Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Just Us Guys

OK, I've been reading about the tummy tucks - i'm so looking forward to getting my band on mar 18th and loosing the weight - but, the thoughts of hanging skin (not to offend anyone) seem almost worst than being fat - I'm 6'4", 330lb, 50 in waist - any suggestions to avoid hanging skin or is it inevitable? Thanks.

Great question. There really isn't much you can do about the loose skin. Their are factors that contribute to it, like how long youve been obese, your age, genetics, and things like that, but there is really no external factors that help. Excersize can build muscles to replace some of the space that creates the extra skin, but no real effective.

I am having a TT tomorrow, so i think I can give a good perspective. If I couldn't get a TT, I would still be extremely happy. While I don't like the extra skin, I would take that ove the fat that used to be there any day. I am healthy - I am no longer borderline diabetic, high blood pressure, or sleep apnea. I can shop for clothes at normal stores. I went from a 56' waist to a 36' waist.

Hope that helps and best of luck

Need a lil help here finding a post.

Awhile back someone posted (I think in the Men's Room) about walking and working your way into jogging. If this ring's a bell to anyone and you know how to find it could ya please let me know?

Tomorrow it'll be a week since surgery, although still plenty tender I feel the need to start some sort of program before going back to work in the spring.

Thanx in advance, Steve

Steve....

There is a fantastic program called Couch to 5k which gets you slowly back into jogging.

I started it in October.

On Sat i ran my first 10K non stop because this program slowly built me up.

Therre r threads ono the exercise part about it.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the Post/Op updates. I'm dreading the gas pains. That seems to be the major complaint of most new banders. I heard walking, heating pads and more walking helps.

42, 300.9lbs, 5'11", BMI = 41

12/08/07 - Initial Seminar

12/18/07 - Therapist & Nutritionist Appts.

01/03/08 - Met w/ Dr. Ehrlich - Surgeon, Bloodwork, Gallbladder ultrasound

01/08/08 - Primary Care, EKG, more bloodwork

01/15/08 - Blasted the PC office so the Surgeon's billing dept. should have all of my paperwork

01/29/08 -I got my band date 03/04/08 at St. Vincents in Bridgeport, CT, my pre op diet begins on 2/14/08.

I'm eating all of my favorite foods this week because it's going to a long time before I can eat solid food again. Some of my favorites I may never have again. Good Luck to all you guys.

Hey, Neal - thanks for all your inspiration! I hope it went smoothly today.

And whosyadaddy - nice work on the weight loss, and on the 10K! It's great to see someone making it happen. And it's also particularly good to see someone with a high start weight - any particular tips for dealing with a higher BMI during this process? If I can get even a half of your weight loss in that time, I'll be pretty stoked.

CTMan - I'm following two days after you. God and the insurance company willing...

whosyadaddy,

Hey I did go back and finally find the "couch to 5K" program, thanx for the help. I knew I had read it before but wasnt sure where to find it again. I havent jogged since high school (30+ yrs ago) my problem is aching ankles, weak knee's & squeeky hips! I started walking a lil just before surgery and ankles were telling me to stop!

My therory on exercise has always been, "your knee's are made to bend so many time's, so why wear them out before their time!"

With the loss of 43 lbs already in the last 5 weeks (w/o walking) I'm sure it will become easier with less weight. Did you have any aches & pains when starting this program and how did you deal with them? Also how soon post-op should one try this? I'm one week post-op today & still plenty sore.

Thanx in advance for any further help, I look forward to giving this a go ASAP.

PS. anyone looking for this "Couch to 5K" program, go to the home page, click "exercise" and start scrolling down until you find it.

Good Luck all, Steve

Hey guys.

Yes i had aches and pains. But the couch to 5k is all about buiding up your joints and muscles to get used to it. I took alot of Calcium LOTS of Water and viatmins. after a few weeks no pain with it at all.

I Swam for about 8 weeks post op before i tried it.

High BMI tips? I dont really know. Just keep at it. Its hard at first but get easier!

Hey guys.

Yes i had aches and pains. But the couch to 5k is all about buiding up your joints and muscles to get used to it. I took alot of Calcium LOTS of Water and viatmins. after a few weeks no pain with it at all.

I Swam for about 8 weeks post op before i tried it.

High BMI tips? I dont really know. Just keep at it. Its hard at first but get easier!

WHOSYADADDY - Man you are like the most encouraging band brother , WOW, 100lbs. in 5mos. That would be the best birthday gift for me. You just motivated me to work that much harder. Thanks for posting and thanks for working so hard.

Keep up the great , CTMAN

Ah your welcome CT Man.....I try to workout everyday ..on average i miss about 2-3 days a month normally because im flying somewhere. I travel for work a good bit so i have to find local gyms all the time.

Ive been stalled for the last 2 weeks so im really pushing to break through this plateau. I know ive been eating a little too much choclatte of late so im trying to get out of this bad habbit. I dont want you thinking i eat perfectly!

Ive really upped my Water the last week ...basically drink water till your pee is clear! Takes me about 2.5-3liters to do that.

I absoultley cant wait to ride my bicycle this summer here on the lake and trails. Also getting back on my motorcycle with 100 pounds gone sure is going to feel good.

I can buy clothes in reg stores now!!!!! I cant tell you how amazing that is to me!!,. And i pay$15 for a shirt instead of $50 at the big and tall stores!!!!

You keep it up CT! It is possible to do it! Just make exersise a part of your life and soon you will love it (i NEVER thought id like it!)

i am back tj was good have some pain:thumbsup: but its ok 6 holes in my gut ?:D took 30 min to do thay are fast good place to go:seeya:

Hey, Neal - thanks for all your inspiration! I hope it went smoothly today.

And whosyadaddy - nice work on the weight loss, and on the 10K! It's great to see someone making it happen. And it's also particularly good to see someone with a high start weight - any particular tips for dealing with a higher BMI during this process? If I can get even a half of your weight loss in that time, I'll be pretty stoked.

CTMan - I'm following two days after you. God and the insurance company willing...

Thanks for thinking about me. I did ok, was held in the hospital 2 extra night due to a low grade fever and low blood pressure. Very happy with the results though. I have to admit it hurts pretty bad, but it will be worth it I am sure. I have never in my life had a flat stomach, so this is very strange to see. Its interesting to see my port scar. I used to be about 5 inches above my belly button, now it is even with it. This pic is one day post op

1dayPO.jpg

Sorry to hear about the hiccups, but it looks like you're past them, and are a free man now. Yeah, it looks like it smarts a bit, but that's temporary - soon you'll have finished the whole damn trip, man!

Congratulations!

Hi guys. I am two weeks post op now and am loosing weight at a good rate (-13.8kg 30lbs since starting preop). I am over the moon with the weight loss but I feel soooo tired. Have any of you felt this I seem to need to sleep all the time. I am back at work this week but I have an understanding boss and plenty of sick leave so I have just done half days this week so far. I like to sleep but I slept about 9 hrs last night, got up while my wife got ready for work the had a nap before I go night shift. What are your thoughts?

Way to go Ousooner ! Glad your feeling better now. I can't wait to get my TT. I just can't imagine having a flat stomache. I won't be able to get mine until I am back from Iraq next January so my guess the skin may tighten up a little.

Out of curiosity if you don't mind answering. How much did it run you cost wise? Just wondering about how much I need to stick away for it.