Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Peeves you?

My Pig-poodle is not fat..this stinker is very fit!.

My oldest dog eventhough he is "fixed" he is still very territorial. He fights with the poodle when I go outside, almost like saying " Hey, I'm still good and brave, watch me ! I want to give the poodle to the same place place where we got the other two from. They love animals, they even make you fill a questionare in order for anybody to be able to adopt.

Now..my husband just won't give into my idea. I guess I will give HIM up for adoption lol

Hi Green!!!

I promised no more French-speaking!! Because I do understand that is impolite to the other people in the room. But thank you for speaking your very nice and fancy french with me... you are a doll!!!

How about people who abandon their pets because they are having a baby or moving? What a lame excuse for their callousness and laziness. Pets are a lifetime (their lifetime) commitment.

A friend of mine, who has 14 cats, was considering having a baby a few years ago. When we were talking about, I said that I hoped her child would not be allergic to cats. She said, "I hope so, too, because I'd hate to have to get rid of my baby." I thought that was hilarious.

People who abandon their animals enrage me. I have always made a point of taking in adult cats, the ones that people no longer want or can care for. During the last couple of decades my mate and I have taken in two pregnant strays, one abandoned male, a couple of cats who needed rehousing because they were living in houses who took in needy animals, a cat whose owner died, and a couple of frisky teenage brothers who were causing discord between their owner and his new live-in girlfriend. For a long time we lived with a foul tempered cockatiel who had needed a new home.

Though we live in a three story house we do have one rule: though we much prefer to live with two cats the absolutely maximum number of cats that we will live with at any one time is three. I am afraid that if we relax this rule we will end up sliding down hill into the zone of total dysfunction and onto the front page of the tabloids. :)

The issue of animal abandonment is a big one where I live. Country folk complain that when the city people return to the city at the end of each summer they leave behind them a raft of family pets. I worked with a woman who eventually confessed to me that when she moved from her appartment into her new house she left her cat, Muffin, behind. I was plenty horrified; I would have taken the cat in.

In my opinion a animal is much like a child: don't take on the responsibility for another living creature unless you are prepared to carry it through. Get yourself a furby instead.

I don't get animal abandonment. We see our dog as a child. Yes, we're those silly people who refer to each other as "mommy" and "daddy" when we talk to the dog. So yeah, we're those silly people who also talk to the dog. :)

This will sound like "Oh, I'm such a great pet owner" and I don't mean it that way. The story is the story. The point is the question that was asked... and the fact that is has to be asked.

One night our dog started vomitting, and it continued all night. We stayed up with him keeping him comforted and trying to encourage drinking Water as much as we could. Took him to the vet, vet said he didn't think it was a big deal, keep an eye om him. The vomitting continued through the morning, and then our dog started to vomit and excrete blood. When I saw that I froze in a moment of pure panic. I made the hour and a half drive to the vet in under 40 minutes. As the vet is looking him over he says, "I don't really know what's wrong, I don't think it's anything major, but some of these tests can be kind of expensive. And he's dehydrated, so I want to get him set up on an IV. Some of this treatment can be kind of expensive. Do you want me to go ahead and do it?"

I was like - what? Of course you do it! Because to me, it was unthinkable that cost would determine whether or not our dog got the care it needed. So I told him, "I don't care what it costs. If you think it will help, then you do it." And I didn't care what it was going to cost. It was the farthest thing from my mind. But apparently a lot of people do care - enough so that it's something the vet forewarns about. To me, what he did would be no different than taking my husband to the doctor with the same symptoms, and having the doctor say, "Well, something serious might be wrong, but tests are expensive, should I go ahead and do it?" Such a no brainer to me. Because emergencies are part of having life, and if you can't handle the emergencies that come up, you don't need the pet. I just can't accept that letting a pet die because someone thinks the treatments are too expensive is valid.

And I hate seeing animals left in cars during the summer/winter. Uh uh, don't do it where I can see it happen, or you're not going to be very happy with the consequences.

Another pet peeve (literally) is when people get an animal (dog in particular) and leave it locked up in a cage while they are at work all day or night. I understand not wanting your house to get ruined, but that thought should have entered your mind before the animal became part of your family. Confining your animal for so long is cruel!

Not putting the dog in a cage/kennel for a period can actually be meaner sometimes. Leaving them alone in a big area (to them) can be overwhelming and they can be anxious and respond in ways that are destructive. It isn't good for the dog. Crate training can be kinder (especially if the dog is a puppy learning to be housebroken). When our dog was a puppy she had a dog kennel she would sleep in or go in when left alone. Naturally she would whine and moan like we were tortuing her. But we would discover her sleeping in there on her own during the day (the door would get left open) and she would have a toy in there with her, and she got a treat when she went in the kennel... And she went to sleep just fine. Then as she got older she was left out of it alone in the house for short periods of time (like 15 minutes) that gradually increased and now she behaves great and can be alone all day-- well except for her tendancy to sleep on the couch (and drool).

