Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Peeves you?

Indeed. I think it's George Carlin (could easily be wrong) who has a skit about this. These probably aren't his examples, but you'll get the idea:

Tomb = "toom"

Bomb = "boom"? No, "bawmb"

Comb = "cawmb"? No, "cohmb"

Tough = "tuff"

Cough = "cuff"? No, "cawf"

Rough = "rawf"? No, "ruff"

I heard a fellow interviewed once who was head of the British Society for the Advancement of Phonetic Spelling or something like that.

He made the point that with the spelling of numbers, English is the only language that has so many that are difficult for a beginning speller.

One

Two

Four

Eight

are the worst culprits.

Wheetsin, I stand corrected! I just assumed that the other pronunciations were wrong because I never heard them until the last 10 years or so.

However, if clique can be click, how come antique isn't antick, oblique oblick, etc. Go figure, hey?

Devana, up here in Canada cleekish is the correct pronounciation of clicquish, and cleek is more commonly used than click. This is due to our French heritage, I believe. Clique is a word which we have lifted - spelling and all - from the French. Its meaning is the same in French, by the way.

My biggest pet peeve is when patients show up for an appointment a day or two early, and expect to just be worked in, and are rude about it.

I also hate hate hate people who pass you in the right lane, which is going to end soon, you know this because the sign says lane ends. Then they slam on their brakes and try to turn left, and you have to wait behind them.

My most recent pet peeve is... well... ME !!!!

For the past 2 weekends I have gained 5 pounds in 2 days. Last weekend I didn't get to the gym on Friday or Saturday. I made poor food choices due to Superbowl party temptations and woke up on Monday morning 5 lbs heavier than I was on Saturday Morning. I had finally gotten to 160 lbs... Only 1 pound from meeting my Valentine's Day challenge goal of entering the 150's. It took me all week to work my way back down to 160, but I did it. By Saturday afternoon, my scale one again read 160 lbs. But Saturday night I attended my friend's Passion Party. I swore I was going to be good so that I wouldn't end up in the same boat as the week before, but 2-3 glasses of red wine later and, smart food choices went right out the window!!!!! I just weighed myself and I'm back up to 164.5 lbs.... ARRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

So it looks like I will not be achieving my Valentine's Day goal after all. Hopefully it is a lesson learned though.

Why does it take 2 seconds to put on and 2 years to get it off???

Another pet peeve...

This evening my husband, son and I went to dinner at Applebee's.

There was this guy there with his 2 small children (I would guess about 2 yrs. old and 10 months old. They were both in high chairs.) The oldest started to teeter on the edge of the high chair and and the father was totally oblivious to the potential disaster about to happen. I couldn't stand it any longer and I loudly told him "Would you please pay attention to your child?! She is going to fall out of that high chair! His response "Naw, she won't fall." So now he's freakin' clairvoyant! I was ballistic! If he spent half as much time watching out for his kids instead of making them babies, he would know that it only takes a second for a child to miss their footing and take a tumble. He's the one who will end up in the E.R. because his children will need stitches or a cast for a broken bone, because he was negligent.

Whew ... glad I got this off my chest.

I agree Terrilean....I hate the whole "press one for English" thing. Why shouldn't English be the default and everyone else has to "press one"?

On the subject of parenting, we all do it our own way. I think disposable diapers are one of the evils of the world and breast is best, but I dont think everone has to do it that way. I wish people would educate themselves on cloth diapers, big squares and pins are the old way of doing it, its a new world out there now. But everytime the topic comes up, I only have to say "we did cloth" and all the disposable people come down on you like a ton of bricks, accusing you of being judgemental and denying there's anything bad about dispsoable nappies for their babies or the environment. When all I ever said was "we did cloth" and I didnt even instigate the conversation!.

Or "we breastfeed". Similar, the minute its mentioned in conversation, when you didnt even bring up the topic, every bottle feeding parent present launches into a tirade about how judgemental breastfeeding mothers are! It really annoys me.

