Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2014 post op losers

Okay guys I'm getting very frustrated!

I'm a couple days short of being 2 weeks post op and I'm already at a stall. All the weight I've lost is from the first week after surgery. I hate that the weight loss has already slowed down and practically stopped.

I know obviously I'm going to start losing again but this early in the game is real frustrating.

Also I've finally experienced something getting stuck. Oh that it's horrible. I wasn't paying attention to my chewing and swallowed my scrambled egg to soon. Ouch!

I'm glad to hear that i am not the only one in a stall, I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong. I was told I needed to up my Protein so maybe that will help.

Just a heads up for all in the puree stage and beyond... A small cup of Wendy's Chili is 20 grams of Protein, and DELICIOUS! I was only able to manage 6 bites in two settings but man I was sooo happy:)

Just a heads up for all in the puree stage and beyond... A small cup of Wendy's Chili is 20 grams of Protein, and DELICIOUS! I was only able to manage 6 bites in two settings but man I was sooo happy:)

I got a large chili the other day, and put half in my blender to blend up the meat and Beans and ate it with no problem. So I got two big meals out of a large one. It was also soo good compared to my meals lately. Thanks for letting me know about the protein in it, I had no idea. :)

Hi,

It seems all of us are having similar problems with not always losing weight like we would like, that is very reassuring!

Interesting about normal foods. I had BBQ chicken pureed last night and managed a very small amount of it. It was good to have something with more flavour.

I am planning to have the salmon croquettes and the egg/cheese thing as soon as possible, thanks for the recipes.< /p>

Claire

Wendy's chili was my go-to food when I was out too long and wanted a quick, hot meal.

Try not to weigh yourselves so often so you don't get discouraged. And don't compare your progress to anyone else's for the same reason. Everyone loses at their own rate and there are many factors that affect how fast or slow you lose. Starting weight (and how much you have to lose), activity levels, age, gender, complications, your general health at time of surgery, Constipation, too much sodium, and possibly other things I can't think of right now. It takes 3500 calories to gain one pound - none of us is capable of eating that much, especially in the early days following surgery. The weight will come off if you follow your doctor's instructions as closely as possible. Celebrate your non-scale successes. Things like fitting into a smaller size, being able to do something you couldn't before, not needing that medicine, walking farther than you could, being able to play with your kids, having joint pain ease up, seatbelt fitting better - and so many other things that you will notice. It's not ALL about the scale - it's about LIVING your life, happier and healthier. :-)

Hi everyone:

I was sleeved on feb 21. I had a little pain, but overall it was a very positive experience. The staff at St. Alexius was really great.

I've been home for a couple of days and still adjusting to it all. Lots of gas and I think related has pain, but I'm not sure. Having trouble getting all the Protein and fluids in but I'm getting more in every day. Thanks so much for starting this thread. It helps to know about how others are experiencing the same thing.

Hello Losers!!! I had my rny 2/20. I feel better each day, only uncomfortable at night because I love to sleep in my stomach. I went to the mall yesterday & did pretty good got a little winded but I was ok. Popsicles & Water are my favs. Good Luck on ur new journey.

Just found this forum 2 weeks post op and down 25 lbs no other issues so far doing great.

Hi to you all,

So glad that you are all doing so well. My bypass was just over 2 weeks ago too. I am still finding it difficult to have more than Soups and smoothies, but I am trying. On my regime I should have doing this from Day 1, but they all vary. Otherwise feeling fine and haven't been in pain since the day of the op and everything else is great.

Take care

Claire

I don't have anything of note to report. That's good news because it means I'm finding some balance.

To be honest I spent a lot of the last few weeks in misery. Between head hunger, frustration. food habits and not being able to eat much of anything, I truly felt overwhelmed and a little defeated.

It's been clicking in my head, though. Eat slowly. Small bites. Tiny, tiny portions. The lessons are being learned and I am doing ok!

At work I drink my flavored water and eat mostly luquidy type stuff like yogurt and Soup. It saves me any embarrassment from not tolerating a food or eating too fast and getting sick.

At home I try to have some variation of what I've cooked for my family. I have a few staples on hand that I enjoy in case that isn't a possibility.

I don't do the Protein Shakes. I just hate them.

I'm down almost 18 pounds. I'm not going to complain. I thought it would be more but I think it's still more progress than I would've made without this surgery.

Some of my favorites are avocado (nnegrates fault), laughing cow cheese, a small egg cooked with a bit of cream cheese to add fluffiness, and Cambell's chicken noodle soup. I've been enjoying yogurt as well. I just take a different one every day.

Today I tried a string cheese on my way home from work. I think it will be ok but I need to eat it sloooowwly.

