Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2014 post op losers

My surgery was on the 28th I'm 5 days post op and having a really hard time getting the Protein in ! The first shake I tried was possibly the worst thing I have ever tasted or smelled in my life! I gained 2 lbs over the time I was in the hospital and I'm down close to 30 lbs from the preop shakes to today and I'm down 11 lbs post op ! I have some discomfort still but I push my self everyday to get out there an get walking . It's really slippery outside here so my family is constantly checking on me when my bf is at work and taking me out for walks . I almost feel like an animal haha but I appreciate the help an support ! I look forward to purees anyone with any good recipes?

I'm with you on the Protein shakes! I am 3 weeks post op and haven't been able to drink any type or smoothie or drink with protein in it. Yuck! I know get my protein from food now that I can eat. Congrats on the weight loss already! It's good that you are out walking, it's the best thing and I seem to lose more weight on the days I get the most exercise. The best thing I had when I was in puréed was Wendy's chili in the blender. My nutritionist gave me the ok for it. Someone on here said there's quite a bit of protein in a small chili to so that's a plus!

Hi,

I am lucky I suppose because I have never felt hunger, or head hunger since my op. In fact I am having to force it down. I agree that having to eat and drink seems a challenge, if I eat I can't drink for hours and drinking seems to have an impact for longer than it should. I am taking chewable fruity Vitamins which are much easier and i am not on any other meds so I haven't got a problem there. I stopped the pain meds very quickly because I wasn't in pain and I hated the gloopy liquid meds so much, they made me feel rally sick.

I am sick of the purees and don't manage them well at all, I am much better on Soup, yoghurts and blended berries and shakes. I am hoping that next Tues I will manage things like crispbread and "things a fork will go through" much better because purees have not been a success. Soo looking forward to that! The Protein shakes we are making into an ice cream with home made custard, I quite like those. Would that be an option?

Claire

This is my 7th day of gaining and loosing the same 2 lbs. am I the only one with this problem?

Grrr!!!

I'm with you on the Protein shakes! I am 3 weeks post op and haven't been able to drink any type or smoothie or drink with protein in it. Yuck! I know get my protein from food now that I can eat. Congrats on the weight loss already! It's good that you are out walking, it's the best thing and I seem to lose more weight on the days I get the most exercise. The best thing I had when I was in puréed was Wendy's chili in the blender. My nutritionist gave me the ok for it. Someone on here said there's quite a bit of protein in a small chili to so that's a plus!

I will be soo glad to start purees and know I can get protein in that way because I just don't see the shakes getting any easier ! And yum Wendy's chili !! I'll definitely be making a stop there soon enough :) it amazes me this long without food ( I was on a liquid diet 3 wks pre op ) that I don't feel hungry yet however I look forward to food because I miss chewing . I love taking my Calcium and vits because they're all chewable lol

Oh this mythical Wendy's chilli I keep reading about, I wish we could get that here!

I went back to work yesterday, which was also my first day of soft food. It's bliss to eat 'real' food, but I was in pain by the end of the day from doing a bit too much. Mentally I was ready to return last week, just physically it's been hard than I thought it would be.

I'm now down 20 lbs since the start of the 2 weeks liquid before surgery

Hi Zoe,

It sounds as if you are doing really well. Having soft normal food is such a major step isn't it! I have just tried some hummous and an oat biscuit, I couldn't have much at all really, but it is normal food, so that is brilliant.

Going back to work must have been difficult, tiredness suddenly hits you doesn't it, well it does me. I have never actually been off sick but that is because I planned the timing between teaching face to face days and the rest of my role is carried out from home. I think I have been overdoing that a bit though, even so.

I hope today at work is going well and your weight loss sounds great.

Take care

Claire

Hi everyone !

So I have been with this site for a very long time, when it was called lapband chat. I have lapband in nov 2009. I weigh in at 242 got all the way down to 170. No matter how much i followed the rules I could not get under that number and never got to a health BMI. Went to my surgeon in Maine for help in oct 2013 because now I was having abdominal pain off and on with n/v and also new onset of GERD long story short they would not help me and told me insurance would never cover me, Met a girl on a FB chat of failed lap band she introduce me to the idea of seeing her surgeon (all the way in texas) the rest is history. I am 8 day post op doing good trying to get all my fluids in its hard for me ! I have not and will not weigh until I see my PCP on the 13th ! love reading all the threads good luck to everyone!

Ok guys...my surgery was rescheduled from 5:45 pm to 9:45am...have to be there at 6:15 and leave the house by 4:30. I'm getting really really scared again. My girls have both come to me so worried. I've tried to reassure them but...i have these breakdown moments too...did everybody have doubts?? Did everybody feel a little worried?? I know I want this, but my mind keeps going..."what if". I'm a pretty scared person as it is, super anxious and worry about a lot of things but...I don't know...I just need reassurance I will be ok.. :'(

Dreamingbig...I can promise you that I know exactly how you're feeling. The few days before my surgery I just forced myself to show up cuz if I thought too much about it I would panic. It's scary, but the surgery was really over before I knew it. Just keep showing up and get through it. You'll do great!!

I'm having a hard time taking my vitamins/medications lately. They seem to get stuck. Then I can't eat or drink anything for awhile. It's so hard as it is already with timing fluids, eating/drinking, and the meds. If I have to wait 30 minutes to drink after each one, I'll never get anything in!

Anyone else have problems with this?

Switch to gummy vitamins. They go down so much easier.

Dreamingbig...I can promise you that I know exactly how you're feeling. The few days before my surgery I just forced myself to show up cuz if I thought too much about it I would panic. It's scary, but the surgery was really over before I knew it. Just keep showing up and get through it. You'll do great!!

Thanks Sarahgirrl...I appreciate you!!!

Thanks Sarahgirrl...I appreciate you!!!

Dreaming,

You've got this!!!! It's scary. There is no doubt. But you are going to be so much better off! Be brave. Set the example. No more living in fear!

Dreaming, You've got this!!!! It's scary. There is no doubt. But you are going to be so much better off! Be brave. Set the example. No more living in fear!

Thanks princessErin, I hope you are right. I just came across a couple of threads that scared the poo right out of me and my nerves are so high....

Sigh...

I need liquid ideas! I'm still not fond of plain Water. I have crystal light iced tea, lemonade, pink lemonade, and fruit punch. I'm also drinking flavored water off and on but I'm so tired of this! Any other low calorie/sugar drink ideas. I don't like watered down juice or anything like that. I'm doing good with food but I want other things to drink.