Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Just Us Guys

I finally got my date. I have Pre Op on 12/27 and I get my band on 12/31. Dr. Wright will be doing the surgery at NIX Hosp. in San Antonio Tx. I will start 08 with the means to finally control my weight. I've been fighting my weight for more than one half a century. At age 14 I was 214 Lb and it has been a YO YO all of my life. Two years ago LOML got a gym membership, I stepped on the scales and it read 299.5 Lb., My waist was a snug 48 and I hurt all over. I went on a GI diet and started losing weight but after 50 Lb. it slowed and we knew something else had to be done. That is when LOML pointed out an ad about the Lap Band. After hearing Dr. Wright and talking with him I knew this could be the tool I needed to finally take control. Medicare is paying for the operation so there is a mandated overnight stay in the Hospital. Also they say the operation has to done in a Center of Excellence. So I guess I'm on my way and it looks like I'm good company from all the posts I've read.

Gene

ok fellas ... i'm from shreveport louisiana and i had my band July 2, 2007 ... initially i lost close to 40lbs but slowly started to regain about 5lbs ... was told that the band was too tight on my last filling so it was loosen ... my major question is .. am i doing something wrong cause i'm not losing weight as i thought i would ... i've been fairly careful what i eat and am learning not to drink during or right after eating ... i'm single dont really cook and exercising i know i should do but with such a busy schedule i dont ... any advice from anyone .... thanks ....

I think the give away is the lack of exercise. For the lap band to work (or any diet for that matter) you need to combine healthy eating with exercise. We all understand busy schedules, but even if you can fit in 20 minutes of exercise a few times a week, it's better than not doing any. Without the exercise, if you continue following the dietary guidelines for the band, you should lose, albeit slowly.

Aloha Keith

Exercise is the key, I have a very busy schedule too. So I go to the gym in morning when everyone else is sleeping, except my DSW she has the band also and goes to the gym with me. Where up at 4:30am in the gym by 5:00am at work by 7:00 am. I got my band on 7/11/07 have lost a total of 95Lbs. (20 pre op) it's hard work, but you can do this. The time in the gym is your time, you deserve it ! Good luck and all the best to you. Remember "The only easy day, was yesterday"

Aloha

BWD

Heard a great quote from Huckabee, the presidential canidate. He apparently lost 100+ pounds over the last few years. When asked how he finds time to work out he said "I don't find the time, I make the time." If you wait for the time to come to you it aint gonna happen.

Heard a great quote from Huckabee, the presidential canidate. He apparently lost 100+ pounds over the last few years. When asked how he finds time to work out he said "I don't find the time, I make the time." If you wait for the time to come to you it aint gonna happen.

I Like Mike! Check him out! Here

Hi Reggie

I am Bob in Toronto. I got my lap-band on Aug 7 2007.

I love my band. In mid June I weighed 353 pounds (most of which was around my waist. On Aug 7 my surgery day I weighed 330. Now I weigh 265 pounds. Did I mention I love my band ?

It is not magic, it is a tool. For me it helped because I am a binge eater and an emotional eater. My band reminds me to make good choices at the food store and when I eat. Also why I eat. I still have to do the work , but it helps.

I am 42 and I needed to lose the weight or I would not live until 60 for sure. Maybe before that I would have had dietetes or more back pain or ? I needed something to help me to lose the weight and keep it off. That is also important, we have all lost the weight at one time or more. Then it comes back, not now. With enought fills we can not eat the sheer volume of food I eat before. Plus I will still be making good decisions.

For me I did not want the by pass. Too many deaths, like 1 in 200. For lap-band it is like 1 in 5000. It is laproscopic surgery no big cutting and long time healing. Lapband can be taken out if you don't like it. The same easy way it went in.

There are too many extra problems with bypass. People cant absorb Vitamins and they tend to have a problem where they have at times no bowel control called dumping.

The lap band is not extreme.

It may be a bit slower than the bypass. However people do lose the weight and keep it off. Not necessary so with the bypass, as some people have re gained the weight.

Good luck to you.

Bob

Thanks for the advice. I am still waiting for my surgery date to be scheduled. It probably won't take place until late January or early February 2008. I will you posted.

Hey Everyone! The time is getting close for me. Can hardly wait. My wife and I are taking the kids skiing after Christmas then come home for a few days until we fly to San Diego.

Just wanted to touch base with everyone and wish you and your families a Great Christmas and Wonderful New Year.

Hi guys,

Not sure if this belongs in the SV/NSV post, but I wanted to let the newbies know that the band offers a real solution. As of yesterday, I'm down 80 pounds! It takes a certain level of commitment to achieve results, but the band certainly makes it a LOT easier.

Matt

I get banded on Christmas Eve. I dunno how much I weigh right now, if I had to guess, I'd say 280. Last year I was at 426, got down to 280 with diet and exercise. I want to band to lose the last 100 and more importantly to make sure the weight stays off for good.

Four days away and I'm still not nervous yet. I was even brave enough to watch a boatload of "when surgery goes wrong" shows on TLC last night. LOL

Christmas Eve??? I would be afraid of how much egg nog my surgeon had that day. You really did great on your own. Good luck with that last 100.

OK everyone .. OK ;) ... exercise .. exercise .. exercise ... do something is what everyone is telling me ... i'll stop thinking about it and get off my bum and do it .. join a gym again and get on board ... next time we chat hopefully things will change ... thanks everyone for the help .. :( cheers .. have a great holiday everyone and hope the new year brings everything you guys want ...

Try some eggnog.

Merry Christmas.

Hey Band Brothers,

I'm on my way. I researched this for about 2 months before attending the initial seminar. I work for the State and have Anthem BC/BS of Connecticut. I know of a few co workers that have had the bypass but I don't know of any "banders". I HOPE IT IS NOT GOING TO BE A LONG DRAWN OUT FIGHT WITH THE INSURANCE COMPANY. I have high blood pressure, High Choles.,boarderline diabetis, acid reflux and have tried a few diets. I lost weight well but, the minute I stopped the pounds came back with extra baggage. I'm hoping to be banded the last week of Feb 08 at the latest.

You guys have been a great encouragement because the thought of a surgery jus scares me to be honest. I plan to go to Dr. Erhlick @ St. Vincents in Bridgeport. He is highly recommended. My cousin had him and has had no gas pain, no port problems and has lost quite a bit of weight since her surgery. Thanks again for all of your stories guys. Congratulations to all of you who have have braved the surgery and begun to reach your weight loss goals.

42, 5'11", 300lbs, BMI = 41,

12/11/07 - Initial Seminar

12/12/07 - Dr.s office called to set up and appt. w/ surgeon

12/18/07 - Dietician Visit/ Therapist Visit

01/03/08 - Dr. Erhlick appt.

?????? What's Next????????