Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Peeves you?

You two exchanging in French---reminds me of another!!! Where I live we border a reservation, and it truly irritates me to no end to walk in a room where people suddenly begin speaking in Navajo, and pointing----yes pointing!!! Knowing I cannot understand---little do they know, I DO understand some of it! And ironically, most of the time, they are not even talking about who they point at---lame immature games---lame immature people where my DH works!!! I got the same attitude at a Nail Salon I once went to, they all jabbered in another language, laughing and pointing at a womans feet they were giving a pedicure, when she talked to them, they ignored her. I was on my way out, I told her I bet if you refuse to understand how much they want you to pay, they suddenly will talk to you. I never went back, and told everyone I know!!! Small town...big mouth....works wonders!!!

No offense meant towards your conversation, it just triggered my memory!!! I had to giggle, at the wonderful French conversation, and it centering around Texas and Mexico!!! Se Habla Espanol!! Or something like that!!! lol

Kat

You two exchanging in French---reminds me of another!!! Where I live we border a reservation, and it truly irritates me to no end to walk in a room where people suddenly begin speaking in Navajo, and pointing----yes pointing!!! Knowing I cannot understand---little do they know, I DO understand some of it! And ironically, most of the time, they are not even talking about who they point at---lame immature games---lame immature people where my DH works!!! I got the same attitude at a Nail Salon I once went to, they all jabbered in another language, laughing and pointing at a womans feet they were giving a pedicure, when she talked to them, they ignored her. I was on my way out, I told her I bet if you refuse to understand how much they want you to pay, they suddenly will talk to you. I never went back, and told everyone I know!!! Small town...big mouth....works wonders!!!

No offense meant towards your conversation, it just triggered my memory!!! I had to giggle, at the wonderful French conversation, and it centering around Texas and Mexico!!! Se Habla Espanol!! Or something like that!!! lol

Kat

Wow! You know some Navaho! That interests me a lot because this would be a language which would be entirely different from any of the European ones. I think people who know other languages are lucky. My father spoke about 7 languages and this helped him out a lot when he was selling houses to immigrants. He could listen in on them while they were talking amongst themselves and have a much more honest view of what they really wanted.

As for me, I used to live in France and was at ease in the language. Now I have pretty much forgotten everything I once knew. :cry And I wish I spoke more than a few words of Spanish because I adore Mexico.

Thanks for being sweet about our conversation in French.:)

Pet Peeves.....hmmm....I'll keep it short but I can't believe some of mine weren't already mentioned...such as....

People who pick their nose while they are driving....do they think that they have a shield around their car making them invisible?

People who pick their nose and wipe it on anything close to them because going to the restroom and using a tissue simply isn't an option.

Generally, people who pick their nose in public.

People who come into the isle you are in, just to pass gas, leaving you to have to walk through it! Sick!!

Anything feet...pedicures,foot fetish, little kids feet, tickling feet....it all gross.

Clutterbugs...it gives me anxiety.....it's okay to let stuff go instead of keeping everything you've ever owned in your 35 years of life and displaying all of it too! Come on!

While I agree with all the 'rude children' comments...I also hate it when I see parents screaming at their kids for trivial stuff or embarassing them in front of a line of 12 people....that's just heartless and stuff like that stays with your kids...save it until you are in your vehicle.

Parents who fill their baby's bottle with chocolate milk or Kool-aid so that the sugar can sit on their gums or new teeth and start the decaying process.

Parents who make their children clean their plate at meal time...Why do adults et to decide when they are full but kids don't? Our rule is simple...no snack or dessert if you are too full to finish dinner.

I could go on and on especially about ones to do with kids...but I should stop.

PS. In Canada we usually use the word 'pop' instead of 'soda'..sorry.:nervous

Here's one. When I go to a store and have a quick and simple question, but wait my turn in line anyway. And then the entire time, the clerk is taking phone calls and making people in line wait to serve the people on the phone. I'm probably not explaining this very well, but I think people physically in the building should have priority, and if someone calls on the phone with a question, you ask them to hold until your line is gone or you tell them you're really busy and ask them to call back. You don't run off to find out their answer, and leave your line standing there.

When the clerks are having a conversation, and I'm standing there like... hello? - that one gets me too.

And (this has happened to me three times in the last week) when I go somewhere and ask a question, or call and ask a question, and I'm treated like an idiot because I didn't know the answer.

And I hate restaurants that make the servers memorize the order, instead of letting them write it down. All it means is that I have to repeat myself 4 different times, and then send back something that's not right.

