with getting my Protein in each day. Thank you for sharing some of the puree recipes!! I look forward to trying some of them.

I have read all of your posts and you are all so inspiring to me. I am glad that I have you all to talk to about my ups and downs. I was having issues with getting all of my medications in when I first came home from the hospital, but now, my primary care doctor has already taken me off a couple of my medications. That was amazing and my first small goal accomplished. I still have one more week off of work, but I'm excited to go back next Monday.

Hi Sammy,

My goodness you are going back to work after only 2 weeks! I know that Erin did that, and to a new job so that was amazing. I did not stop work after my operation but I tried to time my surgery between days when I need to go in to teach and everything else is on line. I left my previous role in November and that was so all consuming and full on I really don't know how soon I could have gone back to that. I still feel tired and lightheaded at 4 weeks post surgery but I don't let that stop me doing things, however I am not working the long long hours that I did, that would have been a real challenge.

Glad you are doing so well Sammy, we are all here for each other and that is so reassuring.

Take care

Claire

Guys. How many of you are experiencing horrible cramps when it is time for number 2?

I'm lucky to go once a week and when I do I feel like I could pass out from the cramping.

I think my intestines hate me. :(

Erin

I understand exactly what u are talking about. I have been having horrible pains and really dont go that much and when I do it about kills me. I have a

Question for some does anyone have an issue keeping things down on a regular basis durning thw purred diet. I get to move to soft solids this week and am worriwd because I have times where nothing wants to settle in my pouch. Is thos normal or not

Erin I understand exactly what u are talking about. I have been having horrible pains and really dont go that much and when I do it about kills me. I have a Question for some does anyone have an issue keeping things down on a regular basis durning thw purred diet. I get to move to soft solids this week and am worriwd because I have times where nothing wants to settle in my pouch. Is thos normal or not

I throw up a few times a week. :( also, I often feel like I have an unsettled tummy. I take tums and it helps.