The best thing is that there's CHOICE for us now, thank goodness if breastfeeding isnt possible or doesnt work or if you simply dont want to do it, there's a healthy viable substitute for your baby. I've never made judgements on that but it seems the very act of breastfeeding deeply offends some people who feel so defensive about their own choices that they have to jump in and start an argument where there was none to be had.

When I was working in social services, we tried buying cloth diapers and giving them to low-income moms as a means of cutting their monthly expenses. The program was a huge failure. The convenience of disposables often outweighs any environmental concerns. Humans, by and large, are lazy and self-serving.

Disposable diapers, by the way, remain in landfills for hundreds of years. They are among the world's worst pollutants.

Ok, I have lots of pet peeves, well because I am a b....anyways. MY BIGGEST...

Blowing your nose at the table especially in a resturant. Good lord, it's gross and disgusting! No one want to hear it, see it or worry if you are going to blow snot on them, please get off your lazy a$$ and go to the bathroom if you need to blow! That includes my dumb hubby! grr.....

Devana, up here in Canada cleekish is the correct pronounciation of clicquish, and cleek is more commonly used than click. This is due to our French heritage, I believe. Clique is a word which we have lifted - spelling and all - from the French. Its meaning is the same in French, by the way.

Perhaps that's why I thought the other pronunciation was "wrong", I just had never heard it that way. I've always heard "cleekish".

I'll have to stop being irritated like hell when I hear it pronounced the other way now!

My entry today is being sent in for my neighbor, and my DD! I was reading the new posts when my DD come in, and she so related to Jachut's comments on diapering! She too cloth diapered. I did not, I lived in a walk up apt. with no washer, I did disposable. Then again, we still had square cloths and pins---and nasty plastic/rubber pants. My DD used cloth diapers, they had snaps, and velcro, and fleece liners, and she made woolies to go over them, little knitted wool panties, that work like the old plastic/rubber pants. In fact she and the neighbor now make and sell them via ebay(and make shocking $$$$)---and that leads to their peeve---friends and family who EXPECT to be given the product...but if left to buy it, would not. Thereby ignoring that neither the materials nor the time is free---but they don't care.

Kat

Kat, I made HUGE dollars on ebay making cloth nappies the entire time. Its big business! There's entire forums devoted to it and women call themselves "hyenas" and its ALL about getting your hands on a certain wool soaker or a First Class Baby hemp or a Little Caboose all in one or whatever. Its insane, you just wouldnt believe what's out there! Its actually a lot of fun and makes one very boring and tedious task into a hobby.

Why do mens underwear cost so much less that ladies and Why do they make mens underwear with nice flat felled seams and on ladies they just use a serger, and they serge the elastic too and it makes these sharp edges that put huge dents in your skin!!! Why do we have to get the bras that cost fifty bucks for one that fits and men get three t'shirts in one pkg for fifteen bucks.

I cant understand why we arent totally boycotting panties that arent made as nicely as mens, you know with softer, thicker cotton with those nice flat felled seams!!!:):D:) :angry :)

Why do mens underwear cost so much less that ladies and Why do they make mens underwear with nice flat felled seams and on ladies they just use a serger, and they serge the elastic too and it makes these sharp edges that put huge dents in your skin!!! Why do we have to get the bras that cost fifty bucks for one that fits and men get three t'shirts in one pkg for fifteen bucks.

I cant understand why we arent totally boycotting panties that arent made as nicely as mens, you know with softer, thicker cotton with those nice flat felled seams!!!:):D:) :angry :)

I agree, and men get so much more use out of them! THEY wear them until there is nothing left and the holes in their butt shine out like the moon! I have to tear my DH in half once they get nasty because he so does not care if his butt is falling out! :angry

My pet peeve is not receiving a Thank You card for wedding gifts, baby shower gifts, funerals, etc.....

Driving across parking lots and then they look at you like your CRAZY when they almost hit you. I have been guilty of this, but only if its like early morning and there are NO cars there at all