How are you guys?

Hey Losers!!! First post op appt since surgery 2/20 & I'm down 20lbs....... It feels so good.

Hey guys, it seems like everyone is getting the hang of things a little bit at a time.

I feel like I'm way ahead for only been a little over 2 weeks out. I pretty much eat what I want I just chew it to mush before swallowing.

My dietitian told me to only eat blended things. Like I have to put everything in the blender. I'm not supposed to eat soft foods for another 2 weeks but I've already eaten types of chicken, I had a few small meatballs and mashed potatoes for dinner today. I'm not losing weight much since eating regular food and it's disappointing but that's okay.

I also feel thirsty all time, granted I use to chug drinks and now I can only sip.

These new changes are still pretty hard but I'm getting there pretty fast. :)

I don't have anything of note to report. That's good news because it means I'm finding some balance.

To be honest I spent a lot of the last few weeks in misery. Between head hunger, frustration. food habits and not being able to eat much of anything, I truly felt overwhelmed and a little defeated.

It's been clicking in my head, though. Eat slowly. Small bites. Tiny, tiny portions. The lessons are being learned and I am doing ok!

At work I drink my flavored water and eat mostly luquidy type stuff like yogurt and Soup. It saves me any embarrassment from not tolerating a food or eating too fast and getting sick.

At home I try to have some variation of what I've cooked for my family. I have a few staples on hand that I enjoy in case that isn't a possibility.

I don't do the Protein Shakes. I just hate them.

I'm down almost 18 pounds. I'm not going to complain. I thought it would be more but I think it's still more progress than I would've made without this surgery.

Some of my favorites are avocado (nnegrates fault), laughing cow cheese, a small egg cooked with a bit of cream cheese to add fluffiness, and Cambell's chicken noodle soup. I've been enjoying yogurt as well. I just take a different one every day.

Today I tried a string cheese on my way home from work. I think it will be ok but I need to eat it sloooowwly.

How are you guys?

Hi Erin,

Well that sounds so familiar to me too. I was expecting to feel this way, but it doesn't make it easier. I have been struggling to have pureed foods at all, which on my regime i should be. Soups and smoothies seem ok so that is good because it means that I haven't had any problems with any particular foods. I am still aiming strongly for crab cakes on holiday in May, in fact it is the only thing I am hanging on to! When people are rushed or stressed, even years down the line they seem to have difficulty keeping things down, from what I have read on my other smaller forum in the UK. That is deeply concerning, because I just want to know that things are "safe" when I am out and about. Like you I am relying on soups and yogurts when I am out of the house. I am trying to have pureed stuff when I am at home. The other night I got close to what some people talk about in terms of things getting stuck, and I only managed 2 teaspoons of it before it happened. Last night I did manage something better than that. It was BBQ chicken but made sloppier with soured cream with a little potato which felt easier to swallow. So that was more of a success.

I just want to see progress on the eating front and to rejoin life much more. It feels like even when I am out that I feel left out of things. I think that having done 3 weeks of the pre op diet it feels like forever now and I can't imagine being able to just eat something (anything!) without worrying about what it might do. It feels like it has taken over my life and I was eating healthily on my Slimming World Plan for almost 4 years before but that was a walk in the park in comparison to this. I know it is early days and I am impatient but it is thinking that problems won't necessarily go away completely in the future that worries me, even if I stick to small sizes and safe foods.

Thanks for posting this Erin, I thought it was just me. I hope you are enjoying your new job.

Take care

Claire

Hi Tkauhi,

Glad to hear you are doing good so far!! 17lbs is amazing. My doctor told me I was extremely ahead of schedule when I went in last week. As of today I am about 30lbs down. I went almost a week without loosing anything and was in tears over it until my doctor told me not to stress and stop weighing myself everyday before I go crazy!

I get those bad cramps still with certain things but I also have been constipated most of the time since surgery. It's been a slight battle. As of today I was allowed to eat puréed foods/very soft foods. I had some egg beaters this morning with some salsa, some refried Beans this after noon and then some ricotta cheese with marinara sauce and some cooked zucchini for dinner. The hard part has been getting in my Protein and liquids because I don't feel like I have the room and most everything I drink tastes like dirt lately. Tomorrow the plan is to try some cottage cheese and maybe some tofu with teriyaki sauce.

Maybe try food again not but make sure they are really soft. Google "Bariatric bypass diet" and a few links will pull up. Some have full on menus that have been really helpful. Hang in there and don't give up on trying food... Just be careful on what kind.

Hi FAB,

I will google as you suggest. It is good to know how others are coping and what they are managing to eat. You sound like you are doing really well and I think you are a week ahead of me.

Thanks

Claire