Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've Turned My Back On Excercise

Don't want to do it, ugh mad at me

Find something you like to do. Take baby steps, and stop beating yourself up. Trust me, that won't help.

you can lose w/o exercise...just go slower is all......and if you dont want to exercise, def make sure you do not take in more calories than you can burn off.......BUT if you do exercise (heck when i started i was only able to march in place for 3 minutes--true story).....imagine how much you could lose.....and i am not talking scale numbers....those go up and down all day long.......i am talking inches lost.....losing inches by exercising is a strong motivation to get up and do it.......even if you dont want too..

i didnt want to work out yesterday...my knee hurt...but i did it anyhow

because i needed too.....so can you......if you want.

I hear you. I have always put off exercise. Over the past few years, the excess weight has just continued to make exercise that much harder, hence, more excuses.

I am 2 weeks post op VSG and knowing I have to change my behaviors and habits I was feeling guilty that I hadn't done anything proactive yet in the exercise dept. I have been up and around since the hospital, shopping, grocery store, laundry, etc so I'm moving but that's not the same thing. Plus I live in CO and it's been cold so....excuse.

Yesterday...I put on my tennis shoes and walked outside for 20 minutes. Granted, my husband, who has been very supportive...more than any other time, coaxed me a little but I did it and he went with me. I'll take some credit as he has tried to get me to exercise many many times in the past without success.

I am really focused on changing behaviors....the eating part will likely be the easiest now in these 1st 6 months to a year but I want to be ready for when the surgery isn't so "new" for me and the complacency can set in.

I know that exercise is they key not only to maintenance, once I'm there but will help my energy level and productivity which I need desperately to improve.

I have stopped hoping to turn into the person who loves working out and can't live without it. It's not going to happen. But I don't particularly love brushing my teeth or fueling my car but it's just part of my life and I have to do it. I spend more time feeling guilty about not doing it then doing it would actually take. I agree with finding something you love...that's tough for me right now because with so many aches and pains and being uncomfortable around others doing it...I haven't quite found that. But I'll keep pushing through it and maybe something will surprise me.

Having an exercise partner really helps me. I don't want to let her down; she doesn't want to let me down. It's a mutually-beneficial arrangement as neither of us would be doing it on our own. Sounds like your husband might be a good walking partner. He would benefit from that and maybe that's a good enough incentive right there. And he can do it for you. You get the idea......

Sometimes I call a friend to go walking with me. We jump in our cars and meet up at a lake we like to walk around. We always yack a lot so it's great therapy, too -- and sometimes driving over there I catch myself thinking, "why did I call, now I have to do it!" But every time on the drive home I am saying to myself, "I did it -- I feel good. Yippee!"

You are going to get this thing, I know it.

rmub, I think if we are all be honest that at first no one really wanted to exercise, but..... it really helps with losing the weight and toning up the flabby bits that you can get when you lose the weight fast in the beginning. I have a routine now that works for me and I feel weird when I don't get my exercise in Find something you like to do, do you like to dance? Start by just putting on some records that you like and dance around to them. Doesn't matter what you look like as long as you do it consistantly everyday even if it's only 10-15 minutes at first. Once you build up your time to say maybe 30 minutes you might want to look into a zumba class or cardio salsa class, they are lots of fun and it doesn't feel like exercising, though you will sweat. Once you build a routine for yourself you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Good Luck!

Don't want to do it, ugh mad at me

I would have to say the hardest part is taking the first step but once your going, you definitely feel when you miss a day! Lol, I don't think I've ever known someone who complained AFTER a workout! Good luck!:)

Shot out to all of you fabulous people who kicked my but and said stop the excuses, I have been doing amazing, Latin beat every Monday, controlling my diet, feeling great! I'm swearing off the scale, for a while I feel my self thinner and fabulous, great day and good luck to you all.

every person is different and my response will be totally off the wall compared to others! I love to exercise, LUV it, but if I want to lose weight, I can't exervcise!! Seriously! I am a 3 year vet and have tried every combination there is - low carb/low cal, low carb/high cal, intermitent fasting, insanity cardio, running, etc etc etc. I love it, feel great, but exercise does not make my scale budge. The only thing that makes my scale budge - for me personally- is low cal, low carb, and the only thing that changes my body composition -for me personally- is intense weight lifting.

Okay I have a fitbit that tracks my movements through out the day. I had surgery on Nov 25 so tonight I decided to see exactly how things are looking. I realized for the month of January I moved 3/4 of a mile a day more than I did in the month of December that is 22 more miles for the month of January and they had the same number of days in them. I am not by any means a walking or running queen we are still looking at really low numbers but I am really proud that I am moving more.

When I don't feel like working out I just drive to the gym....I find that once I step into the place there is no way I am going to let someone see me leave after just getting there! 30 mins (at a minimum) later I feel FANTASTIC!!

There are basically 2 types of body fat.....subcutaneous, under the skin.....and visceral, surrounding the organs....

Visceral, IMO is a killer, and the hardest to get rid of.....the only way I know of to get rid of it is to work the entire body....and the only way to do,that is to exercise....

For me, the way I got rid of it was by running.....running is one of the best exercises to work the entire body at the some time....also got rid of all the subcutaneous fat also.....

You can burn a calories by burning the food you just ate, or you can burn calories by using stored fat.....I prefer the stored fat route.....