Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know Decafe is recommended and I started that about 3 months pre-op.

my question is when did you coffee drinkers have your first cup of coffee? I usually have Decafe with 1/2 and 1/2.

It hasn't sounded good to me yet so I wondered when others started drinking coffee again. I am six days out.

Still have that nasty tug and burn from the big incision, but otherwise, doing very well.

Umm.. I was never told not to drink caffeine so I had my caffeinated coffee as soon as I got home. I'm from Seattle so caffeinated coffee is on the same level as air for us.

We were allowed coffee too. I probably started about 5-7 days out. Wasn't interested before then. Now I have a cup in the morning, and usually that's it.

I tapered by increasing the Decaf to 100% over time, then tapered all coffee to ZERO before surgery. After surgery, about week 2 I restarted coffee.< /p>

Here's the deal, I now drink it black. And prefer it black.

I drank CAFFEINATED - never will do Decaf, ever - coffee 1 week post op and have been drinking it every day since. Just because something is recommended (giving up caffeine post surgery) doesn't mean it's actually medically necessary. But I don't count coffee in my daily Water intake. It can be a diuretic for me, so I drink to compensate.

When my surgeon asked me what I will miss after surgery, I immediately blurted out COFFEE! Joe is my constant morning companion, my anti-depressant, my drug. Hell, he even keeps me regular--that thoughtful Joe. You see, my program dictates no coffee, not even decaf., nada until at least 3 months after surgery. They say it is all too acidic. And I think they are more focused on us staying hydrated, and coffee defeats that. I am in mourning. I started with half-caff. today, and plan to work my way down to Decaf. by the time my pre-surgery diet begins on Dec. 4th. :(

My dr didn't restrict caffeine either. I waited about 2 wks howver, not cuz of the caffeine but cuz of the temp. I was so paranoid that too hot/cold liquids would cause a leak. I mustve been unbearable to live with the 1st 2 wks cuz I was so scared of getting a leak. I refused Jello cuz it was too solid for a full liquid diet.

Silly me

Couldn't live without my coffee.

I am 5 days post op and just had my first cup of Decaf today. I enjoy a cup, even if it's decaff.

I mixed mine about 1/2 and 1/2 with a Protein shake - not my favorite, but it did in a pinch. I drank about 1/2 of it (you can't mix hot stuff with the shake mix)

If you like 1/2 and 1/2, So Delicious makes a Coconut Milk Creamer - it's not exactly like 1/2 and 1/2, but it's close and, after a year of using it, I hardly notice the different. Calories are good and 20 calls per 2 T.

Did 100% Decaf today. Probably a bad choice. Jonesing for the caffeine.

I have found myself drinking iced coffee now, hated it before now I love it. I make my own and usually add some Protein Powder Unjury. I am going to get some of the sugar free Torani syryp to flavor one of these days!

One complaint I have about drinking coffee right now...IT GETS COLD BEFORE I CAN FINISH IT!!!!! Currently it takes me about an hour to get down 8 ounces! LOL I'm getting faster, but will probably have to purchase an insulated cup for the future.

I was allowed coffee as soon I got home. I was sleeved 2 weeks ago and have only had a few cups so far. I don't seem enjoy it as much as I used too.

My doctor didn't not have a caffeine restriction either so I had my first cup 2 days after surgery. Since we are hardly eating/drinking the first 2 months a reasonable amount of coffee helped with the bathroom situation.

Today I am on tea, with no caffeine, and no headache. I will stay off caffeine until after surgery and then see how long I can manage without it. It's getting up before dawn for work that is my issue, I could learn to live without it otherwise, but man, I am so not a morning person!

Both my surgeon and nut told me they no longer restrict caffeine or coffee. They said in the past they did restrict it no longer think its necessary.

My hobby is roasting coffee and modifying (improving) espresso machines so this was welcome feedback.