Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Just Us Guys

Well today is day six post op and I am feeling considerably better pain-wise. I drink my four Protein Drinks a day with 2 other full liquid meals and I am probably nauseous more than I am hungry. Yesterday I was really weak and couldn't even think too clearly. I don't know what caused that. But today is a whole another world.

John and Sandy, thanks for words of encouragement and your tips. I bought a couple of cases of fruit 2O Water and I've been downing that the past several days. It tastes pretty good and allows me to get my water intake, although I tell you it's still hard to drink that much of anything!

The good news? The weight/inches are falling off. I think I've lost about 6-8 pounds in the last 6 days.

Pizzaman,

Glad to hear your feeling better, at least I'll know when I get to your stage that there will be light at the end of the tunnel. I've really tried to watch what I've been eating, trying to get myself ready for the pre-op diet next week (22nd). Not lookin forward to it but ya gotta take the bad with the good!

Keep me post as what to expect. We already know the good lookin nurse's are out! :) Keep up the good work on the weight loss, sound's like your ahead of schedule, good job! Steve

Steve, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and I do see it.

I didn't do anything to prepare me for my pre-op diet other than to eat some things that I knew I wouldn't be eating for a long, long time (like steak, pizza :), etc.) and I was fine throughout pre-op. If your doctor didn't give you any instructions, then enjoy your food (in moderation) before you are restricted from many of your favorite foods.

It definitely gets better and better!

Neal- keep us posted on your prep for surgery. I'm kind of up in the air hoping most of the skin magically dissappears! At my age I doubt it will.... Good luck!

Bruce

It definitely gets better and better!

Neal- keep us posted on your prep for surgery. I'm kind of up in the air hoping most of the skin magically dissappears! At my age I doubt it will.... Good luck!

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. I think I am more nervous about this one than I was my Bnad surgery. I will try to post updates here. It a strange thing as I have found very few men who have had or shared their experience.

good to see you are feeling better pizzaman. im hoping i will be there soon. this last 2-3 months is so lonng it seems.

Alright here goes, finally made time to go to Walmart to get some of the things I thought I might need to get this show on the road. As I dont do the grocery shopping, I really had no idea where to find the "diet corner".

I didnt have a list with me, just winging it, trying to remember what I had read on here. I had no idea there were a million different kind's of Crystal Light. I didnt find protien bars or drinks that sounded familure. Then some lady told me to look in Pharmacy.

I found more there but then wasnt sure which one was the right one. So now I'm back here TRYING to find what it is that I need, a list of some sort, what's good and what's not. I read on here "somewhere" about "unflavored protien powder"???

Also stopped by GNC, found the 100% whey Protien powder, but once again wasnt sure. So I'm headed back to read a bunch of other post and try an find what I'm lookin for. Anybody buying in bulk and where if so??? If I'm going to do this just as well save a little money where ya can. Wife is going to "diet" along with me! Take Care, Steve

Hi Guys Mick from Brisbane Australia here. I am being banded on the 5th Feb. Just wondering if anyone has tried baby food for the mushie stage? I have found some great sounding varieties, Lamb Rogan josh, Beef and vegetables etc! What do you think?

I know everyone's diet plan is a little differant, but here is somethings that I did and found that worked well. Did you doctor give you a list of things to take each week. Are doctor gave us a list and worked reeal well.

The week before surgery I was on a Clear Liquids only. After surgery I was on liquids the first week. The doctor said that we could drink milk, have carnation instant Breakfast, yoguart. I was able to get enough protien with that. I also drink some ensure that week.

The second/third week I was on soft foods. He said that if you grind it up real well you would do just fine. I was able to eat meeat, scramble eggs, etc.

The fourth week I was back to eating normal things. The only differance was I could not eat a full meal and it took a long time to eat.

I will say that one thing I have been drinking a lot of is the vitiam D Water in differant flavors I love it.

My doctor has said that you can try anything and everything you would like. My wife was banded a week before by the same doctor and she has a hard time with some founds including breads and bagles but I have no problems with that. I have had some problems if I was to eat to fast etc. I do notice that I leave a lot of bread from a hambuger or other things once I start to eat food. Are doctor said you should try to get about 50 - 60 grams of protien a day.