Leaving the door open as a choice is a different story. I know people who keep their dogs in the cage for hours on end - only taking them out for a walk or two a day. My point is, just like with a child, if you don't have the time for them or can't be bothered to take care of them - don't have them. Caged or free, animals thrive on interaction with people. I think it is cruel for them to be left alone for long periods of time on a consistent basis. I grew up with a dog and a cat in my home. Luckily, my family situation was one that afforded someone to be at home with them most of the time though. I would love to get another dog now. I totally miss the companionship animals brought into my home growing up. My husband always tries to talk me into getting a dog. While I would love to, I just can't convince myself we would be able to provide him/her with the best home. We both work. Leaving the house at 6 AM and often not returning until around 6 PM. I personally think that leaving an animal alone for 12 hours a day on a regular basis is unfair to him or her - caged or uncaged, but especially caged.

Because to me, it was unthinkable that cost would determine whether or not our dog got the care it needed. So I told him, "I don't care what it costs. If you think it will help, then you do it." And I didn't care what it was going to cost. It was the farthest thing from my mind.

I've had the same experience at an emergency vet clinic. My dearly loved cat had an embolism, so I rushed her to the clinic in the middle of the night. I was beyond hysterical, blubbering to the point that no one could understand me. I don't cry easily, but I knew how serious her condition was. Thank god my boyfriend was with me to do the talking for me. The vet kept telling me that the prognosis was not good and repeating that it would cost a lot of money to stabilize her. With the way I was crying, couldn't he tell how much I loved her? Money didn't matter, and I had to tell him that at least 5 times before he got the point. Sadly, the treatment didn't work and she passed away, but at least I did what I could to help her.

My cats are like children to me. I spent 9 nine years giving one of my cats chemotherapy for lymphoma, and I currently have a 16 yr old cat with kidney disease. The cost of keeping him alive and comfortable is about $600 per month. It may be a strain on me, but I couldn't live with myself if I did any less. I just can't understand people who treat their animals like objects instead of the sweet, loving, sensitive creatures that they really are.

Okay, I have a perfect example of something that totally peeves me off. I was banded 11-22-06 and have lost so far about 35 lbs. I am starting to feel pretty good about myself and for the first time in years, literally, have felt like joining the rest of the planet in some social activity. My 15 year old daughter has begged me to take ballroom dance lessons with her for the past year. Well, tonight we finally started, with an adult education class at a local high school. There were about 19 people, mostly all my age or older. The class was 2 hours long and I had so much fun. During the evening, I danced with one older gentleman, who seemed a little gruff...I figure maybe he is a widower, so I overlooked his critical comments on my dancing ability and his overblown opinion of himself....(classic know-it-all.) By the end of the class, I felt so, so wonderful and was thinking, you know, this wasn't so bad, I can do this...great exercise and everything. Then, he comes up to me and says "you know, you're a really hefty lady...what I want you to do is go home and practice walking up stairs on the balls of your feet so that you can get some muscles in your legs, which you need if you want to dance." I was totally deflated and mortified that he would say that to me, a stranger, in front of the rest of the class. I felt like I was in the 7th grade again and I just wanted to run to the nearest exit and burst into tears. I mean, where do people get off saying things like this?? I would never think to say to him, "you know, you dance pretty well for a octogenarion with extremly awful breath...what I want you to do is brush your teeth really well before you come to class next time, you rude asshole."

It's like when you're fat, people think they can say whatever the heck ever they feel like, and its acceptable....because, well...your fat.

AAAAGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

Another peeve is people who rip out pages in magazines in the doctor's office. Get a piece of paper and write down that recipe that you want! Don't ruin the magazine for the rest of us.

That is awful Riley. I am angry for you. Don't let him discourage you from going back to the class though. When the timing is right, I think you shoudl totally use your bad breath remark!!! OR just step on his toes several times during the next class, hee hee hee

It's like when you're fat, people think they can say whatever the heck ever they feel like, and its acceptable....because, well...your fat.

AAAAGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

Yes, it seems that prejudice toward fat people is the only socially acceptable prejudice left in our society. And unfortunately, I don't think it's ever going to go away. I'm so sorry he ruined your evening.

When having a conversation with someone and they answer their cell phone...and make you stand there...and stand there...waiting.

I think its so rude. 99% of the time...its not an emergency or even mildly urgent...just chit chat. Bothers me a lot.

Ppl who don't wash hands after using the restroom. GROSS!!!! I have a positive phobia about this. I am telling you, stand and watch. So many ppl don't wash their hands. Ewwwww.

Parents who allow their children to misbehave in public. Kids who are throwing loud and noisy temper tantrums should be removed from public areas.

Those drivers who have the base on the radio SO LOUD, it rattles the windows. It is another of those things I consider very rude. I am sure they think they are very "cool", but its just rude. I don't want to listen to it. It has actually given me a headache in the past.

People who come to my house to visit Who are sick with a cold or flu! and bring there sick running nose kids over who are sick. Please stay home then come over. Is it not that to hard figure out.

Knocking on my door at Four am drunk and ask what are you doing?

gee thanks I, had to get up at five oclock to go to work.

Last one, late night phone calls If your broke down or need help give me a call. not when your drunk and just drove your truck through a bridge railing and the police are chasing you in the woods! Thats your problem?