Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Just Us Guys

Sorry to hear about the hiccups, but it looks like you're past them, and are a free man now. Yeah, it looks like it smarts a bit, but that's temporary - soon you'll have finished the whole damn trip, man!

Congratulations!

Thanks I appreciate that

Way to go Ousooner ! Glad your feeling better now. I can't wait to get my TT. I just can't imagine having a flat stomache. I won't be able to get mine until I am back from Iraq next January so my guess the skin may tighten up a little.

Out of curiosity if you don't mind answering. How much did it run you cost wise? Just wondering about how much I need to stick away for it.

Thanks. Good luck in Iraq. Wishing you well. It cost me $8640 for everything, but then had to add an additional $1400 for the extra 2 days in the hospital

Hi guys. I am two weeks post op now and am loosing weight at a good rate (-13.8kg 30lbs since starting preop). I am over the moon with the weight loss but I feel soooo tired. Have any of you felt this I seem to need to sleep all the time. I am back at work this week but I have an understanding boss and plenty of sick leave so I have just done half days this week so far. I like to sleep but I slept about 9 hrs last night, got up while my wife got ready for work the had a nap before I go night shift. What are your thoughts?

Yes, I was tired for almost 2 wks post-op. I was told it is due to the surgery and the anesthesia and your body recuperating. Don't worry, it will get better. Congrats on the weight loss.

It is hard to believe that it was six months ago this week and next week that my wife and I were banded. Time sure has gone by fast. Combined we have lost over 70 lbs. We have had three fills each. I have a total of 5.2 cc in my band and I think she has 4cc. She has lost over 32 pounds and I have lost 45 since my high of 250 in June of 2007.

We went for are 6 month check-up with the surgeon and he feels that we are doing really well. He also feels that we are almost or right at the sweet spot. He could have done an adjustment next week but we both felt that it might make us to tight and would have to come back for an unfill. He did leave it open that if we felt that we needed a fill that we could call him and go in and have it done. He also said that we are on track with loosing 1-3 lbs a week and that by September which will be one year that we should be down another 30- 40 lbs. With summer coming on and able to get out and do more exercise etc. I really feel that we will make it.

We are both very please so far with the loss in weight, and wish to thank every one for all your support, advice and friendship. Without I doubt we would be here today. I will say that the last 9 months have gone real fast and we have seen a lot of changes in our lives in regards to health and other issues. It has been a real learning experience. People have asked if it has been easy? I would have to tell them no it has not. I tell them that what you have to do is to take baby steps (or one step at a time). It is something that will no happen overnight. It takes a lot of work to change lifestyles and eating habits. It is something that does not happen overnight. One of the biggest issues I have dealt with is when going out and eating with other people is trying to eat real slowly while they are eating real fast. I will say that it has caused me to slim a lot and to have a few bp’s. I have also had issues with some types of foods. I eat most foods and not have a problem. I have had some issues with shredded pork, real thin potatoes. I have also notice that when eating sandwiches I do not eat hardly any of the bread. The head hunger is still there. My body is still trying to adjust to the fact that Iam eating less. My stomach still says I am hungry even though I am full. I really wish there was a way you can control this.

We have both notices changes in are bodies, we are down in clothes sizes, are bodies are a lot thinner and we have also noticed that we get colder easier than before. We are able to do a lot more things and spend longer times on them. For myself I have seen changes in my sleep apnea. I have gone from a setting of 12 down to a setting of 7. I am going from the machine to a herbest dental retainer to wear at night while sleeping. Iam only getting about 2 hours a night with the mask on. The doctor feels that this will work a lot better for me, since some people have problems. We have both gone to a new doctor who is band friendly and understands the issues that we are dealing with. I saw him on Monday as well and he said the blood pressure and all the blood test were good expect for my uric acid (gout) which is still high. Were not sure if the gout will go away or not at this time. My wife has had her meds changed and is slowly getting off of insulin and her other meds as well.

I know this is long but it has been a while since I have posted and I also wanted the new people that are coming in and getting ready for this procedure to understand that it does take work, it is not going to happen overnight and that the rewards are great. This has been one of the best things that we have done and would do it again.

Chris

Way to go Chris ! Congrats on your (and your wifes) success. Sounds like you are in a great state of mind. Keep it up and look forward to your next post.