I hope that this will help you all out. If you have any questions just ask. Iam now 18 weeks out and will be getting another fill on 1/28/08

Chris

I was banded on Jan 10 and things are going great. I have not been hungry at all... however sometimes I feel like I need to eat. I know sounds crazy but that is how I will describe it for now.

Anyway I weighed in at 353 pre op in Mexico with Dr. Kuri and today I weighed in at 331...

That makes the liquid stage work for me.... I drink the Winn dixie brand drinkable yogurt and slim fast with Protein. I am walking everyday and hope to add more miles as the days go by....

Yesterday my daughter made me a banana smoothie..... I was up for hours with horrible gas. So that is now a No for me.

Thanks and good luck to all.

Dane

353/331/230ish

preop/current/goa

My mini goal less than 300 by Feb. 1, 2008

FLMan / Dane,

Congrad's on your surgery, sound's like your coming along great. Hope you meet your Feb. goal. I know there are other's on here that were banded in Mexico along with yourself. My delima is I'm already scheduled for surgery Feb. 5th and am having second thought's.

Not about the surgery, about where to have it done. $7,500 vs $16,500 is a hell of a difference and I have a neice that could use the same surgery. Being selfpay I could buy airline ticket's and go to Mexico and get "2 for 1".

I like the Dr. I'm scheduled with but not sure what to do. I assume you have a Dr. here to do your fill's? Any pro's or con's regarding Mexico? Did you stay in S.D. and go over day before surgery, do they set all this up? Any info would be very helpful.

Thanx, Steve

Steve,

I did the samething... MEXICO NO WAY!! Let me tell you that after lots of prayers and research I feel like I did the right thing.

After loads of research I found two doctors I liked... Kuri and Ortiz. Kuri won my vote he uses hospital has done it longer and close to the border.

I called his office 888-223-4046 (Lap Band Surgery - Dr. Kuri & Associates) made an appointment. Called airline got my tickets from Florida USAIR was $99 at the time. Called back to Kuri they made all my arrangements with hotel. They met me at the airport took me to the hospital. I had fasted for 7 hours so I was ready for the doctor visit and all the test. (EKG, Bloodwork, etc.) After I was cleared I went across the street grab a light meal. I returned to the hospital at 6:30 where we all (5 scheduled the next day) met with Kuri. He gave us our time based on BMI. My wife and I spent the night in the hospital had surgery the next day. I stayed one more night in the hospital and then Miguel (the driver) took my wife and I to the hotel and flew home on Sunday. Total trip was Wed - Thurs.

My entire trip was so easy. The hospital in Mexico was great. Nurses are 3 patients for every 1 nurse so you are very well taken care of.... GREAT EXPERIENCE!!

Good Luck to you.

Dane

HELP!!! I thought after you got a fill you would feel a restriction which would help you in your eating. I got a fill Jan 2 and have no restriction and I am almost back to the way I ate before the band. I am starving and feel nothing, I am very dissapointed with this surgery. It cost 23,000 and I lost 30 lbs after the surgery and gained back 20 I eat what I want and no restriction. If I eat 4 ounces I am starving what do I DO??? HELP!!!!!l

FLMan,

Dane, I said something to my wife earlier about Mexico, first word's were NO WAY! We've been to TJ when my son graduated Marines boot camp. Where we were was dirty to say the least. That's why the negative feedback from her, but I must admit hearing all the post about Mexico I thought the same.

Was there a Phyic evaluation?

Motel in S.D. surely wasnt included in the price was it?

Wed & Thurs in hospital, spent from then on (Sun) at motel, gone 5 days?

Feel like sightseeing?

They made arrangments for motel and someone to pick you up?

Also, I dont speak spanish, is that a problem?

Dont mean to be like a lil kid in the back seat, "are we there yet dad!" I just feel like I'm on the hot seat all of a sudden and need to make up my mind. I'm going thru with it, just not sure where! I start my pre-op diet Jan. 22nd if I do it here, wonder how busy they are and could they squeeze me in for the same surgery time??? Guess I'll never know until I pick up the phone!

Thanx a million, Steve