Mine is people who pop and snap thier gum and don't close thier mouth when chewing. It not only grates on my nerves it also is gross.;)

Oh, ugh! People who chew food with their mouths open and talk with a mouth full of food. I've got a friend who does that!

I hate hate hate really ocker Australian accents. That Steve Irwing type "g'day mate, howzit 'angin?" kind of thing.

I'm a patriotic Aussie but that just makes us sound stupid. We dont all talk like that.

I grew up in Atlanta, Georgia and currently live in Houston, Texas, and I have the same complaint about southern accents. Anytime a Southerner is portrayed on TV or in movies, they make us all sound like stupid hay seeds. I might have a slight accent, but I don't sound like an idiot. And people in Hollywood who don't know the difference between a Southern and Texan accent also irritate the hell out of me. They are 2 different things.

Another peeve as far as language is concerned, is the expression "fixin' to." I hate that. You're not "fixin' to go to the store," you're planning on it or preparing to do it. There's no "fixing" involved. And the use of ain't. While I love Reba and her TV show, her Okie-isms irk me, especially when she says "cain't" instead of "can't."

For the record, I find all derivations of Aussie accents to be charming, even Steve Irwin's. He was always a pleasure to watch. And let's not forget Hugh Jackman, Eric Bana, Nicole Kidman, Mel Gibson, Peta Wilson, Jesse Spencer, Cate Blanchett, and dozens of other actors from Australia who have presented the Aussie accent in such a beautiful manner. At least none of them say "cain't."

Have you ever heard that episode of the Simpsons where Bart rings Australia to see if the toilet swirls the other way here? That Australian accent, oh gosh. Sounds like a demented Cockney! Nobody can do the Australian accent, it always sounds part New Zealander, part South African, part Cockney! There's a lot of old Bugs Bunny cartoons around like that too!

Does Mel still sound Australian to you guys? He certainly doesnt to us, lol. He sounds completely and utterly American.

Does Mel still sound Australian to you guys? He certainly doesnt to us, lol. He sounds completely and utterly American.

He has lost most of his accent, but I still remember him fondly from his Mad Max days. Regardless of accent, I'll probably always love Mel. Can you explain to me why many Australians are so very good at imitating other accents? It seems like Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman, Eric Bana, Cate Blanchett, and Lucy Lawless (I know she's from NZ) can so easily and flawlessly switch from one accent to another. I've been in Texas for almost 20 years and still can't do a Texan accent. In X-Men, Hugh Jackman even nailed the Canadian accent, which is only subtly different from a northern mid-west American accent. Very impressive.

By the way, after reading your peeves, I'm now scared of you. :biggrin1:

Have you ever heard that episode of the Simpsons where Bart rings Australia to see if the toilet swirls the other way here? That Australian accent, oh gosh. Sounds like a demented Cockney! Nobody can do the Australian accent, it always sounds part New Zealander, part South African, part Cockney! There's a lot of old Bugs Bunny cartoons around like that too!

Actually Mel is one of my big peeves. The guy is an anti-Semite!

Ah, yeah. He didnt do himself any favours did he?

Actually on celebrities - am I the only person who just seems to take a huge dislike to someone based on absolutely nothing?

I cannont STAND Russell Crowe, Nicole Kidman nor that troll Mischa Barton. She's never done anything to me, but I hate her. My gut clenches everytime I see a picture of her. I hate every little thing about her.

Ok, gotta stop now, someone might have me committed.

By the way, after reading your peeves, I'm now scared of you. :biggrin1:

;) Oh, dont worry. As long as you dont have any blue paint, patchwork or mismatched crockery in your house and you dont try to imitate an Aussie accent, you're my friend!

Enterprise01....how about the difference between a West Texan and a Piney Woods Texan? I live in central Texas and can hear those differences pretty clearly too!

People with greasy hair....wash it!

Babies in public (usually Wamart) half undressed, or without footies on their feet....what is it about Walmart?

People who say anywaysss. Its anyway. There is no "s" on it and never will be.

Cat/dog hair. I have two dogs and 2 cats and most of my wardrobe is black. Big problem in my house!

That the most entitled patients I take care of (I am a nurse) are the ones who don't have any insurance or any way of paying for the care they are getting. (They all get high quality care from me regardless.)

Hmmmmmm, I'll think of some more....

Actually Mel is one of my big peeves. The guy is an anti-Semite!
And utterly wacko. Like father, like son.

Whomever commented on "fixin to" - they say that here, too. And "'bout like to". As in, "He got so mad, he 'bout like to kill me" or "If he didn't stop yelling I was 'bout like to tape his mouth shut."

*cringe*