:thumbup:Awesome job I was banded July 23rd. I have lost 42ish lbs and was worried but now that I see guys are right around the same it makes me feel better. I just had my first fill and they put on 5.5cc in a 14cc band and it is helping alot. I have to change alot of eating habitts since the fill. I look forward to your next post. God Bless and Good Luck.:drool::thumbup:

I have not yet had the surgury but have one more GP doctors appt and have been through the physcological test. I expect to be able to schedule my surgery sometime in April. I am a Senior Account Manager (that just means I am a sales guy who has been around a while.) I spend a lot of time on the road so preplanned meals and stopping to eat at a proper place is often hard. I am looking for any information I can find on how to manage eating on the road.

Chris - Great work :drool: Thanks for taking the time to give us details. I am going through preop screening now and hope to make the same kind of progress you are some day soon :tongue2:

John

Chris, nice work! Congratulations!

Thanks for stopping in and letting us know about your progress - it really helps when people who've been in the program for a while give us newbies some idea of what to expect. Keep up the good work!

And lakrull: if you're going to be on the road, the best thing to do is to make sure you understand the principles of how your band works - what foods you can eat, and what foods you shouldn't. You can pretty much always find something to eat at any restaurant, but it'd be a good idea to bring, like, a Protein Shake or something (like a can of Slimfast Optima) as a back-up for those times you're overworked and can't get into a restaurant or food shop to pick something up.

That is fantastic! I hope to have mine in April. My weight is very close to your start weight. If I am where you are next year I will be one happy camper!

I have not yet had the surgury but have one more GP doctors appt and have been through the physcological test. I expect to be able to schedule my surgery sometime in April. I am a Senior Account Manager (that just means I am a sales guy who has been around a while.) I spend a lot of time on the road so preplanned meals and stopping to eat at a proper place is often hard. I am looking for any information I can find on how to manage eating on the road.

It appears that you and I are at the same stage. I am waiting to be scheduled for surgery. It has been difficult maintaining my goal weight. I have used Protein mixes in juice drinks that have not been too bad. When I first start preparing, I used to drink sparkling Water. I miss this beverage the most. I have had indigestion and other minor digestive problems but chewing my Tums have help. I hope you have great success and lets keep in contact for support.

Sleep Apena NSV

I found out last June that I had sleep apena and started using the CPAP machine about a month before being banded. I had a pressure setting of 12 and now down to a 7. I have lost close to 50lbs since being banded 6 months ago. I have been having problems with to much air etc. along with not wearing the mask the whole night. I talked to the doctor about it and he suggested that we try using a dental device instead. Insurance approved me for the device and I have started to use it and it is great. Here are pictures of the device. The dentist who deals only with sleep apnea feels that this device will work for me and that she wants to do a sleep study in about 4-6 months to ensure that it is working. If it is working then I will not need to use the CPAP.

tn?sid=401335862&mid=ADpVv9EAAO2jR%2b4UdQptqTnyNyA&partid=2&f=368&fid=Inbox Scan and Save to Computer

Herbst_anterior_close_up.jpg (651k) [View]

tn?sid=401335862&mid=ADpVv9EAAO2jR%2b4UdQptqTnyNyA&partid=3&f=368&fid=Inbox Scan and Save to Computer

HErbst_elastic_holder_buried.jpg (525k) [View]

tn?sid=401335862&mid=ADpVv9EAAO2jR%2b4UdQptqTnyNyA&partid=4&f=368&fid=Inbox Scan and Save to Computer

Herbst_heavy_hardware_side.jpg (548k) [View]

tn?sid=401335862&mid=ADpVv9EAAO2jR%2b4UdQptqTnyNyA&partid=5&f=368&fid=Inbox Scan and Save to Computer

HErbst_heavy_Herner.jpg (618k) [View]

Photos: tr14x15_1.giftn?sid=401335862&mid=ADhVv9EAATlQR%2b2QQwDn5WvjHpw&partid=2&f=368&fid=Inbox Scan and Save to Computer

HErbst_Chris_Walters_2008_front.jpg (701k) [View]

tn?sid=401335862&mid=ADhVv9EAATlQR%2b2QQwDn5WvjHpw&partid=3&f=368&fid=Inbox Scan and Save to Computer

HErbst_Chris_Walters_2008_front_1.jpg (689k) [View]

tn?sid=401335862&mid=ADhVv9EAATlQR%2b2QQwDn5WvjHpw&partid=4&f=368&fid=Inbox Scan and Save to Computer

So far the dental device seems to be working.

Chris

That's cool Chris. The only downside to dental devices is that they work by thrusting your jaw "out and up" all night, so you may notice a litle soreness when you wake in the mornings....

Hey Chris,

How did you know to adjust your pressure down to 7. I have been hesitant to adjust mine which I have been using for about a year but I feel I am getting way to much air.